“Secrets is Excellent for a Relaxing Vacation”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #13 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
A TripAdvisor Member
“Secrets is Excellent for a Relaxing Vacation”
Reviewed May 9, 2006

My hubby and I stayed at Secrets Excellance from April 30-May 7. I must disgree with some of the reviews that have been posted.

Our Room - We stayed in a Junior Suite Garden view in bldg 7. We were very pleasently surprised that our room was always clean, we had fresh towels and our mini bar was always stocked. The Mini Bar was fully stocked with Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, 7up, Orange Juice, Beer and Water bottles. The bed however was very hard but you can call the front desk for a cushion to put on top of the the bed for more comfort. We had no problems with ants or bugs. I only got bit by a mosquito once but I think that was when we went to the bonfire party.

The Beach - Was a dissapointement as the water was very rough and you did not see that many people swimming or laying in the beach. Overall I will say it was somewhat clean with the exception of the side of the beach that had some twigs from the palm trees.

The Pool - Was by far very good. My hubby was bumbed that it was not a lap pool so he could do laps. It got cold when the sun would go down so be prepared. We alway ended going to the pool at around 11am and we always found a place to sit at by the shade. We also found the blue floaty things to float in the pool.

Service - My hubby and I spoke spanish so the staff was very attentive and friendly. Some of the restaurant service is a bit slow but your on vacation where are you going? The Conceirge and front desk was always attentive to our needs. We had no complaints.

Activities - This was our biggest dissapointment. We went to Couples Swept Away last year and all the activities (tennis lessons, catamarans, snorkerling, step aerobics etc) were included and we felt that at Couples we had something to do each day. At Secrets this is not the case. They tennis lessons is tought by a local (at Couples they had a trained proffesional from Germany) who charged my hubby $10 per day. The bikes for the bike tour were very old so be preparared to pull something. The Yoga clases were tought by one of the entertainment staff who spoke very little english (at Couples they flew in a trainer from NY Sports Club) and said do this and this instead of saying now we are going to do a downward dog. If you want to go snorkerling and do a catamaran be prepared to pay $80+ per person and take a two hour bus ride to the other side of the island. (again at Couples this was included and the boat was docked at the beach). We did not do horseback riding but I heard by many that it was fun.

Food and Drinks - If you want 5 star quality food then go to the Ritz. The food and drinks was good and you cant go hungry there.

Vendors on the Property - The resort allowed vendors to come to the resort at least three times during our stay. I found them very annoying and pusshy. They come up to you and harrass you if you dont buy anythng. I wish the resort would police them better but I guess they are getting a piece of each sale.

Overall - if you want a quiet low key vacation then this resort is for you. We are New Yorkers so on our next vacation we need to have more activities so we dont get bored.

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,601)
  • Korean first
Orlando, Fl
Reviewed May 9, 2006

We have stayed at about 10 all inclusive resorts and I am stating my review based on our stay at other all inclusive resorts.

SERVICE/STAFF- The staff was friendly with key people speaking english. However I did miss the challange of learning a few new spanish phrases as we had on previous Dominican trips. There was a un-spoken we want tips atmosphere which I was not very thrilled with. Room service was nice and we usally got our food promptly.

VALUE/PRICE- This is what we felt was the stongest downside of this resort. It is not worth the price you pay. We have paid $1000 less at other Dominican resorts and had just as good of time. Below is just a few reasons why we felt this way.

1. The beach was dangerous. It had a very dangerous rip tide. We witnessed a couple that almost drowned and was very exhausted after a staff member helped rescue them. So the only thing the beach was good for was looking at.

2. The food was average at best. The meat at the steak place was tough. the food at the buffet was average at best and for the most part repetitive.

3. The mixed drinks were mostly mix and it was difficult to discern if there was any liquer in them at all.

4. Although it is my preference maid service was late in the afternoon a prime time for a quick nap between am and pm activities so it was difficult to take a break.

5. The free horseback riding was nothing more than a pitch to buy photos and longer trips.

ROOM- We got a master suite which was very nice. It was nice to have 2 rooms and we were on the bottom floor which had a nice little porch area. It was stange that they had a hammock that was un-usable as it crossed over a wall that seperated the units.

ENTERTAINMENT- We watched jazz artist Chris blizzard wich was an excellant show. The magic show was ok. Other nights we were too tierd to stay up.

While above mentioned may appear minor to some, it adds up to one feeling like they were shortchanged. So if you do not mind average food, un-swimable beach and you don't like drinks with liquer in them thenthis place is perfect.

Bring bug spray. You'll need it

19 Thank atraumanurse
Reviewed May 8, 2006

Ahhh...such funny reviews! This was our second year in a row as returning guests to Secrets Excellence, Punta Cana! We were there from 4/22 - 4/29! I read some of the reviews about what other travelers experienced and I wonder if we were at the same resort.

To be honest, we returned this year because we became great friends with the entertainers last year. The minute they saw us this year, they knew who we were and what our names were! This all not having had contact with them over the past year. We too were the "guests" that were seen with the entertainers during their break times and at dinner...not at all inappropriate...just friendly is all! Julio, Luciano, Kioman, Ines, Wendy, Doris, Wilkins, Gerardo, Rigo and Maria...thanks for another great trip!

If you are not a person that doesn't like to get involved with the shows or you don't have a sense of humor, please don't complain about the entertainment. Our group was involved in many of the contests and there were so many people that wouldn't even try to participate in any of it!

The food is average, but we did find several great meals! The French Restaurant is hard to get into, but if you are there at 6pm when it opens you will not have any problems. Our favorite place to eat was Oceana. Surf and Turf...highly recommended! If you feel that your drinks aren’t strong enough, just visit Jose in the Santo Domingo Plaza Bar, he will fix you right up with a mama-wanna!

We brought $100 worth of $1 bills for tip money! A dollar goes a long way! If you can afford to make the trip there, please be courteous and give a buck to those that are waiting on you hand and foot!

The beach is wonderful! Keep the blue pool floats in the pool! Don't hoard them, especially if you don't plan on returning to the pool at any time...if you try to hoard them, the staff WILL come around and shove them back in the water. Apply bug spray when eating at the outdoor restaurants. If you have a fair complexion, apply 45spf frequently! The sunset horseback ride is well worth the $60/couple. Do the helicopter if you don't like the bus ride to and from the airport! Also, we had photo souvenirs taken last year! They are a great memento to have!

This is a great resort and we WILL be back next April!

Email me if you have ANY questions!

20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 8, 2006

Just got back for our honeymoon at secrets. I thought the Hotel was nice the Pool was great, the beach was nice the water was a little bit rough but we felt safe as long as we did not go out to far. The staff was very attentive to us and for the most part very friendly, my wife speaks fluent Spanish which helped alot. The one thing I was dissapointed in was the food. My expectations were not too high since it is an all inclusive. We ate 2 nights at the seafood restaraunt and both times the soup was cold and the food was not hot, like it had been sitting out for a long time. The selection of seafood was very minimal for an Island resort and seemed to be the kind you would get at a local grocery store in a giant frozen bag. We tried the Steak house one night and had the same problem with the food being cold and tasting like it had been sitting out all day. We liked the Pizza's alot and thought it was great that we could order them at anytime to our room. The Italian food was pretty good. We tried the Mexican restaraunt and that was pretty hit or miss. Towards the end of the trip we went to the French one and that was very good and definatly stood out to us above the others. We ended up eating there everynight for the rest of the trip. We had signed up for the free HoneyMoon Package and only received half of what was on it, but I think If we would have asked for everything we would have got it. We did the Dune Buggy trip that was great. We did the Saona Island tip which was an amazing time, and well worth it. I hope this helped!!!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Maryland
Reviewed May 8, 2006

First the basics: My wife and I (mid-20's), stayed at SEPC from April 24-May 1, 2006 for our honeymoon. Our travel arrangements were through Apple Vacations and we had a direct flight from BWI on USA 3000. We stayed in 3207 (building 3, 3rd floor, oceanview).

Maybe we were on an emotional high from our wedding; maybe we're not too hard to please; or maybe this place is just that good. Whatever the reason, we had a great time on our honeymoon. Although we experienced above average service almost the entire week, I did hear other people complaining - some valid, some ridiculous. After reading a few reviews from people who were there the same time we were, I've come to the conclusion that Secrets as a whole offers excellent customer service but there may be a small handful of employees that drop the ball and cause it to be inconsistent. Regardless, some people are just impossible to please. If a review on here seems over the top and hard to believe, it probably is. Some people let one bad experience or day ruin their whole week. Don't take any of the reviews on here as 100% gospel, including mine; separate the facts from opinions and make your own decisions.

TRAVEL: As I said before, we flew USA 3000 direct from Baltimore. A quick 3 hour flight with a movie, some sort of "meal" and entertaining flight attendants. In addition to your $10 for the tourist card, take a few $1 bills. We had a drawing where everyone wrote their seat number on a $1 bill and they drew one out of a bag. Someone won $147 spending money. After landing, we paid our $10 fee and found our luggage quickly. If you don't need help carrying your luggage, walk right past the porters yelling "APPLE, APPLE" and find the guys in the colorful flowered shirts (Apple Reps). They'll tell you what bus to go to. The bus ride wasn't as bad as I expected. Sit back and enjoy the scenery.

CHECK IN: Cold towels and drinks (Fuzzy Navels? not Mimosas) were waiting upon arrival. Very refreshing! Lobby was impressive, very nice and clean! I sent an email two weeks prior and requested an oceanview room in Building 3, 3rd floor. Oscar and Annemarie checked us in and told us the room was ready.

ROOM: We picked this side of the resort because there's less foot traffic; 3rd floor rooms have vaulted ceilings and you can see the beach over the trees. This was our first time staying somewhere that had the energy saver devices in the room so it took us a few minutes to figure out why the lights wouldn't turn on (put card in the slot just inside the door). We went to get a bite to eat and our bags in the room when we got back. You may want to pack your swimsuit in your carry-on just in case your bags don't come right away. Don't leave food in your room when you're done or it WILL attract ants. We found this out when the new Mrs. left a Cocoloco on the bathroom counter. Mini-fridge was stocked fairly well. I left a $5 bill and asked for more Presidente, Coke and a bottle of Rum (por favor) and it was there the next day. The room was cleaned daily but if they come to do something and you're there, we noticed they usually don't come back that day. I left $2-3 every other day for the maid(s). We got towel animals about 4 out of 7 nights and the jacuzzi was filled and topped with rose petals the night of our romantic dinner. Leave a note requesting more washcloths if you want them. If you're interested in learning Spanish, channel 21 has subtitles!! Bed was harder than I'm used to but not rock hard. We met a few people who changed rooms to our building because of construction in one of the buildings on the other end of the resort.

POOLS: We spent most of our time at the Cascade pool since it was closest to our building. Some have referred to this as the "topless" pool. I would call it the "quiet" pool. If you're looking for the Playboy Mansion or Girls Gone Wild, go somewhere else. There were a few older European women who were topless and a few forty-something’s who I think dared each other to take off their tops and they stayed under the water. We did go to the large pool a few days to try out the swim-up bar. They had pool volleyball and water polo games here. It took a few minutes but we were always able to find two floats and two chairs somewhere. About mid-week they started using towel cards. Not sure if this was to discourage people from reserving chairs or taking towels home but it didn't really work. The people at the towel huts didn't really enforce using cards for the most part.

BEACH/OCEAN: Clean beach, plenty of chairs. If you're used to the waves on the Atlantic coast, it's about the same but with a stronger undertow. Keep your feet on the bottom so you don't drift too far. Red flags were flying the whole week except the furthest flag to the right, which was yellow the whole week. We forgot to pack Deet and didn't take Vitamin B (they have it at the front desk) but only got a few bug bites. However, I did see a few people with tons of bites on their legs. Take Deet and Vitamin B just in case.

BARS: Kafe Cafe bar was usually crowded but Benjamin is awesome! By midweek he would see me coming and be making a "Cuba Libra mucho Brugal" before I even sat down. Moya is the man at the Showtime Bar. You may get drinks varying in strength and taste at each bar depending on who makes it and exactly HOW you ordered it. Did you remember to say no lime? extra ice? mucho rum? and Por Favor never hurts. The same thing happens at bars everywhere in the States. Never did I feel like the bartenders were expecting tips but they were always very much appreciated. I saw a variety of top shelf liquors at almost all of the bars and only once or twice were they out of something I asked for....so I ordered something else. No big deal. If you don't guzzle your drink or you like your Presidente to stay cold, bring an insulated cup with a lid, 16-20 oz. is perfect. After reading all about this I was a bonehead and forgot so I now have an insulated Secrets Excellence mug purchased in one of the shops for $10.

FOOD: We didn't eat at the Dominican, Japanese or French restaurants. The new Mrs. is somewhat of a picky eater and we found some good things at other restaurants we wanted to try more than once. Pretty much the same thing you've already heard. Small portion sizes (order two - all inclusive, remember?), good food. Great steak. lobster, desserts, pizza, fajitas, omelets. The homemade ice cream was good too. We heard plenty of stories about long waits but did not experience this ourselves. I would suggest meeting other couples and going to dinner some nights with them so you have someone to talk to in order to pass the time instead of staring at your significant other and complaining. We did wait about 30-45 minutes at the Mexican restaurant between appetizers and the main course but were eating with a couple we'd met from Georgia (hi Adam and Jennifer) and conversation made the time fly by. We didn't have any stomach problems from the food but if you have a weak stomach, start each day off with a shot of Pepto or Immodium and you should be good to go.

EXTRAS/EXCURSIONS: We got the romantic dinner on the beach as a wedding gift. Really romantic and nice but I'm not sure we would have bought it ourselves. $160 for two. Put Deet on your legs and feet if you do this. We also got a speed boat/snorkeling excursion as a wedding gift which was purchased through a group other than Apple. The actual speed boating and snorkeling was awesome but it took most of the day and we had to stop at about 6-8 resorts picking up 2-3 people at each one. It took forever to get there. We were glad to get back to the resort. We did the Outback Safari through Apple. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED if you don't mind the bumpy roads and want to learn about the island culture and the people. It lasts from about 9am to 4pm so plan on being gone most of the day. Take a camera and a beach bag with towels for boogie boarding and save room for anything you might buy (rum, coffee, cigars, cocoa, mamajuana). Cheapest prices on these items are on this trip. Also, take some pens/pencils and any old baseball gear you don't want. The Outback Safari group will make sure it gets donated to the schools and kids. Last, we bought the helicopter transfer from the resort back to the airport. Pricey but worth it. It was the perfect end to our honeymoon. The pilot gives you an aerial tour of Secrets and the resorts along the way and answers any questions. Takes about 20-25 minutes to get to the airport.

VENDORS: Annoying but fun. They are pushy but contrary to what others have said, they don't corner you and there are ways to walk around them. If you insist that there is nothing on their table you want, say thank you and walk away and they'll leave you alone. Of course they start off asking a ridiculously high price but it's your job to offer a ridiculously low price and go up slowly until they either accept your offer or you reach your max price and they won't accept. This is where they start getting pushy but be firm. It's also a good idea to keep about $5-$10 in one pocket separate from the rest of your money. Tell them it's all you have when they want $18 and show them by turning the pocket inside out. Sometimes they'll take it, sometimes they won't. Have fun with it. We got a "$125" painting down to $35 and a "$25" anklet down to $5. They'll all tell you it's an original one of a kind and that they're giving you their best price since you're their long lost brother from Baltimore.

Pack more than one bathing suit, men - pants for dinner, extra undershirts (it gets really humid at night), a hat (both of our scalps are sunburnt), any and all medicine, toiletries you think you might need. They're VERY expensive in the pharmacy. I packed 5-6 pair of socks and didn't wear any; sandals the whole time.

Overall we had a blast. Are there areas that could be improved? Of course. Did we let them overshadow all of the good things and ruin our honeymoon? No way. I would definitely recommend this resort if you aren't expecting 100% perfection, which doesn't exist. Email with questions or comments. I can also send the link to my online photo album with all of the pictures.

-Ben

39 Thank brees6221
Reviewed May 8, 2006

My fiance and I stayed at Secrets 4/26-5/3 and felt that this resort was not a 6 golden apple like we were told or even a 5 star.

We felt this hotel was well maintained and it's pools were one of it's better features. There are 2 pools, one very large pool that winded through the resort, and a second pool - a cascade pool which in my view was a hidden gem. We never had a problem finding a bed, chair or floating raft.

Our room was one of the swim up rooms along the cascade pool, which we were lucky to get as that was not something we paid for, but were upgraded to as the room we paid for was overbooked. Our room was clean and we didn't have any problems. Another surprising feature to me-The hotel provides free porn 24 hrs a day 7 days a week on one of their T.V channels.

A few things to be aware of:

Food: We have been to numerous all inclusive resorts and felt that the food at this resort was not 5 star quality.
- We ate at almost every restaurant and found that every time we ordered, there was always something on the menu that they did not have.
- They did not understand what medium was, only well done.
- The servers spoke very little English, which made ordering certain items difficult and when they couldn't understand you, some of them would get frustrated.
- The breakfast buffet was large, however it was the same food (no variety) during all 7 days of our stay.
All in all, my fiance stated it well "at Secrets you don't live to eat, you eat to live." We did not enjoy the food, but rather only ate enough to keep us full. Very disappointed.

We did get a nice room (can't complain there), however some of the couples that we knew, were shipped to another resort as they were overbooked (I guess it is a common practice), others were upset because they received a room next to the construction that is taking place and would have their power shut off during parts of the day or hear pounding at 8am.

The entertainment staff was very friendly but their acts every night were not very original, we found ourselves leaving early each night.

The beach was very clean and well maintained, however the ocean is very rough. Good for those of you that like to boogie board.

My fiance and I love to play board games (which they have an awesome sports area), however the hours posted are until 12:00pm and every night they would close at around 9:00pm - also very disappointing.

Overall, we had a good time, very disappointed with the weather (not that anyone could control that), the food and the fact that there were nice features such as the sports area, but were not well managed or used to their full potential.

Unfortunatly, I can't say that we will ever come back nor recommend this resort to our friends and family.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
phl
Reviewed May 5, 2006

Just returned May, 5th, 2006 from a 7 day stay, I have never been compelled to write a review before but given the debate about the quality of Secrets I felt I had to provide my opinion. We chose this place because it was all-inclusive, adults only and also based on the reviews from this website. This is my third all inclusive resort, and would not rate Secrets as the best resort I have stayed at.

-Transportation: In my opinion, the famous hour long bus ride to the resort was not as rough as reported by others. The hotel is very far from the airport and other resorts in Punta Cana.

-Hotel: Well maintained

-Room: We had a Junior Suite Garden View, our room did received great service from our maid. Also our mini-fridge was restocked every day

-Food: The reason we chose Secrets is based on its reputation for good food. When you consider the money you spend to stay there I was extremely disappointed with the food that was served. I found that most of the restaurants at secrets offered badly prepared food (with the exception of the sea side grill and the breakfast). Having stayed at other all inclusive hotels with a 5 star rating before, I know not to expect the quality of food that I am used to. However, I do feel that the Secrets menu and the quality of the product they provided was certainly not up to the standards of other 5 star all inclusives.

-Service: Over all service was good. At times the service was very slow; this was mostly due to the fact that they are understaffed.

-Pools: We lounged at the cascade pool, and did not have any problems finding a good spot in the sun or a float.

-Beach: Beautiful, other reviewers stated that it’s similar to the Jersey shore that is not true. The waves are rough, but the water is clear shade of green.

-Entertainment/activities: The entertainment staff is very energetic and friendly. The horseback riding which is included in the price of the hotel was a lot of fun.

Over all, I had a great time it was relaxing and had the opportunity to meet a lot of great people. The only reason I would not stay at Secrets again is due to the food/service offered at this resort.

It is my understanding that this resort will no longer be under the “Secrets” hotel chain after this year. Perhaps the laps in food offering and service could be a result of this change over. It is surprising that the “Secrets” chain would allow this change over to tarnish their reputation.

26 Thank beachbum222