“Still in love with the Excellence”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed March 2, 2010

It has been 6 months since our honeymoon at the Excellence and I still can't believe how wonderful it was! The staff is what made our stay so enjoyable. They couldn't be any nicer or more willing to get you what you need. We still keep in touch through e-mail with Miguel from the front entrance because he truly is wonderful. Cesar and Juan also did a great job of making the activities and games fun. I have never felt so taken care of in my life. They really make you feel special and pampered. We went in August, which is classified as hurricane season, but it only rained for 10 minutes on our first day and then it was beautiful. A little humid, but we're from St. Louis so we're used to that. We never had any trouble finding a lounge chair on the beach or had to wait to get into a restaurant.
Restaurant choices were great. You can find something for everyone. I definitely ate more than usual because everything is included and so delicious. I know they say tipping is included in the price, but you can't help but tip the staff because they are so great and attentive.
We didn't go on any excursions, but we found that there were enough activities and lounging to keep us occupied at the resort. It was nice that it's an adults only resort since we were on our honeymoon and could really relax.
I can't say enough nice things about the Excellence. The scenery is gorgeous, the hotel is well kept and beautifully landscaped, and the staff is first class.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gphibgal
Write a ReviewReviews (13,665)

Reviewed March 1, 2010

Our arrival was met with some problems for a friend .... We were astounded the attention paid to this by the desk clerk..Marvin. This gentleman sent us to the restaurant to eat while he took care of arrangements...when finished he had everything arranged, baggage in the rooms .... It felt so great after a long trip...Bravo Marvin..
The resort is beautiful....from the buildings to the grounds to the ocean front and beach....It is a very welll maintained site.....The food was of high quality and we enjoyed the variety and the service......Having travelled to many of the caribbean islands, this is one resort I would definately return to by far.
The one word you will hear from the staff constantly if "Excellente"....this is their motto and they live by it......their service was impeccable and genuine...wonderful people...well chosen...Their was one young man that impressed the most...his name...Juan Estrella... of the entertainment team..What a warm honest friendly young man...Over the week we drew very close to him and was hard leaving him behind....truly a gentleman with a genuine concern for your well being..Being a businessman, I look for people of this nature when hiring....a great plus for the resort ... will definately look for his on our return.

As a last note, the management.....I believe they have the customers in mind, it showed in many ways.....congratulations on job well done.....

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank thesignshopinc
Reviewed March 1, 2010

We stayed at the Excellence punta cana for two weeks. The hotel lives up to its name, the staff there were all absolutely brilliant and the brochure doesnt give it the credit it deserves. We also met some wonderful people and cant wait to go back next year 2011.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank flintstone3
Reviewed February 28, 2010

My husband and I went to Exellence for our honeymoon in july! It was a beautiful and amazing time, the service was wonderful and the staff was incredibly friendly! I want to take a moment to thank the resort photographer Fran! We decided to have pictures taken called "Trash the dress" They were beautiful! I loved them more than my real wedding pictures! Fran Thank you so much!!!! I definately reccomend setting up an appointment with Fran if you want to take home romantic pictures on the beach, with film of the highest quality and incredibly affordable....we couldn't be happier! Take a look at a few of the pics Fran took ....we ended up with more than 80 pictures!
Ps: don't take the ocean waves too lightly....the second to last day...my husband dislocated and fractured his shoulder swimming....the resort medical office was great though!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2010

My stay at the Excellence Resort left me feeling 100 percent satisfied. All of the staff there were friendly, outgoing, and professional at all times. We were greeted throughout the day and they were always more then willing to accomadate us to the best of their ability. Whenever we needed something, someone was there to get it for us. The service throughout the resort, even in crowded restautrants, was exceptional. We were seated and served quickly and efficiently. The entertainment was one of my favorite parts of this resort. There were an endless amount of activities for us to take part in throughout the day and evening hours. We always had something to do, wheater it be relax at a lobby bar or hang out at the casino. The nightly shows were also great. We were also satisfied with our room. It was always clean and everything worked properly. Overall, this was an exceptional trip and if I ever return to the DR, I would definetely stay at this resort again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I cannot say enough about this resort. It was breathtaking. I am sure I wouldn't do it justice by trying to describe it. If you are planning your anniversary or honeymoon, you must consider this resort. The honeymoon/anniversary packages are better than others we have visited. We travel every year in February for our wedding anniversary, and this has been the best BY FAR. When booking your vacation, indicate you are on your honeymoon/anniversary (and make sure you bring your marriage license!) and you will be treated like royalty. My husband and I received 1) a free couples massage worth over $200, 2) a romantic dinner on the beach, an upgrade sold for $165, and 3) a romantic breakfast in bed. This is THE place for couples celebrating marriage.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mccubma
Reviewed February 28, 2010

We absolutely loved our stay at Excellence. Our stay was almost perfect. I know this is a long review, but if you are going to the Dominican, please read the "Shopping/Tipping" section. I also really recommend the day trip to Santo Domingo, if you're intrested in seeing a bit more of the country.

Food:
We enjoyed every meal we ate there, but our favourite restaurants were Barcelona and Spice, and the Italian restaurant had great canaloni. The breakfast buffet every morning was perfect, with a huge selection of food. The lunch buffet was also very good, and had an accompanying piano player who played beautifully.

Staff and Service:
The staff was very courteous and polite. Everyone I encountered spoke English and had a smile on their face. We never had to ask for anything, there was always someone there offering a drink, or a towel, before we even thought of it. I'm not sure if anyone from the hotel reads these reviews, but I want to say a special thank you to Wilson, who worked the front desk at night. He was very polite and helpfull and deserves a bonus ;)

Entertainment:
The entertainment was great, couldn't have asked for anything better. The Michael Jackson tribute is a must, and the Mongolian Circus was really good too. There was also a very good saxaphone player and singing trio that would be in the lobby before and after shows.

Beach/Pool/Grounds:
The main pool was huge, and very clean. We didn't swim in the cascade pool, because it was at the complete opposite end of the resort from our room, but it looked very nice and private. There were always plenty of pool/beach chairs to go around too. The beach was great, and if you walk North from the resort it will be almost completely deserted. You will also find calm areas to swim that way. You can't really "swim" in front of the resort, because the waves were absolutely huge. They were very fun to play in in front of the lifeguards, though. The grounds were beautiful, and the "Nature Park" was a really nice touch. I fed flamingos from my hand, which was one of the highlights of my stay.

Rooms:
I've saved the room review for last because it was the only thing that wasn't absolutely perfect. We stayed in an Ocean View room. If I remember correctly, the number was 14103. The room had a slight musty smell, which you have to expect when you're staying in such a humid climate. However, apart from that, our shower leaked and it took about 3 minutes each time for our water to get to a bearable (not hot) temperature. Also our screen door kept coming off the track. It was a little dissapointing, but we were hardly in our room, and the rest of the resort was so perfect that we forgot about it after a day or two.

Shopping/Tipping:
I highly recommend that you get all of your souvenirs at Nancy's beside the resort, or Columbus Plaza if you go outside the resort (Or the other store they take you to on the Santo Domingo trip). The Columbus Plaza had the least expensive prices of everywhere we went, but Nancy's was incredibly reasonable as well, and they let you browse without bothering you. Stay away from Daniel Boone's place, unless you're an incredibly firm bargainer.

The last thing I have to say is to PLEASE TIP GENEROUSLY. These people work incredibly hard, and they only make $300 (most employees) to $600 (High up employees) a month. We saw the prices in some of the grocery stores and they were the same prices as food is here in Canada. We've also since learned that it costs them around $200 a month to supply power to their homes. They aren't making very much money, and get most of their living wage from tips. Again, please tip them, and try to tip everyone, not just your maid/mini bar stocker/bartender. The front desk workers, bell boys, and especially the gardeners are often overlooked.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple