“Excellence Resort at Punta Cana is in fact Excellent!!! Great Sax/Piano combo each night” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Excellence Punta Cana

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #16 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Excellence Resort in Punta Cana for 5 nights and we were not disappointed. From the beginning when we arrived, we felt at "home" as the workers were very nice and served us champaign to sip on as we were checking in. Alberto, our friend helping with the luggage, was also very nice as he remembered our names and backgrounds throughout the week. The front desk was very accommodating and helpful of anything we needed. The room was amazing as we had an ocean view suite with jacuzzi. The pool was right outside of our patio door which was nice so we just went straight into the pool if we wanted. The restaurants were all delicious and the 8 different restaurants provided a great variety of food so you never get bored of what your eating. In fact, you will probably eat a lot. The beach was private as it only had excellence residents and the water was beautiful. In some parts it was the clear blue water that you dream of being in. Each night there were shows put on by world class performers such as brazilian samba dancers, Michael Jackson Experience, and the circus.

Probably my most favorite experience was grabbing a martini or cocktail at 6:30 pm daily by the Martini bar with Domingo Rosa Cadet playing on the saxophone accompanied by piano. I am a very experienced saxophone player and Domingo is definitely a world class saxophonist. He played several of different songs all from memory and also learned the All of Me song by John Legend and played it for my wife and I! He was a very nice and humble gentleman and hope I can play at his level in the future. If your looking to relax and listen to great music, go to that piano/sax combo at the martini bar!!

I recommend excellence to any honeymooners or anniversaries as it is a great place to kick back and relax.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank J0sephG_32

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,495)
  • Korean first
Commack, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

My best friend and myself went here for vacation. We are both teachers and just wanted to get away and relax. never thought I would come back saying that it was the best vacation i have ever been on. The staff was amazing, the shows were great, everyone was so nice and friendly. If anyone is going away this is somewhere I would tell everyone to go to. There were mostly couples but we made friends with anyone anyways. AMAZING TIME!! And if you go, visit the STARS bar and get a drink from JOSE OR OMAR. They are both the best bartenders and just amazing guys!!

Room Tip: Get a room in the buildings closer to the lobby so you don't have to walk a mile each day, even...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank Brittany M
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

I went here with my husband in September 2009 for our honeymoon. Easily have to say it was the best vacation to date! Food and drink was great. We got locked out of our room the first night, though we suspect that might have been due to putting our card keys too close to our cell phone (the magnet on the case). The Pizza service around the pool bar is fantastic since we spent most of our days sitting there. We paid extra for the club room, which was a nice aspect to spoil ourselves with, but wouldn't really say it's necessary. It was just fun. We made friends with 2 other couples of whom we are still in contact with to this day! The hotel offered a paid service where you could get honeymoon photos taken which of all the souvenirs I've ever gotten over the years, were probably the ones I've cherished most (attached below).

I kept eating something that made me ill, most likely something you're not supposed to (or possibly I just have a soft stomach) but my husband had no issues while we were there.

We just keep saying how one of these years, we'd love to return for our anniversary!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KarenTipster
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

My wife and I visited the Excellence Punta Cana Resort in May of 2014. We also went with another couple we knew. Overall I would rate our experience 4 stars out of 5; and in addition this was also our 2 time travelling to the Dominican Republic (the first time we visited we stayed at another resort) I previously read over other reviews before we went on this trip and while everyone's experience is different, I must say that we had a great time.

Check-In:
The ride from the airport was about 45 minutes to an hour long. Despite the long ride we enjoyed seeing all the different areas of the Dominican Republic. One of the reasons I gave the resort a 4 out of five was because upon arrival the bell boys grabbed our luggage and we proceeded to a small welcome desk where they had champagne glasses lined up. The guy at the welcome desk was not very welcoming and I don't drink alcohol but he never asked me did I want a different beverage or anything but merely dismissed me. At every other All-Inclusive Resort that I have been to I was always given an option for a non-alcoholic beverage of my choosing upon being welcomed at the resort. I may just be a little spoiled from previous all inclusive vacations I have been on but they didn't offer us cold towels either. While this was a slight snag upon arrival I didn't allow it to sway me in my overall view of the resort. After passing the welcome desk we proceeded to the check-in counter and our check in process was very smooth and efficient. The individuals that checked us in made us feel very welcome and valued individuals at the resort. We had the excellence suite on the bottom floor with an ocean view (room 1009). The bell boys were very accommodating and friendly as they lead us to our rooms.

The Rooms:
The Room was very large and we had two patios as well as an ocean view. The room was very clean and appointed. Another reason for my rating of 4 out of 5 was that although the rooms were very clean there were small updates that needed to be done. One update was that one could easily see that the room was in need of an updated paint job and minor fixes and adjustments on patio doors, windows, closets and cabinets. It had an updated bathroom and t.v. but a lot of other things were outdated like the paint and the decor. And one thing to note is that it gets very humid in the room and if the air conditioner and fan are not on constantly the room develops a muggy, wet, mildewy type of smell. The resort is aware of the issue and have reminders in the room to keep the patio doors and room door closed in order to avoid the development of the smell. They also provided incense each day to help combat the smell. Other than that the room was very pleasant, the fridge and snacks were restocked daily, and we never had any maintenance issues with our room. A positive was that our housekeeping lady would always gives us extra snacks of the items we ate the most of like Oreos.

Resort Grounds:
The Resort grounds were amazing. Very well maintained each day and service personnel were regularly cutting the grass trimming bushes and etc. While I must also note that the outside of many of the buildings could use an updated paint job as well (some paint was chipping, rust on some of the stair rails and etc).

Pool:
The resort has 2 pools one very large pool that spans almost the entire length of the resort and a smaller pool closer to the shops and gym. Both pools were immaculate. They were always clean and sparkling. We never had a problem finding any lounge chairs or cabana beds. Every now and then I would see a staff person walking by asking if we needed anything or wanted anything,but I would've like to see a few more service personnel in the pool areas. At night the pools were illuminated in different colors adding a very luxurious and pleasant feel.

Activities:
There are a huge range of activities that the resort offers. Often times during the day we saw people playing volleyball, bingo, and etc. The gym was very clean, sleek and up to date. One thing that I really thought was awesome was the fact that each individual receives a free horseback riding activity during their stay. We really enjoyed the nightly entertainment as well. Each night the resort performs a different show in the theater in the center of the main area of the resort. While we didn't go to every show, we did attend 4 out of the 7 that they offered. The resort does a good job of keeping everyone entertained and having a good time. They also have a board near the Toscana restaurant that has a list of the activities for each day. The also have an area on the resort were different travel agencies are stationed and they offer different excursions and tours. We did the buggie tour and really enjoyed it.

FOOD:
Overall I must say that the food to me was good (and a few times great). I have been to another all inclusive resort in the Dominican that was more expensive and has more stars and the food selection wasn't nearly as good as the food at Excellence Punta Cana. Each restaurant had a decent range of options and selections (more exotic items such as duck, Mahi Mahi and lamb to regular items like chicken, beef and sea food). By far the best Restaurant for dinner to me was the French restaurant Chez Isabelle. I would say the Flavor Market came in a close second and the Asian themed restaurant Spice was 3rd. Breakfast was always delicious at Toscana and there was always large selection of items every morning at the buffet. Another positive thing about Excellence was that reservations were never necessary to go to any restaurant. At the other all inclusive resorts I have been to making reservations for different restaurants each night became a huge pain in the butt. It was very enjoyable to eat at one place and then get up and go to a different restaurant 20 minutes later. We often ate lunch at The Grill or Las Olas, which both had a good selection of items as well.

Beach:
The beach was amazing. Has down it was one of the best beaches I have ever been to. While I must note that most of the time the waves were a little too rough for swimming, the view and location was beautiful. The water was a wonderful Caribbean turquoise. Not to mention that the Excellence beach was a private beach, so we didn't have to deal with vendors harassing us trying to make a sale or anything like that (the are vendors at the very end of the resort beach for those who would like to buy souvenirs and such) . The beach also had a couple sand bars further out into the ocean off the beach where you could stand on the sand bar and watch fish swim by.

Conclusion:Overall we had a very enjoyable time on our vacation at Excellence Punta Cana. And while there are things that the resort does need to address and work on, the service was great and I would love to have the opportunity to visit this resort again in the future. And I would recommend it to other couples as well.

P.S. We really enjoyed Christian who was our waiter/server during breakfast many times at Toscana and at Spice at night time for dinner. He always kept a smile on his face and went out of his way to make sure we were taken care of.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
20 Thank D H
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Punta Cana with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

We had a wonderful time. The pools were cold, should have been heated. The weather was overcast, but very pleasant. If the pools had been warmer it would have been perfection. The room was beautiful, the food was great. There was a lot to do, but if you wanted quiet, there was plenty of that too!

Room Tip: Stay away from around building 9, there is construction going on. In building 7 we didn't even n...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Erica G
Heber Springs, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

We just returned yesterday from 7 days at the Excellence. We were definitely not wanting to leave. The last day was so sad knowing it was going to be our last. We were already saying, okay next time, we will stay 10 days..
AIRPORT and TRANSPORTATION:We were in the airport maybe a total of 30 minutes by the time we arrived and were in our transportation. It was so quick and easy. We had already purchased our tourist card via the internet and just bypassed the long line. We quickly went through customs, collected our bag and went to find our transportation. We used Dominican Quest. I highly recommend them. It was a private transportation. The vehicle was clean and the AC was cool. We had 2 cold Presidente beers waiting for us. The driver was very polite and was like a tour guide on the ride to the resort. With the new road, the drive is so much better and quicker. The Dominican Quest manager called the drivers cell phone and asked to speak to us and we were on our way to make sure we were happy with the service and if we needed anything else. Also confirmed the day and time we were being picked up on. I received an email before our trip to confirm and I also received an email the day before we were to come back home to confirm our departure trip. They were a superb service.
ROOMS: This was our 3rd visit here so we knew what area we wanted. The first visit we had a ground floor/ garden view. The second visit, they were welcome back we gave you an upgrade. The upgrade was on the 3rd floor. ( Their second floor... ground, 1st, 2nd ). The ceilings are high on the 3rd floor and heat goes up.. The AC couldn't keep up and I felt very unconfortable at night. This time emailed the resort and requested a ground floor. I like to stay in building 14. Most people don't because it is the farthest from the main lobby area and restaurants. But really anything isn't that far. We needed the walk for the extra weight we were putting on. Building 14 was very quite. Our room as some reported had some minor areas that could use attention. But seriously, are you coming to this resort to stay in your room and nit pick minor cosmetic things that really doesn't effect your stay. We were only in the room to sleep and shower. The AC was a killer. I was shivering it was so cold. The room was a little musty but being there previously I brought all my tricks. Damp Rid, dryer sheets ( Put in blower vent), a small round air freshener. If you do not want musty, then don't go on a Caribbean vacation. I didn't bring shampoo or conditioner, the resort furnished them and they were adequate. We had plenty of towels. They have made some changes since our stay before, as some reviewers were talking about ( the window in the shower). It is a window they you can see the person from the waist up. It was not big deal. If I was there with a girl friend instead of my husband it still wouldn't have been a big deal. I'm sure she wouldn't sit on the bed and stare at me. By the time you fog up the bathroom you can't see anyway. The bed was some on the hard side, but it didn't keep me from sleeping. The mini bar was kept full. There was coke, diet coke, sprite, orange, club soda, beer.. and the hard liquor. The maid made a different towel animal scenario every day. It was fun to see what she did.
GROUNDS: The grounds are beautifully kept. The workers are always cleaning up, repairing and maintaining. Watching them climb the trees to trim some leaves was interesting. The layout is good and easily to get around and see things.
FOOD: No this isn't the very best food in the world, but there was no reason a person would say they were starving and couldn't find anything to eat. I did have a couple meals that I chose the wrong dish, but my husband enjoyed his very much. For Breakfast we ate everyday but one at the buffet. We would get fresh omelets made. ( just put whatever you want in it on a plate and hand it to the cook). There was fresh fruit, a buffet of a variety of foods, pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, cereal, pastries, etc.. We ate one morning at the Lobster House. it was good, but I prefer the buffet restaurant. For lunch we only ate at the beach café. They had a theme everyday. But you could always get pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos and French fries. Some days were ribs,fish, tacos... You were right there on the beach, so you have an awesome view. Sometimes we ate there and sometimes we took it back to our pool chair. Dinner we tried to eat and the ones we didn't eat at our last visit. I didn't care for the Lobster House or Barcelona. But my husband really enjoyed the Barcelona. Spice is my favorite. We also liked Chez Isabelle and The Flavor Market. We never ordered room service. There were 2 themed nightly dinners. One on the beach and one by the pool. All were buffet type meals and the food was good. They really set up the tables and buffet area nicely.
BARS: There are bars everywhere you go. There is a pool bar, 1 bar by the main pool, a bar at the end of the lazy river, 2 inside, one by the cascade pool, one in the sports area and one by the water sports rental. I just happened on this on the last day so I might have missed some more.The drinks were strong. Very Strong. I'm not much a drinker, so to some they probably was not. The drink of the day was always a little sweet for me, but some were good. I found the Bahama Mama as my favorite fruity drink, and the Mudslide was yummy ( it was like homemade crank icecream with chocolate syrup).. a dessert drink.
POOL: We stayed only at the Main pool. But the pool goes all the way to the end of the resort. Some parts are quiter than others. We never went to the cascade pool. I walked through there one day and it was very quite. We stayed at the Main Pool because we enjoyed participating in the pool games with the entertainment team. The waitress Altagarcia at the main pool, is the best waitress ever.Once she knew what you were drinking, they were by your side before you could ask for another. She was very funny and friendly and made an effort to keep you happy. She has been there for 13 years and she is VERY good!! In the afternoon they would come by and offer you a pizza. Yes, some beds got took up fast, but not super fast. We stayed in regular chairs under a Palapa. If I wanted direct sun I would get in the water or pull my chair out from the shade. If you were out there by10 am you normally could get a chair easily. Yes, some people do hog the floaties. It clearly states in the daily bulletin they give you to leave floaties in the pool. People just want to keep them by their sides when they get out of the water. I did see someone refuse to give their's up.. I almost went and grabbed it myself for them. I did see the pool concierge once put the floaties in the water that some were hogging. ( for newcomers)The floaties are put in the pool around 9 or 9:30 at the far end of the pool. So, you must go get them if you want a floatie for to use in the main pool area in the morning.
POOL GAMES AND ENTERTAINMENT STAFF: We tried to participate in all the games. There was always pool volleyball going on. The staff come out at 10 am to start the games. Don't worry they will not force you to join in. If you just want peace, just say no thank you and they will move on. They staff are the most amazing people. Julio, Luz, Kassandra, Deya, Iseal, Jhonatan, Annie... We so loved them all. After the first day, they would always greet you by your name. They remembered all the names. Their personalities were awesome. They absolutely make your vacation!!! We played throwing the darts at balloons, playing like a toss a cross type game, bingo ( you can stay in the pool) diving for dominoes, water aerobics, texas holdem, bracelet making, dancing lessons, Spanish lessons and several other games. Winner gets a prize. Don't be shy and afraid to join in. You will meet so many people.. Again, the Entertainment teams was unbelievable. I felt like they were my best friends when I left. We shared stories about our lives and kids.
NIGHTLY SHOWS: All the shows are fabulous. We had seen most of them on our previous visits so we didn't make it to them all. They start at 9:30 and after a day in the sun and drink, I was exhausted and ready for bed. I am not much of a night person. I felt bad because I wanted to meet up with some of the guests I met at the pool but what can I say, I'm a light weight. Next time, energy drinks!! Julio starts the shows and he is magnificent . He is so energetic and full of enthusiasm. We really enjoy him. Didn't go to the disco, again, because I was asleep. But we have gone there on previous visits and it is usually a pretty fun place.
ACTIVITIES: We didn't do any excursions. I might have done the bike ride, but I only brought sandals.. and I'm a little out of shape.. My husband got a boogie board from the water sports stand. You just give them your room number and you get it for 1 hour. According to him, that is all you need it for. The waves are a work out. We did go to the sports bar. There we played ping pong and putt putt golf. There is pool, air hockey, darts, etc... This bar has popcorn and Ice Cream!!!! Worth a trip in the afternoon out of the sun.
BEACH: The beach is beautiful. It is not trashy.. They keep it maintained. I loved sitting watching and listening to the waves. They waves are rough. There are showers all along the beach as you exit the area to wash off the sand.
MOSQUITOS AND SAND FLEAS: We had no problems with bugs. But we did see several people that were eat up. One couple was not prepared and had to but expensive bug spray at the resort. COME PREPARED!! I think they said it was the sand fleas that got them. We didn't go to the beach at night so we didn't experience that. Every night I would rub my Avon Skin so Soft mosquito repellent lotion on my legs and arms before we went out. My husband used the deet.
Fitness Center: We did not go to the fitness center. I did go on my last visit and it was well air conditioned and plenty equipment.
TIPPING: We tipped at the pool when we were brought drinks. It is not required, but she deserved it. I would leave $ 3 dollars for the maid with candy and stuff. Usually $ 1 or $ 2 in the mini bar and $ 1 for turn down service. We would generally tip around $ 5 at dinner, again, it is not expected. They don't wait around for a tip.
Guests: You make so many friends. I am not much of a talker but my husband chatted it up with several people during his volleyball games. It is fun to see where everyone is from and their stories. SO many honeymooners.. Lots of weddings were going on. The ages are from young adult to 80. All blend well together and make great conversations.
We met The Texas Haglers who we had communicated with on the forum before our trip. Sherri and Kent we sure missed you when you left. You missed the beer drinking competition by the pool! Next time we will have to be nightly show buddies, not just pool buddies!!
Again, the Excellence is Excellent!! Don't be afraid of the negative reviews.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank RobNita
It is our pleasure to know that Excellence Punta Cana have met your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to our resort facilities and atmosphere, the food & drinks quality encountered, evening entertainment, and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.
Durham, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

The Good:

The beach is definitely a plus! The sand was kept clean and groomed daily. Plenty of space and we didn’t feel crowded, but we did go during off season.
The pool was also a nice treat. Plenty of room to find a spot to hang out, although there never seemed to be enough pool rafts. There was a nice area for pool volley ball along with multiple places for shade and sun as well as different depths. The pool does not get deeper than about 5 feet.

Our room was part of the excellence club level (room 10005), we chose ocean view and were not disappointed. The view was partial obstructed by greenery, but definitely an awesome view. We had a large room with in room Jacuzzi, bar, fridge (sodas, beers, water), two person sink, decent shower and toilet room, but the best part was definitely the two large sliding glass doors that really allowed the light and breeze through! Then there was the deck, it wrapped around the corner of the room and connected the two sliding doors. Outside was a table with two chairs (nice for room service breakfast in the morning) and a bed (A nice place to take a nap or just lay out). The deck had a stairway down to the pool, so while not technically a swim up room, it was better than a swim up.

Once in the resort we didn’t have to worry about anything. Food was always available in some fashion somewhere.

The Bad:

We always had to search out for service. Even though there were people going around asking for drink orders, they were few and far between, especially on the beach. Then when you got to place an order, you were placing along with several other people. This meant that it took a very long time to get your order; not a good thing for frozen drinks. They definitely dropped the ball of the service side of things.

The food was average at best. Never in the 7 days my wife and I were there did we ever look at each other and say, “that was a good meal!” We understand that American portions sizes are large compared to the rest of the world, but the portion sizes here were far below what one would even expect outside the US. Having traveled around the world we were shocked at how small some of the dishes were, but this wasn’t so much the issue as was the mediocrity of the dishes.

They say you can choose the liquor in your room, and while that is true, you start with a random selection and can only change one bottle out each day. That means the first day we were there, my wife and I couldn’t both enjoy a drink in our room in the evening because we needed one more day to get two bottles changed out. I understand that they don’t want you opening four bottles a day and switching all four out each day, but we couldn’t switch two bottles on our first day?

We wished that the shower would have been a little bit larger. The door opened into the shower which gave very little room to maneuver inside while opening and closing the door. Also, the shower room windows didn’t have any frosting or curtains on them. While there was a tree outside, there certainly was the possibility of a breach in privacy.

Some nights the music at some events was loud enough to disturb sleep in rooms on nearly the other side of the resort. And most of the shows were not even worth watching. Nothing exciting through the week, one show was just music videos played on the projector while people danced on the stage. Would have preferred live music in Spanish than music videos. The circus show is over hyped, but it was at least entertaining.

Overall:

For the price point it was a good way to get to beautiful beaches, enjoy some time at the pool and enjoy the weather and sun. The all inclusive part was fantastic for not having to worry about money, but I feel that because of that the service and food quality suffered.

I think this place is better suited overall for drinking and swimming, everything else is secondary and suffers. I would suggest it to a group of college students going on spring break, but not for a romantic get away.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are larger and nicer. They are worth the extra money. Excellence Club rooms are q...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kyle919
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is our regret that we were not able to exceed your expectations, although many travelers find Excellence Punta Cana to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service.

We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

Your comments are very important to us because give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve. Please rest assured that all the info you have raised have been addressed and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.

We truly hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.