“Would Go Back Today If I Could”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed May 16, 2014

This was our first time to the Dominican Republic and our first all-inclusive. We choose this resort due to it being an adult-only and also the deal for the week that was going on. I have to admit it was worth every penny (and very affordable)!!
The resort is one of the further ones away from the airport, so the drive was a little longer than expected but it was nice because the resort had it's own beach compared to other all-inclusives that share a beach with several other resorts.
Every single employee who helped us, greeted us with a smile and were very friendly. It made you feel instantly welcomed. The room was very clean, very spacious. I will admit the window in the shower was kind of odd but didn't affect either one of us on the trip.
The pools are amazing, they have one really large pool that wraps around the resort and has a swim-up bar (which turned out to be our favorite spot on the resort). There's another pool called cascade pool, smaller pool but gorgeous with a waterfall in the middle of it.
There's plenty of options for dinner, limited restaurants were open for breakfast and lunch, however one is a buffet so you can find whatever you were in the mood for (also room service is all day/night). Around 1-2pm, a waiter came around the pool with pizza's from one of the restaurants, so really never had to leave the pool/beach if you didn't want to. I would say Spice & Oregano were my 2 favorite restaurants that we ate at, (I think we missed 3 of them though, mainly due to time constraints). As for drink recommendations, the banana mama & the coco loco (served in a real coconut) were very very good!
They have nightly entertainment as well as a disco/dance bar. My one recommendation if you plan to be outside at night, bring bug spray! They do have a mini-market where you can buy anything you forget, which we used for the bug spray
Also you must try out the spa, we did a hydrotherapy experience that was amazing!

I would highly recommend Excellence to others who are looking for a wonderful, relaxing all-inclusive resort!

Room Tip: I would probably spend my money on getting a room with a hammock that is pool side in buildings 600...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank BPed
Write a ReviewReviews (13,393)

Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed at Excellence Punta Cana for 10 nights at the end of March-beginning of April. This is my third trip to Dominican Republic and the worst one. I doubt we will be back.
First time I visited DR in 2009. I always knew that the country is pretty poor and people do not have much, so I did not expect much. However, our stay in RIU Palace Punta Cana was pleasant and I was surprised how much people can do with a little they have. I went back and at that time we stayed at Grand Bahia Punta Cana (adults only!). Again, there was nothing we did not like about this resort or our stay over all.
This time at Excellence was very different. I have to admit that the hotel's area is a well-kept and they even have a beautiful jogging trail where the runners can see flamingos and parrots. The rooms are clean and spacious enough to even fit 3 people not only a couple. The only negative thing I can say about a room is there is no wall that separates the bathroom and the room itself. There is a tinted window instead, which means if you or your partner uses the bathroom in the middle of the night, you would wake up too because of the bright bathroom's light.
I also have to admit that they have a very good selection of alcoholic drinks and they are pretty strong. I would say the drinks at Excellence are the strongest I ever had in all-inclusive resorts.
Now about what we did not like and this is the reason why we won’t be back in Excellence and perhaps in DR at all. FOOD! It was horrible! Somehow you can eat something for breakfast (except over burned waffles and pancakes that are prepared from the same mix!) Lunch was always hit or miss, mostly miss. Dinners are absolutely un-eatable. I do not cook and honestly, I think i can make a better mash potato (how can you screw up as simple thing as a mash potato?).
One night during the dinner i totally lost it (we were dinning at Toscana-the worst dinner place in that resort). After they bring us what they called “steak tartar” that i have to spit (honestly, i have never spit any food before) but i just could not make myself to chew and swallow the pieces of raw fat!), I called the manager who was passing by. His name is Arturo Villaescusa and simply asked him what he thought about the food. He said the phrase that every worker of this hotel is trained to say: “excellente”, which made me laugh. I wonder: how can you feed “this” (cannot even call it food) to people, clamming that Excellence is a luxury resort? I also mentioned that this is not my first trip in DR and maybe they should go to Bahia and see what kinds of food is served there and take a training with the Bahia’s chef. He had nothing to say to me except that I should go and stay in Bahia instead! Hmm, i am a customer in your hotel and you telling me this! I also demanded to tell me 3 reasons why Excellence is a luxury hotel, which should be a simple question considering that Arturo is a Sub Director Manager. He simply looked confused and did not know what to say!
Honestly, we booked this trip 3 months in advance and at that time i did not find any negative reviews. Just do your math: we paid $1,200 per person (it was 3 of us) and it includes all horrible food, strong drinks, transfer to the hotel from the airport and back, airfare from Boston! I have to admit that we had a good deal comparing to other people but still no one can return us 10 days of lost vacation and over all negative experience! SO BE AWARE WHEN YOU BUY YOUR TRIP TO EXCELLCENCE!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
21  Thank Lynn01902
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Thank you for having chosen Excellence Punta Cana as your holiday destination and for taking the time to share this review with us.

We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

Your comments are very important to us because give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve. Please rest assured that all the info you have raised have been addressed and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.

Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed here for a week for our honeymoon and we cannot wait to go back! Everyone was so nice and willing to help at any moment! We ate at 6 out of the 8 restaurants and they were all amazing! The shows at night after dinner were entertaining as well. We highly recommend this resort if you are looking to relax and unwind!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Yesenia G
Reviewed May 14, 2014

The food so far out of the all inclusive resorts we have been to. The swim up bar was great and the crema de coco came in real coconuts. Prior to arriving we had upgraded to a swim up room but the swim up bar is not located at the same pool as those rooms, so we do not recommend the upgrade. Unlike other resorts where you have to upgrade to the club for adults-only, the entire resort is adults only and after speaking with other people that had the upgrade, they decided that it was not worth the price difference. The beach areas for club and non-club are almost exact except for the cabanas but there is great drink service at either. We would go back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Steve T
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed for a week in Feb. Of course, we were pampered and spoiled! The beach was so beautiful. We spent most days there. The rooms were wonderful and clean. Maid service and refrigerater service was prompt. Every employee had a smile every day. Made for a great, relaxing trip.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Judi B
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This was our second time at this resort. We once again had an excellent vacation!!! The resort is absolutely beautiful. Horseback riding on the beach is an included activity. The staff is extremely friendly. Food is excellent. We especially enjoyed Chez Isabelle, Agave and the Grill. Kassandra did an outstanding job with entertainment at the main pool. She has a beautiful smile, has lots of positive energy and got to know everyone by name. She truly made us feel like very special guests!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
6  Thank Excellentguests
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Excellence Punta Cana is like something from a wild fantasy come to life. The beach was breathtaking, the grounds were well-maintained, and the accommodations were stellar. It didn't rain a single day during our 7 day trip. "Magic Miguel" who met us as soon as we arrived was courteous, funny, and very helpful. He not only conducted all of our luggage safely to our rooms, he told us helpful tips and pointed out each of the amenities we passed. Everyone greeted us with Hola or Hello and was very kind. Every single staff member I met spoke enough English to greet me and ask me how my day was or where I was from. (Including the happy landscaping men cleaning the ponds) The food was very good at each of the restaurants including the buffet (but be warned that all the ethnic foods had a slightly Dominican twist) All the bar tenders are spot on, I only received one drink wrong (I think that one was a waiter misunderstanding) and the bars were conveniently located on the property. The pool and jacuzzi were clean and not overly chemicaled, the patio clean.
We had such a good time we are going to go back! A word to the wise, if you're pregnant do not tell them, or they will not let you go on excursions. My cousin is pregnant and they laughed and told us we had it backwards, in the Dominican women can drink all they want while pregnant, they just aren't allowed to do anything.

Room Tip: We stayed in a "mountain or garden view" room. We were on the ground floor and had a beau...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple