“Remote luxury Excellente”

Ranked #15 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Chattanooga, Tennessee
“Remote luxury Excellente”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

We picked excellence to celebrate our 30th anniversary. The resort was great, beautiful decor, great staff. We paid extra for the "Excellence Club" the staff was fantastic and very helpful with any request. The beach awesome, this is on the Atlantic side so ocean can be very rough. Cabanas where great, and beach service good. Food.. We did eat any of the buffets so I can't comment, but the restaurants where great! Limited menu but so etching for everyone. Good variety of restaurants. Only negative was the remote location 1 hr drive to anywhere, so you are a capture audience, shops are pricey, excursion we did diving and fishing sub-par for this level of a resort. Great trip to chill, eat, drink, and drink more...

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Scott-Nooga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,529)
  • Korean first
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

I've read glowing reviews about this resort's service and downright ugly reviews about the food. My husband and my experience was somewhere in the middle, but it could've been excellente with a few small tweaks.

Grounds: So, so pretty. Be sure to get out and explore. We didn't realize until the second day or so that the grounds extended so far in front of the lobby. Have fun feeding the birds and trying to get the parrots to say "Hola!" Both pools are gorgeous. Infinity cascade pool seems to be a bit quieter than the other pool.

Service: We didn't seem to make the same great connections with staff that some other reviewers made. Perhaps greater attention is paid to guests if you upgrade to Excellence Club. It was OK, though--we're not high-maintenance. Most staff members we encountered were friendly enough, some more accommodating than others. You can really tell who enjoys their job here. We were sure to tip the friendlier staff members--bring plenty of $1s! We did have some problems with finding pool towels. Pool concierge was often nowhere to be found and we went without towels by the infinity cascading pool because nobody was working the concierge desk and no clean towels were left for the taking. The bartender there seemed annoyed when we asked him where to get towels--not sure if he was bothered with us or the fact that attendant wasn't there to help us.

Rooms: Our room was 2nd floor, garden view, building 1. It was probably the most central building, so if you don't want to walk far during your stay then building 1 may be for you. The rooms were clean and pretty! I don't understand the concern with the window through the shower--this is clearly a couples-only resort so hopefully you aren't seeing anything here that you've never seen before. Our room did have a few technical problems--a floor lamp didn't work, the hairdryer blew a fuse (that maintenance was unable to fix--he instead told us to just use a different outlet when all we had to do was flip a switch on the fuse box after he left), and our DVD player was pretty screwed up. The mattress was on the hard side but not uncomfortable by any means. We slept well, except for one night when a few partiers got too comfortable in the common area nearest our balcony.

Food: Seriously, I don't see what all the complaints are about. The selection was great--if you didn't like something you ordered, you could always try a different dish. Nothing I had was better than my favorite dish in the states, but I always felt satisfied after eating. Our favorites were Spice and Chez Isabel. Lobster House dinner was pretty good. Toscana dinner was OK, maybe a bit disappointing. We really enjoyed Las Olas, the beach grill, for lunch. Again, nothing 5 star here--but it's beach food. Some days they even do cooking lessons--fun and entertaining. If you're looking for a foodie experience, all-inclusive anywhere, not just here, probably isn't for you. Our suggestion would be to have more Dominican dishes available. We really didn't feel like we got a feel for the local flavor via the menu options.

Drinks: Coco Locos (served in a coconut) are AWESOME and there is also a tasty drink served in a pineapple. Perfect beach drinks. Beware ordering a drink from the beach staff though--they get busy and aren't hasty in their return. We found it easier to just go to the bar and bring drinks back to our lounge chairs than to order from the waitstaff.

Ocean: So beautiful! I was at first a little bummed that the ocean was so choppy, since I thought DR was known for calm, turquoise waters. It turned out that this Atlantic-facing beach was a blast to play in. Red flags were constantly up and the lifeguard kept watch so we never felt unsafe.

Entertainment: The shows were fun. We really enjoyed the Michael Jackson show and the Circus was pretty good too. Our last night there was some kind of "American Show" with entertaining dancing. Live music was always playing during the dinner hour. My complaint with the music and entertainment overall was that we wished it had more of a Dominican flair. You've come to the DR--and we wanted to feel like we were in the DR, not America.

Airport: The new highway makes the further distance past Punta Cana up to Uvero Alto relatively fast--maybe 40 minutes. We really enjoyed trying to converse with our driver Ramon (set up by Excellence) and hear about the popular Dominican music, bachata. The airport itself is a bit of a mess--definitely plan for a MIN. of two hours when you're heading back home as it is seriously line after line here just to get through to your gate.

Overall, my husband and I found this resort to be really beautiful and we had a great time. We would go back for sure, and I've already recommended it to others. We've stayed at two Excellence resorts now and wouldn't hesitate to book through any of their others.

6 Thank DanaKC
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

We just returned from the Excellence PC on Dec. 7th 2013. We stayed for a week, so we had plenty of time to try most of the restaurants and we would say the food is decent. We liked the Asian, French and Mexican places the best. None of us had any stomach issues, which is very important to us. We have had problems at other places in Punta Cana that are rated higher than the Excellence and I know how much this can ruin a vacation!!! We loved all the bars and found the drinks to be good. Martinis were fun and I always ask for my favorite rum or vodka and after a few times the bartenders would remember what I liked. All the waitstaff were friendly and efficient around the pool, beach and restaurants. We met a lot of couples while we were there and enjoyed how everyone was so friendly and included us in their vacation fun. Dancing in the evening with the entertainment staff was fun and the band that plays before and after the shows were good! The shows are good, but we have been on enough of these AI trips and have seen most of it before. I think my favorite thing about this place is the pool. It is so big and long and we had no problem finding loungers with shade any time of day. Loved the pool!!!

We had a great time and would definitely go back, but yes the beds are hard. The food is not as hot on the buffets as it should be. They were doing a lot of construction work while we were there and a lot of the water features were drained, but I would think they should be done in a month or two. It usually didn't bother us too much. I would also say our standard room could have used a little updating. The curtains had holes in them and were off the track and hard to open. The bedding needs to be replaced too.

1 Thank twoforone
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

No All Inclusive resort is perfect, but Excellence Punta Cana scores extremely high on virtually every and any scale you can mention. Great choice of restaurants, rooms are large and clean, property is well laid out and not too big to get around easily. Food is above average for AI and if you get a bad meal, order something else. By far the best sand beach, nice and quiet and good access to restrooms and bars. OK nightly entertainment. New road from airport makes for an easy and smooth 35-40 minute trip. Staff are universally polite and helpful. Special note to Roberto Puello and all the front desk staff.
Overall, you will not find a better experience in the DR. For me, as a very experienced traveller, you can get a good feel for a resort by simply hanging around the reception desk for a bit and listen to all the complaining and whining from the guests over every stupid thing. At Excellence, you simply do not hear people complaining and in my experience the front desk staff bend over backwards to resolve a problem, not just read the policy book to you. So this place gets my best rating and I am already booked to return in January and March.

Room Tip: Birds can be noisy at night. Silicone ear plugs work great.
4 Thank doug2053
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Have just returned from Excellence Resort. On arrival after 19hrs travelling from Jersey UK, met with friendly staff Emily and Renaldo.
Room on 3rd floor, really clean and welcoming, all inclusive bar, always refilled.
Ate in several of the restaurants during our 2week visit. Loved the Italian, French and the Barcelona went to all several times, no exclusions as to number of times visiting each. No booking required in any restaurant as there was always room.
Breakfast every morning was very selective for choices-along with Champagne availability.
Staff were all very attentive from breakfast refills to the pool service. The work being done around the resort during our stay was very un-obtrusive- apart from the Sports Bar being shut for NFL matches on our last week. Ce la vie!!!!
Kassandra, around the pool entertainer was very good and friendly.
Gracia, pool refiller for drinks was excellante, she called me UK.
The Packers fans I met in the Sports Bar(Chris) for the Detroit game were fantastic and invited my wife and I to join them for dinner.....good luck to them all.
Beach was fantastic although, the Atlantic is a little rough for swimming.
Played golf at nearby Iberostar course (40min) drive, 240$ Including transport and club hire...little expensive!!!!!!
The evening shows were a little dated...Michael Jackson still going in Punta Cana!!!!!!
The whole resort was clean, the rooms were serviced and any problems arising were quickly dealt with.
The travel from airport to resort was an hour away going in private hire taxi-$70 each way.
Tipping isn't necessary, but, it helps to get better service!!
Mosquitos are a bloody pest, take your own products and the resort shops are expensive....and I'm no cheapsake.
The whole experience in the Excellence Resort was fantastic.....to return,,,,,the travelling was toooooo faaarrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John Carlow
Detroit fan( to all those Packers fans who I met during my stay

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JC1957
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

The establishment and resort was so elegant and clean. The staff's customer service skills were exceptional. Everyone was so warm and friendly. They made my husband and I feel very special. I was given two birthday cakes to celebrate my 70th birthday. One was placed in our room the other was presented to me at dinner. The food was excellent it melted in your mouth.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny.
1 Thank Kenneth A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

This was my 4th time returning to Excellence. My husband and I cannot get enough! The staff really make this resort home. Special thanks to Castellio from Oregano. He is one of the main reasons we return. The service and treatment is always above and beyond. I would also like to mention Rafael the pool guy. He is hands down the hardest worker I have ever seen! He is so thoughtful too, after it rained (my husband and I) stayed in the pool everything was soaked. When we got out Rafael ran us up a warm towel and covered each if us with it, just like family would do. I would also like to thank Rosanna, Jose Louis, Ampros, Olga, Jhonny, Santa and Miranna (pancake maker), and Jose Antonio. All if these people made our breakfast something to look forward to. The staff here are just fantastic! a big thank you to: Roberto, Brenda, Roxanne, Victor (mgr at Oregano - very hands on), Victor (bell boy), Rafael Di Costa, Libet, Edgar, Vidal, Jose (from the front gates), Jose (from the Martini Bar), Jhon, Mitas (front desk), Reynaldo (front desk), Radhames (from beach grill lunch restaurant), Juan (bell boy) and Domingo for his wonderful sax music. Aready looking into returning in March! This is the perfect resort for couples.

• Stayed December 2013