“Fabulous”

Ranked #17 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Stayed here for 10 nights in march had an amazing holiday food good bed hard but that's good cocktails fantastic especially from feliix at the pool bar loved the martini bar can't wait to visit this hotel again
sue and steve redditch uk

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank 955sue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,557)
  • Korean first
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Excellence Resort in Punta Cana for 7 nights at the end of March and will definitely return. We wanted a relaxing holiday to celebrate a birthday and after a very busy start to the year and that is exactly what we received. From the moment we arrived at the resort we were welcomed and served champagne. We had booked a Excellence club suite and we were not disappointed with the little extras you get with this. My husband is not one to relax by a pool all day long, however he was very happy to relax on the Excellence club beach all day, especially with the waiter service to your sun lounger.
The food and drinks were great, we tried most the restaurants and can say we enjoyed every meal and never left a restaurant feeling we could eat a little more.
Room service was excellent did not take too long and the choice was lovely.
We did not watch all the shows but the couple we did stay for were excellent and everyone was so nice and friendly.
Getting a sun lounger was never a problem whether by the pool or beach. One day we wondered away from the main pool and found that the cascade pool was virtually empty.

Room Tip: We had a excellence club ocean view swim up suite. I would say that I would probably not go for the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank JassiT
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2014

This will be brief! Our only complaints so far are as follows: Mini bar not stocked the same as day 1 (no beer and less water). This will sound uber cheesy but I always do a "cleanliness test" with cups and glasses and so far they have failed. There is a very distinct marking on one of the coffee cups in our room and I took a pic of the marking after noticing a cloth swirl in the bottom of the cup as if it had been cleaned with a dry cloth. Well, it was the same cup after maid service had cleaned our room. Yuck! Not surprised as this is the 2nd resort to have done this but gross all the same. So, only takeout coffee for us from now on! Coffee pot was also just rinsed out. Wine bottle not restocked. No fancy towel at turn down service but no biggie, it's just a silly plus that we are used to! One day there was no daily newsletter for the next day's activities but again, no biggie, just a plus. Little details are missed like, extra towels given knowing that we used one of our towels to hang over the glass window in the shower so you don't have to watch your partner...eh hem...on the throne. Cigarette butts left on the patio from the previous guests. My husband and I saw (him, one night, and me, the other) staff toss beer out and refill the same glass with beer for another guest!! Very disturbing to actually see it. Obviously it goes on at all resorts but to see it in plane view is really disappointing. Basically, if I don't see it, it doesn't exist so it sucks that it was right in front of me and impossible to ignore. Anyway, that is all I felt necessary to mention right away. I will update again when our trip is over. Also, I realize that many of you may be wondering why I rated it a 4/5 considering everything. It is soley because of everything BUT what I have mentioned and because, let's face it, they all do these things.

Tip: Not everyone is effected by a tip. We tipped very well to the person who cleans our room at the very beginning of our trip and it didn't seem to do much. Things were missed and she didn't seem all that fazed by it when we gave it to her. We also noticed that most bar tenders would treat us the same as a completely new guests who sat down at the bar and didn't tip at all. This is a good thing, in my opinion, but would have been good to know in the beginning(not that we wouldn't have tipped but maybe only a few bucks). Also, don't upgrade. The club guests may be treated differently than "regular" guests but certainly not $200 worth, which is what it was offered to us for. Just saying.

Room Tip: Choose building 6, very private.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Chicken568
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Excellence Resort in Punta Cana for 5 nights and we were not disappointed. From the beginning when we arrived, we felt at "home" as the workers were very nice and served us champaign to sip on as we were checking in. Alberto, our friend helping with the luggage, was also very nice as he remembered our names and backgrounds throughout the week. The front desk was very accommodating and helpful of anything we needed. The room was amazing as we had an ocean view suite with jacuzzi. The pool was right outside of our patio door which was nice so we just went straight into the pool if we wanted. The restaurants were all delicious and the 8 different restaurants provided a great variety of food so you never get bored of what your eating. In fact, you will probably eat a lot. The beach was private as it only had excellence residents and the water was beautiful. In some parts it was the clear blue water that you dream of being in. Each night there were shows put on by world class performers such as brazilian samba dancers, Michael Jackson Experience, and the circus.

Probably my most favorite experience was grabbing a martini or cocktail at 6:30 pm daily by the Martini bar with Domingo Rosa Cadet playing on the saxophone accompanied by piano. I am a very experienced saxophone player and Domingo is definitely a world class saxophonist. He played several of different songs all from memory and also learned the All of Me song by John Legend and played it for my wife and I! He was a very nice and humble gentleman and hope I can play at his level in the future. If your looking to relax and listen to great music, go to that piano/sax combo at the martini bar!!

I recommend excellence to any honeymooners or anniversaries as it is a great place to kick back and relax.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank J0sephG_32
Commack, New York
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My best friend and myself went here for vacation. We are both teachers and just wanted to get away and relax. never thought I would come back saying that it was the best vacation i have ever been on. The staff was amazing, the shows were great, everyone was so nice and friendly. If anyone is going away this is somewhere I would tell everyone to go to. There were mostly couples but we made friends with anyone anyways. AMAZING TIME!! And if you go, visit the STARS bar and get a drink from JOSE OR OMAR. They are both the best bartenders and just amazing guys!!

Room Tip: Get a room in the buildings closer to the lobby so you don't have to walk a mile each day, even...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank Brittany M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I went here with my husband in September 2009 for our honeymoon. Easily have to say it was the best vacation to date! Food and drink was great. We got locked out of our room the first night, though we suspect that might have been due to putting our card keys too close to our cell phone (the magnet on the case). The Pizza service around the pool bar is fantastic since we spent most of our days sitting there. We paid extra for the club room, which was a nice aspect to spoil ourselves with, but wouldn't really say it's necessary. It was just fun. We made friends with 2 other couples of whom we are still in contact with to this day! The hotel offered a paid service where you could get honeymoon photos taken which of all the souvenirs I've ever gotten over the years, were probably the ones I've cherished most (attached below).

I kept eating something that made me ill, most likely something you're not supposed to (or possibly I just have a soft stomach) but my husband had no issues while we were there.

We just keep saying how one of these years, we'd love to return for our anniversary!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KarenTipster
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed June 8, 2014

My wife and I visited the Excellence Punta Cana Resort in May of 2014. We also went with another couple we knew. Overall I would rate our experience 4 stars out of 5; and in addition this was also our 2 time travelling to the Dominican Republic (the first time we visited we stayed at another resort) I previously read over other reviews before we went on this trip and while everyone's experience is different, I must say that we had a great time.

Check-In:
The ride from the airport was about 45 minutes to an hour long. Despite the long ride we enjoyed seeing all the different areas of the Dominican Republic. One of the reasons I gave the resort a 4 out of five was because upon arrival the bell boys grabbed our luggage and we proceeded to a small welcome desk where they had champagne glasses lined up. The guy at the welcome desk was not very welcoming and I don't drink alcohol but he never asked me did I want a different beverage or anything but merely dismissed me. At every other All-Inclusive Resort that I have been to I was always given an option for a non-alcoholic beverage of my choosing upon being welcomed at the resort. I may just be a little spoiled from previous all inclusive vacations I have been on but they didn't offer us cold towels either. While this was a slight snag upon arrival I didn't allow it to sway me in my overall view of the resort. After passing the welcome desk we proceeded to the check-in counter and our check in process was very smooth and efficient. The individuals that checked us in made us feel very welcome and valued individuals at the resort. We had the excellence suite on the bottom floor with an ocean view (room 1009). The bell boys were very accommodating and friendly as they lead us to our rooms.

The Rooms:
The Room was very large and we had two patios as well as an ocean view. The room was very clean and appointed. Another reason for my rating of 4 out of 5 was that although the rooms were very clean there were small updates that needed to be done. One update was that one could easily see that the room was in need of an updated paint job and minor fixes and adjustments on patio doors, windows, closets and cabinets. It had an updated bathroom and t.v. but a lot of other things were outdated like the paint and the decor. And one thing to note is that it gets very humid in the room and if the air conditioner and fan are not on constantly the room develops a muggy, wet, mildewy type of smell. The resort is aware of the issue and have reminders in the room to keep the patio doors and room door closed in order to avoid the development of the smell. They also provided incense each day to help combat the smell. Other than that the room was very pleasant, the fridge and snacks were restocked daily, and we never had any maintenance issues with our room. A positive was that our housekeeping lady would always gives us extra snacks of the items we ate the most of like Oreos.

Resort Grounds:
The Resort grounds were amazing. Very well maintained each day and service personnel were regularly cutting the grass trimming bushes and etc. While I must also note that the outside of many of the buildings could use an updated paint job as well (some paint was chipping, rust on some of the stair rails and etc).

Pool:
The resort has 2 pools one very large pool that spans almost the entire length of the resort and a smaller pool closer to the shops and gym. Both pools were immaculate. They were always clean and sparkling. We never had a problem finding any lounge chairs or cabana beds. Every now and then I would see a staff person walking by asking if we needed anything or wanted anything,but I would've like to see a few more service personnel in the pool areas. At night the pools were illuminated in different colors adding a very luxurious and pleasant feel.

Activities:
There are a huge range of activities that the resort offers. Often times during the day we saw people playing volleyball, bingo, and etc. The gym was very clean, sleek and up to date. One thing that I really thought was awesome was the fact that each individual receives a free horseback riding activity during their stay. We really enjoyed the nightly entertainment as well. Each night the resort performs a different show in the theater in the center of the main area of the resort. While we didn't go to every show, we did attend 4 out of the 7 that they offered. The resort does a good job of keeping everyone entertained and having a good time. They also have a board near the Toscana restaurant that has a list of the activities for each day. The also have an area on the resort were different travel agencies are stationed and they offer different excursions and tours. We did the buggie tour and really enjoyed it.

FOOD:
Overall I must say that the food to me was good (and a few times great). I have been to another all inclusive resort in the Dominican that was more expensive and has more stars and the food selection wasn't nearly as good as the food at Excellence Punta Cana. Each restaurant had a decent range of options and selections (more exotic items such as duck, Mahi Mahi and lamb to regular items like chicken, beef and sea food). By far the best Restaurant for dinner to me was the French restaurant Chez Isabelle. I would say the Flavor Market came in a close second and the Asian themed restaurant Spice was 3rd. Breakfast was always delicious at Toscana and there was always large selection of items every morning at the buffet. Another positive thing about Excellence was that reservations were never necessary to go to any restaurant. At the other all inclusive resorts I have been to making reservations for different restaurants each night became a huge pain in the butt. It was very enjoyable to eat at one place and then get up and go to a different restaurant 20 minutes later. We often ate lunch at The Grill or Las Olas, which both had a good selection of items as well.

Beach:
The beach was amazing. Has down it was one of the best beaches I have ever been to. While I must note that most of the time the waves were a little too rough for swimming, the view and location was beautiful. The water was a wonderful Caribbean turquoise. Not to mention that the Excellence beach was a private beach, so we didn't have to deal with vendors harassing us trying to make a sale or anything like that (the are vendors at the very end of the resort beach for those who would like to buy souvenirs and such) . The beach also had a couple sand bars further out into the ocean off the beach where you could stand on the sand bar and watch fish swim by.

Conclusion:Overall we had a very enjoyable time on our vacation at Excellence Punta Cana. And while there are things that the resort does need to address and work on, the service was great and I would love to have the opportunity to visit this resort again in the future. And I would recommend it to other couples as well.

P.S. We really enjoyed Christian who was our waiter/server during breakfast many times at Toscana and at Spice at night time for dinner. He always kept a smile on his face and went out of his way to make sure we were taken care of.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
20 Thank D H
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Punta Cana with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.