“Loved this resort!”

Ranked #14 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Denville, New Jersey
“Loved this resort!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Had a beautiful trip. My husband and I went there July 13, 2013. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. We upgraded to the Excellence Club. Can't quite decide if it was worth the money. Think we'd have just as good of a time without the upgrade, although the private beach, pool and lounge was very nice! The resort was beautiful, our suite was gorgeous and very clean. The staff is nothing short of amazing! Antonio made our beach experience beautiful! The food was amazingly great!! My husband is a very "meat and potatoes" kind of guy, so I was nervous if he was going to like the food. He loved it! Their chefs are amazing. I'd return to any Excellence Resort. My only issue (reason why it didn't get 5 stars) was the Excellence Club Concierge. They forgot my flowers (my husband ordered them special for me). And when we tried to book our horseback riding (came free with the upgrade), they didn't have the day/time we wanted. So, the concierge fell a bit short of our expectations. But overall, Excellence was a beautiful place.

Room Tip: Recommend the Junior Swim Up Suite. Building 11001 (if you upgrade to Club)
7 Thank Lori D
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Punta Cana, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for choosing Excellence Punta Cana to celebrate such special occasion as your 25th wedding anniversary. It is a pleasure to know that we had the opportunity to host such memorable experience. Moreover, thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to the quality of food & drinks encountered and the courteous attention of our staff. We do apologize for the flowers incident and if we failed to provide the quality service that Excellence Resorts is highly known for. We would be grateful to have the opportunity to welcome you back again to provide you an even better Excellence experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,602)
  • Korean first
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We did enjoy the resort, but we were disappointed in the food. We met a few other people that had been there before and said the food use to be much better. Not sure if because it was off season the didn't try as hard or what but the grill and the lobster house were big disappointments.
We also did the dune buggy tour which is pretty much just a tour to get you to more vendors who try to get you to buy stuff.

Room Tip: The rooms are clean but very old
2 Thank kscmomof4
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is our regret that we couldn’t exceed your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food and the drinks.
We also can assure you that every constructive criticism you’ve shared with us has been taken very seriously by our team in order to keep standards, expected by our guests on the highest level, ensuring your satisfaction.
Thank you once again for taking time to give us your opinion. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and provide you the memorable and relaxing experience you deserve.
St. Louis
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Some restaurants were better than others. We really liked Spice (Pan-Asian) and Lobster House (lobster and seafood). The Italian restaurant (Toscana) was rather poor. But the service at Excellence was exceptional. When the new highway from Punta Cana Airport is complete, travel in the Punta Cana area will be greatly improved.

3 Thank Joan W
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just got back from our 6th trip, 5th in a row (2009-2013), to Excellence Punta Cana and all I can say is ...Excelente. The staff as always was wonderful, outstanding. The food was great, the entertainment crew did an outstanding job, kudos to Julio Cesar and his crew. The crew is very friendly and always looking for ways of entertaining the guests, special mention to Jonathan, the Tennis Pro, as always, friendly and willing to spend time in the courts. The facilities were great, love the new showers and the flat screen TV in the rooms and the WiFi. The restaurants were awesome as always, starting with breakfast, lunch at the Grill or at the Las Olas BBQ by the beach, here Edgar-Mario-Fredy-Radames-Omar-Alexander did and excellent job, always looking for ways to serve and help. Very Special KUDOS to Benjamin Santana Cruzado and his bartending Group, they were awesome. On the restaurant side, Ramon Marte and Jesus Reyes were nothing but Outstanding . Pedro at the Toscana during breakfast was excellent. One note for the Management of the resort: The Manager’s cocktail this year was ok. We liked the format of the previous years better when the managers were introduced by name and department and afterwards will mingle with the guest. It was nice talking to them and recognized the staff and address any problems you had or encounter during your stay.
I would definitely recommend Excellence Punta Cana to anyone that would like to spend some R&R in the Dominican Republic in a place where they treat you like King.

7 Thank ReneGP
It is so rewarding to receive such kind comments, and even more when they come from a returning guest.
We are very glad to know that due to the resort facilities, room accommodations, in room amenities, food quality and attentive service of our staff, we fulfilled your expectations. Please be sure that Julio Cesar, Jonathan, Edgar, Mario, Fredy, Radames, Omar, Alexander, Benjamin, Ramon and Jesus will be congratulated for the personalized service provided.
We thank you as well for the comment about the managements cocktail since our guests feedback, has always been of great assistance in fulfilling this mission. We are looking forward to having you as our guests again and make every effort to exceed your expectations.
Peckville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The beach is beautiful. The drinks are great and the staff pleasant but I was disappointed. If this was my first all inclusive I may have a different opinion. Other patrons visited Excellence Resorts elsewhere and found the quality to exceed that of the Punta Cana resort. This was my first experience with this company and it was highly recommended by a Liberty Travel Agent.

First it took over an hour to get to the resort from the airport (we were lucky because we did not have other stops!). The country is under construction which makes the ride to the resort awfully slow and terrible for someone who gets car sick. When leaving, our flight was at 12:40 and we had to leave the resort at 8:00am. The shuttle stops at multiple resorts so it took almost 2hrs to get to the airport on the way back. Only one restaurant opens for breakfast at 7am. I love "rushing" to wait.

I am a self proclaimed food snob and enjoy freshly made items with fresh herbs and spices. All the food that was served was bland. If you are a fan of ceviche, mussels, clams and grouper, you can eat this at each restaurant on the resort. At the french restaurant, tuna steak was on the menu. When asked how I wanted it cooked, I said chef's choice. That was apparently the wrong response or the chef does not know how to cook tuna. It was overcooked and looked like tuna from the can. That made me question whether the sushi on the buffet table was safe to eat. When I asked at "The Grill" why I can't find plantains on most menus, I was informed that the crop is ruined by pollution from Santa Domingo. In addition, the hamburgers at the grill were undercooked. After a 45 min wait to eat at the Lobster House, I laughed when served my food. The clam chowder did not have a single clam. It was a creamy broth. They gave you two petite lobster tails, corn on the cob that was sliced like a wheel two kernels high- really? How shall I nibble that? One morning we ordered room service. After 1hr+ wait, it was simply disgusting and not edible. I can go on and on about the food but I won't. Coffee was also horrible most days.

The Beach Grill was great. They had a theme daily. On Friday it was Taco day and the chicken tacos were actually pretty good. You were able to put them in a to-go container and eat on the beach. That was pleasant. The desserts at most places were excellent.

The beach was beautiful with big waves and rough surf. I enjoy crashing waves so this was not bothersome. While trying to relax on the beach, activity sales people, would continually come up to you and try to sell their excursion.

Nightly entertainment was fun. A variety of activities were available for you to participate in.

The room was nicely cleaned daily (not a speck of sand on left on the floor), but we had to request that our fridge be restocked.

The room was nice. The hammock had some wear (ie. a hole in it). You had to be quick opening and closing doors bc the mosquitoes were fast and seemed to get in every time the door opened. Off seemed to work until it rained,Off seemed to attract rather than repel after a storm.

WIFI was bad. I had a hard time connecting and when I did it was slow. This made communication with my 3 kids impossible.

4 Thank colecole2
First and foremost allow me to thank you for choosing Excellence Punta Cana as host of your recent visit to the Caribbean.
We are a saddened to read that we fell short on your culinary and restaurant expectations. We take great pride in providing the freshest of ingredients and creating both simple and also creative dining experiences. Culinary tastes are very personal and everyone has their own idea on what is the best meal, therefore we would like to remind all of our guests that if you want to eat something that is not in our restaurants, please let us know, and our Chef will be more than happy to prepare a special meal for you, if the ingredients are available.
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My wife and I vacationed at the Excellence Punta Cana in April 2013 and we were upgraded to an Excellence Club Suite once the check-in desk realized this was our third stay (although we have booked through different online travel agents). As you have doubtless read numerous times on this site, Excellence Punta Cana is an outstanding, beautiful resort with first-class service, world class pools, gourmet dining, and top-shelf liquor. Therefore, instead of simple lavishing more praise on this gem, I will point out a few particulars that may be of interest. First, the Miile Spa is one of the best spa values ever. The spa is absolutely beautiful, the attendants are gracious, and the experience is a vacation within a vacation. Second, book your airport transfers through your travel agent. The trip from the airport to the resort is about forty-five minutes and very expensive if booked through the resort. Since my first visit, I have enjoyed sizeable discounts by using the travel agent's airport transfers. Third, the Junior Suite with Ocean View is equivalent to the Excellence Club Junior Suite with Ocean View unless you really need top shelf liquors (Gin, Rum, Vodka) and a bottle of wine in your room (in addition to the ten bars throughout the resort) as opposed to the nicely stocked mini-bar in the Junior Suite with Ocean View. Lastly, the nightly stage shows have become very stale and unappealing and the casino is a disappointment. I recommend late dinners and early breakfast to make the most of the resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Westminster1501
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at our Resort with all Trip Advisor Readers.
We are glad to know that in this third vacation, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the amazing staff, resort facilities and the relaxing spa treatments.
We look forward to see you once again and provide you with an even better experience.
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I just returned from excellence in Punta Cana, very scenic and relaxing....love that jts afult only. However, the wifi sucks, which denied is communication with all family back home and the Mosquitos were a but annoying. The restaurant selections were just okay for me, the shows at night were great entertainment. We saw a MJ tribute, circus and saxophone player.

Room Tip: Excellence swim up suites are close to pool with great views but a walk to the restaurants. Bring bu...
2 Thank Missbea40
Thank you for choosing Excellence Punta Cana as host of your recent vacation.
We are pleased to hear that your overall experience was of your satisfaction. Be sure your comment about the wifi connection has been already forwarded to the management for its proper follow up.
At Excellence Punta Cana we strive to make every stay, as close to perfection as possible and we will continue working hard in this direction. Comments like yours have always been of great assistance in fulfilling this mission.
We would to love to see you again and have the pleasure to assist you again.