“Our week in Paradise was Excellente!”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #14 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I wanted to take my wife on a romantic getaway to a beautiful place. Excellence Punta Cana was exactly that! From the second you arrive, you are greeted with smiles and champagne!

So, here is my official "review" to inform potential travelers on what to expect here.

This resort is a solid 4 star but the staff makes it a 5 star for us.

The Excellence Club. Nice to have for the little extra it costs if you can afford it.
What you get. The Excellence Club itself which is located right off of the pool so you can run up and mix your own drink, grab a snack, get in some AC for a few min. They also have better coffee than the restaurants or bars. Always have snacks out to nibble on. There is also a private beach reserved for Excellence Club members with slightly better beach chairs and cushions.

The food was certainly not fine dining but it was better than good at most of the restaurants. Anyone who walks into an all-inclusive expecting amazing food will be disappointed. But Excellence probably has some of the best food for an all-inclusive.

Las Olas was ocean side and did have American food along with other selections. Hot dogs, burgers, fries, tacos, pizzas, nachos, etc. They also have to-go trays so you can take some cheese fries back to the beach or pool.

The Grill was very good for lunch but breakfast was more limited than the buffet obviously.

Oregano. Big disappointment. If you want pizza, go to Las Olas or wait for the 12:30 pizza rush. They carry and hand out pizzas everywhere around 12:30 every day and they are actually not that bad. Perfect if you want to stay in the pool and just have a little something to soak up the booze.

Tuscany. Breakfast buffet is great. They have everything from Bloody Marys, to custom omelets, pancakes, french toast, bagels, fresh fruits and cheeses, on and on. Can't go wrong. We did not go there for dinner simply because I am Italian and cook it all of the time at home.

Lobster House. They DO cook lobster for everyone there so do not expect a perfectly cooked lobster. It will more than likely be slightly over done but still pretty fair.

Spice. Awesome. Sushi was good, Pad Thai was great. Wife had fried rice that was ok.

Barcelona. Appetizers were all we had but they were great.

Agave. Miguel is the best! Food was good and the service was great. Miguel remembered me from the previous day at one of the bars. Sat us down and grabbed a champagne ice bucket, sat it beside me and put a handful of Coronas in it for me! Amazed he remembered me by name and that I liked mexican cervesa. He made our dining experience there GREAT!

Le Chez Isabelle. Good food. We are not into french food but it was fun to try.

Room service. It was good. Not great. Eggs Benedict was cold on day 1. Sandwiches are good. Eggs Benedict on day 6 was good. There is food everywhere you go so we only used it a few times.

The Terrace Suite with Ocean View was amazing. Great views and we had our own place to hang out in our private lap pool or outdoor bed.

Excellence has a pillow menu... so if you are picky like me, no worries. They have foam, feather, etc. for you to choose from. You can also request a mattress pad.

Overall this resort was wonderful. The food was better than we expected but some of the staff really stood out for us. Gerald and Franklin with the snorkeling and scuba excursions, Miguel in Agave, Inez at the pool/beach concierge cabana, Chely with pool activities and entertainment, Juan and Kelvin and Kendry and Felix and Vargas were all at bar/pool service, Luis Jansom also with bar service. These people worked to make our stay excellente'!!!

There were other staff members as well but these are the people that really made a lasting impression with us.

We are looking forward to another visit!

Room Tip: The rooms are all nice, and if your vacation goes as planned, you won't be in it much anyways!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mel C
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Punta Cana with all Trip Advisor Readers.

We are pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.

There are newer reviews for Excellence Punta Cana

Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I vacationed here for our pre-children last hurrah. We've vacationed in Jamaica before and were looking for a similar experience. We both really enjoyed this property and everything that went along with it. Yes the transfer from the airport to Excellence is long and bumpy. You have to expect that. Our room was pretty much what I expected. The bathroom was updated and nice. The a/c worked well and there was plenty of alcohol and other drinks in the room daily. The beach was very nice and quite large. They have a separate beach area for Excellence club members. These were nicer beach chairs/beds which included better drink service. I'm not sure if the cost is worth it but the extra attention might be nice. They also do shows every night. They were much more extravagant than I expected. We looked forward to these each night after dinner.

The restaurants were all good as well. I'm not very picky so I had no issue with the food. We ate at Barcelona twice because we liked it so much. The breakfast buffet was also really nice. The quick lunches at beach-side grill (I forget its name) were perfect. Quick hot dog or burger to keep you going until dinner. We drank a lot on this trip. There are bars everywhere. There is no excuse not to have a drink in your hand at all times. There is a sports bar on the far side of the property. The bartender is named JJ. He was awesome. We ended up visiting/drinking almost every night. He was very friendly and talkative. They have desserts at this bar. You cant miss this! We walked the entire length of the property just to visit JJ at times.

We were also helped by Roberto Puello. He helped us figure out and book some of our excursions. We signed up for a surfing lesson thanks to him. He was available all day to talk to us about our excursions and make sure everything was taken care of. He even checked on us during our surfing lesson. He was very nice and I appreciated his attention to detail.

I do have two gripes about this property. They "close" the pool at 6 p.m. each night. I know there is probably a good reason for this but I couldn't figure it out. There were a few nights where we just wanted to chill in the pool and have a late dinner but we were asked to get out of the pool. My second issue is there free wi-fi. Our room was all the way at the end of the property so it may have been a distance issue. I have to check on work every morning, even on vacation, so the wi-fi was important to me. I didn't want to walk to the lobby area of the resort every morning just to check a few things. The wi-fi was really spotty in the room. I ended up using it on the balcony most mornings. It was adequate I guess, but they could improve that and make people like me happier! Thanks to the tropical location there were a lot of mosquitoes. Bring bug spray.

Overall a great trip. I must warn you though, the Dominicans have their own mixed drink called Mama Juana. We really enjoyed doing shots of this. We did shots of this almost every day and night. They claim it has magical powers. I think it does as my wife got pregnant on this trip...So be careful!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JohnRJohnson

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

We would like to mention that since some guest rooms enjoy proximity to this area, the pools are being closed at 6pm. The proper treatment of the swimming pools is also performed during the closure.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Don't believe the rest of the reviews. The food is terrible at this place. Drinks were actually good and the grounds were really nice.

The staff wasn't as nice and friendly as most of the reviews made it sound. We're pretty easy to please but maybe we read too many reviews about how great the staff is. They are ok but certainly not over the top like most of the reviews make it sound.

When we checked out, the guy at the front desk asked how everything was. At first I said "everything was great" but then asked if be wanted my honest opinion. I didn't actually care if he wanted my honest opinion and gave it anyway. I told him the food was actually terrible and, without missing a beat, he said "we are working on that". Like I implied, I can't understand how there are reviews saying the food at Excellence is good. It's simply not good. It makes me question who is supplying these reviews.

Sadly, I based my expectations for the resort on the reviews I read on TripAdvisor and I can honestly say I have no plans to return to this resort. The reality is I, along with my wife, probably won't return to Punta Cana. We are almost convinced that the reviews for this place are probably fake reviews that are not posted by people that actually traveled to this place. I read many other reviews for other places in Punta Cana that sounded too similar to the many great reviews for Excellence.

If you are going to Punta Cana and especially Excellence, I advise you to do more research that reading TripAdvisor reviews.

Dear TripAdvisor, how about posting this real review from a real traveler!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
10  Thank mparis3826

Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is our regret that we were not able to meet your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food and the drinks.

As a luxurious all inclusive resort we personalize not only our service, but our cuisine as well, and in an effort to reach this premise, we offer 8 different À la carte options and 1 beach snack grill.

We have also noted your comment regarding the veracity of our reviews. An apologize to anybody bothered by what we consider a misplaced comment. Our policy is that every single traveler is free to share their experience without having an agreement.

Please receive our warmest greetings from Punta Cana.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

having spent too much time looking at reviews finally picked this hotel ......good choice , road transfer is around 1hr 20mins no way that the new road will be open soon far too much work to do . Check in fine room 2210 (top floor) excellent room overlooking cascade pool no issues at all, all resteraunts clean and quick with service our favs were french, spice and fish in the lobster house , lunch menu was excellent in toscana every day there was a choice of fresh tuna,grouper,snapper,calamari and chicken cooked to order on the griddle ,doesn`t get any better .
Bars were all well stocked and freindly both with staff and customers and the waiters on the beach were a godsend, thanks pedro ,beach is again excellent every morning staff were out raking all bits of seaweed off the sand and by 8.30 there was not a speck of dirt .mozzies were about between 4.30 and 7.00 so those sitting around the bars did get a few bites we took avon skin so soft and sprayed all over and had no problems.
Only issue we had was the romantic dinner on the beach at a cost of $200 we found the food in the resteraunts better than what we recieved no ice bucket so had to wait for champagne and wine ,beach beds were left right in front of our table and room was not decorated after bringing all these points up with the duty manager a full refund was recieved with apoilogies ,it did spoil our anniversiry but not our holiday and we would definatley go back in the future .

Room Tip: top floor has high ceilings we found them perfect for us
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank s H
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I can't say anything negative about this resort. The place was immaculate, the people were amazing, and it was pure relaxation. From the second we arrived and we treated to champagne and a cool towel to the second we left, we were attended to every moment. We did not purchase the Excellence Club upgrade but I don't think it could've gotten much better. The food was very good, different than I'm used to but always a decent selection. I'd have to say the lobster house was my favorite. We didn't get to Agave because we ran out of time but the reviews from others said it was just as good as everywhere else. The room was very nice, we requested an upper floor so we had a vaulted ceiling which makes to room appear so much larger. We got an opportunity to see a honeymoon suite, OMG! It's bigger than my house. If I go bad to DR this would be the place I would stay. My next trips will be to the other Excellence resort locations. I'm not sure anyone else can top Excellence.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ajm1224
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed here September 22nd-28th 2013. I had booked my holiday through Orbitz and used VIP as my van service. My experience with the airport and finding my driver was flawless. It does help to have your ten dollar entrance fee and the forms that you receive from the airline filled out before you deplane. Also do your research! Don't leave it up to chance. Know what you're doing and how you're going to do it. With technology being what it is today half the bad reviews on here are from people that don't know how to use a computer and have very poor life coping skills. The drive to the resort was air-conditioned and you get a chance to see how some of the Dominicans live along the way. My driver was professional, polite and I felt safe. Nothing worse than driving in NYC or LA. I arrived and was greeted with a hardy "Welcome Home!" I was handed a wet towel and a lovely glass of cold champaign. Check in didn't even take five minutes! I traveled solo so my objective for this trip was to relax, sunbath, eat, play in the surf and to hang out with the Macaws. I specifically chose this resort for it being Adult Only, All Inclusive, NO KIDS! I accomplished what I had planned. I was a tad apprehensive about traveling solo since I knew it'd be filled with honeymooning couples or couples in general. After the first day my worries vanished. What I didn't expect was to meet some of the most genuine people while going about my holiday. Sharon and Richard were enjoyable to talk to! Other random people I spent bantering with at the pool.The waiters and waitresses were always so friendly and engaging. The staff at the Excellence Beach were so very nice. Refeal and Julio made my swimming in the surf possible! (The current is very strong since it's on the Atlantic side.)I stayed in the Excellence club garden view suite which was cleaned every single day, fresh fruit daily, upgraded room service and since I don't really drink they stocked my mini fridge with what I liked. The turn down service was a welcomed touch of comfy! The room service was hit or miss but the service itself was always on par. There was always a smile! The food at the restaurants was very good! I especially liked The Grill for the steak and The Lobster House for the Lobster. Toscana for buffet breakfast and lunch. The drinks on the beach and at the pool were always plentiful and delicious! If anything I had to turn staff away because they had just come up only twenty minutes prior. ;)There are specials everyday. They also come around with snacks. The cheese pizza was tasty! I also ate mini meals at the Excellence Club House which will tide you over if you sleep in. I spent a lot of time just wandering around the resort, which is HUGE! I made friends with the two Macaws. The red one is a ham! The beach is best seen in the morning to early afternoon in which the turquoise really shines. It's still beautiful anytime but most vibrant earlier in the day. This place truly is gorgeous! Sure it's not on the calm Caribbean side but the Atlantic has it's own charm. The pools are split up and wind around. It was invigorating to lay on a floaty with drink in hand and to lazily float around. Sorry if I bumped into you! Pools close at 6pm nightly. The nightly shows were decent. They work really hard and it shows. The Michael Jackson Tribute was my favorite. It's fun to go sit down at the beach, listen to the waves crash and watch the stars. I saw the brightest falling star of my life! BRING LOTS OF SUNSCREEN! The sun is HOT! I would stay here again.

Bit of wisdom: Being direct, voicing your needs, attempting Spanish and smiling goes along way here. I never felt pushed to tip but just remember that five or ten that you tip can feed a family for a month in the Dominican Republic.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Sara H
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Was a excellence hotel nice place. Good food and drink. Also. Next year come back again. The pool is nice the beach also. The hotel excellence is a paraidise. The people is very nice. Always the people smile alla time. This great hotel excellence. The show is very nice

• Stayed: September 2013