“More than I would have dreamed”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Gage, Oklahoma, United States
“More than I would have dreamed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed at Excellence, Punta Cana 5 days and it just wasn't long enough. The staff is the best ever. We never wanted for anything.The food was great and the extras were more than I would have ever dreamed. Have stayed in other all inclusive places but this one is just the best ever. I just can't wait to return...Emely Cabalos was great and Andy was so helpful. I'm sorry I cannot remember the names of the rest of the great folks there, but the whole staff is just wonderful beyond words....

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sally W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,535)
  • Korean first
LEO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed at the Excellence Oct 20-27th. I had heard and read so much about Excellence Resorts and their 5 start ratings that I expected top-notch - I got average. The transfer from the airport was excellent although very long and with the Excellence being last on the beach we dropped off several other couples first making the trip extremely long, hot and tiresome. After a long long day of travel the last thing you want is a long drawn out transfer to the hotel. The checkin process was smooth but arriving so late in the day I expected to be able to get to the room immediately - not the case... and then once we did I had to call to find out luggage. Once I alled it was delivered immediately but still I did not expect that.
The room decor is "okay" needs some updates but it was clean. I usually had to leave a note to get stocked with supplies. The mini bar was serviced every evening but for some reason they choose to come and service the rooms late in the afternoon while we were getting ready for dinner (6-6:30). What we found was if we were in the middle of getting ready to go out and did not have them service the room when they came then they never came back that day and we were out of luck for replenishing the mini bar or getting the room serviced. There were multiple nights that we did not receive turn down service but had the next days activity sheet hung on the door with no service inside the room at all. The nights that we did receive turn down service were nice with fancy towels and flowers on the bed.
Don't be surprised if you lose power also. Once night the whole resort lost electricity and although the power did come back on after a little while - the water did not! It took some time to get water back on. It was especially irritating since again it was time to get ready for dinner and after a day at the beach I REALLY wanted a shower!
Most of the restaurants served excellence meals but the buffet was quite disappointing. There was a LOT to choose from - the problem - they seemed to have trouble keeping the food hot. The best idea is to get the fresh made omelettes (excellent!). Other items were often luke warm. Good choices were the fresh fruit with an omelette or eggs from the omelette station.
The beach was beautiful with good sized waves for fun. The pools were very nice - the problem was that they had floats that would have been nice (IF you could get one). The floats were very limited and often times people would grab a float i the morning and hold onto it doe the day.
The entertainment - well that happened every night but it seemed very amateurish. The stage was an open air theater and the sound quality was pretty bad. Often times it was difficult to hear or understand much. The lighting (if you sat in the back of the area was so bad that you really couldn't see a lot of what was happening on the stage. The best part was the saxophone player at the martini bar every evening from 6:30 - 7:30 He was excellent and we enjoyed his music every evening. He also was great in that he actually seemed to enjoy his job and mingled with the audience.
The day time activities - Cassandra, Luz, and Johyln were AWESOME. They seemed to love their jobs and it showed. Of course the crafts were a bit hokey ... and they only had three different crafts for our 7 day stay, - plastic beads (and very limited at that), plaster ornaments to paint, and pre- made candles that you could decorate with scraps of material. I would not have wasted my time if it had not been for the three girls that ran the activities.
Also all the construction going on .... I know that they have to continually fix up the place but there were 2 total buildings under construction with hammering and construction noise all day from morning until well after dark.
I know that many vacationers do not use the gym but you would be missing out if you did not go use the gym on this property - it was well equipped and a great way to take away some of the guilt from all the food and alcohol consumed at this resort! There were also bicycles, squash courts, tennis courts, archery, and a nice jogging area in a beautiful ecological park.
Another thing that we did like was that there was no one constantly trying to sell you "souvenirs" on the beach. It seems like the resort had allowed some building down the beach a ways so that if you wanted souvenirs you could go to the "Walmart" hidden in the palm trees down the beach, There were also some shops on the resort property but they seemed very pricey. I got a great deal on some painting from the "Walmart" on the beach that were three times the price in the stores on the property.

Room Tip: Don't get a room that looks over the Sport's Bar during a World Series event! It was very no...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank NONAME567_12
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is our regret that we were not able to exceed your expectations, although many travelers find Excellence Punta Cana to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed at the Excellence Punta Cana in July of 2013. Our flight into the Dominican was without any problems. Once we landed, we walked off the plane and into a beautiful airport. The humidity was the only immediate drawback. With a small shower, that quickly disappeared. We were able to locate our luggage and travel guide booth quickly. I suggest having all arrangements preplaned through a respected travel agent to make the transition smoothly. We did not have to wait long before our shuttle was loaded and we were on our way. As with any tropical island, the road systems are poor. It took about 1.5 hours to reach our destination, but once we were there, it was a tropical paradise. We stepped off the shuttle and were instantly greated with glasses of champagne and cool, wet towels. There was no waiting and we were quickly checked in. We were surprised our travel agent had requested an upgrade and it was honored. We were placed in a honeymoon suite. It was beautiful and had it's own private pool and bar. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated. The refrigerator was stocked with beer and local fruit drinks and colas. There was a nice bottle of champagne and hard liquors for the choosing. Fresh fruit was left in the sitting room. Robes and slippers were hanging for us in the closet along with a nice assortment of soaps and lotions. A large jacuzzi tub was in our room as well. There were options for the resort to run a bath with a selection of soaps and salts to choose at a fee. The grounds are gorgeous. We had a wonderful time just relaxing and enjoying the views. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from. I can not say that I was over impressed with any of the dining options. Room service was a plus. The gym on site was nice and the equipment was impressive for a resort. We didn't have any significant complaints from our stay. However, two of the 5 couples in our group had items missing from their safes. We had no problems with items being stolen. It was a great experience, but one visit to this site was enough. I would, however, go to other Excellence properties simply because their staff is so friendly. The only advice I have is if you want to purchase souvenirs for the return home, just purchase them at the resort. The prices are so close to those in the airport. When we departed and arrived at the airport, so was everyone else! Since we took a shuttle to the airport, we were dropped in a location away from the departure area. We had to walk up a hill with all our luggage. It was not very pleasant and, of course, the weather was humid. We did get to the lines, finally, checked in and proceeded to find the gift shop for gifts. The gift shop is very small and was packed with people. Unless you have a lot of time to waste, get the items you want at the resort. We did stop at the bar and have a few drinks while waiting on our travel companions. Expect high prices for food and beer. Overall, we enjoyed the vacation simply because of being with loved ones. Reminder, this is an adult only resort. We did not see any nudity while at this location and all the people there were on their best behavior. We were probably the loudest group there. Only one thing that I have to say and I am making it last so you won't forget, have as many coco-loco's that you can!!! They were truly amazing.

Room Tip: Splurge, go for it... Spend the money and get the swim up room... You won't be disappointed!! I...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Neko G
Little Rock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

We traveled with a total of 3 couples for a week in mid July 2013. The Excellence really is excellent! The staff is very friendly and cater to their guests. The beach is amazing!! The beach bar serves lunch and snacks throughout the day....loved the pizza oven! Nightly entertainment was neat...the fire show was hands down the best! All the pools were fun depending on what you wanted to do for the day. We played pool volleyball in the main pool and met lots of fun guests. We will all be returning in the future. The only disappointment was the rooms. They were very large but outdated. Ask for the pillow top for your bed!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor. They views are wonderful!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed at Excellence, Punta Cana on Oct. 19-26th with friends we had met there on our first trip seven years ago...and we've been back every year since. Over the years they have been continually updating the accomodations and we can't wait to go back next year to see the completion of some of the changes they were making this year. However, it's not just about the accomodations. When you get there, they hand you a glass of champagne and a wet towel after your trip from the airport and say "Welcome Home". To us it does seem like a home away from home because of the staff that works there that we have come to know and look forward to seeing. Roberto, Guest Service Manager, was very accomodating in any request that we had. Three of us celebrate our birthday at that time. Lisbeth, at the Spice restaurant is one of many favorites there. We saw Junior, now at the Grill, the "morning girls" Roxanna, Roseanna and Jady took excellent care of us as did Jhonney. There were others, but my husband knows who they are. Sorry guys. The food was amazing. They've updated the menus, but still have kept my favorites dishes. My favorite restaurant??? Hard to say because they were all good. Well..we never made it to the Italian..but we have that all the time at home. Housekeeping did a great job in keeping things clean, their "towel animal" creations were better than the ones we see on cruises, plus our birthday decorations were very nice. The pools and beach are very clean, the drinks are good. One suggestion I would offer is to bring your own swim float. I have one that packs up very small. While the hotel provides many nice swim mats, some vacationers do not heed the rules and they hoard them. I used the gym a couple of times, the other times I walked through their gardens with stone pathways. It's marked as a type of running course. There are lakes, flamingos, herons, kingfishers, ducks, geese and some odd looking thing that sounded like a baby. You can feed them with the leftover bread..just watch out for the geese. Looking forward to our 8th stay..the other couple with us had been there 10 times! What else can I say? Linda P p.s.sorry...my good photos are on the mac and I'm doing this on the pc so these are what I have on this computer..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Linda P
wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Just returned from 2 weeks at Excellence Punta Cana and after staying in Excellence Riviera and Mujeres in Mexico all I can say is We are disappointed. If you've never stayed in the those hotels you would think it was great. The resort is beautiful and the beach is great, and all the bar staff, Omar, Dionel, Hector, Kelvin and David are brilliant. We were not told prior to our arrival that they have quite extensive refurbishment going on at the moment, and it unfortunately does spoil the ambience when you are sat at the swimming pool and all you see is boarding and hear the sound of drilling. 2 of the restaurants were closed also for renovations so it does limit your restaurant choice when you are staying for 2 weeks.
Never thought I'd ever complain about an Excellence hotel, maybe when all the refurbishments are done I will give it another try but Mexico will be first choice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank suzybee8862
Please receive our warmest greetings from the Caribbean.

We really appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

On the other hand, Excellence Resorts is recognized for achieving superior quality in appearance and maintenance of our properties and facilities, just as many other attributes that enable us to provide the ultimate Luxury All-Inclusive experience. We deeply regret the discommode caused by the maintenance since our main priority will remain as always on fulfilling the upgrading, while pursuing little or none inconveniences to our guests.

Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in case you require any future assistance.
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

First, I am a professional travel agent--I visit lots of resorts and have been to the Dominican Republic about a dozen times. I just returned from a 3 night inspection of Excellence with a client who has booked a group there in April 2014.
Service-without question, the best I have seen in the DR. An example: first day I was exiting my room to get ice--a maintenance worker was walking past and insisted that he walk down two levels to the ice machine for me--a maintenance worker!!
Restaurant wait staff greeted us warmly and several remembered our beverage desires after the first visit.
Bartenders were always friendly and were quick to take and fill orders.
Food quality-variety was exceptional and quality was outstanding. Steaks were tender and cooked to order. Seafood was very fresh and prepaired perfectly.
Housekeeping was prompt every day and kept room fresh and spotless. Top shelf liquor and minibar were replenished daily. Variety of snacks were a nice touch.
Nightly entertainment was fun and varied.
There are many choices in the DR and all provide the basics, the difference is always in the details and little things. Excellence has all of the details and little things covered!! My newest favorite Dominican destination.

Room Tip: biuldings 2 and 3 offer easy access to everything
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business