“Gorgeous hotel with a few negatives”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
darlington
“Gorgeous hotel with a few negatives”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

The hotel was gorgeous, the grounds,pool and beach areas all stunning. The majority of staff are all very friendly and go out of their way to help especially Emely on reception, Samuel at the Lobster House and Pedro and Wanda at the Cascade Pool. The choice of food at breakfast and lunch was excellent, as was all the food. We ate at all restaurants on an evening apart from Oregano (too busy most nights as it is very small) and Barcelona and Toscana as they were closed. The food on a night varied between restaurants as did the service. The Grill, Lobster House and Spice were by far the best for food and service. Chez Isabelle the first time we ate there was fantastic, however we had our anniversary meal there another night and the service was very slow. Nothing special about it.

I think we hit unlucky when we were there for 2 reasons, one being the amount of building work going on throughout the resort. It wasnt very relaxing laying round the pool listening to drilling. 8am to 8pm some nights. The other noise issue was with some Americsns who clearly couldnt handle their drink, they were really loud from 10am onwards and some of them really rude too. The amount of large groups surprised me, for the time we were there i definetly wouldnt describe it as a couples resort.

My husband and i were both ill when we were there and got through 3 packets of immodium and 2 bottles of pepto bismol we had to buy at the pharmacy so take plenty with you. I probably wouldnt return for this reason as it did ruin quite a few days, however i would try the Excellence hotels in Mexico.

Any questions about the resort feel free to contact me

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the cascade pool are generally quieter, go for top floor
2 Thank Shird
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed review of your recent stay at the Excellence Punta Cana. It's a pleasure to hear from you and to see that you generally enjoyed your visit with us.

Excellence Resorts is recognized for achieving superior quality in appearance and maintenance of our properties and facilities, just as many other attributes that enable us to provide the ultimate Luxury All-Inclusive experience. We deeply regret the discommode caused by the maintenance since our main priority will remain as always on fulfilling the upgrading, while pursuing little or none inconveniences to our guests.

We are very much concerned by your review since we have high hygienic standards and our staff is well trained on this food & beverages safety practices. The resort undergoes continuous evaluation from external recognized institutions in order to accomplish this goal.

Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.

Please receive our warmest regards from the Caribbean.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,529)
  • Korean first
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

We came to the excellence resort at the end of June 2013 for our honeymoon. I had done some research of other resorts and found that what we wanted was more expensive at other places. We stayed in the honeymoon suite with a rooftop terrace that overlooked the ocean-it was amazing. We were treated like royalty all week-bottles of wine for dinner, excellence club private beach bringing us the drink of the day, etc. I suggest the upgrade to the excellence club. The beach chairs are great and the club area always had food in it that we would quickly grab for lunch or breakfast so we could have more time at the beach. The food here is phenomenal. I didn't like the beef so much but all the fish was amazing. One night we ate at Spice and I got Pad Thai, amazing. I always hear of people complaining about resort food but this place I had no complaints about. I was obsessed with their Sammy Sosa drink which is red white and blue and fruity(definitely try one). The people there are beyond friendly-my husband can speak minimal Spanish (and I enough to read it and speak slowly..mostly in present tense haha) but he wanted to try to all week so the staff would help him out and joke around with him. We also ran into a couple who said they've been to other resorts but liked this one so much that they were there for their second time. As for bad things, I can't think of much. Pools close at 6 and its a ghost town-people in their rooms getting ready for dinner which was odd for me the first night but after that we adjusted. The ride in was a little rough(drivers going around rocks blocking a road to take a shortcut that had a sign saying authorized personnel only...we survived though!) The only other recommendation I have is that although tips are included, we still left a dollar or 2 for meals or times they brought us a drink. It is not required and they definitely don't expect it, but I'm sure it is greatly appreciated. They have learned English and other languages for us and I feel it's the least I can do for coming there and not being able to speak their language. Overall, great place for honeymoons, couples getaway, or even a couples trip with friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scuderam
Caledon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Excellence Punta Cana from Nov.1-8. We celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary and couldn't of made a better choice in resorts to do so. The room was so nice...enjoyed the jacuzzi. The room was clean, well stocked and comfortable. The food was amazing. Our favorite restaurants were Spice, Chez Isabelle and The Lobster House for dinner. Las Olas was our favourite place for lunch on the beach. Cafe Kafe is a bar at the beach and our place to hang out and meet people. Robert, Edgar and Hector made sure you had a cold drink, a good laugh and even helped with the odd spanish words. They even served you on the beach with a smile! Kassandra is one of the entertainers who is a beautiful person inside and out. She works very hard making sure everyone has a good time. The beach is so relaxing, listening to the waves roll up on the gold colour sand. We will be back...miss it already!

Room Tip: We had garden/mountain view on the second floor. Much quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Excellence Punta Cana from Nov 1-8. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we loved every moment. When we arrived we were greeted with cold towels and glasses of Champagne. Definitely a nice touch, especially after flying from Canada where its was 5 Celsius when we left. We had the Garden view Junior suite. Everything was very clean. The food/restaurants was very good. The room service usually arrived cold though. The staff at the resort is absolutely amazing. I was blown away by how accommodating they were/are. We were even brought pizza on the beach one day....amazing! We did go to the disco one night which was a blast, but the DJ wasnt very friendly. By the end of the night there was no one there except a group of 4 of us, and he refused to play one of our requests....even tho all 4 of us requested it. All in all it was amazing honeymoon and we will definitely be returning!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jonno154990
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

Upgrade to club is a must. We enjoyed the private beach and service. 2 restaurants were closed and this limited our dinner options. Construction was happening while we were there as we'll. Overall really nice place and everyone was very friendly.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from my best friends wedding. Everything about the wedding was beautiful! The service at the resort was great. They go out of their way to make sure that you are happy. Great selection of restaurants. Couldn't ask for anything more!

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank danman68
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Let me just start by saying this hotel is one of the best I have ever stayed at. It exceeded every expectation I had. I was a little nervous because of some reviews about the beach, beds and food.

The ride to the airport is a bit of a drag because the highways are under construction. I liked seeing the sights of the country so for me it was no big deal. It's one of the farthest resorts from the airport so expect a 45 minute-1 hour ride.

I don't know, maybe I have low expectations but to me the food was absolutely delicious. Anything and everything you could want. Toscana for breakfast buffet and lunch buffet was fabulous. Las Olas on the beach was perfect when you wanted a quick bite to eat. Room service was also good, we only tried the nachos and chicken fingers.The restaurants at night time were also so delicious. My favorite was Agave, the mexican place. I was sad Barcelona was under construction but one day when I go back I will certainly try it!

The rooms were always kept clean. Housekeeping comes once in the morning and at night to turn down the bed :) They left sweet chocolates and even put your slippers next to the bed! I loved the towel decorations. We asked for the pillow top and I was very comfortable.

The beach and pool were so nice!!! Waves were rough but it's the Atlantic ocean, not Caribbean sea so it was expected. We spent most of our time by the beach to soak up the sun. There were always chairs available by the beach or pool!

We went to Saona Island for our excursion and I highly recommend it! It was long... about 10 hours but well worth it. Google Saona Island and you'll see what I mean :)

We tipped everyone. Sometimes $1, $5 and occasional $10. I can assure you they appreciate it and will make sure you are treated like royalty.

The only negative I have is the weather :( It was stormy 3/7 days we were there but we managed to have the time of our lives. WE WILL BE BACK!!!

5 Thank Meghan M