“best yet”

Ranked #15 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Concord, New Hampshire
“best yet”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

we have stayed at other resorts in the Caribbean this was the best yet. the staff and the resort lived up to it's name. Chely,Marlo,Bernie, you guys were awesome. you made it fun every day. the food was good and the bars always had a drink and a smile for you. i have already and will recommend this to friends and family. will be back next year with more friends!

Room Tip: we had a first floor room with a hammock, it was private and close to everything
1 Thank Rogerandlisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,598)
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 21, 2013

To start off I want to say this is my 2nd time to EPC. Last visit was in 2011 and it was amazing then and even better now.

Please take any negative reviews with a grain of salt. People like to nit pick and rant. People are overly dramatic and exaggerate. Everyone has different taste buds and standards.

I am from Los Angeles, Beverly Hills to be exact. I consider myself a foodie. I have high standards on food and service. Excellence PC blows away any service I've ever experienced anywhere at home or in my travels around the world.

I will break down this review to cover everything.

We upgraded to the Excellence Club. We think it was worth it mainly because we used the beds on the Excellence Beach everyday and loved them. We also took advantage of the dvd rentals for club memvers and iPad rental. Rafael at Excellence Beach is our bew "hermano" and was amazing helping us with any and everything we requested.

Airport:
It is small. It is easy to navigate. Once you grab your luggage from one of the baggage claims, yes most likely a porter will ask to help you with your baggage. They are not there to steal your stuff. They just want a tip and will help you find your transportation and only costs you a dollar or two if you decide to tip. A simple no thank you and they will leave you alone. Others may approch you to ask if you have transportation. I said yes, they said ok and walked away.

Transportation:
Excellence is 40mins to 1 hour from the airport. Time depends on your driver, how many stops and time of day. There is construction going on which causes delays. We used Coco Tours and they were on time, friendly, and drove well. Yes there are crazy drivers and I'm sure the laws are much different in PC than where you are from. They can drive on both sides of the road and pass each other and it may freak some people out. They aren't bad drivers, they just have different laws and customs. We never felt at risk or unsafe. Lots of people complain about the travel time. Its vacation. I know you are tired of traveling but its a beautiful countryside with greenery and animals and time flies and you are on vacation. If you are worried about bumpy roads most is now paved but there are potholes. This is a poor area and potholes being filled is not likely on their list of priorities. I tend to get carsick so just for good measure I took a Drammamine.

Arrival:
Upon check in you will be greeted by porters who will take you luggage. We kept our carryons and let them take the rest. Cold towels and champagne will be waiting for you along with a "Welcome Home".

Staff:
Front Desk:
Reynaldo and Emely made our stay perfect. Ask for them, even message me for their contact info as they will personally make sure you are well taken care of and try their best to accommodate any desire or request. Reynaldo and Emely really go above and beyond for people. Every request we had was filled and they did it all without asking. Even after check in everytime they saw us they made sure everything was perfect and asked us if we needed anything. They bend over backwards to help you and I will dearly miss them as if they were close friends. We had emailed in advance to request a higher floor room and either building 7, 8, 10 or 14. Since I had been before I knew which I preferred since the higher room are less bug accessible and you don't get any noise from the pool or pool/mildew/chlorine smell.

Entertainment Staff:
Luz is an amazingly person and staff member and I consider her a friend. She made Bingo fun, arts and crafts and activities a blast. She is genuinely a nice person and will keep a smile on your face.
Julio loves his job. He makes the shows come to life and danced the night away with me.
Chely is so fun and energetic. He made the Crazy Games and all the activities so fun. He never runs out of energy and his smile is contagious.
Kassandra taught us Salsa and is also so sweet. I got sunburned and she came to make sure I was ok and if she could get me anything.
Bernie and Juan are amazing as well and a great asset to the staff.

Bartenders and Waitstaff:

Carlos, who works mostly at Agave, Lobster House and sometimes room service made us feel at home. He is our "Primo" now and we genuinely will miss having him around during meals as he makes it an experience not just dinner.

Mr. Esteban Brown is a sweet guy with a heart of gold who made our dinners at Agave and The Grill amazing.

Roberta at Spice went above and beyond. I wanted to order the fried rice but it had onions (I'm allergic) she had a special batch made for me. Upon our second time at Spice 5 days later she remembered and once again did it without me even saying a word. This is great service
Amilton at Lobster House often served us breakfast and dinner. He loves sports and kept us in the loop and was really great about recommendations on menu items and is super sweet.

Kelvin at the swimup bar should be your go-to pool bartender. He has a smile that will brighten your day, amazing service and one of the staff that we will dearly miss. He remembers your favorites, your name, and will make your day.

Fransisco at Stars bar took care of us at night. His service was friendly and prompt, always smiling and making you feel like you were his only guest.

Martini bar makes a killer Excellence Martini, Chocolate Martini and Expresso Martini.

Room:
We had room 8208. I was in this building last time and loved it. Next to the excellence club and also right in the middle of the pool, but far enough away from the front and swim-up bar to have quiet.

Food:

Spice:
A combination of chinese, thai and Japanese that will not dissapoint. We loved the Thai Beef Salad, Spring Rolls, Pad Thai and New York Terikyaki which is tender and flavorful. Restaurant is well air conditioned and it is one of my favorites. Open for dinner only.

Agave:
Chicken Tostada, Calamari, Chicken Fajitas and their salsas and gaucamole are not to be missed. Restaurant is not air conditioned completely and can get warm but it is not bad. Open for dinner only.

Chez Isabelle:
We had our Romantic Dinner here and it was pretty good. This is a higher end restaurant, well air conditioned, but portions are smaller but its the most fancy on the resort. I wasn't in love with the meal I had but it was not bad. The Creme Brulee was the highlight for me. Open for dinner only.

Lobster House:
This is an open air restaurant. Fans only. They also have a few tables with ocean view which we took advantage of for breakfasts and dinners. The Steamed and Grilled Lobsters with butter and garlic sauce are amazing. Not sure why some reviews say small lobsters....they are huge. The breakfast here I ate almost daily was the Mexican Breakfast ( huevos rancheros) which were amazing. Open for Breakfast and Dinner only.

The Grill:
Lunch I couldn't get enough of the sweet potato fries, club sandwich and zucchini soup. Delicious! For dinner the Filet Mignon was perfectly cooked to my request of med-rare and the sauce is amazing. Farmers Salad was great as well. This is an open air restaurant as well, fans only located next to Lobster House overlooking the pool. Open for Lunch and Dinner.

Las Olas:
Is an open air grill located on the beach. The view is amazing. You can get burgers, fries, hot dogs, pizza and they are open 12-4pm and everyday they have a special menu item such as ribs, paella, kabobs and more. Great for a quick bite for lunch.

Oregano:
You cannot leave without having a pizza from Oregano. Truely to die for and open until 2am. I am still craving it now. We never tried the rest of the menu due to our obsession with the pizza.

Toscana:
Fully air conditioned, Breakfast is buffet style breakfast plus an omlete, pancake and waffle making station is great. The omelet station staff will also make you eggs any way you want. Dinner at Toscana I have to say is the downfall of EPC. Oregano is great Italian. Toscana....I cannot recommended. All four of us did not like our food. My advixe would to let Oregano be the italian place and redo Toscana to be something else. This is literally the only thing we didnt like the entire trip.

Barcelona:
We ran out of days on our trip to try this place. Its fully air conditioned but we loved other places so much we went back to others twice before giving it a chance.

Room Service:
Room service is 24/7. However after 11:30pm until 5:30am it is a smaller menu of available items. We loved the fresh fruit as late night snack.

Maid Service:
Maid service comes between 9am and 5pm to clean. You can place do not disturb if you want them to come later or not at all. Mini bar service will also come refill anything you need and you can request certain items. I requested Apple juice and club soda and everyday they remebered. They will also come in later after 6pm for turn down service to leave a card with the next days weather report, chocolates and a schedule of events and activities for the following day.

Pool:
Don't miss the Crazy Games at 4:30 everyday. Its a blast! Floaties are grabbed up quickly but we never had a problem finding them as they usually are found at the far end of the pool by the Excellence Beach end past the swim up bar. You can always ask a pool concierge to help you find an open bed by the pool if you can't find one and they are glad to.

I have uploaded all our restaurant photos, meal photos, room photos and a video to help. Please feel free to message me with any questions.

Room Tip: Building 7,8,10,14 are best location for the middle of resort. Choose a high floor for best view and...
12 Thank TianaH370
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
First of all, allow us to thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you back at Excellence Punta Cana.

Thank you for the great review, it is very rewarding to read that your recent stay at Excellence Punta Cana was even better than the first one. We are pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodations, and enjoyable food & drinks in our restaurants and bars.

We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests but reviews like yours serve us to motivate us even more; we have forwarded your message to all our Department Managers.

We all look forward to welcome you on your third visit, and to provide you with another memorable experience.
Bflo, NY
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This resort was wonderful!...everything was all inclusive. The staff was eager to please. The service was great! The beach was beautiful as well as the resort pools. My favorite restaurant was Toscana for dinner. No reservations required for any meals. Great theme dinners on the beach. Nightly entertainment was fun..Several excursions available...free horseback riding on the beach was included. My only advice would be to make sure to bring everything you need as far as toiletries...sunscreen ..OTC meds such as aspirin or pepto bismol as it is very expensive to buy on the resort. My only complaint was the ride to and from the airport...it took over an hour and the vehicle wasn't air conditioned very well. But all in all I would do it all again. Just beautiful!

6 Thank NYflash
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I took 4 nights in early September this year at Excellence Punta Cana. The resort is beautiful, the food is excellent, and the nightly shows were really entertaining. 4 nights was not enough time to even try all of the restaurants at the resort. We got married honeymooned several years ago at a similarly priced resort in Jamaica and, although we will always treasure our memories from that, we were blown away by how much nicer Excellence is in so many ways. We upgraded to the Excellence Club and concluded it was worth it for the Excellence Club bar/dining room and the better beach beds. Plus the in room rum was excellent. I cannot recommend this resort enough!

3 Thank Meredith Z
Conroe, Texas, United States
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I just went to Punta Cana for the first time for our 5 years later honeymoon. We were there for 6 nights. It was utmost the best vacation we have ever had! The resort, service, employees, food, and of course the drinks were awesome! We have never felt so welcomed to a resort ever. We would like to especially point out a couple employees that made it extremely special for us.. Jose at martini bar, Nielson, Sonja, and Ivelisse!! We love you guys!! We enjoyed all the entertainment every night. The shows were very good! We met so people and all and all we just had soo much fun!! We are definitely going back again! Excellente!!!! :)

Room Tip: We had the junior suite with garden view. It was really nice! FYI -- the shower has a glass window t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Victoria S
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This hotel is absolutely fantastic (for the DR) with great restaurants, food, drink & service (always with a smile). Our room was big & scrupulously cleaned daily with a king size bed (very comfy), branded drinks & tea/coffee making facility. Nice balcony overlooking the gardens & pond/lake at the rear of the hotel - beautiful. The pool area is very clean with lots of beds available, however with one of the best beaches in the world we didn't use the pool too often. The hotel gardens were stunningly beautiful..

Favourite restaurants were the Spice, the French & the Lobster (where we were presented with a bottle of wine to take to our room) but the Italian also did a mean cannelloni & great pizza's.

The climate is superb & the hotel offers many activities & entertainments, so you can do as much or little as you like. The SAX player in the Martini bar was superb - a nice way to sip a cocktail or two !

On the downside, there were a few groups of noisy Americans who arrived towards the end of our stay whereas up until their arrival the hotel had been very tranquil & peaceful.

We were Excellence Club guests as it was our wedding anniversary but sad to say the 'Club' got it all wrong & was a complete waste of time - I certainly wouldn't pay extra for the so called 'privileges' & anniversary package provided.

The hour journey from airport to hotel wasn't great (be sure to book private transfers) as much of the road system doesn't appear to have changed since we were last in DR 20 years ago. To be fair they are building new roads so next year this may not be such a bumpy ride ! Also worth noting we got through the airport easily (both in/out) however on exiting the airport our Jumbo tours rep wasn't around & we had to fight off 'fraudsters' looking to get us to pay them $70/80 which they sais the hotel would refund (don't be fooled).

If you are planning on visiting the Dominican Republic this is the hotel I would highly recommend for you - really good value for money.

Room Tip: Room choice is dependent upon the individual but our Garden facing room 7210 on the second (top) flo...
4 Thank 74BJU
essex
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Just returned from Excellence Punta Cana, we have been to all three excellence resorts now and in my opinion Riviera Maya would be (1st) Playa Mujeres (2nd) and Punta Cana (3rd). If this was your first Excellence experience you would think it was fantastic, but I have to say the Mexican resorts are by far superior to this one. Don't get me wrong we had a lovely time, the beach was probably nicer than Playa Mujeres, and you could walk for miles either way. The sea was a lot calmer around the bay, away from the resort. We managed to get a free upgrade to beach front swim out (room 8004) as the cascade swim out rooms were not available. I would recommend this room, it was positioned at the far end of the deep pool, you had to swim under two bridges to get to it, as it was a dead end very few people explored it, which was great, like having your own pool. The food here was average, especially breakfast, the best restaurant was Che Isabella. In general the service everywhere in the resort is far more laid back. The entertainment team were great, they really went out of their way to interact with the guests, especially Marlon, and Sonia the waitress always greeted you with a beautiful smile. I would say this is probably the oldest resort out of the three and the rooms could certainly benefit a refurb. Having said all that we had a great time here with or friends Sara and George (who we met in playa Mujeres last year) we all have the same option, Excellence's in Mexico, really are excellent, if you are in two minds where to go take my advise and try Excellence Riviera Maya, you won't be disappointed, if fact you will probably have a tough time with future holidays finding one as good for similar price. I hope this review had helped in some way, have a lovely holiday wherever you go.

Room Tip: Room 8004, lovely location, end of terrace, ground floor swim out.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends