“Our most amazing trip yet!!!”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #14 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
St. Marys, Pa
“Our most amazing trip yet!!!”
Reviewed April 23, 2005

In April my husband and I decided we needed a vacation! We booked a week at Secrets in Punta Cana. I can not begin to describe how incredable this vacation was!! The hotel was beyond beauty! Everything you can imagine was at your fingertips. And the food was out of this world!! We snorkled, went on safaris, went horseback riding, enjoyed the beautiful beach, and just relaxed!! Also the entertainment at night was so enjoyable! My husband even got to be a "star" for the night! If you plan on traveling and need a perfect vacation, you must stay at Secrets in Punta Cana!

• Stayed April 2005
24 Thank Crystal B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,602)
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 23, 2005

This is going to be a short one being that we stayed there last yr March 28-April 11, 2004 for our Honeymoon. Best place we have ever been to. Love everything about it, the staff Wilkins, Luciano..everyone..it was awesome. Our Honeymoon was 2wks too short and now that we have been there all our other holidays (5 stars as well) are nothing compared to this place. LOVE IT!!!!! NOTHING COMPARES!

• Stayed March 2004
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 22, 2005

I am amazed at some of the poor reviews given here. All I can figure is that some people are just impossible to please. Our trip was wonderful - well aside from the treacherous ride from the airport! The employees were all very polite and friendly, food was great, atmosphere perfect, beach gorgeous, room comfortable and roomy and all the amenities A1. If you're planning to visit an all-inclusive resort, this would be the one to try before all else. We will definitely be going back!

• Stayed March 2005
25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed April 21, 2005

First of all let me start out by telling you , if you have ANY doubts about this resort.....DONT....the place is beautiful, the people are friendly & the food is good.

THE RIDE: yes, it was long (about 1 1/4 hours) and a little bit bumpy, but that should not put you off. It was not as bad as some people made it seem, it is definitely worth the ride if you are staying for some time. If you are staying for only 3 or 4 nights, might not be worth the drive for you.

RESORT: the grounds are magnificent. They were always cleaning and picking up after people. The staff is very friendly...whatever you asked for was answered “its a pleasure”..we did tip when we felt service was outstanding and they did seem appreciative.

POOL: In a word....amazing. We spent all of our days lounging around the pool & pool bar. We never had any problem getting a chair as others have mentioned. We did walk over to see the cascading pool. It was much quieter and more serene. But because our room was near the other pool, we opted to stay there. The swim up bar is great & they are more than willing to make any drink you like. I have been to other resorts where if you ask for a tropical blended drink you feel as if you are putting them out...not here. I tried them all & my favourite is the Nisibon (try it!)

ROOMS: We were upgraded to a Swim-out suite which was located right by the pool & swim up bar. For us, this was a perfect location. We never had to use our beach bag because whenever we needed anything we could just open our door....also helps when you have to use the bathroom;). The rooms themselves were great. Very spacious with a big canopied bed. My husband did say the bed was a little hard the 1st night, but I had no problem. The jacuzzi is large enough for 2 persons, if you are both on the smaller side....needless to say, we didn't fit. The rooms were always kept clean & when you arrive you can fill out a card which lets the maid know what time you like your room serviced. The mini - bar was great for H20 & soda, as well as before dinner cocktails. We left the guy a few dollars whenever we wanted something extra (like minis of scotch or vodka) and he would leave tons extra for us....very nice. The T.V. was great with a lot of channels in English for movies, news , etc. PLUS>>>channel 16 ( you’ll see when you get there;)

FOOD: You will not go hungry. The food was excellent. No, it was not 5 star NY gourmet restaurant, but is was very good. Breakfast is a buffet which was very good. Lots of items to choose from. I have seen others on this site complain about the cold french toast, & yes, sometimes is was not hot.....but who cares when you have Felix’s omelettes. For lunch you had a few options...pizza (very good) in the Italian restaurant, hot dogs & fries (really bad) at the snack bar.. Palapa Texas for burgers, steaks, salads (all good) or Palapa Mediterranea for shrimp & seafood(delicious, but small portions, order 2)Dinner was many choices. Mexican was very good. Palapa Mediterrenea for dinner was informal but very good (had lobster). Italian was just o.k. Palapa Texas for dinner was o.k. but the steaks a bit fatty. Definitely eat as QUISQUEYA.....the best...this was the only restaurant that we had to wait for about 1 hour, but it so good, we did the same the next night. The food was delicious, but once again small portions, so if you are very hungry, order double....apparently, lots of people do this (according to the waiter) If we knew about this restaurant earlier, we probably would have eaten here every night. You do however have to dress up for this one. BTW...the only restaurants you are allowed to wear shorts to is the Palapas.

NIGHTLIFE: They did put on a cute (but corny) show each night after dinner. We saw this a few nights while waiting to go to the disco. Disco was pretty good. The music was good to dance to and each night they had a theme. We met some great people in the Disco. There is a casino there, but very small. DON'T PLAY SUPER KENO!!!! We met 3 couples who lost a lot of money on this scam. There are also quieter bars to just relax in or outside. The sports bar looked cute, but out of the way for us. Just some advice : do not walk on the beach at night...although it seems romantic, there are sand fleas that will bite. We did see one girl with the bites and they were pretty bad.

All in all, Secrets was a beautiful, romantic and relaxing vacations. I would go back there in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2005
50 Thank MissPigi
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed April 16, 2005

Been to alot of all-inclusives and this by far was my best experience. Minor problems will always happen but you have to look beyond this, Many choices of where to eat and find your fancy. Liquor was fine and if you found too weak, ask for a shot on top. I did not mind tipping because if I find service good this is not a problem for me. Alot of the Super Clubs I have been too have become quite lax in there service and places like Secrets I feel will take over in the place to go. Over all beauty of this resort is well worth the visit. I stayed at Bldg 1 the swim out suites by the cascading waterfall. Great Desk people, Friendly people, Great Resort and I am planning to return next year. I went boogie boarding and I had a great time. The layout of the pools throughout this complex is beyond anything I have seen at any other resort.Like I said I heve been there and done that at many resorts and would like to share my visit with anyone who would like too know more. Me and my wife are in our early 50.s and we travel with her sister and her husband every year. We were there April 5th to the 12th.

• Stayed April 2005
46 Thank Charlie V
Reviewed April 13, 2005

My wife and I went to secrets last August and I proposed to her. We then went down again in June and got married on the beach with tiki torches and a three piece band at sunset. The whole experience was stress free and beautiful. We are going down for our 6/26 anniversary and can't wait. We have never had a bad experience both times we were there. The family that joined us had a wonderful time as well. We are in our late 20's early 30's and the 18 and over is what sold us...especially since my wife is a teacher! We are to take another couple with us this time and we are as excited as the first time. The first time we stayed in a garden suite, while the second in a honeymoon suite. I know that reading these reviews are addictive, we still do, but quit worrying!!! Obviously if we are going for a third time, it must be nice. The grounds are immaculate. The rooms are clean, and yes a little tipping to the maids and the barback for your fridge helps. Once you see how hard and long they work to make you happy, you will want to give them a little something. We have eaten in every restaraunt except the chinese. You will find something you like. If you order something and don't like it...order something else. This is really nice when it comes to experimenting with new drinks. As far as the excursions...couldn't tell you. We never left the resort except to ride the horses. As soon as you arrive sign up for the ride and the pictures the resort offers. They did our wedding pictures and were unbelievable!! The pool is great and goes on and on. The red flag was out everytime we went, but if you are like us and live on the coast and go to the beach, it is perfect for boogie boarding. If it is too rough, you can go to the right of the resort and swim or snorkel. If you have any questions just ask. We kind of know the ins and outs of the place. But can't tell it all...you need to experience some of the surprises yourself.

• Stayed June 2004
54 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 12, 2005

Stayed at Secrets excellence from January 9th-15th and loved it!!! My husband and I went with another couple and we had a great time. The rooms are BEAUTIFUL!!! We had a third floor oceanview room with cathedral ceiling and let's not forget the jacuzzi!!. What a great feeling waking up listening to the ocean waves crashing upon the shore.
The beach was great..... yes rough but fun. No it's not the calm Caribbean water like Jamaica but the water is beautiful the sand is soft and if you like to have fun you will enjoy the rough surf. The entertainment was average the shows were good...not great but come on you are in the D.R., it's not broadway. The food was good. Texas restaurant was excellent best Filet Mignon I've had in a long time. And the mashed poatoes were great too!!!
The French resaturant was good too!! Try the Frech Onion soup you won't be disappointed. As far as breakfast I thought it was just OK.... not a real big variety and after 6 days I was ready for variety. All in all we had a fantastic time. We were there to relax and we did just that. Oh I almost forgot the POOL is excellent!!! What a beautiful place. The outside bar by the beach was the best. The bartenders were great!!!! (Happy New year Jose!!! ) If you are looking for a place to relax and enjoy the company of the person you are with you will not be disappointed with Secrets. If you are looking for more of a party atmosphere this is not the place for you.

• Stayed January 2005