“Amazing vacation spot!”

Ranked #17 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Hamilton, NJ
“Amazing vacation spot!”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here from 9/30-10/4 to celebrate our birthdays. We had the most amazing vacation! If you want to go somewhere where you do not have to do anything but relax and be waited on, this is the place for you. The beach was wonderful - water was warm, and the staff waits on you hand and foot. The food was absolutely wonderful. The only gripe I had about the food was the room service breakfast that we ordered the day we were leaving. They delivered eggs sunny-side up without any kind of bread to eat it with, the fruit wasn't ripe. Other than that, the food was great. It was nice not to have to make reservations either.

The nightly entertainment was no joke. The Michael Jackson tribute show was awesome. I really thought I was watching him. The circus show was also excellent.

Overall, the one thing that was disappointing was that when we first checked in, the front desk staff pressured us into upgrading to the "Excellence Club". We ended up doing it, which got us access to a private beach, access to the Excellence Club where you can watch TV, eat and get top shelf liquor. However they were also supposed to deliver things to our room daily such as a newspaper, fruit, petit fours, etc. The following day none of these things arrived and we had to ask for it. Finally after asking these things were delivered. I really felt that we shouldn't have had to ask once we paid extra. This is why I gave the resort 4 stars instead of 5.

A quick shout out to the Zumba instructors - I had never taken a Zumba class before and decided to try the Aqua Zumba class for 1/2 hour - had so much fun and what a great workout!

Room Tip: Ocean view room was nice, but don't expect an unrestricted view - you have to see past the pool...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank soccermom22222

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,557)
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Mr.Chely and Miss.Luz are two of the most full of life , pleasant, hard working staff ive ever come across. Went above and beyond to make our stay full of fun. Weather it was at the pool during the day or late at night at dinner the wore a constant smile and made sure we were taken care of... Definitely a place to revisit in the future. ..

• Stayed October 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Excellence Resort was a really great location to stay for the week. The staff was friendly, the accommodations were very nice, the grounds were beautiful (really good pools), the beach was beautiful; it was a fantastic week. The Dominican Republic is a beautiful tropical country, but has a typical economy and culture of the islands, so you have to be prepared for the extremely different lifestyle. The roads to the resort are terrible and there is lots of construction, hopefully in a year or so it will be much better. The excursions we were on were great. The dune buggies were a blast and the zip-lining was exciting and beautiful. Went fishing, was fun but unproductive. The weather was often very hot and humid, at times very uncomfortable and typical of the island, there was no air conditioning in most areas, not even fans. The food was very continental and for the most part not to my liking, there is a lot of variety in the styles of food. If you are going to the DR I would recommend Excellence, it was safe, very accommodating, lots of adult beverage, lots of pools, helpful friendly staff, good entertainment, good beach; just be prepared for long bumpy rides to get to or from anywhere, the airport is an hour plus drive. My overall impression was an oasis in the middle of a different world, beautiful but backward and often chaotic.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Extroop
Rochester
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Just got back from a 9 day stay at this resort. This is our 4th all inclusive stay so we know how they work. This was our first try with the Excellence resorts. Let me start by saying the staff here is amazing! I cant not say enough good things about everyone at this resort. They work so hard to make everyone happy! The entertainment staff is great especially Marlon, Kassandra and Chellie, loved them. Kendrie was our favorite bartender you can find him at the swim up bar and at the Stars bar at night. Such a nice guy! Poolside drinks kept coming before your finished Altagracia was asking if your ready for another. The food at the resort was fine, nothing better or worse than the other resorts we have stayed at. Service was great! The grounds are very nice and the beach is beautiful! Now for the bad part - we had horrible luck with our room. When we checked in we got room 6107 , when we walked in it had this nasty smell just musty but we thought well once the air conditioner is kicked in it will be fine. Well we woke up the next morning and the floor was soaked. Not sure what happened but it looked like someone tossed a bucket of water across the room. It was gross. We went to the main desk and they quickly changed our room to 6111. First night in that room was great then it went sour. Day 3 our bathroom vanity is covered in ants, spoke to the guy at the desk and he sends someone to spray it... ughhhh.. two days go by things seem okay but it happens again. Now its where the closet is ants every where... I was so upset ! They came and sprayed again! Needless to say I was not happy about this. The resort needs to update the rooms. The rooms are outdated. I do think the staff is great the resort is nice but the rooms are horrible. Wish we didn't have the room issue because I would have had no complaints.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Punta Cana with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable.

At Excellence we are committed to provide services and facilities in consistency with the hotel high standards, a continuous supervision is held in all hotels areas to ensure our installations comply with this goal. However we would like to mention that when cooled air conditioner in the room and the warm external air outside the room enter in contact, it can produce humidity, and might caused bad odors. This is something very typical of the tropical climate, especially in the Caribbean whose surroundings are mainly composed by beautiful mangroves.

An apologize about the incident with the ants in your room, nevertheless we would like to explain that, we have a complete program for pest control and fumigation throughout all the hotel areas including our guest rooms, but as you know the hotel is located in a tropical area; that is why before our guests arrive, all rooms are thoroughly inspected and fresh linens are put on beds.

bourne, lincs
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Brilliant hotel would support all the positive comments but beware. The pharmacy is not owned by the hotel and it is 4 or 5 times more expensive than home. If you run out of after bite a free and excellent remedy, courtesy of the rep is wipe the bite with lime soaked in 151 rum. Beware in the pool, the Americans like to boast how many times they've peed in it, mostly as they hang around in the pool bar drinking and never seem to get out! This is a fantastic place though I wouldn't pay extra for a sea view or you may end up over the bars and restaurants.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank 394louise
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

My hubby and I stayed at excellence for our 4th wedding anniversary and let me start off by saying this resort was beyond amazing. We have been to two other all inclusive resorts in the last 4 years one being in cancun and one right here in the DR and they couldnt even compare to our excellence punta cana experience. Ready for a lengthy review but please read,

The staff here was wonderful: first off Marlon, kassandra, chely and Luz are just fantastic people and a wonderful entertainment staff. Never a dull moment with them around. Chely is a wonderful dancer by the way!
Sonia at the cafekafe bar was beyond fantastic. Always attentive to our needs and constantly had a smile on her face. Altagarcia at the main pool was wonderful, never had an empty drink with her around.

The food and drinks at this resort was top of the line for an all inclusive. Chez Isabell and Spice were by far my favorite but all the restaurants were delicious. If you get the chance to experience The dominican dinner on the beach dont miss it!!!! It was a wonderful treat!!! Definitely for drinks hit up the martini bar, espresso martinis and chocolate martinis are fabulous. Make sure to try a sammy sosa and a miami vice.. pretty to look at even better to drink, and dont be scared of the mamajuana lol.

there are little shops to the left of the beach definitely hit up khols and kmart they will work out a great deal for some reallly nice gifts to bring back home! The ocean can be a little rough here so be careful. The ride from the airport is a tad long but the scenery you get to take in is amazing and worth the ride. And the cold towel and champagne upon arrival is great! Definitely do bring bug spray you will need it!! The beds in the rooms are a bit hard but easily fixed with a visit to the desk and ask for a pillow top. They will happily deliver one to your room. In your room you have bottles, large bottles, of liquor and if you dont like that kind you can swap for another. The rooms are nice and comfortable. Never once smelt funny or musty. Remeber to close your sliding door or your ac wont work!!!

I really cant say much more about this vacation other then it was by far a magical vacation with the love of my life in a tropical paradise at a gorgeous resort that made me come home already ready to plan my return trip!

• Stayed September 2013
7 Thank Brittany D
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Words could not express our vacation at Punta Cana Excellence on Sept. 22, 2013. We stayed 6 days and loved every minute of it. I cellebrated my 50th birthday and our 24th wedding anniversary. We stayed in a very luxurious room with a jaccusi and king size bed, with a patio that had a hammock. The veiw from our room overlooked the mountains and we had a garden scenic view. There were 8 resturaunts to choose from and being a chef by profession, I would give them a 4.5 star rating. The food overall was quite succulant and delicious. This was our first trip to Dominican Republic however It will not be our last. The whole trip costed over $2000.00 however this included airfare and all meals,as much as you wanted to eat and drink. Although my wife I do not drink alcohol, plenty was available even in the mini bar in our room. We also had sodas,juicee and snacks delivered to our room daily.The bars there made us the best virgin pina calada inside the fresh coconuts. If I had the money I would go back before next summer. My wife and I send a special thanks to The Excellence Resort staff, front desk receptionist,maintenance, resturaunt chefs and servers,bar servers,recreation and live show dept. bell boys and Vip transportaion. Thanks to the owners of this great resort. You ALL made a lasting impression upon my wife and I. We look forward to spend our next vacation with you.
Michael and Sheila of Virginia Beach Va. all we could say was, WOW!

Room Tip: Our room was great however my toilett would not flush the 2nd day. We simply called guest services a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple