“Perfect Honeymoon”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #14 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed May 29, 2005

Our start at this resort did not turn out as well as it had at Sunscape The Beach, however the end result was compariable. We waited for 3 hours for our room to be ready, however this was because we had to check out of Sunscape by noon and took a 10 minute cab ride to Secrets.

Basically we had a few drinks at the Lobby Bar, took a nap in the Lobby, then had lunch at a nearby restuarant.

We must say, however, the 3 hour wait was worth it. We were in room 14204 (Building 14), a honeymoon suite and was it beautiful. We had a view of the Ocean as well as the pool. Not only did we have the jacuzzi bath tub in the room, but we had a jacuzzi outside on an open porch. They also supplied us with two lounge chairs, two wooden chairs and a table for evening dinners on the deck to watch the sunset.

Once again we were greeted with beautiful towel art and tropical flowers. There was a yummy fruit basket as well.

We were so thrilled and had so much fun at this resort. They had activities going on all the time, we particularlly enjoyed the little contests by the pool. Wooden Horse Racing, throwing tennis balls through numbered holes, and frisbee bowling.

The beach at this resort was much nicer, it was raked daily and had little to no seaweed.

Carlos, the bartender at the deep end of the pool and Andrea one of the activities personnel were great. They made you feel welcome and liked to talk.

We met many people from our area, who would think you fly 3000 miles to meet people that live 2 hours from you.

All in all, it was a perfect honeymoon. Food was great, drinks were plentiful, staff was excellent.

31  Thank gettinhitched
There are newer reviews for Excellence Punta Cana

A TripAdvisor Member
Chester County, PA
Reviewed May 28, 2005

My husband and I recently celebrated our fifteenth wedding anniversary at Secrets in Punta Cana. I do not consider ourselves well traveled but we have been blessed to travel to Hawaii, St. John, & St. Thomas, and Florida. Secrets is a beautiful resort! We traveled thru Apple Vacations which went smoothly all around. As a resort, it visually was our favorite. Our only complaint is that the entire inside of the resort is done in slippery marble or tile. Needless to say it is often wet from swimmers or from rain. We even heard that someone fell and got injured in the casino during our stay. Be VERY careful! Personally I almost bought the floor turning the corner in the bathroom. Textured tiles should have been spec'd by the architect. Meals: Not the best food we have eaten but no worse than I expected from an all-inclusive resort. Bar service wasn't excellent at the walk up bar near our room but it was ok. They played the same song over and over again!!! The "minibar" was stocked once daily. If you are lucky to catch the men who do the deed, tip them and they will load you up with absolut or better beer. Our highlight was that we spent extra for the private dinner for two on the beach. It was awesome and Daniel did a great job serving!!! The club was a nice touch. Jennifer was great. Drinks were made quickly, food was good, DVD library was sufficient, and internet worked well when available. Jenn even let us keep our room on the last day until 3:30 for late showers. The pools were clean and beautiful. The towel situation is rough though. With the club upgrade you get two automatically but difficult to switch them out for dry ones due to lack of inventory. Housekeeping left a lot to be desired. I know they were short staffed. They never cleaned our room before 3:00pm so again if towels were used to dry the floor, there were no new ones for us to clean up with. The ladies were lovely and hardworkers but the skill level was iffy. I never got a wash cloth until the day before we left. So much of this sounds negative, but none of it is a serious offense in our books. If you want a romantic getaway, gorgeous beach, palm groves galore and are fine with o.k. cuisine (not horrible), a small wait for a drink. and are ok with the room being cleaned late, you will love Secrets. Oh and yes, room service...they ranged from 10 minutes to one hour and ten minutes. The casino is small. No Craps!!! We stuck to the blackjack tables. The slots were actually paying out. Hope this helps. On a scale of 1 - 10, we give them an 8 on looks, 6 on food, food service a 7, bar service a 6.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 28, 2005

We just got back from staying at Secrets 5/8-5/15. The hotel was exquisite! The staff was extremely friendly. When we arrived, we had to wait a few minutes for our room to be ready. They at first were going to give us a different room, but then they upgraded it. We got to our room and our luggage wasn't there. Went down to the lobby and realized that they put our luggage in the original room. The next day we came back to our room with another bottle of champagne and a free massage. They apoligized for the inconvenience.

The food was incredible! Couldn't have asked for better.

The only disappointing thing was the weather. It rained 4 of the 7 days we were there. Obviously not the fault of the resort. They put on shows on the stage area because of the weather. The did a good job trying to keep people entertained due to the weather.

If you plan a trip to this hotel, we were told the best time would be between Dec & Feb, less chance of rain. If I ever go back to Punta Cana, this is the only hotel I would stay at. Adults only!

The best thing: I got engaged!

25  Thank kv827
Reviewed May 27, 2005

I hate to start out with a negative, however I think that it deserves being mentioned. My husband and I originally
booked our wedding and honeymoon through Apple Vacation. Big mistake!!! We booked our trip the end of
September for our May 16th departure, at the time Apple said they did not have their flight schedule planned yet, that
it would be scheduled after the beginning of the year. We didn’t sweat it, because I had traveled with Apple
Vacation a couple of times in the past and found them to be very reliable. We booked our Wedding with Secrets and
got all our plans underway. January came and I called our local agent and still no schedule. Middle of January I get
an urgent call from my agent telling me there was a problem with my booking. Apple Vacation sent a fax that they
were no longer flying their charter from Atlanta to Punta Cana. The only options they gave us was to fly to Cancun
on May 15th (Hello!!, I’m getting married in Punta Cana.... not Cancun), secure our own flight at a higher rate or
cancel our trip. My local agent found an Apple Charter leaving Cincinnati, when asked if our flight could be
changed to this flight without a price penalty, we were denied. So much for customer service. We ended up having
to rebook our entire trip at a much higher rate, since Secrets had just had a price increase. I will never book another
trip through Apple Vacation.

Like many of you I spent months reading all the reviews and appreciate everyone’s tips and advise, especially from
those that had their wedding at Secrets. I hope my review will help those that plan on visiting Secrets Excellence for
their honeymoon or wedding. I will forewarn you though, this a very lengthy detailed review... I was a bit unsure
what to expect because the reviews were at such extremes. Some loved everything about the resort and others hated
everything. I hope that my review will be objective and give readers a realistic expectation. On a scale of 1 to 10, I
would have to give Secrets Excellence a strong 8. Although not perfect it had many more positives than negatives.

WEATHER:
May is not the ideal month to travel to Punta Cana. When we arrived on Monday it was raining and rained the
entire next day. Guests that were leaving said it had rained the past two weeks. I was really concerned since we
were there for our wedding. On Wed. it cleared most of the day, but was cloudy and rained a bit in the evenings.
The rest of the week it was mostly warm and sunny with rain in the late afternoon. Unfortunately, they only perform
weddings in the evenings. After getting my hair done at the spa, I walked out to the lobby to find out that it was
pouring down rain. I was a bit discouraged since it was time to take pictures. We were not able to get many outdoor
pictures done because everything was wet. However, the photographer was nice enough to offer to come back the
following day so we could get the outdoor and beach pictures taken. Also, the judge was late arriving because of the
roads being washed out so it was dark before we could start the ceremony, not making for very good wedding
pictures. Another negative due to the weather was that we were not able to take advantage of the horse and carriage
ride. This was a big disappointment since it was one of the major factors in me choosing Secrets for my wedding.
However, I have to admit I am still glad that I got married there.

AIRPORT:
The airport was very cute with it’s thatch roofs. Getting around was not difficult at all. As soon as we arrived we
bought our tourist card for $10 each and went straight through customs. Not a problem at all. We were met by our
VIP representative for transportation to our resort. Coming back into the states was a more difficult though. Much
longer lines and even more difficult after arriving back in the states. Seems like we went through check points at
least 4 times before catching our connecting flight. On the way back, don’t forget to stop by the duty free shops.
Great price on alcohol!

RIDE TO RESORT
Ride from the airport is about 1 hour 15 minutes and very bumpy. However, we expected it from reading other
reviews. The bus was comfortable and it’s not really that bad of a ride. On the way to the resort they stop at a
market to buy snacks & beer. Going to the resort we did not stop at any other resorts, but on the return trip we
stopped at Sunscape Beach to pick up guests from there.

CHECK IN
Check in was fairly simple. The bellmen took our luggage as soon as we arrived and tagged everything. We were
given wet face cloths, but did not get our mimosa. Not really a big deal though. Our room was ready when we
checked in. Right after check in, we contacted our wedding coordinator and set up an appointment to go over final
wedding details then made reservations for horseback riding, honeymoon pictures, romantic dinner, etc. We went to
our room and moments later our luggage arrived.

RESORT
Resort was absolutely beautiful; marble floors, lush landscaping, wildlife, and spacious rooms. The pools and beach
were very clean and beautiful. Everything about the surroundings was gorgeous. The beach sand was soft and pink.
The waters in front of the resort was wavy being on the Atlantic side, but it was fun for boogie boarding and playing
in the waves. We went paddleboating one day with absolutely no trouble and I saw catamarans and other water
sports while there. A ten minute walk to the right of the beach and the waters are calmer, nice for snorkeling. We
took our own mask and snorkel, lots of fun. There are two pools, one is the cascading pool, more secluded and
private and a long winding main pool with a swim up bar; a lot more activity there. Both were very clean. Did not
find getting a float a problem even though there were those that hoarded them under their lounges. There are hottubs
near the main pool or you can go to a huge hottub in the spa, which we did on Tuesday when it rained all day. They
also have steam cabinets, cold pools and sauna free of charge. I did not get any spa services while there, but I did
get my hair done twice for wedding pictures. Very nice staff. The hairdressers did not speak English but they tried
very hard to understand what you wanted. A few Spanish phases helps out a lot. If there is a problem they will get
someone from the front desk to translate. My advise about massage, instead of paying $70 for a 50 min. massage,
walk about 15 minutes to the right of the beach to the next resort. There is a lady that gives a very good hour
massage (I am a massage therapist and I know a good massage) for $25 in a thatch hut. However, it’s not for the
modest.

ROOM
Beautiful rooms. We had a 3rd floor room with a king size canopy bed in building 3. It overlooked the wedding
gazebo and was in a very quiet area of the resort. Highly recommend this building. We got to watch several
weddings while there. Beds were firm, but comfortable. The pillows were a little too soft for my liking though.
Nice roomy shower with plenty of hot water. I really appreciated it, because when I was in Cancun if I didn’t shower
at 6 am I had to take a cold shower. Must remember to keep sliding door closed for a/c to work and a card must be
in slot beside the door for electricity to work. Frig. for minibar is never really cold, but wasn’t a big deal. Ice
makers in each building. The minibar was well stocked with juice, Presidente beer, Absolute Citron, Johnny Walker
Red Label, sodas, water, and a local rum. Left a tip everyday for minibar guy. Could not find iron and ironing
board first day; located behind curtain. Plenty of English channels on the television to watch, plus a very interesting
channel 16. Free safe in room with programmable password. Plenty of storage for belongings and lots of sitting
area. When we arrived there was a “Honeymooners” sash across the door and a basket of fruit, bottle of champagne
and towel sculptures with rose petals. Very romantic! A very nice jetted tub for two and plenty of nice sizes
toiletries. We left gift bags for our maid everyday with cosmetics, chocolates, school supplies, small toys and 2
dollars each day. She seemed to really appreciate it. Told us she had 2 small children. No problem with bugs in
room. Only problems was an occasional electricity outage and the elevator rarely worked. Again, not a big deal,
outage never lasted for very long and I needed the exercise to burn some of the extra calories from the great food.

FOOD
Food for the most part was excellent. First evening we ate at Quisqueya international rest. We both had the
Chateubriand and lobster bisque soup. Highly recommend. We ate there twice and both times excellent. This was
my personal favorite restaurant. Breakfast is only served at Higuey’s. Lot’s of choices on buffet and great omelets.
You will absolutely love Felix. Tried Mediterranean Seafood 3 times, twice for dinner and once for lunch. Had
Grouper, Stuffed Chicken for lunch and dinner surf and turf. All very good. Ate at Texas Steakhouse twice, once
for lunch and once for dinner. Steak was very good, prepared just as requested. However, for dinner I ordered Veal
Chops and sorry to say, it was not Veal, it was steak. Only disappointing meal while there. Had dinner twice at
Bella Italia. Great experience both times. Had lasagna both times. Excellent! Only my mother’s is better. Must
ask for Nelson. He was my favorite server there. Ate at Maria Bonita twice, once for my romantic dinner. It is in a
open air courtyard. The food there was just above average (surf and turf) but the ambiance was very romantic,
candles, rose petals on table, champagne and a mariachi trio going from table to table. The second time we ate there
was better, I ordered from the Dominican menu and the Mexican Menu. The Dominican Stew was tasty and from
the Mexican menu I had shrimp, also tasty. We did not eat at Madam Butterfly, so I’m not sure about the food there.
We did not order room service or eat at any of the snack bars while there, so not comments on either of those. I
have to say for an all inclusive resort you will not find better food anywhere.

DRINKS
If any area really needs to be worked on I would say it would be to give bartending lessons. Yes, they have plenty of
top shelf liquor and the drinks are not at all watered down. If anything they are very strong. Unfortunately, except
for their resort specialty drinks, they are not very tasty. I love margaritas and was not able to get a good tasting one
the whole time I was there.

EXCURSIONS
Because of the weather we chose not to do any excursion and just enjoy the sun and surf while we had it at the
resort. We did the horse back riding, Boogie boarding, pedal boating and snorkeled on the beach.

ENTERTAINMENT
During the day they have several activities planned. The staff try to get you involved but they are not a bit too
pushy. We did the Dominican Fair where you played games and they gave out play money. Afterward there are
prizes you can bid on with your play money. We also did dance lessons, Spanish lessons, and Cocktail class. Was a
little disappointed in these. I hope for something more instructional, but it was mostly goofing off. Evening
entertainment was a bit cheesy but entertaining. Ideal Couple Show very funny. They had a jazz singer (last name
Blizzard) which I enjoyed a great deal. The week I was there the “Beach Party” was canceled because of the
weather.

SERVICE
I had read that the service was slow at Secrets. To be honest I did not find this to be a problem. I really enjoyed the
pace. I hate it when you go out to eat and they bring your entree before you have a chance to eat your salad. It was
very relaxing and unrushed feeling. All the staff was very friendly, responding to each request with “It’s a Pleasure”.

WEDDING
My wedding coordinator, Yuliana Sanchez, was a very sweet lady. I got the feeling that she was fairly new at being
a wedding coordinator and unsure about a few things. However, she was very helpful and understanding. I emailed
the wedding department before I left to put in my room request and photographer request. I requested a 3rd floor
room with a King-size bed in either building 11 or 3 and I requested Renauld (owner of the photography company)
to do my wedding and honeymoon pictures. I was pleased that I received the building and room type requested
when we checked in. Yuliana scheduled an appointment Tuesday morning to go over the final details. At this time
we gave her my wedding dress, my husband’s suit, cake topper, toasting goblets and cake knife & server. We then
picked our flowers. I had planned on having some fresh flower arranged, but was told that all of the bouquets were
an extra $80. This confused me because I had read some other review where the bride stated they paid $30 for a
bunch of lilies with ribbon. At this time I also gave her our music CD with our song selection, picked out our cake (I
ordered round Almond, received heartshape Almond, not a big deal), reserved our breakfast in bed and after
wedding dinner. Asked about my photographer request and told that Renauld would not be able to do our pictures
and Arturo or Pancho would be our photographer. Needless to say I was disappointed but understanding. Later that
afternoon, I stopped by the photography desk to look through the photobook. While there I met Renauld’s girlfriend
and told her how disappointed I was that he would not be able to do my pictures. She said she would see what she
could do.

The day of the wedding was beautiful and sunny day, I was so thankful since the weather had not been so good since
we arrived. I had an appointment at 2:30 to do my hair and makeup. The hairdresser working on my hair was
Metilda and she was very sweet and tried very hard to understand my request. With my broken Spanish and her
broken English and a few sign language we were able to communicate. She did a lovely job on my hair and makeup.
Unfortunately, we I walked out of the salon to wait for the photographer and my fiancé I looked out to find that it
was pouring the rain. I could have almost cried. Yuliana came in to tell me that we would not be able to use the
horse and carriage and would have to get married in the lobby because everything was wet in the Gazebo. I told her
that I refused to get married in the lobby and that I would prefer to cancel if that was the case. She said that she
would see what she could do. She later came in and said that they would be able to do the wedding at the Gazebo
and surprise .... Renauld was there to do my wedding pictures. I went in the dressing room to get dressed and when I
came out the rain had began to stop. Renauld took several pictures in the spa, and in the dry areas of the resort. He
agreed to come back the next day to take more pictures outside and on the beach if I wanted to get ready again in my
wedding dress. Of course I did! Because of the rain, the roads were washed out and the judge was late getting to the
resort. When she arrived and went over our documents it was finally time for the ceremony. Luckily by this time the
rain had stopped. The ceremony began with me walking to my groom to the wedding march. The judge only spoke
Spanish, the ceremony was translated by Yuliana. After the vows and rings were exchanged we were asked if we
had anything special we would like to say to each other, this is when we were able to recite our personalized vows.
Following the ceremony we had wedding cake and champagne while one of our chosen songs was played. The cake
was delicious! Renauld continued to take pictures while Francios videoed. We then had our first dance as husband
and wife. From the Gazebo we went to have dinner at Quisqueya. When we walked in everyone began clapping and
we were escorted to a table covered with rose petals and a bottle of champagne. After dinner the brought out our
wedding cake for dessert. Yum! I requested the server to offer cake to the other guest dining there.

After dinner we went back to our room to find a trail of rose petals on the floor with towel & sheet sculptures,
champagne and flowers and rose petal everywhere. They had ran a bubblebath with rose petals. Everything was so
romantic. The next morning we were served breakfast in bed. Not anything exciting, fruit & yogurt, but it was still
very nice.

There were a couple of things that was supposed to be included in our wedding package that we did not receive;
groom’s boutonniere, horse & carriage, and I never did see a Venetian Gondola, but overall I could not ask for a
more lovely wedding setting.

PHOTO SESSION
The next morning I was off to the spa again to get my hair done. I asked Yuliana if I would have to pay to get it
done again and she said “yes”. I asked if there would be any discount since we had to do it again because of the rain
and she asked the spa manager, who agreed to give me a 20% discount. Always ask, the worst they can do is say
“no”. After I got my hair done I went to my room to finish getting ready, (did my own makeup this time). At 12:00
we met with Renauld to begin our photos. After we had gone over the entire resort taking pictures and was about to
go on the beach for more pictures and lady that I had talked with the evening before asked “where is that beautiful
necklace you had on last night?” Oh my Gosh! I had forgotten to put on my wedding jewelry. I looked at my
husband with my jaw to the ground. He saw my devastation and ran back to the room to get it. I was so upset.
Renauld, was cool as a cucumber and said “Don’t worry, I can fix it”. I couldn’t believe it. When we got our
pictures back, all the pictures had my jewelry in it and you could not tell in which photos he added it and in which
ones I was actually wearing it. I was amazed to say the least.

Since we had originally arranged to have our honeymoon pictures done on that day, I asked if we could take a small
break after the wedding pictures to shower and change then take the honeymoon pictures that day and Renauld said
“sure, no problem”. We went and changed while Renauld had lunch. We had pictures taken in two different outfits
around the resort. One outfit was dressy casual and the other very casual. All the pictures were beautiful.
Something I will treasure a lifetime.

SHOPPING
Vendors came to the resort about every other evening selling jewelry, artwork, T-shirts, cigars, rum, mamajauna, ect.
They can be a bit overbearing. A bit of advise, do not tell them you are from the US. Their starting price will be
much higher. Better to tell them you are from Canada because of the exchange rate from Canadian money to USD
they will give you a better bargain. You must haggle and be willing to walk away if you don’t get the price you
want. Don’t pay more than 1/2 of first price asked.

WHAT TO BRING:
Remember items in the store at the resort is very expensive, bring items from home to avoid overpaying. Bug spray
with deet, Pepto, Immodium, Benedryl, Aloe, Dramamine, Advil, plenty of sunscreen, small umbrella, insulated
mugs or small cooler, waterproof cameras, plenty of singles for tips, chocolates for the maid, school supplies for the
kids if you go on excursions, bubble bath, camera, extra batteries, plenty of film.

CHECK OUT
You have to find your tour rep. to find out when your bus will arrive. We called for a bellman to get our luggage and
checkout was very simple. I just looked over hotel charges and paid.

MOSQUITOS
Because of all the rain, the mosquitoes were especially bad in the evening. I will admit that if there is a mosquito in
a 5 mile radius, it will find me. While I was there I felt like a mosquito buffet. Please bring plenty of bug repellent
with deet.

TIPS
Bring more money than you think you need. We spent about $150.00 in tips, but you will want extra for excursions,
pictures, gift, etc.. Bring mostly one’s and five’s.
Check board in lobby for day’s activities.
Long pants and shirts with sleeves required for all restaurants in the evenings.
Shoes and shirts, (no bathing suit tops) required for all restaurants any time of the day
Write notes to maids in Spanish and mini bar guy for special requests
Leave a note in Spanish and English with your room number if you leave gifts for maids, so they don’t have
problem.

Would I go back? Absolutely! If you

65  Thank Maybride2005
Reviewed May 26, 2005

May 6 - 14, 2005

Believe all the good things in the May reviews. We had a blast - but then we are an outgoing couple. Learn a few words in spainish, tip the maid , drink runners and you are set.
We did:
>The couple mid night massage - Pricey, but worth it - we still talk about it
>ATV tours - twice - this is the best rainy day activity - $80 per person for individual ATV's each. Plan on throwing away what ever you wear on the trip - that's a good thing!
>Enjoyed the meals - steaks in the Texas were perfect.
>For White Russian fans or Russio Blanco - you'll be pleased
>Enjoyed the shows
6- 7 nights is enough - longer and you'll dissapointed, shorter and well, I guess you did not save enough money huh?

Remember the names in the reviews you have read. They get a kick out of hearing that you have read about them.

Go there with the attitude your going to have fun and it works. Look for something to complain about and your not only better off staying at home, I don't have to get up and move away from you while you complain at the pool.

Oh yea - guys one word.......Topless!

War Eagle!

29  Thank loanarranger
A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 26, 2005

May 6-14th, He 48 me 28 - together 5 years - fun, active, outgoing, topless!

I'd read so much bad stuff that I tried to cancel our trip. I'm so glad we didnt.

Take:
I packed a foam bed pad at Target for $15, easily packed, helped with the hard bed. Was well worth it.
Two cheap rafts. That way you gont have to deal with stingy people and rafts.
Sexy clothes to wear to the night events, disco, dinner. No bra's needed. Panties optional! It was warm so take loose clothing. Guys: Please dont wear jeans. Dress up for your ladies on vacation. I couldnt believe all the guys in jeans.
Suncreen in 35 plus. We went through 2 bottles.
Koozies or insulted mugs is a must. Stuff melts fast.
At least $300 in cash. Between the tips and vendors you can use it but dont have to. Never felt pressured to tip.
Candles, oil, bubble bath, KY - all that fun couple stuff. Espically if it rains.

Do:
The disco is a blast. Limbo night, linegre party, toga night. Great time.
The night events maybe cheesy but are fun. They work hard to entertain. If your going to miss a night the magic and the guy after that you can miss. Dont miss Variety night. Oh my god!
Couples mid night massage. Pricy but worth it. Even the guys who are massage virgins will love it.
I wished we would have done the professional pictures. People raved about them.
Go on stage and have some fun. Your on vacation!
Channel 16 at 2 am then some pizza! Yummy!

Dont do/cautions:
Be careful if you plan a day trip i.e caterman's. A couple we met went, 2 hour bus ride, then they cancelled due to the rain. 4 hours of their day lost and they had to fight to get their money back.
The vendors off site we shady. Stick with the guys on the resort when they visit. They arent pushy, just say no thanks and they are cool.

Tips:
Reyna running drinks was great.
Fleix makes a killer omlet.
Julio - Nightly entertainment, great dancer and fun to look at :)
Wilson the bartender at Texas was a hoot. Sit at the bar with him even though it's for the resturant and isnt busy, he'll get you drunk - fast!

Tips:
Learn some spanish. I found this laminated survial spanish sheet at Barnes and Noble which refreshed my spanish and it was fun. They appreciate you at least trying.
Take some nice girly stuff to leave for your maid. I took bath and body works stuff and gave them to her. Never needed another thing!
You are who you are but if your picky, complain about everything, never happy and just no fun - dont go.
The food wasnt Ruths Chris, the drinks didnt get you drunk in a minute and the service and amtosphere was relaxed. If your a fun couple, enjoy being together and laid back and polite, you'll have a great time. I can see where if it rains for several days it could be an issue. They cant help that though.

So relax, go pack, have some fun and dance to Gasolina for me! Adios!

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 24, 2005

My wife and I, our two daughters and their husbands all went to Secrets Excellence Punta Cana May 14 – 21, 2005. All the couples were celebrating an anniversary and one son-in-law’s 30th birthday. I found these reviews to be extremely helpful in preparing us for the trip that I wanted to write a detailed review of our observations that I hope will be helpful for others who are booked at this resort or are contemplating it. I have traveled to many Caribbean destinations, both to hotel/resorts and cruises; this was my first experience with an all-inclusive property. Warning – this is a long review and goes into great detail, so if you get bored easily or want to keep some surprise to your trip, then you may want to skip this one.

Overall Summary

It was a wonderful experience, despite the weather (more on that later). If you are considering this resort, go for it, absolutely. If you’re already booked, get ready for a great time at a great adults-only, all-inclusive resort.

Airport/Ride to the Resort

The airport was charming in its own way with its thatched roofs. A bit of a shock with the heat and humidity (the arrival terminal is open-air), but baggage claim, immigration and customs was an absolute breeze. Each traveler must purchase a tourist card for $10/each, have their passports and tourist cards stamped, then go through customs (which amounted to walking past a couple of guys sitting there not stopping anyone). Check-in for the return flight is open-air, and then back through immigration to get your exit stamps and turn in your tourist card, then onto the usual security screening. The upper part of the departure terminal is open-air; the lower part containing the gates is A/C. Duty free available on both levels – some cash-only, some take credit cards. Please note there are no jetways at this airport – staircases to/from the plane to tarmac.

When you arrive, find your tour representative for transportation (ours was Apple since we booked directly with the hotel and Apple/Preferred Resorts owns Secrets). They’ll take you to the proper bus. I made sure not to let someone take my bags until the rep was walking us to the bus, and then I made sure all our bags made it onto the bus. The ride was 1 hour, 15 minutes, both to the resort and back to the airport. Expect a stop each way at Sunscape the Beach, a sister resort (not adults-only) owned by the same company. Buses are air-conditioned, but don’t expect it to be all that cool but good enough. The roads are not good, with many bumps and evasive maneuvering by the driver, but nothing I considered dangerous – just very bumpy. You’ll pass a lot of the Dominican landscape and some rather impoverished-looking areas. But please remember you are in a rather lightly-developed area of a developing country.

Arrival at the Resort/Check-in/Check-out

When you step off the bus, the bellmen are there to greet you and tag your luggage and they handle things from there – they give you the tag receipts to present at the check-in desk. You’re also given a moist towel to freshen-up with and a mimosa cocktail to help take the edge off the trip. Check in was fast and easy (be sure to have your reservation confirmation/receipt). Once your room is assigned the baggage receipts are taken so your room number can be put on them and porters will deliver your baggage directly to your room. We relaxed with our cocktails in the lobby after check-in, so by the time we went to the room our bags were already there.

Be sure to check back in with your tour rep at the hotel the night before you leave concerning the return bus ride. They’ll tell you when to be checked-out and in the lobby. Check out is simple as well, and you can either call a porter/bellman or take your bags to the front desk yourself (we did the latter since our room was on the first/ground floor).

The Room

The rooms are all suites, with several options on size & view. We opted for the base garden-view junior suite because we had heard that there really isn’t too much difference, and we got a great deal on it (under $1,600 per couple for 7 nights). We ended up in room 4011 – Building 4, first (ground) floor, room 11. This was a garden view suite with sliding glass door (including a sliding screen) to a private back patio and garden with a lounge chair, table and 2 chairs and hammock. There was a view of a fountain in a small pond with flowering bushes and hedges all over the place. The view beyond was of the coconut grove that’s on the right side of the resort property, and, on a good weather day (there were few), you could just make out the ocean beyond the trees. Overall, not bad at all, especially with it’s location: it was very near to all the main areas, with the exception of the far end of the resort where the main pool ends by the higher-number buildings.

We confirmed via email prior to arrival that we were celebrating our anniversary, and Secrets confirmed that we would be receiving their anniversary package. The room part of that included a “Honeymooners” sash on the door (the wife and I got a good chuckle out of that), a bottle of champagne, basket of fresh fruit and a towel sculpture on the bed sprinkled with rose petals. All nice touches. I believe that bathrobes and slippers are standard in all rooms, and these were in the closets waiting for us as well.

The junior suite was basically divided into two main interior components – the far area (from the entrance) was the bedroom/living room area containing a king-sized four-poster canopy bed with two nightstands (with lamps) and a very firm mattress. I liked it, my wife did not (mirroring our general preferences). A dressing bench sat at the foot of the bed. The living area contained a desk/TV table with chair (and what I estimated to be a 27” remote-control TV), a loveseat with cocktail table and second, higher table and chair. It was actually quite a bit of seating for a two-person room. The main floor is 100% tile, and is quite slippery when wet, so use caution. A two-person, six-jet Jacuzzi tub separated the bath area from the bedroom/living room and worked well. The bath area was the area closest to the entry way, and both had granite floors. The single-sink vanity was granite and of a good size. It contained a wall-mounted vanity mirror and wall-mounted hair dryer (with a handy built-in night light). Hand towels and washcloths were plentiful and never a problem. Also on the vanity was an amenities basket containing conditioning shampoo, shower gel, SPF 8 sunscreen, body lotion, sewing kit, shower cap, vanity kit (cotton balls & swabs) and a shoe shine towel in addition to hand and shower soaps. A separate toilet/shower room with lockable door completed the bath area, again all in granite. The shower stall was a bit on the small size, but with a great shower (hand held or static) that was height adjustable (much appreciated by someone 6’-1”). Water pressure was excellent, and there was never a problem with hot water quantity.

There was a mini-bar/coffee station just inside the main door in the entryway. A 10-cup coffee maker, 1-liter bottle of water, 2 coffee cups and the usual assortment of Coffee-mate and sugar along with an ice bucket (ice machines were plentiful, at least on the ground floor), ice tongs and 2 rocks glasses sat on top of the bar (note – only regular coffee was supplied, a very good Dominican coffee). A glass shelf was located above the bar containing a 375 ml bottle of amber rum and two champagne glasses. Inside the cabinet was the mini-fridge containing bottled water, Pepsi, Diet Coke, 6 small Presidente beers and two orange drink boxes. We also used it for our champagne (and created mimosas using the orange drinks). I left a note once (and tipped a buck each day) for the mini bar guy and we always had a fresh bottle of champagne and were fully stocked. I did also ask for some gin and Chardonnay, but this never happened (and didn’t really matter, as you will read).

They have full satellite TV service in the room with all the usual US channels, plus international ones from Britain, France, Italy and Germany. And what they label as the “Playboy” channel (channel 16) – well, that’s a bit of a misnomer. Let’s just say its several notches above that.

We did leave a gift bag filled with various cosmetics, hair care products and candy for the maid, as well a couple of bucks on the pillow before we left the room each morning. We wrote a note in Spanish included with the bag (so she wouldn’t be questioned about it by the resort), thanking her and asking that our room be cleaned between 10 and 11 am. Sure enough, the room was always cleaned between these times, and always very well. Also, there is a daily resort newsletter to let you know what’s going on that’s dropped off at night and we got three Miami Herald’s during the week (wouldn’t touch it – I wanted total separation from reality).

We did not do the Excellence Club, although we were offered this at check-in for $50/person per night. $700 more for the week – no way. I have heard some people absolutely love it and others say it isn’t worth it. You can read other reviews/posts for opinions and the website for the details of what you get for this upgrade.

Lastly, on a somewhat negative note: there was a musty smell in the room due to the constant presence of humidity versus the air conditioning. This is a fact of life on any Caribbean island that is jungle/rainforest in nature and there is nothing you can do to stop it. It will have already permeated the bed comforter and curtains, and it will get all over everything in the closets, drawers or anything else left in the room. We brought small scented tea light candles to help, but do yourself a favor – bring a small bottle of Febreeze and spray the curtains, bed and your clothes regularly to keep it at bay. Also bring the scented candles, but larger ones that really put out the scent. Also, you must insert one of your room keys in a slot just inside the door to activate the electricity in the room, including the A/C. We used an old gift card instead so we could keep it running and still each have a room key. Any card of the same size will work. However, sometimes the maid removed it after cleaning, and sometimes she didn’t. We usually swung by the room before lunch anyway, so we just replaced it. Not a big hassle, and I understood why they did it. Power can be fickle at DR resorts – the resort had two minor outages while we were there, always during the height of the day (i.e., lots of heat & humidity). They never lasted more than a minute or two, so no big deal.

Resort Grounds

In a word, beautiful. Coconut trees, palm trees, flowers, hedges, etc surrounding all the buildings and stone pathways that meander through the entire resort. There’s even a little nature preserve in the front of the main entry/lobby that contains a variety of native Dominican plant life and a wonderful collection of birds: parrots, flamingos, guinea fowl, chickens/roosters, ducks and geese. They have a little box with bread so you can feed them. The blue parrot loves bananas, by the way.

Beach

Huge – hundreds of yards wide and at least 50 yards deep. And that’s just what’s immediately in front of the resort. The beach continues for miles in either direction without another resort. Very secluded, expansive and probably the best I’ve ever seen in these characteristics. The sand is not the snow-white sand of Jamaica or Aruba; it’s more pink-tan like I saw on Maui’s south coast, and it does get hot when the sun is blazing. There is a surf here – no mill pond/bathtub stillness. Lots of fun. Sometimes it’s more active then others. I’ve read posts and reviews where people indicate that water sports aren’t really possible. Well, I beg to differ as I saw Hobie Cat sailboats, paddleboats and sea kayaks actively used during the week and have the pictures to prove it. I would agree that snorkeling in the immediate resort area of the beach would not be very good. The boogie boards were quite popular in this area. But a walk to the right with your snorkel gear will bring you to a calm area with coral. They also have a great volleyball area, hammocks between the trees in some places, and, most importantly, plenty of lounge chairs and shade palapas to relax under. Get a spot near one of the beach/pool bars and you’ll have waitress service for your favorite cocktail. I also saw a screened-in platform where they did yoga and such during the day. The water sports area is to the far right (looking at the ocean) of the resort grounds.

Pools and Patio Areas

The pools were the nicest I’ve seen at any resort, period. The Cascade/Waterfall pool (the one closest to our building) is very quiet and somewhat secluded. Women going topless is permitted at this pool, and there a few doing so. Very peaceful with the sounds of the waterfalls, and the bar there was never busy. Again, you could always find a chair, however shade was a bit hard to come by there. Pool floaties were available, but there is some hoarding. But I usually saw one or two unoccupied at any given time. This bar also had small sandwiches and salads to snack on.

The main pool is a long, meandering, 4-ft deep one with tree islands and the swim-up pool bar. The party is always rockin’ there, with most people just floating up on their rafts to the bar instead of using the submerged seats. The bar is located right next to the open-air Texas Steakhouse and Mediterranean Seafood Restaurants, and the pool goes right between the two (a bridge over the pool connects the steakhouse to the seafood restaurant). There is a rock bridge divider further down, which acts as a barrier to the remainder of the pool at the far (left) side of the resort. There the pool has a zero-entry end. In several areas of both pools have shallow areas where you can put your lounge chairs directly in about a foot of water. There are many shade palapas and even huge shelters with beds in them for sleeping in the shade. But as many others have said, these are reserved very early (even on rainy mornings since they’re shelters) and the best-located shade palapas (usually near a bar) are also scooped up early. The two outdoor hot tubs are also located along the main pool. The largest snack bar is located toward the far end of the main pool and offers the widest variety of snacks. The entertainment staff will try to get some water polo and other games going during the day.

There are numerous outdoor patios near the pools and bars as well with tables and umbrellas if you can’t find a stool at the bar or just want to sit at a table with a drink and snack.

Interior Spaces:

The main lobby is quite large and nicely decorated, filled with columns, tile, granite and marble. There is always the sound of a fountain and at the very center is an atrium-like structure with its own resident turtles. The guest suite buildings are all painted in pastel colors, and there is much use of stone on walkways and outbuildings. The bars, restaurants and other interiors are all nicely decorated.

Restaurants/Food Service

Before going into the restaurants, there are a couple of non-restaurant food services available. First, there’s 24-hour room service. The pizza seems to be the most popular choice here, and the Margarita pizza is pretty tasty. We ordered room service once and it came in about 30 minutes and was plenty hot when it arrived. Next, I believe that almost every day around lunchtime, weather permitting, they cook up something either on the beach (they have a kind of cooking area set up there) or on the patio between the main building and the beach. They did a beach BBQ one day (beef, chicken, sausage, burgers, hot dogs, etc.) and fajitas twice, once on the patio and once on the beach. I also heard they make seafood paella, but we didn’t see this. Third, on Tuesdays (at least when we were there) they have a big dinner beach party. Unfortunately, there was a deluge of rain that day and the party was cancelled so I can’t comment on it. If the party does occur, several restaurants will be closed (but not all). Finally, there are the snacks and munchies they have at some outdoor bars and snack palapas.

Now, for the restaurants:

In each of the restaurants, expect real tablecloths and a nicely-set table. There are candles at night and flowers during the day most of the time. And now I see from the Secrets website that they’ve just changed all the names of the restaurants except for the Mexican! The new names are given in parentheses:

Quisqueya (now Bordeaux) – this is the French/gourmet and we ate here twice. Food and service were excellent, and be sure to have the pumpkin soup (made with Dominican pumpkins – different in taste) and the Chateaubriand with Sauce Béarnaise. The rack of lamb was also good. It is air conditioning and there is no smoking.

Mediterranean Seafood (now Oceana) – also ate here twice, but for lunch. It has great seafood soups, ceviches and grilled grouper. Also try the chicken breast stuffed with shrimp. It is open air and has smoking and non-smoking sections.

Texas Steakhouse (now Seaside Grill) – ate twice here as well, once for lunch and once for dinner. Try the skirt steak and the 20-ounce rib eye. My wife enjoyed her filet mignon as well. It is open air with smoking and non-smoking sections.

Higuey (now World Café) – this is the large “multi-purpose” restaurant located in the main building. It is the site of the breakfast and lunch buffets. Breakfast is good, with omelet/egg stations in the back, fresh fruit and plenty of other things to try. You can stock up on bottled water here as well. Also, there are Bloody Marys and champagne/mimosas available every morning (can you say “Hair of the Dog”?). We ate lunch here once and it also good with a huge variety of items, including a big bowl of shrimp and a whole roasted suckling pig. Wine is available at lunch, no problem. In the evenings, this restaurant splits into two – the Italian and the Asian. It is air-conditioned and has smoking and non-smoking sections at all meals/restaurant configurations. One note – the A/C wasn’t working one morning and it can get very stuffy in there.

Madam Butterfly (now Himitsu) – we ate here once at enjoyed it very much. They had a very fresh & tasty Ahi tuna sushi and I enjoyed my Pat Thai. My wife enjoyed hers as well, but I can’t remember what she had (mucha champagna).

Bella Italia (now Da Mario) – the Italian restaurant was the one we never made it to, and I’m using it as one of many excuses to go back to Secrets. I can’t comment on the food.

Maria Bonita (same name) – this restaurant is in its own separate building just off the main building, with an open-air plaza in-between. We ate there twice: dinner the first night and for our Romantic Dinner (included with honeymoon or anniversary package). I thought the food was just OK here, including the romantic dinner. But the ambience is nice, and the Romantic Dinner was a nice event. It’s a fixed menu (appetizer, soup, surf, turf or both, dessert) with champagne, candles, rose petals all over the table and you’re serenaded by the mariachi trio. Never did get to try the Dominican menu served there, and now it appears they may have cancelled carrying the Dominican fare as there is no mention of it on the website now.

I will now use the change in name of all the restaurants as an excuse to return.

Beverage Services

This is my personal favorite amenity in this particular all-inclusive resort. Secrets has a bunch of bars, as indicated on the website, so I won’t go into detail on those. But I’m going to make a recommendation here I would strongly encourage you to follow: BRING AN INSULATED MUG FOR THE DAYTIME. The heat will melt ice and warm beer quite quickly and a lidded mug like this will keep your drink nice and cold, not to mention give you a larger quantity for fewer trips to the beach/pool bars (the bartenders had absolutely NO problem with filling ours up). Anyway, here are the “adult” beverages by category:

In-room: I’ve already described what we had in our mini-bar. Excellence club is supposed to provide additional liquors in the room, and you can probably get the details from other reviews.

Beer: Presidente, the “official” Dominican beer, is on tap at all the bars and is quite tasty. This is what I stuck with during the week. I also know they had Bud Light because I saw it being consumed. I heard there was Heineken and Coronas (in the Mex. Rest. Only), but I never saw it.

Wine: This is another area where Secrets really shines. The house wine is Concha y Toro from Chile, which I have purchased at home on several occasions. It was Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay on the “vino blanco” side, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon on the “vino tinto” side. I believe they had a blush/rose also, but we don’t drink it. The champagne was a French Blanc de Blanc Brut. All these house wines were good and flowed like water at lunch, dinner or at any of the bars. And believe you me, we partook at very meal.

Liquor: They have premium brands as well as house brands, especially with rums. If you want brand name rum (or any other liquor) in a mixed drink, you just ask. Here’s a partial list with the highlights: Vodkas: Stoli, Absolut, Smirnoff; Gins: Beefeaters, Gordon’s, Scotch: Chivas Regal, Johnny Walker Black/Red, Cutty Sark; Whiskey: Seagram’s VO; Bourbon: Jack Daniels (Black), Jim Beam; Rum: Bacardi White/Amber, Brugal (yum), and the house brands including 151 proof; Liqueurs: Grand Marnier, Baileys, Cointreau, Sambuca, Amaretto Di Sarno, Kauluha. Again, Secrets really shined in this department. One note – the daiquiris and pina coladas may not immediately contain alcohol, especially at the outdoor bars…they have machines out there that look like Slurpee machines filled with various frozen drink mixes, but I don’t think there’s much if any liquor in them. So be sure to ask for these “con ron” or “con liquor,” or, if you’re like me, “con mucho ron/liquor.”

They have a “drink of the day” that’s listed in the daily newsletter, and of course a customized Secrets specialty drink menu at the bars…this includes the infamous Coco Loco served in the coconut itself. There were also many afternoons and evenings when the martini cart came out. And let’s not forget Mamajuana – the national drink of the DR (i.e., Dominican Viagra). I don’t know about the nickname, but this stuff is tasty (most of the time – we didn’t care for the one that had shrimp used a favoring agent) and packs a punch. Each bartender it seemed has his/her own special recipe, so try it at several places. I liked it so much I bought a kit in the gift shop to make my own at home.

They of course have a wide variety of sodas, juices and bottled water at all the bars.

As you can imagine, by the end of the week I was known as “Marco Loco” and my wife was “Vino Tinto.”

Entertainment

The “animacion” (entertainment) staff is always trying to get the guests to participate in activities during the day, but is never pushy about it. Kioman was always getting a volleyball game going, and he was successful every day. In the lobby areas, they have a cart filled with books, games and playing cards which came in very handy on those rainy mornings or afternoons. The theater would show a movie everyday at 6PM, and these were usually those that had recently come out on DVD (“Meet the Fockers” for e.g.). The nightly stage shows begin at 10PM, with a wide variety of set shows (dancers in costume, jazz singer, live band music from the “loft” above the stage, etc.) as well as many audience participation events like karaoke and the “shoes, shirts and bras” contest (I won’t detail that one further, but it was good clean fun).

There’s a sports area and bar near buildings 1 – 5, and this is where you will find the tennis courts, racquetball court, basketball court, archery, air rifles, foosball tables, pool tables, etc. We spent some time their playing pool when it was raining. It’s also where the resorts helipad is located (if not flooded by rain – then the choppers land on the beach).

The disco/club wasn’t the biggest I’ve ever seen, but it was definitely one of the later-in-the-evening places “to be.” They have theme nights, and we made it to the toga party and cowboy night. The music is mostly a mix of meringue and American dance music, but I heard some of the other themes included 80’s and 90’s nights so I would imagine the music was changed accordingly. The club had a good-sized bar and good table service. Up to a certain time (and I can’t be precise here), there was even a hot dog vendor outside and you could replenish the calories you just burned off dancing. Hats off to Secrets for placing the club away from the guest buildings so noise wouldn’t be an issue.

The casino is small with slots, electronic poker, blackjack, craps and roulette. It also has a small bar. It was nice for some time on a single evening, and we dropped about $80 or so in slots and roulette over a couple hours. This bar is typically the one open the latest (i.e. after 2-3AM when the club closed). I can’t say for sure when any bar actually closed, because my wife and I never closed one (but our sons-in-law did; too bad they can’t remember what time it was).

Spa/Gym

These are located in the same row of buildings as the shops, internet café and club. The spa looked very nice and offered a huge array of services. Even though I encouraged my wife to partake, but she didn’t. I used the gym, and it has a fair selection of elliptical trainers, treadmills, life cycles and Nautilus-type weight machines in addition to a free-weight bench and dumbbells. The lat/triceps machine was broken while I was there, but everything else worked fine. Plenty of towels and cold bottled water were available. I heard there was an infrequently-used hot tub in the spa, but I never used it.

Tours

We didn’t take any, so I can only say that they are varied and available right in the hotel. Apple and Prieto Tours have customer service desks right in the main building.

Shopping/Vendors

Local vendors are invited to the resort about every other night, and set up either outside the main lobby next to the Maria Bonita restaurant & nature preserve, or inside along the corridors to the lobby if the weather isn’t cooperating. Definitely barter with them, but always whisper your counteroffers in their ear…they don’t want any of their competitors to know what kind of deal they’re making with you. Cash only, of course. Some can be pushy, but just say “no gracias” and walk away. Same thing if they won’t make a deal with you. Never pay more than half of their starting price. There wares are your standard tropical island stuff – artwork, carvings, jewelry, cigars, rum, etc.

There are also more standard shops along one side of the entrance road next to the nature preserve. There is jewelry, pharmacy, gifts, clothes and tobacco shops. The club and the internet café are at the end of this line of shops.

Other/Miscellaneous

There’s an internet café and coffee house at the very end of the row of shops and before the club. I never went in it (that whole escape from reality thing), so I don’t know how much they charge or how good the workstations were.

Secrets has full wedding services and arrangements. We saw several brides while we were there, and their outdoor wedding gazebo is very nice. They have a horse-drawn carriage as well.

Secrets offers a complimentary horseback ride – sign up for it and your Romantic Dinner (if applicable) as soon as you get to the resort. This is done through the concierge in the lobby. Our ride was cancelled due to a computer problem (they could tell the ranch how many horses to bring), but we were going to cancel anyway because we’d been there, done that. If you do cancel anything you arrange (horses, tours, etc.), be sure to do it as far in advance as possible as there may be a penalty fee involved last-minute.

There is also a professional photographer available with many packages to choose from. We did not do this, but the ones my daughter and son-in-law did on their honeymoon last year were great.

Weather

I saved the least pleasant aspect of our trip for last, but it has nothing to do with Secrets because even they can’t control the weather. It rained every day we were there; some days were deluges that would last for hours, and others that were the more typical passing afternoon thunderstorms that would last an hour or less. It cut back a bit on our beach/pool time, but as I’ve previously mentioned there are many things you can do under cover. One day it rained so hard some of the floors in the lobby flooded and they had to close these sections until the staff could squeegee the water out. But this is what happens in the tropics, and it’s always hit-and-miss on the weather. But there was still sun and plenty of heat and time at the pools and beach, so it wasn’t a wash out. It would have been nice to have nothing but sun the whole week, and the clear blue and aqua water that comes with that, but it was not to be. It wouldn’t prevent me from going again. Heck, the nap time the rain provided was nice, or you could do a Jacuzzi in your room if you didn’t feel like being out in the public areas.

Summary

Probably thought you’d never make it to the end, huh? All I can say was our week at Secrets was one of the best vacations and most memorable times we’ve ever had, and I would not hesitate one second to do it again myself or recommend this wonderful place to anyone. Feel free to email me with questions at -----------. I also have some digital photos (at least the ones I can publicly share) if you’re interested.

Mark