“Excellent Adult Only Dominican Experience at Excellence”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #14 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We just got back from an anniversary trip to the DR- our first. We did a ton of research before picking a resort. We have two kids and since our kids were not coming along we thought it would be nice to go to an adult only resort to remove any chance of my "mother hen" instincts even needing to kick in. A lot of resorts have adult only sections, but the whole place is not adult only. That is one of the reasons we decided on Excellence. Of course the high ratings was another. They did NOT disappoint. We would go back in a heartbeat if the opportunity arises again.

When we first arrived at the airport (after going through immigration, etc), one of the bellhop people grabbed our bags and asked us which company we were with. Ours was Olympus. He took us right to the company desk and we were taken to a bus. The ride to Excellence is a long one. It took about 1.5 hours. Part of this is that it is further away than other resorts and there is also a lot of road construction going on. There is a new road being built out to the resorts and a road being built to Santo Domingo. Upon arrival at the resort, we were greeted with champagne and a cool towel, sent to the front desk to check in and told our bags would be sent to our room. The rooms are really very nice. We LOVED the rain shower (but you can also switch it to a normal shower). The whirlpool tub was perfect. When we tried ours the second night, the cold didn't work and the hot and cold handles were switched. We called the front desk and a maintenance person was there in less than 5 minutes- fixed our tub and away he went with our tub working perfectly.
The grounds are gorgeous. We enjoyed many a relaxing evening walk. The beach is technically public property, so you do get approached by non staff occasionally, but it is not very much and they are not rude. The pools and beach were clean and well maintained. We never had any problem getting towels or two chairs next to each other. Floaties are a little harder to come by.
The staff is so friendly and helpful. For a lot of them, their english is limited so you may have to work a little to get them to understand, but not the main people with whom you need to interact. The only staff person we found less than friendly is the grill woman at Las Olas(the restaurant on the beach) and bartender at the Cielos bar- but as I told my husband- he spends his entire day pretty much by himself. There is way less staff to staff interaction in that more secluded area by the Cascade pool. In general you can't walk down the hallways without a number of "Holas."
We loved the evening shows. The acrobat show was really amazing and we loved the Excellence band. We didn't really participate in any of the on site daytime activities. We were only there for 4 full days and two of them we did excursions (the reef explorer excursion and the dune buggy excursion). The other two we relaxed, swam in both pools and beach, read, hung out, drank.
The food- We did not go there for 5* restaurant food. We did get that at Chez Izabelle for sure. I would say 4* at Barcelona. Breakfast at Toscana is mostly buffet. The buffet food was never super hot, but pretty yummy. They have omelet and eggs to order stations, meat and cheese, fruit, cereals. No way can you walk away unsatisfied.
Overall- we had an amazing time and would do it over again and again. That said- I hope to take my kids to one of the other resorts some time.

5  Thank Tracy L
There are newer reviews for Excellence Punta Cana

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We traveled to Excellence PC late May 2012. We read a lot of reviews and chose Excellence because it was "adults only" and had the big resort feel. We travel with another couple Overall I'd rank this property a strong 3.5-4 stars.

The Good:
-THE BEACH & pool- awesome beach; big and expansive!!!! The water is clear. Some say too rough but it's similar to anywhere else on the East Coat of the Atlantic (3' waves). Plus you can boogy board! The main pool is huge
-Lots of restaurant choices - Spice is best. Fried Ice Cream is a must try!
-The grounds were clean and well kept.
-The staff was really nice. There is a little english/spanish language barrier but it was not a big deal.
-The Spa was excellent and I highly recommend it.

The shortcomings:
-Though the food was good, 3 out of 4 of us became ill (stomach). We each were sick for a day of the vacation and at different times so this really put a damper on our plans.
-Building on the sickness part of the trip, we went to the store on the resort to pick up Immodium and no item had a price. I bought a pack for $10. 15 mins later, my friend walked down to buy THE SAME THING and the clerk tried to charge him $15 while I was standing there with him. Plus they wanted $30 for a $8 tube of sunscreen. RIP OFF.
-They let a high school graduation party invade the property - not sure if Excellence knew this was their plan before hand or not but the kids were REALLY ANNOYING (and our group is on the younger side too). The kids were too drunk and obnoxious to be on a luxury resort that holds high standards for excellence. Luckily they only stayed for about half our trip.
-The resort is way off the beaten path! Over an hour northwest of the airport which is not a big thing to us but the resort is in the middle of nowhere. BUMMER if you plan to do off resort activities - Bavaro seems to be a much better area for this and is reachable in 15-20 mins. If you plan to stay on resort - this may be a better option.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Michael M
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your review and providing us with this valuable feedback. We are very pleased to read that you generally enjoyed your stay with us. However, We were also disappointed to read that we fell short on your culinary and restaurant expectations. We take great pride in providing the freshest of ingredients and creating both simple and also creative dining experiences.

We apologize about your experience described as encountered with the youth group at the hotel. At Excellence Resorts we have behavior policies that must be followed and we do our best to achieve them.
Be sure that the appropriate departments had been addressed in order to avoid future inconvenients.

Nevertheless we do hope that despite the inconveniences you had through all your stay with us, you can give us the opportunity to welcome you again in order to have the chance to show you the real meaning of service that you expect from us.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was our second visit to Excellence Punta Cana. We were happy with our first visit. We were ecstatic with our second. The food was better, the service was better, and the employees were friendlier. Everyone went out of their way to make everything as perfect as possible. We enjoyed the open air dining more than the closed in restaurants. When we went to the beach after breakfast each morning, never a problem finding a chair or a palapa. There was NO reserving of chairs without people on them, which has been a big problem at resorts we visited in the past. The security personnel are serious about their jobs, which we appreciate. We were on hand for the changing of managers. Although we were sorry to see the former manager go as he did a wonderful job, the new manager seemed excited to try to improve even more. The only items we found to be not perfect - and not a big deal either - was the initial placement in a less desirable room, which was changed upon request, and we found all bartenders were not created equal, so we simply found the ones we preferred and ordered drinks from them. We are eager to return to Excellence Punta Cana for another wonderful and relaxing stay. Please note that the ratings below are incorrect. I simply could not get the website to complete the remaining spaces which would elevate the ratings. I would rate service and food excellent, the value very good the sleep quality very good, the cleanliness excellent, the location poor (only because of the distance/time from the airport), the rooms and beverage selection very good.

Room Tip: It seems normal to have a less than desirable room the first night or two of your stay, and then be...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Yucatan-Admirer
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Let me first say that we have been to the Dominican Republic five times including this trip. I feel as though we have a broad experience with the resorts there as well as all inclusive resorts in other countries. Having said that....this was THE best vacation to date. The resort property was beautiful, well groomed and tropical, of course. The beach was FANTASTIC! The restaurants and bars were fabulous and provided enough food and drink that we are still detoxing several days after arriving home! Can you find this at other resorts? Yes, you can. BUT, what you cannot find at other resorts is the service and attention they give you at EXCELLENCE!!

When we stepped off the transfer at the front steps of the resort we were greeted with a cold cloth and a glass of champagne. Now, this happens at other resorts as well, but what made this time so special was the "Welcome Home, My Friends" we were greeted with. Funny, we really did feel like we were coming home. The people at this resort make all the difference. From the reception desk, to the bartenders, to the hostess at breakfast, to the housekeeping staff, and of course, the entertainment staff....everyone remembers your name. No matter where we went on the property we felt like we were among friends and family. The staff goes out of their way to make your stay there a memorable one in every way! The entertainment staff: LUZ, JULIO(he loves his job!!!), CHELLY, KASSANDRA, and MARLON work so hard to make everyday a fun one. These people where absolutely the best! I'm sure their jobs are much like many of ours....they see so many people day in and day out that the guests MUST run together after a while, but you would never know it while you are there. They may not remember us, but we will remember them for a lifetime!

I simply cannot say a negative thing about this resort. I second all the other glowing reviews you will read on this site. I could type for days and not be able to express how much we enjoyed this experience with EXCELLENCE!!! Read the reviews, decide for yourselves....as for us....we will be returning: SOON!

6  Thank Anthony C
Reviewed August 30, 2013

After reading so many reviews both positive and negative, this resort certainly lived up to all the positive comments! I stayed at Excellence for 10 days, my first visit to the Dominican Republic and I'm sure it won't be my last!

The ride to the hotel is definitely not as bad as some reviews make out, yes it can take just over an hour with traffic and is a little bumpy over speed humps but if your used to the way some drivers drive around London, the way the Dominican drivers are no different. As soon we arrived at the resort, we were welcomed with a glass of sparkling wine and a smooth and quick check in. We arrived at night and the grounds were lit up beautifully, the surroundings were stunning! We upgrade at Excellence Club, and were offered a 15% discount as well as a choice of rooms. On our way to the room we were given a short tour by the concierge, who I must say has to be one of the most friendliest concierge I have ever met.

It was my birthday on the day we arrived and by the time we were taken to our garden view room building 12 in a quiet location, they had delivered a birthday cake with champagne, which was a lovely surprise. The room was very grand and spacious, yes the decor, furniture and fixings aren't as contemporary as some newer hotels but the room was clean, comfortable and kept well each day with the daily maid service. We did find a few cracks here and there, the mini bar fridge made a very load buzzing noise which kept us awake at night, the beds were very firm and a little unstable and the seats on the balcony were dated and broken, however this was nothing a few phone calls to the concierge or ear plugs wouldn't fix. Any problems, staff would deal with quickly. The mini bar, unfortunately for us was not re stocked daily, on a few times we called to the excellence club concierge because of this and they sent someone straight away. The night time turn down service was lovely, each night the maid would leave a newsletter explaining activities for the following day and two chocolates which were a nice touch.

There was plenty of choice for food, with 8 restaurants to choose from. The Buffet breakfast in Toscana was amazing, they served everything you could possible think off, cereals, fruits, meats, cheeses, breads, bagels, pancakes, waffles, omelettes, pastries you name it! They even have a drinks station where you can help your self to champagne or make your self a Bellini or Bloody Mary!
For lunch we either ate at las orlas on the beach which serves daily specials from the BBQ style grill or we were served stacks and pizzas on the excellence club beach or around the pool. I have never stayed in a hotel where waiters will bring you food to your sun lounger or where you can take away food from the restaurants in cartons to eat round the pool or beach at any time you like. This was excellent and made the holiday even more relaxing, not being restricted by choice or restaurant timings.
We found the food in the evening restaurants to be average. We tried all restaurants except Barcelona and the lobster house. In our opinion some restaurants were better than others in terms of service and food quality, our favourite being Toscana which served Italian style cuisine. Nothing was ever in-edible or un appealing although I didn't enjoy my meal at The French restaurant but that was simply down to my own taste.
We enjoyed having room service a couple of times, which was excellent and plenty of choice for all times if day. During our stay there was the Dominican Dinner, once by the beach which we didn't enjoy so much because of the wind and badly labelled buffet but the following week it was held in Toscana due to rain and we found this to be more enjoyable, the restaurant was set out like a feast and decorated beautifully.
We visited the sports bar a couple of times for ice creams, it is the only place during the day which serves ice cream so it's worth a trip. It is set away from the beach and pools near the tennis courts so many people didn't seem to go by that way so it was always very quiet. We also called by the excellence club daily a different times where they served various gourmet snacks.

The pool areas were lovely, clean and well kept surrounded by tropical plants. We used the excellence club beach a lot and it has to be said it was the most amazing beach I have seen, clear turquoise waters, white sand and palm trees, very picturesque and tranquil. There were waves, but I have to disagree with other reviews in saying the sea was too rough. People were able to walk out far enough to swim and what's a beach without a few waves?!
I am glad I upgraded to the excellence club simply for the beach and excellent service. The club beach is far better and well kept than non club. Comfortable beds with padded cushions, a beach concierge hut and wonderful staff which waited on you constantly. Whatever you needed the staff attended too. Gourmet snacks were bought round throughout the day, they had special cocktail making events at the beach for club members only and on occasions the spa staff would offer free back massages at your sun lounger. It was a truly relaxing and unforgettable experience!

There are plenty of activities and entertainment throughout the day for all to enjoy. The nightly shows were good to pass the time, some repetitive with similar dancing. We enjoyed the Michael Jackson and Taino shows the best. Even on an evening, service could not be faulted, staff constantly walked around the bar areas taking drinks orders. The cocktails were great and you name it you could have any premium brand liqueur or spirit, unlike many other all inclusive hotels I have stayed in.

The spa was also excellent, very tranquil and set within beautiful gardens. I used the spa twice for treatments, a pedicure and a seaweed wrap. We also received an aqua wellness session as part of the excellence club which included the use of the sauna, steam room and specialist showers, jacuzzi and pools as well as a head and shoulder massage. The spa may have been the best I've been too and not to be missed!

Overall we had such a wonderful time. Truly the most relaxing holiday I've been on. The staff were brilliant and could not have done enough for us! they go above and beyond to ensure you're enjoying your time there and really make the place what it is! there wasn't one member of staff from gardener, cleaner, maid, waiter to concierge who wouldn't walk past without a "hola".
The resort is a tropical paradise, beautiful grounds, gardens, wildlife and fantastic service!

This resort is rightly placed in Trip Advisors top 10 punta cana resorts and I would most definitely recommend it and visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main pool and lobby area are quieter and more peaceful.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Clb1986

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Punta Cana with all Trip Advisor Readers.

We are pleased to know that your birthday and relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & Excellence Club amenities. It was a delight to see you also experienced relaxing moments at our spa facilities. Moreover, we do appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Before and after we booked Excellence, I read LOTS of reviews about the resort, and they were really helpful. We just got back from our 45th anniversary trip there, so I hope I am able to help others considering Excellence. Bottom line: It was a great, relaxing vacation where you have lots of opportunities to participate in activities...or just enjoy the sun, surf and pampering!

SERVICE
The service is truly top-notch. All employees from the wait staff to the concierge, entertainment team and maid service are genuinely friendly, caring and service-oriented. When we arrived, the concierge saw that my husband was on crutches and immediately arranged for us to have a more centrally located room. As a result, we were steps away from the restaurants, pool and entertainment. Luz of the entertainment staff is so bubbly and enthusiastic that she is contagious!

GROUNDS AND ROOM
Our room was spacious and comfortable. It wasn't decorated yesterday, but it was clean and maintained well. We loved having our first-floor patio with the hammock. The room sometimes smelled strongly of insect repellant, but we know they have to get rid of bugs somehow. The supply of toiletries is very generous, and we liked the products. The room is serviced twice a day.

The grounds are clean and beautiful - flowers, plants, flamingos, parrots - all added to the ambiance.

ADULTS ONLY
While we love kids, it was fun to be at an adults-only facility where the pool wasn't filled with little ones and there was no crying in the restaurants. There were lots of couples enjoying their anniversary or honeymoon, and that made it even more special.

ENTERTAINMENT
I took advantage of yoga, fitness and Zumba classes. (Thanks Michael!) All were taught by competent, fun teachers. We enjoyed the circus show; there were some incredible acrobats. We went to a couple of the other shows, but they didn't particularly "wow" us.

FOOD
SPICE: Enjoyed the appetizers and fried ice cream dessert. Main courses were fair.
CHEZ ISABELLE: Great ambiance, food and service. We chose to have our special anniversary dinner there, and it was wonderful! Our own bottle of champagne, rose petals on the table, a special menu printed with our name and lots of attention from the wait staff made it a great evening. The steak was superb.
GRILL: Our worst meal of the trip was breakfast at the Grill. We waited over 1/2 hour for our eggs, and my husband's came cold with eggshell included. Dinner at the Grill was a much better experience.
LOBSTER HOUSE: I loved the steamed lobster. Desserts left something to be desired.
BARCELONA: Excellent tapas and great lobster. Desserts were better here than some of the other restaurants.
TOSCANA: WE never ate there for dinner, but the breakfast buffet had lots of choices. Make sure and have your custom omelet. Pastries are so-so.
BARS: All the bars have friendly, competent staff, and we enjoyed all the drinks. Especially liked the Coco Loco.
ROOM SERVICE: Timely service and tasty breakfast and lunch offerings.

SPA
I had a massage at the spa, and it was delightful. The hydrotherapy treatment is awesome, and I only wish I had know more about it so I had schedule more time to enjoy it after my massage. They should consider offering the hydrotherapy room as a separate deal.

POOLS
The pools are beautiful and well-kept. The cascade pool is quieter, and I was actually able to do laps in the morning. Occasionally, depending on the time of day, the towels haven't been restocked. I never had trouble getting a floatie when I wanted one.

BEACH
The water was a bit rough when we were there, but it's fun to wade. Lifeguards are vigilantly watching the guests. We generally could find a palapa so we could sit in the shade.

DRIVE
Lots of people complain about the drive, and it is some distance from the airport to the hotel. The driving is definitely a bit crazy, but minor in the big scheme of things.

OTHER
We found other guests to be friendly and courteous. People treated each other with respect and kindness.

All in all a wonderful, memorable vacation!

16  Thank msalty

First of all we would like to thank you for the time that you have invested in sharing your experience during your stay in our hotel, we are glad to know that you endorsed our property highly.

It is a pleasure to know that you chose us as hosts of your 45th wedding anniversary and that we were able to exceed your expectations making of this celebration a unique and memorable experience.

We are pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, hotel grounds, spa services, and enjoyable food & drinks in our restaurants and bars.
On the other hand, your valuable feedback regarding your breakfast at The Grill restaurant will certainly be shared with the hotel management for its proper follow up.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We went to Excellence Punta Cana for our honeymoon and it was amazing. As soon as we pulled in they poured us a glass of champagne. The food and drinks were great, the beach was gorgeous, and the staff was extremely nice and catered to our every need. When we wanted to explore, Diego set us up on the Dune Buggie trip through town. We had a blast and even got to check out a cave. We got a true feel for the Dominican Republic and felt safe the whole time. Our favorite bar was "Martini," but the bartenders at every bar were very knowledgeable and made drinks better than they do in the states. My husband is still raving that they made the best martinis. We read some reviews about the food being below average, but we loved it. It was really nice to go to dinner whenever we wanted without having to make reservations. Room service was quick and still hot when it arrived. The coffee was amazing!!! We ate lunch everyday on the beach, too! The beach was quiet, clean, and a great place to relax. The Tiki huts were key! Every night they put on a show, which were all awesome! Our room was very nice and clean. They cleaned it every morning and turned our bed down every night. Overall, it was the best vacation we have ever had and we can't wait to go back!! Simply SUPER EXCELENTE!

7  Thank Ashley B