“Can't wait to go back!”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana

Hola all,

We travel frequently (4-5 trips/year) and have been to the Excellence RC as a comparison (hence the 4 star rating instead of 5). We stayed for 14 days in July. As an Excellence resort I probably should rate it a 3 star (compared to ERC), however if this is your first Excellence experience it is definitely 4-5 stars.

Arrival: The drive from the airport was just fine. I normally do not comment on the transfer from the airport, since everybody seems to, I thought I would throw my two cents in. It's just fine! The roads are fine! It's about an hour long, sit back and enjoy the free tour. Once we arrived we were greeted with the customary champagne, cool towel and "welcome home". We had emailed prior to arriving and got the exact room description we requested (top floor, corner unit, quiet).

Rooms: Okay, the good/great stuff first...

Rooms are large with a firm king bed, jacuzzi tub, lovely shower and balcony. Rooms come equipped with a full mini bar (stoli vodka, jim beam, beefeater gin, dark barcelo rum, red and white wine, presidente, presidente light, coors lights and various pop and juices). The room is equipped with shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc so if you're not picky about product, a lot of room and weight is saved in your suitcase as you don't have to bring these items. The room was always made up before we returned around 4:00 daily.

Not so great stuff...

The bedding is very dated and quite gross. Many resorts (not just Excellence) have upgraded to white duvets and it's way overdue here. Also, we didn't have blackout curtains on our sliding glass doors and no way to turn off our balcony light. The light was on a timer and shut off around 11:30 which made the room a weird orange colour when we were trying to fall asleep (early to bed, early to rise type folks that we are). The mini bar was not restocked consistently. We would leave a note, some money, etc. inside the fridge and sometimes got what we requested.

Service: The service was truly hit or miss. Some staff were truly excellent, however they were the minority (Rosemari, Angel, Juan at Sol were excellente!) Service at all of the restaurants was inattentive. We would have to ask for an initial drink most nights (wine should just be offered right away, as should any additional beverage) and then there was very little chance of having your glass refilled. We are beach people and many days did not get beach service at all. The maximum we ever saw a beach waiter was twice a day...total...for the entire day! The water sports centre was the worst I have seen. The gentlemen that work there are not wearing swimming trunks, have no interest in getting up from watching youtube videos on their laptop to help you and we saw many guests getting turned away from renting equipment because they couldn't be bothered to get up and help. The bars also seemed to be understaffed. We stopped going to Cafe Kafe during the day as it appeared you were ignored. The staff was busy (many of them pool wait staff preparing drinks to be returned to waiting guests) and nobody appeared to be a bartender to serve the guests waiting at the bar. We would wait upwards of 10 minutes and just stopped even trying at this bar and headed to Sol.

Food: The food was very good. We ate breakfast daily at Toscana (the buffet) and had lunch everyday, but one, as well at Toscana. The variety and food quality was very good. We tried lunch one day at the grill and did not return. Service was slow (again, we had to ask for a drink other than water) and the meal was only okay. Dinner was very good every night. Our favourite meals were Chez Isabelle, Agave and Spice. We did not try the Grill or Lobster House. We were pleasantly surprised by Oregano on our final night and wished we had tried it earlier in our trip. We didn't try the room service.

Pool/Beach/Grounds: This is what will keep me coming back again and again! We are beach people, so can't comment too much on the pools except they sparkled and looked very clean and inviting. The pool area near the volleyball net got very noisy. The activities staff blared music all day and this is not something I've experienced at any adults only resort before, let alone an Excellence resort. This was a major turn off for us as we could hear the "thumpa thumpa" on the beach. The beach is absolutely gorgeous. You can walk forever on it and stop for a swim wherever you like. There are waves directly in front of the resort. Some days the waves were huge, other days they were small. If you walk to the left or right of the resort and just out of the cove the hotel is situated in you will find calm and clear water. There are a ton of chair and pallapas. Here is the thing though, many of the chairs desperately needed to be restrung as they were so saggy you had to shop around to find one taught enough so you weren't sitting on the plastic legs. Again, a lot of little things that doesn't earn this resort a 5 star rating from us.

One of the main reasons I can't wait to return to this resort is the grounds. There is a nature trail on the resort property that is home to numerous wildlife. I absolutely fell in love with the red parrot. I think I visited her 4 times and day and ask if you go to this resort to please bring her some yogurt in the morning (Roberto the GM...who is also fantastic) recommended it as one of her favourites. Also, there is a few almond trees around. If you can collect the almonds (they looks like yellow plumbs???) and bring them to the parrots they will gobble them up. You can hand feed the parrots, put them on your arm, talk to them, etc. I just loved this experience and can't wait to return to see them. They also enjoy apples and watermelon :)

In the evenings we enjoyed the sports bar (best beer selection, table tennis and pool), visited the casino and saw a few of the shows. Everything was great and very relaxing.

The moral of this long story...The resort is great and will be our new home in Punta Cana. Don't hesitate booking this place. It's clean, luxurious and the beach is gorgeous. A few things here and there never bothers us on vacation and they certainly didn't bother us here.

3  Thank playalover78
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Punta Cana with all Trip Advisor Readers.

It is truly rewarding that your stay with us was wonderful and that you were pleased with our food quality and the excellent service provided by our staff.

We will be absolutely looking forward to your next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (13,665)

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We just got back from our annual summer vacation where we like to try new places and explore new tropical resorts. We weren't disappointed by the Excellence Resort. The resort was beautifully landscaped and modern (the pictures on the website don't do it justice....we were surprised at how modern the lobby, rooms and restaurants were). The staff was absolutely amazing. They were fun, personable, resourceful and full of information. We were surprised that by day two they already knew who we were and seemed genuinely excited to see us. The beauty of this all inclusive experience is that you can do as little or as much as you want. All of the resort activities were well run and well attended by the guests. But, if you wanted to just relax and escape undisturbed, you could have that time too. The beach and lounge beds/chairs on it made that escape possible. As for the food, we especially enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Toscana every morning, dinner at Chez Isabelle and Oregeno and the Circus show that occurred midweek during our stay. Special kudos go out to staff members Reynaldo, Adan, Ruz and Kassandra. I highly recommend this trip to anyone looking for a quiet, adult-only, luxury experience!

3  Thank Kristen M
Reviewed August 5, 2013

6 of us traveled July 27 - August 3rd for a fantastic family vacation/50th birthday celebration.

1. Airport: complain if you will, but Punta Cana has Cancun beat hands down. We contacted the resort ahead of time and arranged for a taxi to transport all of us to the resort. We were packed in like sardines, 6 people and lots of luggage, one driver....all in a minivan. We asked the driver to stop for "cerveza". We delightfully rode the rest of the way drinking quart sized Presidente beer clad in paper bags---my 18 year old nephew's first legal drink. PRICELESS. Many complain about the ride---I looked at it as an adventure...sight seeing at its finest.

2. We were greeting graciously with the customary champagne and cool towel....as we all spilled out of the van, like circus clowns out of a beetle. Abraham gathered our bags and dubbed us the Smith's and the Little Smiths (referencing my very tall nephews). Check in was a breeze...we were taken to the Excellence Club for our private check-in. Let the party begin!

3. Our rooms, while slightly dated, they were spacious and comfortable. The bed is hard--make no mistake, but you can request a pillow top or two be added. Worth noting, the couch is fabulously comfortable--I actually slept there a few times. Great bar area with full size bottles of liquor. I never drank them....I enjoyed the libations in the fridge---glass bottles of coke. We also had a never ending supply of crackers, cookies, and peanuts. The bathroom...one large sink. It was odd, but it worked. Odd configuration for the toilet and shower, but it never bothered us. The shower...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG---it was a rain shower with fantastic water pressure and an incredible hand held shower. We enjoyed an ocean view along with a fantastic pool view. It was too humid to really spend any time on the porch, but the view was incredible.

4. The beach: Clean and wide. Beautiful sand. Plenty of chairs. We played the game--we wanted one of the wonderful palapa beds, so we put our stuff out around 8 am. Everyone makes a big deal over the red flag and the "rough waves"....if you have ever been to a NJ beach or even the Outer Banks of NC....the water here is no different except you can see your feet and there are no hypodermic needles. We had one day where we couldn't go out too far because of the undertow. Side note: we took a catamaran excursion from the Bavaro Beach area. I am so glad that wasn't our beach. They swam in a roped off section of the ocean NO waves. And they had to contend with all of the boats, speed boats, and parasailing. Excellence has the prime location. The beautiful woman from Texas who sunbathed topless was a treat for everyone. LOL! Yeurlin, our beach waiter, was FANTASTIC. He took amazing care of us. And every day, the pizza man would come delivering pizza to us on the beach. Does it get any better????? Yes......

5. The pool: The pool is beautiful and GINORMOUS. The active crowd was in the main pool, the wild party crowd was at the pool bar, we hung out near our building (10) and the zero entry. Jonathan was a pool waiter. Oh how I love Jonathan. Cutest little impish grin and he whistles like a bird. He knew exactly what we drank and kept it coming. He was AWESOME. He even made a point of finding us to say good-bye. THAT meant something to all of us. We made wonderful friends just hanging out by the pool. FLOATS: I will agree, not enough floats to go around. We knew that before we arrived and packed floats in our bag. Honestly, it all worked out great and we met folks over float discussions. Not a big deal.

6. Food: It was yummy. You have to maintain a certain perspective. You are in a vastly different country. Things just aren't going to taste the same. And just because they slap a name on it, doesn't mean that it was translated properly. My favorite restaurant was Chez Isabelle. We also enjoyed Toscano, Agave, Spice and The Grill. My least favorite was Lobster House. Again---perspective---I enjoy large shrimp and Maine lobster. They had small shrimp and rock lobster that seemed tough to me. Others loved it. The breakfast buffet was vast and diversified. Truly something for everyone.

7. Excellence Club: Totally worth it to us. Melvin ran the show at night. He was beyond amazing. We wandered in there for breakfast (before taking in the buffet at Toscana), stopped in for afternoon snacks, and gathered there before we went to dinner. The food at the club was amazing. I'm still dreaming about the gorgonzola mousse with pears. The chocolate reception was SINFUL. Proof of how wonderful they are: we were going on the catamaran excursion and anticipated missing lunch, so we stopped in and packed take out containers (always available) to go. They wrapped them in saran wrap for me so there would be no leakage. They always without fail were willing to go the extra mile to make things fantastic for us.

8. Entertainment: Michael Jackson...WOW. Clearly there is a talented entertainment team. Look, we aren't in Vegas, so I am not expecting a Vegas show. What they presented was head and shoulders above anything I would expect. I generally was too tired after a day of drinking in the sun and eating dinner to take in the entertainment, but my family thoroughly enjoyed themselves. My 18 year old nephew cut his teeth playing blackjack in the small casino; he walked away the victor. I was not so fortunate. ;-)

9. Staff: One thing was patently evident: they strived to do whatever they could do to help you. If you needed something/wanted something, all you had to do was ask and they moved heaven and earth to accomodate. Emely made sure of that.

Would I come back? You betcha. We wanted a relaxed vacation...drinking and floating. No tripping over other people's kids. A certain amount of luxury without the pomp and circumstance. Excellence Punta Cana fit the bill for my family.

Room Tip: LOVED building 10 in the Excellence Club.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank LCSmith224

Thank you very much for taking the time of sharing your experience with us. It is a pleasure to know that you chose us as hosts of recent family vacation and that we were able to exceed your expectations.

Moreover, thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to the food & drinks quality encountered, evening entertainment with special mention of the Michael Jackson show, and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs. Please be sure that Yerlin will receive your kind greetings!

We are looking forward to having you as our guests again and make every effort to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

What an incredible week we had as a big family group that went to celebrate birthdays and graduations! We were there the week of 7/27 -8/3.
Airport- Open air, music playing..you are taken from the tarmac by trolleys/bus to the reception. Have your $10 ready! Then over to Customs, pick up your luggage,and you are outside. The whole process took about 1 hour. We did arrange for private transportation, and I'm thankful for that. We asked our driver to stop enroute for a beverage, so we all enjoyed a tall beer enroute.
The roads- While they are constructing the highway, ( which your $10 admit fee is paying for) you will traverse through some highway, some country roads and small towns. Driving is for the fearless!! It gives you, as a visitor, some really good perspective. Yes, it's a bit hairy- coming from a country that has driving laws, but I wasn't really concerned. You share the road with lots of motorbikes, trucks, buses, the occasional horse or dog. The views of the mountains are beautiful. I would suggest looking at the scenery versus the roads if you are nervous!
The resort- WOW!!!! The champagne, the towel, the 'welcome home', the resort itself - all beautiful!!! It is impeccably maintained. We always saw people working on the property. We didn't see a piece of litter until we went off the resort!!
We stayed in rooms 10110( ocean view-second floor), 10115(mountain/garden view- second floor) and 10202(ocean view- third floor). All of our rooms were lovely and well appointed. We had maid service twice a day, mini bar service daily. We had roses and towel creations every day. They even surprised the birthday celebrant with balloons and a cake! We always had fresh towels in the room. The beds were firm, but comfortable. The a/c was fine. It wasn't a meat locker, and it was a noticeable difference when entering from outside. The younger members LOVED the room service!! It was prompt and hot every time they used it ( which was EVERY DAY!). We upgraded to the Excellence Club , and felt that it was well worth it!! Being able to pop by for a quick breakfast or a snack - a drink - a place to simply relax and meet up. The service there, and especially Melvin , was exemplary!! We had Internet throughout our rooms and in the Excellence Club. We also appreciated the expedited check in. We were in our rooms within 15 minutes. We did change one room ( from 10112 to 10115) as it had a musty odor. This was accomplished without ONE issue. They immediately came up- offered the youngers a choice of three other rooms) and even offered to move their belongings over for them. Muy Excellente!!
The pools and the beach - each had their own vibe, so we switched from day to day. The waves were fine, no biggie for us East coasters. Plenty of chairs - LOVED the beds that were covered. We had great bar service. We loved Inza in the mornings, who came around with little treats. We were offered pizza every day. Yerlin at the beach was fantastico!!! Jonathan at the pool--- fantastico!! A smile, a bird call- that's him. We voted to take him and Yerlin home with us. They were great, simply great!! Toro Blanco was quite pleased with his constant beer refill!! Plenty of beach towels, though we were glad that we bought floats down with us, as sadly, people did hoard them. The swim up bar was for the party people, the main pool, by the lobby, was great for exercise, visiting, water volleyball and games. You could be as busy as you wanted or simply relax under the shade chairs.
The food - we had no issues with the food. This is not a five star dining experience! This is the Domincan spin on food. It was all edible, really!! We dined at the Grill, the Lobster House, Chez Isabelle, Spice, Agave and Tuscano. We all had our favorites. Members of our party went to Tuscano for breakfast and really enjoyed it. We liked the beach vibe at the Beach grill, as you could just put on a coverup or tshirt and walk in ( no one wanted to waste pool/beach time by changing for lunch). The Domican dinner was great!! An opportunity for you to think outside your burgers and fries.
Two of our group did the dune buggys and had a great time. They took candies for the kids, and were discouraged from giving them money. Their guide said that it encourages begging when they should be going to school (great job!). One of our group did the Catalina dive trip and had a super day. His guide was informative and knowledgeable. We took the snorkeling catamaran trip, which was okay. We didn't sail and went to a crowded snorkeling area and the Natural pool, which was also crowded. It was enjoyable, just not what we expected. It DID, however, make us very appreciative of where we were staying!! The Bravaro area is resort upon resort...akin to Myrtle Beach..with speed boats, parasailing,tubing, banana tube rides, etc. every where you looked. The resorts down there actually had to rope in their swimmers due to the amount of water traffic.
Etc - Etc
We suggest buying some cheap floats for the pool. They are yours, you don't have to hunt around for loungers and you can leave them there when you go home. Bring plenty of sun screen!! We brought #30 with us, and were glad we did!! Skip the ultra high heels and opt for dressy sandals. The tile floors are slippery, especially when wet. They spray daily for Mosquitos, but bring some bug spray with you. We only needed it for one night. If you are a light sleeper, bring a sound machine with you. The configuration of the buildings has an atrium in the middle of a triangle. The noise from other people walking to their rooms, slamming doors, etc. can startle you. Upgrade to the Excellence Club! The water therapy treatment that came with the Excellence Club was fun!! We had a great time at the Michael Jackson and Dominican review. Other folks said that the other shows were also enjoyable. The longest we waited for a table (six to a party) was 10 minutes. Please bear in mind that the majority of the people working there are working 14 days on, three days off and stay in dormitorys on site. They work very hard to make your experience a good one. Cut them some slack!!! I know I wouldn't want to work 14 days in a row - would you??? We saw- time and time again - no change in treatment from the people that tipped and those that didn't. It's a personal choice. Considering how hard these folks work to make YOUR experience better? Why not give them a tip?

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Rudibee

It is our pleasure to know that our Resort exceeded your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to the relaxing treatments offered at our spa, the food & drinks quality encountered, the service provided by our staff members, and the evening entertainment with special mention of the Michael Jackson show and the Domincan night. Allow us to confirm that Yerwill be congratulated for the excellent service provided.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Travel dates 7/26 - 8/4... Long review.

One of our favorite things about this resort is the diversity. We are a lesbian couple in our early/mid 30's and saw all types of couples, gay, lesbian, black, white, Asian, younger, older... everything. This may very well be thee most diverse resort we've ever been to and we travel 4-5 star resorts very regularly.

Travel - Punta Cana airport was very busy and slooowwww... I felt it was a bit unorganized this trip (we've been to Punta Cana before) After going through customs we found the private car we reserved prior to the trip through Dominican Airport Transfers. The trip was an hour on the dot with no stops. The roads had a lot of twists and turns, wasn't scary or anything, just felt really long. It was very interesting to see the countryside.

Arrival - Upon arrival we received two glasses of champagne with cool towels. Check in was a breeze and we were in our room within 15 minutes of arrival. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary so there was a bottle of champagne and fruit in the room waiting for us.

Room - We stayed on the ground floor building 11 room 11008 which was very quiet with a beautiful garden and pond view. The patio had a table with two chairs and a hammock. The room seemed a little dated but they do their best to keep things clean and polished. The beds were a bit hard, didn't request the pillow top though because it was tolerable for me and my spouse. The rain shower was amazing and the jacuzzi tub was lovely as well. The bar was fully stocked with booze and if there was something you wanted and didn't see just ask and they'll bring it to you. The fridge had waters and sodas and snacks were provided and refilled daily.

Resort - Very large with tons of space and things to do. You will see staff constantly cleaning throughout the day. Everything outside of the restaurants are open air, meaning outdoors in very muggy and hot weather. Needless to say we were constantly wiping sweat off of our foreheads. The nightly shows were a bit cheesy but cool to watch to pass some time. The Michael Jackson show was really cool.

Service - Where to start... okay, overall the service was very good. The housekeepers were very thorough and consistent. We received turn down service every night along with mints/chocolates and a bottle of water on our night stand. The staff for the most part was very friendly, greeting you with smile and Hola, asking if there's anything you need, pulling chairs out, constantly refilling our glasses and being really engaging. We did experience some lousy service with certain staff members who did not speak, looked away when spoken to and continuously bypassed us laying pool side when we wanted to order drinks. On several separate occasions the bartender took orders from others around us, and did not acknowledge us until we called him over. Now, we tipped heavily. So tipping wasn't the issue, the only thing I could chalk it up to was color. Shout out to the staff who went above and beyond for us like Jose Manual, Rosemarie at the buffet, Emely, Antonio, Marlon, Domingo and Jesus!!! Thanks so much for making our vacation spectacular!!!

Beach/Pool - AMAZING! We spent most of our time by one of the pools, however the beach was gorgeous. We didn't swim in the beach waters because it was very choppy. The whole time we were there the red flags flying. But it's nice to just sit in lounge chair and watch the waves. You won't have a problem getting a chair, shaded or not. We were there when the resort was at 80% capacity and didn't get up early once for a seat.

Food - Yeah, like the other reviews have stated food is not the greatest. There is a buffet for breakfast and lunch but no buffet for dinner. For dinner you have to go to one of the restaurants. You do not need reservations for the restaurants which is nice. The breakfast buffet was the best. Lunch was spotty. Most times I didn't find anything worth eating and I'm not a picky eater. For lunch the beach grill is an option as well. They have burgers, nachos and pizza. My favorite restaurant was Chez Isabelle and Spice. The lobster house was good as well.

My cons to this trip was 1. Toooooooo many mosquitoes, the first night my s/o killed 15 in our room. These things are everywhere, we saw exterminators on a daily basis but that didn't help much. We went through 2 cans of OFF and still had to buy another one. The resort should really do something more about the problem and/or provide free OFF to guests 2. Everything is outdoors which made being outside the room on humid nights difficult and sweaty and more likely you'll get bitten up. 3. The food needs a serious upgrade, new chef, more variety...etc

We would return because it's a beautiful resort but not anytime soon. Hopefully by that point the roads will be upgraded and the food at the resort will be a little better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kami11213

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable.

On the other hand, we deeply regret the Caribbean weather didn’t suit your expectations as many other guests find very pleasant being in a open area while enjoying warm weather. As per the mosquitoes, we are not looking to dismiss your review but we would like to explain, that we have a complete program of fumigation throughout all the hotel areas, including our guest rooms, but as you know the hotel is located in a tropical area so mother nature sometimes does not allow us to have the same environment that you find on a city hotel.

Allow us to apologize for not being able to meet your expectations in the area of food and beverage. Our Food & Beverage Manager and our Executive Chef have received your feedback and are working on improvements to guarantee our guest the best quality possible.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to present you the improvements made due to your valuable feedback

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was our second stay with the Excellence Group Resort but our first stay at the Punta Cana Resort. Prior to our stay at the Punta Cana resort, we had visited the Excellence Resort in Cancun. We absolutely loved how spread out the resort was compared to the resort in Cancun where we felt it was more condensed. The ride from the airport to the hotel was pretty lengthy and consisted of many turns and unnecessary speed bumps. If you are prone to getting motion sick, I highly recommend taking Bonine or Dramamine after the plane lands. Customer service at the resort was exceptional. Two particular individuals elevated our satisfaction with how well our vacation turned out. Jose Mota-Sterling, a beach bartender during the day, was phenomenal and made us feel as though we were at home. Not only did he go out of his way to always say hello and ask about our stay each time he saw us but he also was quick in his service and went out of his way to ensure that we stayed hydrated with water while out at the beach. He was the most friendly bartender we met around the resort and many guests appeared to enjoy his addictive personality. The second bartender we met was Jose's son, Juan Jose Mota-Sterling. He works at the sports bar, which is a hidden gem. Many guests at the resort don't seem to know or visit this bar but once we had discovered it, it became a frequent stop for us. Juan Jose was also super friendly and went out of his way to ensure we had excellent service. He introduced us to several different Dominican beers, our favorite being Numero Uno. The sports bar is the only spot during the day where you can try different beers other than Presidente. Presidente is the main beer that is served at all of the bars. Budweiser. At night, however, you can order these beers from the bar near the stage where the show occurs. We were very impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel. Our room was always made up in a very timely manner and the maids were very accommodating for anything we requested. The only thing we did not like was how often they used the fog machine to rid the property of mosquitos. Usually this happened late in the afternoon at least two times a week. We did, however, appreciate that the hotel maids would clean the hallway floors each morning to get rid of all of the mosquitos. The food at the resort ranged from good to "super excellente". My husband and I both loved Chez Isabelle and Oregano the best. The biggest con about the entire resort was our bed. The bed we slept in felt like we were sleeping on the floor. It did not have a box spring and was just a mattress laying across wooden boards. Many other couples that we met had similar complaints. Approximately, half way through the trip we learned that you could order a pillow top for your mattress. This was a thin layer of foam that they put on top of your mattress. The pillow top made no difference. I would request several of them if your bed is uncomfortable. Each morning both my husband and I felt as though we had sore shoulders and pinched nerves in our back from how stiff the bed was. My creative recommendation to solve this problem is to steal a raft from the pool. put it on top of your mattress and sleep on that.

1  Thank Kristen M

First of all, allow us to thank you for giving us the opportunity to be the host of your recent vacation in the Dominican Republic.

It is very rewarding to read that your recent stay at Excellence Punta Cana was of your satisfaction. Please be sure that Jose and Jose Juan have been already congratulated for providing you an excellent service during your stay.

Regarding the comfort of the mattress, we appreciate your feedback, since it help us to identify the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was my second trip to the D.R. and frankly I'm over the country as a whole at this point.

Service:
The service was atrocious. Apparently the staff believes that lying to the guests is acceptable and that the guests are too stupid to know otherwise. The mini bar service is non-existent; even though the guest welcome book in the room tells you to call any time for service or to exchange any of your beverages for something else… this is not the case. I called multiple times and was told, “you only get mini bar service once a day”. I was there 4 days and NEVER received mini bar service. After multiple calls I was finally told someone would be up to service the mini bar; no one ever showed up!!! The wait staff for the bar & pool lied several times about being out of drinks or not being able to get a certain drink except in your room. One time I ordered a Coors Light (I was 20 feet from the bar) and the waitress, 20 min after taking our order, informed us that they were out so she brought us something else. I walked up to the bar and asked for a Coors Light and the bartender handed me one! I’m pretty sure she didn’t bother checking considering I followed her back to the bar and ordered the Coors Light from the bartender. Another time I ordered a drink at the pool and was told I could only get it in my room. I informed the waiter that that was not true as I had just ordered the drink at the bar. At which point he made sure I knew it wasn’t the bar he uses so I could not get one! When they did “clean” our room, I will use that term loosely, they never left fresh towel even though they took the dirty ones. So every day I had to call for towels and wait over an hour for them to be brought to the room. At one of the restaurants we were seated and brought one menu; there were 2 of us. I asked for another menu, the waiter left and came back 10 min later to inform me that there were no more menus. However, I could see the hostess leaning (literally leaning) on a stack of menus and I know they were the same menu because it was the stack she was grabbing menus off of for other guests as they came in the restaurant. As well I was informed that they were out of sweet potato fries when I ordered them. After the waiter left I watched them dish out sweet potato fries on other peoples plates (that ordered after I did)!!!! If you tip them it won’t change how crappy your service is; it will most likely get worse. I tipped them very well and every time I did I was treated worse and worse.

Room:
The first room was filled with Ants!!! I called 3 times the first day to have the issue fixed and every time I was told, “someone will be right there to fix the problem”. No one EVER showed up to fix the problem. After the third time I demanded a new room… The staff wasn’t too pleased with this and tried to make it difficult for me to change rooms. I ensured my room was changed. Oh I almost forgot, the hot water quit working and they didn't feel the need to inform the guests. When I did call I was first hung up on & then when I called back to inform the staff about the water I was treated very poorly and basically told that they know and didn't care! The beds are like bricks too.

Food:
Disgusting!!! Road kill would probably taste better. Don’t order any of the seafood because you can literally taste yourself getting sick as you eat it; I spit it out!!! All the other food was far from edible. The only thing worth eating was the baked Alaska and the pizza; though the pizza had no flavor what so ever; but at least you wouldn’t get sick from it.

The Drive:
If you get car sick good luck. That’s about all I can say… it’s a long ride from Punta Cana and it’s a rough road. I had no problems with this but it’s fair warning. The drive is about an hour from the Airport.

Beach/Pool:
The ONLY good thing about this resort! The pool was a little warm (bath water temp) but otherwise it was clean and nice. The beach is beautiful but don’t go down there after dark because you will get chased off by the guards carrying guns!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
18  Thank Corey Y

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your experience with us.
We deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food, service and facilities.

We are very much concerned by your review and the disappointments you faced during your stay, specially since our staff is highly recognized for its amiable and professional service.
We are also saddened to know that you that you were not happy with the food quality, and although we respect everybody’s opinion, we offer an apologize to all the Trip Advisor readers bothered by the description of the food on this review.

We will forward your comments and suggestions to the above mentioned departments as your feedback is very important to us since it helps us improve on a daily basis.
Nevertheless we do hope that despite the inconveniences you had through all your stay with us, you can give us the opportunity to welcome you again in order to have the chance to show you the real meaning of service that you expect from us.