Lowest prices for your stay
Excellence Resorts
Travelocity$394
Orbitz.com$394
CheapTickets$394
17,994 results
All reviews cascade pool the grill lobster chez isabelle our honeymoon martini bar flavor market las olas sax player swim up bar french restaurant garden view bug spray red flag greeted with champagne other resorts coco loco
Selected filters
Reviewed October 18, 2014

We went to Excellence for our honeymoon and had a great time. The staff were lovely, the food delicious and the beach beautiful. So romantic and relaxing. This was our first time in the DR and we can't wait to return!

3  Thank J M
Reviewed October 18, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 14 nights in September 2014 which in our minds was too long unless you're happy to laze around the pool all day & book a couple of trips, 7 to 10 days maximum is ideal. It's a place to chill. The hotel is isolated with absolutely nothing to see in the surrounding area. The hotel is lovely with landscaped gardens and a varied selection of restaurants, cafes and bars but found the food to be bland. The best were breakfast and the buffet lunch in the Toscana restaurant. Overall the staff are attentive and pleasant, the entertainments team by the main pool are amazing (Cassandra & Rhiane). Whilst there the hotel had a serious problem with Mosquitos. Just about everyone was affected, one wedding party ate their meal in 10 minutes flat just to get away from the mossies & sun flies. I would not recommend eating in the Lobster House in the evening because of the mosquitos and found our waiter, Leonel, rude. He needs to be taught how to speak to guests in a courteous manner.

In a nutshell the hotel was amazing, staff brilliant. Recommend the all day boat trip to an island on the Caribbean side. The hotel guests mainly from the States were friendly & fun. Excellence is definitely a place to just chill & relax with an abundance of cocktails. The spa was good, calming. The room was very spacious but the mosquitos spoilt it for us, had to request for our room to be sprayed each night and sought medical assistance for the bites. Have never experienced anything like it before and we're seasoned travellers!

Room tip: Not worth upgrading, they had a separate pool area but the main pool was where all the action was taking place. Recommend a top floor room.
3  Thank 181beverleyp
Reviewed October 18, 2014

I just want to say that is was the best resort i have ever stayed in. I have been to Cancun a few times and this resort blows them out of the water.
1. The food was outstanding. I know what i like to eat so i pretty much ate steaks for dinner and ventured out with different things for lunch. Every steak i had was cooked just how i ordered it. My wife tried many things she would have never tired back home and she liked most of it. Breakfast is the best at the lobster place.
2. The grounds were awesome. We really didn't venture out until the last day. :( on the last day we found the cool pool with the water fall in it. Really wished we would have found it sooner. But we mostly hung out in the pool on north end of the resort. We like to call it the old people pool. No activities going on there just people hanging out. The bar tender at that pool was Hector. I will talk about him more. Also you have to go and see the parrots they have out past the lobby. I saw that they were bring them around the pool and taking peoples pictures and I'm sure the charge you for the pictures, but the stay out in some trees outside the gift shops. One of them is nice and the other didn't seem so nice. But the nice will come out of his/her tree and will get on your shoulder and chill. How ever he does like buttons and sparkly things. There is also a whole work out trail by the parrots.
3. I know a lot of people were talking about the mosquitoes, they really are not that bad. All you need is a little spray at night. I personally took a candle with some citronella oil in it, and use that while watchin the show at night. During the day i did not get bite at all, but i from Texas so I'm probably use to them by now.
4. The bar tenders... Hector is by far my favorite. He will know your name once you introuduce yourself to him. He was at the pool where there were no activities. He knows how to make every dirnk out there. He took care of my and another couple we meet while we were there. They liked Coors light and that was something they didn't have at that bar. But he would send someone for it or he would go get it him self. He pretty much kept a 6 pack in his bar just for them. It took me a while to find Corona but i did. He would also keep that in his bar when he could get his hands on it. I can't say enough about Hector except he needs a RAISE!!!!!
5. Excursions. We did two of them. We did the hipline adventure and the Reef Explorer.
Zip line was cool just kinda expensive for it. I used my gopro and it was maybe 30 long, but took half a day. I will say it was cool seeing the small cities that you had to travel through to get to the zip line place.
Reef explorer. It was really cool. Nice floating dock they take you out to, and swim with some stingrays and some nerf sharks. The best thing about Reef Explorer was the guid, his name was Valentine. This guy was cool as could be. I know he had been doing this same job for so long but he was so happy when we got there. He know all his coworkers and came by a greeted everyone that was going on his adventure. His laugh is something else. I can still hear his laugh when i think about him. Theres two different places to snorkel there and they take you side the two netted in places. It was a cool experance and the people were very nice. That was a very common thing in Punta Cana it seemed as if every single person we meet just LOVED to come to work. I also can not cay enough about Valentine except he needs a RAISE to.

I hope this review will help people choose the Excellence like i did. The place is beautiful and amazing, the waiters, bartenders and everyone else there are just so damn happy. I can wait to go to another one or maybe back to this one.

Last i know theres pictures of the beach not being clean. This is no true, they were out there every morning cleaning every bit of there beach line. Now there are shops at each end of the property that they do not clean, Because its not theres.

The only downfall for me is i couldn't fly nonstop. Other then that i would go back here in a heartbeat.

2  Thank russcross05
Reviewed October 17, 2014

I will start with the best parts of the resort:

- excellent staff that exceeded my expectations
- nightly shows are very entertaining
- many fun poolside activities during the day
- pool was kept very clean
- beautiful ecological area with a variety of flowers & birds
- food was good (flavour market and lobster house are great)
- overall very happy with my experience there

Cons:

- room wasn't always cleaned very well (dirty mirrors, around the tub area was dirty etc)
- many stains on the comforters, sheets
- cupboards were broken in bathroom area
- stains on the walls, doors
- not enough floaties for people in the pool (people held onto them all day)
- the beach area is nice but the water is no good for swimming (too rough)
- they fog every night for mosquitoes (it got into the room every night )
- 6:00 am they fog again (horrible sleep)

* one important comment I have to make about the fogging. I understand they have no choice but to fog because the mosquitoes are horrible. My only issue was that I have asthma and I didn't know that they would spray so close to our door. The cracks are wide in the doors and the fog came right inside the room. This caused many unpleasant coughing attacks for me, which isn't fun.

Room tip: Try to pick a area where they don't fog as much.
Date of stay: October 2014
3  Thank 87jen
Reviewed October 17, 2014

My husband and I went to Excellence for our Honeymoon from October 1st-8th. Ironically, excellence was Excellent!!!!

We took a private Taxi to the resort, because if you take the bus you will have to stop at other resorts and it will take longer. It was $70 each way for a 35 minute ride. Well worth it!

Upon our arrival we were greeted by staff members with champagne and a bell hop who took our luggage for us. We checked in and actually upgraded to the Excellence Club, which gave us a nicer room, view, private pool and private beach, which was awesome! A lot of other honeymooners were in the "club" as well and we met a lot of nice people!

The staff was super nice, always! This resort is very, very CLEAN!! You can see the staff every morning on their hands and knees scrubbing the tile and cleaning the pools and it was just nice to see that. Room service was wonderful. We had premium liquor, beer, wine, soda and water stocked in our room daily.

The restaurants were wonderful. Toscana has the best breakfast. Anything and everything you could dream of. Spice, the Asian restaurant was extremely good. The lobster at the lobster house was delightful. I pretty much ate seafood all week and was in heaven!
We ordered room service late at night and it was pretty good as well.

Las Olas was nice for lunch, always a different menu.
Agave was pretty good, Barcelona was ok. We went to every restaurant there. You can always find something you like!

Honestly, there were nights where we would stop in one restaurant for appetizers, then go somewhere else for dinner and then somewhere else for dessert... just because we COULD!!
It was awesome.

The shows at night are amazing!! They don't start until 9:30, so don't drink too much in the pool to where you are in bed at 8! (Guilty our first night there) Haha
There is a small casino. We went it and played a few rounds of Black Jack pretty much every night. Won some, lost some.

We went on two excursions. We went deep sea fishing and we booked through Pierre, who comes around on the beach and pool areas and it's cheaper than going through the resort itself. Fishing, my husband and the guys caught 9 mahi-mahi.
We also did the booze cruise/snorkel trip, also booked through Pierre. It was a lot of fun!

We had massages in the spa at the resort. AMAZING!!

It truly was a week full of relaxation and fun! Lounging in the pool or on the beach and having the staff come around and offer you drinks all day, it just doesn't get any better than that!

It was the perfect honeymoon. We plan on going back next year with a group of our close friends!!

WE CANNOT WAIT TO GO BACK!!!! :) :) :)

Room tip: If you are going on a romantic trip, upgrade to ocean view in the excellence club. If you are going with friends, go cheap! The only time you are in the room is to sleep and shower anyways! All of the rooms are nice!
Date of stay: October 2014