“Best hotel by far”

Ranked #18 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Kinmel Bay, United Kingdom
“Best hotel by far”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Are third time @ the excellence Punta Cana & this place still blows us away, it's simply amazing.
Location staff & food superb.
Returned to the hotel in November 2013 for our friends wedding, we all had an amazing time the staff our probably the most friendliest staff I have ever come across nothing is to much trouble there always there to help make sure your holiday is enjoyed to the full. We will defiantly be returning.

Room Tip: Fantastic place for weddings and honeymoons
3 Thank Lorraine L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,553)
  • Korean first
pennsylvania
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Sorry for the late review. We visited Excellence again September 9th till the 20th. We our still amazed at the service we receive. The staff has become our 2nd Famila. I would like to start off with a Big thank you to Linda Chief Concierge. She goes above and beyond her job, if you get a chance introduce yourself and tell her we said HI. The new Manager, who we got to talk to is the nicest gentleman beside Roberto. Who you can talk to and in all of their eyes nothing is impossible at Excellence. From the time we get off the bus till we leave we feel like we are at home. We had many surprises on or anniversary thanks to the management team and my husband. I cried as we where given a night in the Imperial suit, Gorgeous I felt like a princess for a night. I hear people complain about the language barrier, you are in their country have respect I do not speak Spanish but can get by with very little they are so happy to teach you as they like to learn English. Then I hear people complain about the food. Yea it is not Red Lobster or Olive Garden, but I am a very very picky eater and always find something to eat. The ,come on the all have been refurbished and we have been in every room as being there so many times. If the bed is hard they will gladly bring you another pillow top mattress. The ocean is rough but if you go down a little ways you can swim. We have come to know so many staff, and it feels good to feel like family. We will never go any where else. As Excellence does reward for repeat customers if they can. Management you will never see them hiding you see them walking around or if you need to you can ask to speak with one of them. Go to the managers cocktail party they will come around to every table land talk to you. So for us Excellence is a little piece of heaven and if you want quality service, good food and management that does not hide behind their doors. Excellence Punta Cana is the place to go. Please feel free to E-mail for any questions. See our famila in September, 2014

Room Tip: The honeymoon suits our very nice, they are my favorite. But no matter what room you are in you will...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lpnangel
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was our second time at an Excellence Resort, the first was our honeymoon in Riviera Maya. We wanted to try somewhere new, but also loved Excellence Riviera Maya so much we wanted to stick with the same resort. We had a great vacation, the hotel was really nice & clean and food was good. The only complaint I have was that there was construction going on during the week we were there and we heard LOUD drilling ALL DAY by the pool... hearing a construction site while I'm sitting by the pool trying to relax wasn't my idea of relaxing.. it seriously sounded like machine guns were going off all day! I never read anything on their website about construction going on. We were there Oct. 26 - Nov.4. If i would have known, I think we would have chosen another option.

Overall, we had a nice vacation, but I'd definitely recommend the other Excellence in Riviera Maya.

2 Thank Mel317
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time of sharing your experience with us.

Excellence Resorts is recognized for achieving superior quality in appearance and maintenance of our properties and facilities, just as many other attributes that enable us to provide the ultimate Luxury All-Inclusive experience. We deeply regret the discommode caused by the maintenance since our main priority will remain as always on fulfilling the upgrading, while pursuing little or none inconveniences to our guests.
Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.

We are looking forward to having you as our guests again and make every effort to exceed your expectations.
Westwood, New Jersey
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We had an excellent time at Excellence Punta Cana! We spent six wonderful days at the resort and there were plenty of activities to keep us entertained. The daily Water Aerobics was a great way to start the day. The food was delicious!!! We especially enjoyed The Lobster House. And the service was EXCELLENTE!!! We are already planning our next trip back.

1 Thank MrMrsKing2
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed December 3, 2013

First of all the staff was amazing!!! Loved being able to order room service whenever we wanted and bottle service was pretty awesome as we'll. 40 minutes from airport was a little annoying but the drive there was beautiful. Bring your own suntan lotion ($30 here) and medication for emergencies. Also bring a raft for the pool they tend to be used up and the ones at the store are pricey. Only a few negatives, some of the restaurants require pants men don't forget to pack them. Another is the nightlife they only have one show and a small "club", wish they had maybe one more show around midnight like a comedian or something but I guess its a honeymoon spot so they assume you take it easy. This resort is technically in uvero alto not punta Cana. On the peak of the island where the resort is located is half Atlantic/Half Caribbean water so it tends to be quite rough & not as blue as in punta Cana. Great couple resort overall. Foods pretty good you won't be stuck eating buffets everyday (9 different restaurants) and all the fresh coconut water right out of the coconut you want, yum!
Loved the all day safari excursion it was well worth the money, all drinks you want included, traditional lunch, and you see so much of the beautiful mountain side.

Room Tip: Over on the right side of the resort, rooms labeled 1-5 (see map on excellence website) is much quie...
3 Thank Allessandra1
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This resort is definitely Excellent. This was our fourth time to Dominican Republic and our first time to this resort. We are in property management as a profession so any criticism throughout this review is only because we are taught to see everything. It was a pleasure to stay here and we had a great time.

Getting there-
They just opened a new highway which makes the journey about 40 min with no stops. Taxi fare is $70 to two Group transfer is $50 for two.

Rooms-
The rooms are very large. They had a nice large jacuzzi tub, separate shower (with window), and double sink. The beds are very hard. They have a pillow top that you can have put on. I recommend you get two if you like it soft. The pillows are not great. If you are particular I would bring your own. The room comes with a lot of toiletries:
Toothbrush
Toothpaste (Colgate)
Shampoo (smells good)
Conditioner (not good enough for long hair)
Shower gel
Q-tips and cotton balls
Shower cap
Sewing kit
Comb
There is also a hair dryer, iron, and ironing board in the room.
We were in building 4 close to the sports bar. We were on the bottom floor and the room had a hammock off the patio. It looked like all units on the property that were on ground level had a hammock. There are some good reading lights next to the bed. Housekeeping and drink man like to visit the room between 5-7pm which was inconvenient when you were getting ready for dinner. We didn't have a do not disturb card or anything so we felt like they were going to enter if we didn't respond quick enough.

Beach-
The beach was covered in Palm trees and was very beautiful!!!! The sand is nice and soft with no rocks. There were plenty of chairs and palapas to sit under. The water is very rough and the lifeguard is actively watching people. The undertoe is very strong. It's fun to body surf but not calm enough to relax on a floatie. The beach is very big and you can walk up and down for miles. If you prefer privacy you are able to walk down the beach aways and get that.

Food-
You do not have to make reservations at this resort which was a bonus for us. The food in our opinion was ok. I have been to several resorts where the food was better. I was expecting it to be excellent since so any other things were, but it wasn't. I didn't find a single dessert that was good. We are from the south and like good food and didn't find that here. :((
It wasn't gross but nothing that we had was amazing. Out if all the restaurants we found Agave (Mexican) to be the best. They had a couple of restaurants closed for renovation but even with those closed we didn't have to wait long or at all to eat. Our glasses were never empty more than 5 seconds if even at all. The dress code for men is just long pants (jeans are fine). My husband wore nice sandals and that was fine.

Staff
The staff was fantastic. Very friendly and accommodating. From the housekeeping, to activities to food staff, it was all done with excellence. I had a latex allergy (which includes banana, avocado, mango, and kiwi) and they all remembered and made sure that all my food and drinks were free of those things. They even washed the blender out extra well before making my drink. The staff from what I heard lives on property for 12 days and then has a 3 day break. They work crazy long hours and always had a smile. The management was very attentive and present. From the outside looking in it looks very well managed.

Pool and Jacuzzi area
The pool is very nice and clean. The pools close at 6pm which I thought was very strange. We are at the beach all day and like to swim in pool at night, not at this resort. Not many floaties. You might want to bring your own. They are currently building a large jacuzzi area. It looks about a 1/3 of the way complete. The one they have currently is a super small one you would have at your house.

Entertainment
The shows at night were good. The Michael Jackson show was the most fun that we saw. There is a band that plays before the show and after the show and we thought they were very good. You could dance close to where the band was playing. If you wanted to wait until 11 you could dance at the disco. The DJ at the disco was bad. The disco was not crowded any night we were there and it is kinda secluded from main area so I think people kinda forgot about it. .There didn't seem to be fun things to do at night. There was not much to do between 6-9:30. The pool is closed and it's dark on beach.

Spa
We didn't use the spa but the prices were expensive. Usually resorts give 5 min demos in the lobby or in the beach to promote the spa. This resort didn't do that so I almost forgot they had a spa. I think if I would have been tempted with a demo I might have splurged.

Activities
There were LOTS of activities to do at the property.
Archery, bike riding, tennis, basketball, pool, fooseball, ping pong, beach volleyball, pool volleyball, nature walk through gardens, miniature golf, fitness trail, darts, dance lessons, and many many more. None of them were ever pushed on us but they were available if you wanted to do them.

Attire/ other guests
We found that the majority of the guests were over 40. There were some other young couples but not many. Some people dressed up at night but not usually fancier than a sundress. I dress up when we go on adult only trips and kinda felt out of place because it was not the norm. Very few people even in heels. Other resorts we have been to in Punta Cana had topless women on the beach. This resort had ZERO, so if that's your thing, not here.

Grounds
The vegetation is very well maintained. The walkways by the beach are very uneven. The clay tiles are eroding. Warning if you are walking in heels. It's hard not to fall over. I think they are slowly changing them but for the moment they are not cool.

• Stayed December 2013
8 Thank Melreneehayes
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Punta Cana with all Trip Advisor Readers.

We are pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I cannot say enough about how great our Trip was. This was our very first Vacation together and there were very few things that could have made it better.

SERVICE: Very good service for the most part. This is one of the few areas that could have improved slightly. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner were very good. I would have to say the only thing to improve on was the room service and the amount of bartenders. Room Service speed we didn't care about but more the heat of the food. Anytime we got room service the food seemed to be just warm and not hot. As for the bartenders, it was hit or miss. Some of them "like Jose" at the martini bar were AWESOME!! But there were some by the swim up pool bar that lacked enthusiasm. Also, the swim up bar usually had the longest wait times for a drink because of the amount of people there. Probably could have used 1 more person helping out. Overall I give service 4 stars.

Value:
I will give value 5 stars. This was our first vacation together so it is hard to base that on really anything. For 6 nights and airfare we paid roughly $3500 or so for everything so it seemed fine to me. Next year when we do our next vacation I will know more about the value. I guess if you have $3500 to spend on a vacation, this was WELL worth it.

Sleep Quality:
Another area they could improve on. If you like a very very soft bed, you will be disappointed. But, we asked for a pillow-top and that seemed to help. I give it 4 stars but it depends on what type of bed you like. But I slept like a baby. Or maybe we will say a drunk baby most of the time so I didn't really care. The nights I wasn't plowed I noticed it but, lets face it.....we went to get drunk and be on vacation so I didn't care.

Cleanliness:
No complaints here. I don't remember having any issues with this. Staff was there cleaning everyday. Very Very nice staff. They kept everything clean.

Location:
Awesome!! I couldn't ask for anything else. We had never been to the Caribbean before and we loved this spot. Great Beach, Great waves. I love rough waves and they kicked my butt everyday. it wouldn't be fun without that!

Rooms: Rooms were great. I love the window in the shower :) We didn't spend a whole lot of time in there though. 5 Stars. oh and 2 words.......MINI BAR!!!!!! Ask for whatever liquor you want. They will bring it right away.

Beverage selection: I loved it. At home I drink Bud light. When we were there we weren't expecting to have domestic beer anyway. Presidente was good though. If you get heart burn easily, bring something for that. They would make anything you wanted. How could this be bad???

Food:
Again my only complaints were the room service food. Other than that we had no issues. Wonderful tastes. Also, don't go expecting to get american comfort food. You left the US for a reason. Eat something different. 4 stars just due to the room service.

Last, I would like to recommend Andrea Kurschinski from Travel and Transport for an agent. She worked with us and answered any questions we had. When the airline changed our flight she was able to re-book with a different airline and save us $500. Awesome job!! To get ahold of her, her email was akurschinski@travelandtransport.com.

We didn't buy the excellence club. We met some awesome people there that bought it but we didn't see much of an upgrade. Just personal choice.

Room Tip: Junior Swim up suite!!!
2 Thank Ryan D
Thank you for choosing Excellence Punta Cana to celebrate such special occasion as your 3rd wedding anniversary.

It is a pleasure to know that we had the opportunity to host such memorable experience. It is truly rewarding that your stay with us was wonderful and that you were pleased with our resort facilities, food quality and the excellent service provided by our staff. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

We will be looking forward to your next visit.