“Excellence is extremely hard to top”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed December 31, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from our 2nd visit to The Excellence Punta Cana. If possible we enjoyed our trip even more the 2nd time around. The weather was great, a few small 10 minute rain showers, but was bright and sunny the rest of the time. Once again the staff was all very helpful and excellent in every way, a shout out to Jose at the martini bar, we just love him, you have to try the espresso martini, its to die for, actually all the drinks in the resort are very good, the bartenders are outstanding. The food was once again very good, didnt have a meal we didnt enjoy. Love the grill for lunch, the caesar salad with shrimp was the best, ate that almost every day. Best buffet I have encountered anywhere in the tropics is Toscana, something for everyone. Nightly shows are really good, and also a shout ot to Sonia, the best cocktail waitress around the resort, she works all the bars in the lobby and outside at Cafe Kafe, she also works in the Excellence club in the afternoons, such a sweet girl. We absolutely love the excellence punta cana and cant wait to return again next year. The only thing is that going to other resorts now pales in comparison, nothing is as good as here. we call it "the best place on earth" See you again next year

Room Tip: we like the swimup rooms but quieter rooms are garden view
6  Thank Duneandjerry
Write a ReviewReviews (13,667)

Reviewed December 31, 2013

had another fab holiday in june at this wonderful hotel just booked to return 2 july must admit this is our 4th time at this hotel and we already know that in july we will have a holiday to remember staff hotel and the resort are all first class really cant wait to come back thanks to all for making our holidays excellente

Room Tip: groud floor with the garden
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank siobhanjonessmyth67
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Excellence is one of the best all inclusive, all adult resorts we have visited. We just returned from 8 days of "excellence". The beach is beautiful and kept very clean by the resort staff. In fact, the entire resort (grounds, rooms, restaurants) are all incredibly clean. There is as much or as little as you want to do-my husband is always up for games and I am always lounging and reading. Although I know the resort was full during our stay it did not seem crowded at all. We didn't have to wait for dinner (except one night while they readied the table-5 minutes). The food is good. If you expect 5 star US food stay in the US. The food is good and presented very nicely. My husband and I enjoyed all the food we tried. My favorite lunch-The Grill: great grilled fish and really fresh beautiful salads. My favorite dinner was at the Barcelona. Great rib-eye. I usually prefer a walk out beachfront room, but this was a last minute booking and those options were not available. Our room was a garden view and on the third floor. It was lovely and I enjoyed the beautiful ceilings found on the third floor rooms. See picture. Our room was so quiet -I slept great every night. Do pay the extra for the club level rooms. We have done this at other resorts in the past and didn't think it was worth it, but at Excellence is certainly worth it. I really enjoyed the light snacks at the club and the employees there were a wealth of knowledge. The beds are firm but I like a firm mattress. We did ask for a feather cover and extra pillows-just a nice touch. My room tips: top floor and Excellence Club. The in-room mini bar is great and they will bring you any liquors you want if the selection is not what you like. See picture. Note: if you think your air conditioner is not working make sure that your patio and room door are securely closed. The air conditioner will not run if they are even slightly open. No worries about getting a lounge chair poolside or on the beach. There are plenty-even if you get out late in the afternoon. There were no bugs in our room at all. Yes. I got bug bites from walking on the beach. I always bring Off but I always get bug bites just like I do in Ohio in the summer. We had private transportation from and to the airport. It took us 35-40 minutes . Easy drive. Nice new highway. Make sure to visit the parrots and pink flamingos. They are amazing. The spa is one of the nicest I have visited and I always go to the spa at whatever resort we go to. This spa was amazingly beautiful and I had the best facial. If you can ask for Oscar he is amazing and wonderful. Omar took great care of us poolside-alwasy stoping to see if we needed anything. Salomon and Loraine in the grill were always wonderful. A note to human resources: I wish I could name all of the people who made our trip so wonderful but it is impossible to remember everyone's name. Let's just say you have done an outstanding job in hiring as all those we interacted with made us feel like very special and valued visitors. Don't hesitate to book this resort. We have been to Sandals and Secrets and thought they were great but this resort is a step above. Please feel free to email me with questions.

Room Tip: Again, the third floor rooms have high ceilings that I loved. I don't think you could have a bad...
8  Thank ScribCincinnati
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband and I went to Excellence, PC and I can honestly say that it was the best vacation EVER! We celebrated our one year anniversary during our vacation and the resort staff and restaurant made it not only a night to remember but a WEEK to remember. Their attention to detail and sincere commitment to making sure we enjoyed ourselves was incredible. Everyone is soo friendly and the service is impeccable. During the daytime, the resort offers many different activities for those interested guests but also accommodates guests looking for more rest and relaxation. The different shows every night were all so much fun and the circus act was especially amazing. We cannot wait to go back to our fantasy vacation destination at Excellence Resort in Punta Cana! P.S. Omar at the swim-up bar is the best bartender.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in building 1-9. Building 14 made for quite a hike to the main resort areas so tha...
2  Thank doledolo
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My family was in Punta Cana for our daughter's dream destination wedding over Christmas, and this hotel, its AMAZING manager, staff, planned events, music, shows, respect towards ALL ( even an AWFUL, snotty, complaining exercise class attendee) was the most REMARKABLE experience in travel that we have ever had!!!! Will we go back??? You're DAMN right, we will! People over and above the call of duty...by miles... are: ROBERTO PUELLO, manager; Wander, fitness teacher and trainer; Smiley, jack of all trades; and KASSANDRA baby, best special activities instructor and friendly lady ever!!!! Great trip!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Laurie C
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This place really lives up to its name, Excellence. The service is amazing, the food is gorgeous, the rooms astounding, the setting is perfect, there is nothing I would change about this hotel. All the rooms were full when we stayed, and it never appeared crowded. The room service is exceptional, without a doubt the best all inclusive deal I have ever had. The staff are friendly and extremely helpful. Our honeymoon there was tremendous, and we will be going again for an anniversary. We were told by other guests there that the Excellence in Mexico is better, I don't know how it could be!
The only downside is that the shops on site are vastly overpriced, but there are shops not too far away with much better prices, but you do have the haggling thing to do!

Room Tip: Don't pay for an upgrade, the only difference is the posts on the bed!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank oddity667
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Tucked away by itself in a little bay in the Uvero Alto beach area is one of the nicest 5 star resorts that we have stayed at in the Dominican Republic. Our stay was for 14 days from Dec. 8 to Dec. 22.

Starting at the Punta Cana airport, the transfer, via the newly finished highway, was just under 1 hour which included a drop off at another resort. We had upgraded to the “excellence club” and were whisked away to the club lounge upon arrival where we checked in and promptly taken to our room, bags and all. This is what we found in our experience over 14 days:

Rooms: We were in building 8. My understanding is that the resort is 13 years old, and although there were signs of that, the room had been kept maintained and upgraded. It had no musty odours or smells that you can sometimes encounter when entering a room in the Caribbean. The room was very well appointed with everything that you see online or on the website. It was one of the first resorts (out of 9) that we have experienced that the bedding, couch cushions, pillows, etc., didn’t have a musty smell. Not even a taint. And “everything” worked. These people also know how to stock a mini bar. Presidente, Presidente Light, Coors Light, 4-5 different types of pops, orange juice, V8 juice, white wine, peanuts, crackers, etc., etc., and if there is something else you would want, just ask & it’s done. There was also 4 bottles of liquor that you could swap out for your preference. The room was cleaned late morning consistently every day except for 2 when they were turning over customers. There were always fresh towels in the room, even while being cleaned. At night, the same, room was straightened up, towels refreshed and notes, chocolates & all that kind of stuff done. Nice touch Excellence. It would be nice to have a retractable clothes line (just a short one) on the balcony to hang wet suits, clothes, etc.

Food: Being a very subjective subject, I won’t dwell on it and just say that the food was great and on par with other 5 star resorts we have been to (5 total) in the D.R. There was every different type of food available and lots of it. There is no reason that a person shouldn’t be able to find something to satisfy them. Where Excellence did excel from other resorts was choice (9 restaurants) and service. The employee to guest ratio at this resort is fairly high and it showed in the service. Also, no reservations are required and we never had to wait for a table.

Bars: There is no reason to go thirsty with 11 bars. Everything I ordered (except 1 when I tried to order in Spanish because my Spanish is so bad :-) was spot on. I do like drinks strong and once a bartender new that, I never had to ask again. There was every type of premium liquor available. They also serve the drinks in nice full size hard plastic glasses on the beach & pool area, as opposed to the flimsy little Mickey Mouse throwaway glasses common in other resorts. There were plenty of servers and they always asked if you wanted something.

Resort/grounds: As was the case with the rooms, there are some areas showing age, but the resort is under a constant maintenance/upgrade program. I commend the management and the hard working employees in this area as I have seen resorts start out as a 5 star and slowly slip to 4+, 4, 3+, and then 3 in only a short 5-6 years. I believe Excellence is 13 yrs old, but are constantly working towards maintaining the 5 star status that it is.

Pools: Lots to choose from and they are kept very clean. The towel game does exist, but no need. We never had problems finding a place to sit. This resort really has it together with beach towels. No cards, no towel required to get one. The only time I saw them run short was when they had 3 rain showers in about a 2 hour span and the people doing the towel game thing got ripped.

Beach: The beach is very deep, wide, and soft sand, kept clean every day. It is brown sand, unlike the white sand of the Bavaro beaches further south, but every bit as nice. There are no resorts 20 -30 minutes’ walk each way. For those familiar with Bavaro Beach further south, staying here on Ulvero Alto will give you the experience of what Bavaro Beach was like in the mid to late 80’s, nothing but miles of coconut groves. However there is a caveat. The water was very rough and from what I was told, is rough all the time, so it might not be the best for people wanting to do a lot of water activities. I don’t know if it’s normal or not, but in 14 trips to the D.R. I have never seen the beach red flagged 14 days in a row, which it was this trip. Regardless, if you do prefer quieter water, you can walk the beach 5-10 minutes each way to the points in the bay and find it. As far as beach chairs/palapas, the resort was at approx.. 80% and we never had a problem finding one.

Bugs: Saw a mosquito in our room when we checked in. Never saw another one anywhere in 14 days. Never got bit by any sand fleas either, and we do long beach walks. A word of caution however, the resort fogs the perimeter around 5:00 p.m. and on for an hour or so and if you happen to hear & smell it, close your door to the balcony. It stinks. They should really consider changing the time that this is done as many people are out on their balconies at this time.

Entertainment: The shows were great & some shows were fantastic, but, the entertainment before and after the shows was equally as good. This we have found not necessarily to be the case in other resorts. The lobby and show areas are open air, which is really the ultimate in the Caribbean to feel that air rolling through; however, smoking is also allowed in these areas. 80% of the people who visit this resort do not smoke, but have to put up with the minority that do. The resort really should get with the program and eliminate smoking in these areas. In a climate like this, people can go outside to smoke with no hardship.

This resort is a smallish resort at 446 rooms with big resort amenities. We felt that the staff truly did want you to enjoy your stay and would do anything to make that happen. In one word…Excellente.

17  Thank thebunner