My boyfriend and I spent 3 glorious weeks at Secrets in June, here is our review – I will be as honest as possible!!
After reading all the awful reports in the weeks leading up to our holiday we went with the attitude that if it rains it rains and we weren’t going to let it ruin our holiday! Luckily out of the 21 days we were there, there was only 2 days where it rained, yes there were some overcast days but it still didn’t stop us sunbathing or swimming and you can still get a wonderful tan through the clouds. We also had a couple of nights of spectacular thunderstorms – I have never seen rain like it! Overall the weather was fine.
Trip from/to the Airport
Luckily travelling with Thomson from the UK we had a private taxi transfer with wonderful air conditioning from the airport. The roads were really bad on our journey to secrets. The potholes were huge and the journey took just over an hour. I wouldn’t have like to be on one of the huge buses and there is no way the driver would have been able to avoid the potholes like the taxi could.
We did notice through on the way back though that some of the road had been resurfaced in the time we were away so I would say another few weeks and the road would be much better. No need to get stressed though just sit back and relax and watch the world go by.
There is the option of having a helicopter transfer which is around $135 but we couldn’t justify that amount of money!
On arrival at the hotel our bags were taken off us and bought up to the room about 5 minutes after we got in. Our room was 6209. We liked the location of building 6 in that it was close to the bars, restaurants etc. We had a corner room with the cathedral ceiling and yes the room is probably a little warmer than the lower floors, but for the ceiling and the view we had we wouldn’t have changed the room. We looked over the main gardens in front of the reception with the mountains in the background. We also looked over the drive where the workers walked up every morning so it was nice to just sit and watch the world go by.
We tipped the maid a couple of dollars each day and left a note with a couple of dollars for the mini bar man and we always got exactly what we asked for.
Thjs was one thing that really worried us with being away from 3 weeks – would we get bored of the food. A short answer no! I suppose if we did have to pick a bad meal it would be the lunchtime buffet. The menu was changed everyday, but as it was a buffet it wasn’t as piping hot but that is buffet food for you.
We ate in all the restaurants in the evening (except seafood) and had lovely food. My boyfriend had a couple of steaks in the steak house which were a bit fatty, but I am sure if we had sent them back we would have had new ones. Mine were all fabulous.
We read a lot of complaints about room service on this site. We used it loads and every meal was piping hot and cames in approx 30 mins. The longest we did have to wait was for pizza about 45 mins but it was 2am. Maybe because building 6 is right next to the kitchens we didn’t have the same problems some people seemed to have with room service.
We never had any problems getting branded liquors at any of the bars even the pool one! If you specifically ask for branded you will get it if you don’t you will just have the local stuff!
Say hi to Franklin in the lobby bar when you go – he is the one employee that stuck in our mind and we tipped him $20 before we left as he looked after us so well.
Luckily the times we went for fresh beach towels we had no problems obtaining them but we did see many people ending up with none as the huts had run out.
Also remember the pace of life is totally different over there, if it takes 10 minutes to get a drink – so what, just sit back relax and chill out. We heard a lot of people moaning that the drink service was taking too long, the food was taking too long. You are on your holidays, we have enough stressing in our everyday lives without doing the same when on holiday!!
Being from the UK, I did feel very out numbered by the Americans and not tarring everyone with the same brush I did notice many being very rude to the local workers. Just because we have more money and a better quality of life doesn’t mean these people are any less than us. How much does a “please” and “thankyou” cost?
Overall we had a wonderful holiday and felt very relaxed and well looked after. These people value their jobs at the hotel and nothing is too much hassle for them to do for you. Everyone greets you with a “hola” and a “thankyou” is returned with “it’s a pleasure” and I do believe it was genuine.
We would definitely go back and if you would like any further information email@example.com
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This quaint, colonial-style resort is the ideal destination for couples seeking secluded romantic getaways. Nestled among palms on a perfect white-sand beach on a remote stretch of Punta Cana's Caribbean shoreline, Excellence Punta Cana provides the perfect All-Inclusive playground for adults only and is also home to a world-class spa, state-of-the-art fitness center and an exceptional range of activities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Savannahville Tours N.V., BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Excellence Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Excellence Punta Cana
- Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Resort
- Secrets Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Dominican Republic
- Excellence Dominican Republic
- Punta Cana Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Punta Cana Hotel
- Secret Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Secrets Excellence