“Excellence Punta Cana, DR”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #13 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed June 7, 2013

If luxury and being pampered interest you, Excellence Punta Cana is the place to go. While I spent five days at Club Excellence, an upscale hotel within the hotel, this adult-only boutique hotel is a dream. The staff is very organized, they make sure that you are not missing anything. They have five restaurants <a la carte> on site and they even have a restaurant called the Lobster House. While lobster dinners cost extra at other resorts, at Excellence Punta Cana, it is included in the price. In addition, many of the guests are either on their honeymoon or celebrating an anniversary or a special occasion. The resort is not huge, which allows for easy access to all the amenities and it is located on the Uvaro Alto Beach, a secluded and magic place to spend holidays.

Even in the room, they make sure that your supply of drinks is refilled daily and at the end of the day they come by to offer you sweets. At Club Excellence, you have private concierge that takes care of you, you have a lounge to eat and to unwind in, and you can find an orchestra playing in the main plaza of the hotel nightly, offering a good start to the evening with cocktails and great music.

Having been to many hotels, I must say that Excellence Punta Cana is a true 5 star hotel where the guests ask themselves not whether, but when they will return. In sum, Excellence Punta Cana is my favourite place with Dreams Punta Cana despite the one hour drive from the airport. The royal treatment of their guests is not just a slogan, but the trademark of Excellence Punta Cana. Kudos to Excellence Punta Cana.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank canada40Montreal
There are newer reviews for Excellence Punta Cana

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We spent our honeymoon at The Excellence Punta Cana and had a wonderful time. The resort is picture perfect and extremely clean and well kept. The service was great and we were waited on hand and foot for the 5 days we were there. The ride from the airport is an adventure but interesting to see how other people live. The food was good but a little too gourmet for me. I My favorite meal of the trip was actually during the paella demonstration. It was WONDERFUL and I had two big plates full. The one part of our trip that still bugs me happened like this. One of the services offered to us was a bed turn down each night. The maid would turn down our sheets and leave us an sheet of paper with what was going on the next day along with some chocolates. My wife decided to try a piece one night and in mid bite, she bit down on a quarter inch shard of glass! We both freaked out and the next day we alerted our concierge about it and they were very sorry it happened and told us the chocolates are actually made on site. They offered us a free romantic beach dinner ($200) but they had no availability since we only had 2 more nights. They apologized and I asked for a free spa treatment for both of us but were told the spa is independent of the resort. Long story short, we received NOTHING for our trouble. This is a horrible way to treat your guests and I will not be traveling to The Excellence Punta Cana again. If they had done something for us or made the dinner happen, I would have given them a 5 star review but the lack of caring for your guests only gets them a 2 star from me.

2  Thank Jeff P
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I'd like to tell you about my experience at Excellence Punta Cana, the week of 5/25/2013 throught 6/1/2013. Since the name is Excellence, I feel you need to know the Punta Cana location may not be living up to their standards. Additionally, since this is our second stay at one of the Excellence resorts (our first experience was at Excellence Playa Mujeres in 2010), I feel like I can appropriately review the two experiences.

Lets start with before we arrived. We made our reservations via AA Vacations and then contacted the concierge regarding transfers. At the Punta Cana location, the concierge provided pricing on transportation but it was not a private transfer and was something that had to be paid at the time of the transfer. There were only two options available, a van or helicopter. In doing my own research I was able to locate a service that offered private transfers for less than the public transfer offered by the concierge and you could prepay alleviating the need to carry extra cash.

Next, I confirmed with the concierge our anniversary package; since we'd made our reservations through another provider, I did not want it to get lost in the transfer of data from AAVacations to the resort. The concierge promptly let me know they did have that information and it was noted on our account. This was one of the few things done better than our 2010 trip. In 2010 we traveled for our anniversary as well and when checking in the front desk informed me since our anniversary was technically on the day before our arrival generally they did not acknowledge the anniversary amenities unless the trip included our anniversary. Eventually he acquiesced and said he would note it on our account but did not seem happy about it. The concierge in Punta Cana noted it and when we checked in the front desk acknowledged our anniversary and made sure to inform us of some of the perks we could expect.

We arrived in Punta Cana at 9 p.m. on the 25th of May and made it to your resort around 10 p.m. We were welcomed as soon as we stepped out of our transfer by a friendly bellhop who offered a glass of champagne and a cool towel. When we informed him my wife could not drink because she is pregnant he immediately found a bottle of water and made sure she had a refreshment as well. He gathered our bags and showed us where the front desk was so we could check-in. The front desk was also extremely welcoming and the service we received there was very good. After checking in we were taken to our room where we were given a couple of tips about the A/C unit not working unless both doors were closed and then left to unpack. After unpacking we got into bed and noticed immediately the sheets were rough and the bed was like laying on plywood.

The next day we ate at Toscana and then proceeded to the pool. A server came by and offered us "a drink of the day," to which I asked "is this the non-alcoholic drink." I thought I was being clear that I was looking for the drink of the day with no alcohol in it, and perhaps I wasn't clear enough, so when he said, "yes, there is no alcohol," I took one for me and my wife. We both took a small sip and there is no doubt there was alcohol in these drinks. This problem could be chalked up to a one-time language barrier but it was continuous throughout our stay. Several times, I would go to get drinks at the swim-up bar and I would order me a drink and one for my wife that didn't include alcohol and watched as the bartender would grab a bottle of liquor to pour in the drink. I was able to stop him each time, but this still seems problematic. Another time the language problem came into play was at our special anniversary dinner. We chose Spice as the location. The waiter assigned to our table was attentive and tried to be helpful but when we ordered he had to read from the Spanish on the menu to know what we were ordering and seemed confused if we spoke too fast.

Now to the food. We ate at Toscana most of our time for breakfast. I really appreciated the wide variety of the options available. We were able to find something that was good and filling throughout our stay. The omelet station was excellent and the service was nice. We split our lunches between Toscana buffet and the Las Olas beach grill. Both options were satisfactory. It wasn't the best food we've ever had but it was good for a lunch while relaxing on the beach or at the pool. When we went to the Playa Mujeres resort in 2010, we liked the food. We felt it was a little bland but that's to be expected when trying to accommodate thousands of different tastes on a daily basis.

The first dinner at Punta Cana was at the Lobster House. If I was to grade it solely on food it would be poor. The service was very good but the food left a lot to be desired. Both of our entrees were over cooked and very dry lobster. The next night we went to Spice to see if it lived up to our expectations. We had high hopes because this was our absolute favorite restaurant in Playa Mujeres. While it was good in Punta Cana, it was not as good as Playa. The service this first night was VERY good. The waiter was attentive and when I ordered a Jack Daniels Old Fashioned he knew exactly what I wanted and had no problems bringing me one. The food was so-so, but still good. On Tuesday night we decided to try Barcelona. We wanted to make sure we tried this place before making our decision for our anniversary dinner because when we were in Playa we ate at Barcelona after our anniversary dinner at Spice and we were torn between Spice and Barcelona as the best restaurant in Playa. This time there was no contest. Barcelona was not good. We were set and told that our server would be one waiter and another waitress arrived. It was very confusing who our server was and service was incongruous. When it came time to order our food, I had a question about the chicken dish being served. I'd never seen the word being used to describe the chicken. When I asked our waitress what type of chicken it was she said, "Chicken." To me this is unacceptable in a 5-star resort. The staff, especially the wait staff, should be very familiar with the menu and be able to adequately describe the food, especially when the menu doesn't change from day to day and that server was seen assigned to that restaurant throughout our stay. The next day we chose to eat at Agave and both of us were pleasantly surprised. The food was better than our previous experience in Playa Mujeres. The wait staff was also very attentive and the atmosphere was great. For our dinner Thursday we went back to Spice. This was our anniversary special meal. The waiter tried his best to make it memorable, but it was hard especially with a large language barrier. The food was ok, and we did get some good pictures. But, when I ordered a Jack Daniels Old Fashioned the waiter said that wasn't possible. On Friday night we went to Chez Isabelle. This was by far our favorite restaurant experience of the week. The food was excellent, the service was beyond excellent and the atmosphere was fantastic. All of the restaurants should strive for this type of experience. As for room service, we ordered several times, especially the night we ate at Barcelona, and the service was generally OK, the food was OK. The only time we ordered breakfast from room service it took over 45 minutes to be delivered and by the time it arrived it was cool.

The rooms, buildings and grounds were fairly nice. We elected to stay in a non-Excellence club room and it was obvious it had been some time since they had been updated. The rooms looked like they were from about the early 2000s and had been ignored since. I know the resort underwent a renovation for just the Excellence club rooms but the non-Excellence rooms desperately need to be addressed.

Now comes to our biggest complaint. Admittedly, we are at partial fault for this situation and accept that. My wife had $100.00 stolen by someone on the staff from her purse. We did not have her purse in the safe as we should have; however, her purse was zipped and placed discreetly between our suitcase and a wall. It is not as if we had the money out laying on the table or even had her purse laying open where it was obvious there was money inside it. The only way someone would have been able to get the $100 would be to rifle through my wife's purse. When we discovered the missing money we immediately let the guest services manager, concierge, and the front desk know. They presumably went through the company policies and completed an investigation, but said they did not have anyone who came forward and admit to taking the money. When my wife and I were discussing this later we both realized we had both had a funny feeling throughout our stay related to the safety and security of our things. We also said this was not something we felt while staying at the Playa Mujeres resort. I'm not sure if there is something that can be done about this, but surely the Punta Cana resort staff could take lessons from the Playa Mujeres staff.

Finally, I noticed throughout our trip the service that does translation from Spanish to English for your signs, menus, plaques, etc. doesn't translate properly. A couple times while trying to order what I thought was an entree with a choice of chicken, beef, fish I discovered when my food arrived there was no choice but in fact all three meats were included in the entree. This wasn't a problem for me since I have no troubles eating any of these, but I think this could be a problem for someone who is allergic to a specific food.

Overall, our stay was pretty good and we came home rested and relaxed, but I wanted to let you know that while the Punta Cana resort is a very nice resort I think there are several areas that could be addressed to make it truly Excellent. Comparing our two trips we discovered we wanted to go back to Playa Mujeres while we could not say the same thing about our trip to Punta Cana.

Room Tip: Until upgrades are made in non-excellence club rooms, OPT FOR EXCELLENCE CLUB.
4  Thank lawyercalhoun
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed at the Excellence Punta Cana from 5/31/13 to 6/5/13. We had a fantastic time and the service could not have been any better. Everyone that worked at the resort spoke english, with the exception of some positions that did not have much interactions with guests. Although some were a little tough to understand at times, but traveling outside of the US to this destination it should be expected that English may not their primary language. We were very happy with the food variety and number of restaurants on site, but some items were not as you might expect in the US. The resort grounds were kept up and you can see them cleaning all the areas everyday. I would highly recommend this resort.

We spent our days lounging by the pools and the on the beach. The wait staff bringing you drinks at the beach were wonderful. They were very courteous and prompt with the service. If a drink was to strong or not strong enough they would gladly correct that for you. We had to do that once or twice. We did note some cheap people not tipping for service, so that may impact some individuals experiences with servers on the beach or at the pools. I think many people believe all-inclusive means that you should not reward anyone for great service. So often I see people tip at Starbucks for them making coffee, what is the difference. A little bit goes a long way with these individuals that are working hard. We went in the ocean a couple of times, but it was bit rought so we mostly swam in the pool when we wanted to swim. The pools were wonderful. They were extremely clean and not crowded at all. We found the smaller pool by buildings 2, 3, 4, etc to be very quiet and relaxing. One tip is to make sure to claim a spot as soon as you can in the morning if the resort is crowded if you are going to stay at a specific area. We unfortunately saw many people that would claim spots and then leave to go to another area for most of the day leaving an empty bed or chair for most of the day. Typical rude tourists. Also we saw a lot of people would take the floating mats to their rooms or leave them by their chairs instead of leaving them for other guest. It did not efffect us since we are not into lounging in the pool, but if you are get there early to claim a mat.

We enjoyed the breakfast buffet greatly. They had a very large selection of choices and all tasted great. We did not eat lunches at the regular restaurants since we did not want to take away from our relaxing on the beach and the pool. We would grab food at the service area on the beach which was perfect with the choices and the food (Pizza, burgers, hotdogs, etc). It was very good beach food.

We tried most of the places for dinner and were very happy with them. The lobsterhouse restaurant was good, but probably our least favorite of the bunch. We enjoyed Chez Isabelle, Oregano, Toscana the most. The menus had plenty of choices and the portions were perfect for normal meals. If you are the type that consumes a lot then the portions may seem small, but they will gladly bring you more of anything that you want. The servers were always very friendly and would get you what ever you wanted. When we went to the lobsterhouse they did not provide desserts. Our waiter without us asking went to the other restaurant and got us desserts. Definitely great service. As mentioned above we did find that some items were prepared different from what you might find in the US, but it was very good and we very much enjoyed. We ordered room service twice for a snack and was also great and they were very prompt and polite.

We did not spend time at the shows so I do not have much advice other than get there at least 15 minutes before the start to get a good seat. Some of the shows were pretty crowded when we walked by.

We had to buy some extra sunblock while there and it was about $30 a bottle at the on-site gift shop, so make sure to pack extra. We found the sun down there is more extreme than in the US.

We did one excursion - booked with VIP (Mel) and it was for snorkeling, swimming with the sharks and seeing and interacting with stingrays. It was nice trip, but we would have rather had just snorkeling. The sharks and stingrays were OK, but nothing fantastic. The transport time from the hotel to the excursion meeting point was about an hour and a half. Bit of a bummer, but were on vacation and did not mind taking the time to go do something fun. The excursions have all ages on them since you pick up people at other resorts on the ride over. The trip was put together well and they worked hard to entertain everyone and provide a good time. Mel was a great guy and I would recommend booking with him at the resort.

It was also my wife's birthday on one of the days and the resort without asking provided a cake in our room. They do take birthdates when you check in, which is how they knew, but we thought it was a great touch of wonderful customer service to surprise us with that.

Our room was fantastic. It was very peaceful and quiet. We had a top floor room in building 2 facing the gardens and a portion of the pool. The room was very clean and well maintained. The maids did a great job cleaning the room each day and left us a towel animal with fresh flowers on the bed each day. I am not sure it this is typical or due to us leaving a tip each day.

There is an hour to hour and half ride to/from the airport. It was a nice ride getting to see some of the area, but they are a bit crazy in their driving over there. If you have any type of motion sickness I would suggest taking something for the ride. Security at the airport for us was very fast. No problems, but we did board our plane about 45 minutes earlier than you would in the US, so make sure you are at the airport early enough.

This resort was fantastic and I would highly recommend, especially for couples looking to get away and just relax in tropical paradise!! We can not wait to go back again. If we could leave to go again next week we would.

Room Tip: I would definitely choose a room on the top floor since the ceilings were vaulted and it made the ro...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank GBMDCPA
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This is an amazing resort.

Food: The breakfast and lunch buffets are very good, though it could be difficult to get items like soft-boiled eggs, much like any buffet. The restaurants, with the exception of the steak house, were good, though the French restaurant was by far the best. The service at both the buffets and the restaurants was superb. Incredibly polite, helpful and pleasant. The resort also has complimentary room service. The room service food was middle of the road, but it was delivered quickly and we could have breakfast on the balcony overlooking the ocean.

Drinks: When we arrived at the resort, we were expecting bottom shelf liquor, but were pleasantly surprised. While the mixed drinks were made with middle of the road liquor, they had a full bar and you could order just about whatever your heart desired. As for the "tropical" drinks, they were delicious. Also, they DO have a drink that they serve in a coconut, in case you're wondering. One caveat, they only have one brand of beer, Presidente (and Presidente Lite). It's not terrible, but if you're a beer person, you may be found wanting. The wine selection was less limited, though some of the wines are not included in the price of the resort.

Room: Our room was amazing. We were on the top floor of one of the buildings, so we had vaulted ceilings. There was a jacuzzi tub, which was great after a zip-lining excursion (not included in the hotel). Our private balcony looked over the pool and the ocean, but it never got too loud. The bed was comfortable. The room included a free mini-bar with snacks like peanuts and cookies. It also included free soda, juice and beer which were refilled daily. Finally, we were provided with full-sized bottles of gin, scotch, vodka and rum, again at no cost.

Entertainment: The resort has a nightly show. These range from a "newlywed game" style show with couples staying at the resort to a Michael Jackson-tribute show to an acrobatics show that is like a scaled-down version of Cirque du Soleil. They were all fun, though none of them were mind-blowing. After the show each night, they would have live music for 1-2 hours and a lot of people would go out and dance. The resort does have a casino, but it is very small and very few people are ever in there. There is a horseback riding excursion included in the stay, but you have to sign up in advance. I recommend the early morning ride because it gets so hot later in the day. The horses are extremely well-trained, to the point that they will only follow the leader and you cannot get them to go anywhere else. There were also a number of classes, including Spanish, cooking, bartending and poker classes, but the days were so full that we never got to try any out, even though they looked very fun.

Pools: The pools were amazing. The main pool (which never gets more than 4.5 feet deep, winds its way almost the entire length of the resort, going under bridges and past some of the outside restaurants. There is a swim-up bar with alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. There is also a section of the pool for water volleyball, which was a blast and a great way to meet other people at the resort. There was a second pool on the other side of the resort from our room which was smaller, but has a waterfall.

Service: The people at this resort could not have been nicer. We were greeted with glasses of champagne upon arrival. We were congratulated for being newlyweds multiple times per day. (They often ask why you came to visit.) They were polite and always helpful. How well they speak English will depend on who you speak with. All of the front desk people and the concierges spoke impeccable English. The wait staff in the restaurants spoke very good English. The bartenders spoke good English. The housekeeping and room service staff spoke only some English and this was usually only within their job. This never created an issue and they were still very polite and did what they could to answer any questions. We loved that they hung a newlyweds banner on our door.

Other:
There are large parts of the resort where smoking is allowed.
They do have some vendors (souvenirs, cigars, etc.) who could be a little pushy, but not overly aggressive.
There are not enough pool-side or ocean-side cabanas for everyone, so if you want one, get there early!
The resort is on the east side of the island, which means that the ocean is more rough there, but it also means the weather is a little less stiflingly hot, though it was still in the 90s every day.
There was a power outage one night at the resort (and the surrounding areas) that lasted about 3 hours. The resort had generators, but they were focused to keeping the restaurants working. The staff worked quickly, getting candles set up in every corridor of the hotel and throughout any areas frequented by guest. They also came room to room offering candles to people who were preferring to stay in. I was almost disappointed when the power cam back on, because the hundreds of small candles was beautiful. What could have been the low point of the trip turned out to be one of the highs.
The resort is air conditioned, in the rooms, restaurants and main areas.
The resort does have wi-fi, but it is a large resort and there are some area it is not accessible.
They have a counter where a number of companies offer excursions off the resort that you can purchase. My wife and I went zip-lining, which was a lot of fun. Other excursions included going out to clubs, trips into Santo Domingo, catamaran trips to a nearby island and others.
There was a wide age range at the resort, though I would say the majority of the couples were in their late 20s to 30s.

Overall, I felt that this was an amazing value and a place that I would absolutely recommend!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Aaron M
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I went to this resort with friends for a destination wedding. Here is what my review of this trip is:

Food: Buffet for breakfast or lunch was ok, but do not do it for dinner...terrible. We had to go to another restaurant to eat again! The other restaurants on the resort were ok. The best was called Spice, which is Thai food. That was very good. I could have eaten there every night. I did like that you did not need reservations and you could order as much food at each restaurant or multiple restaurants in a night. Poritions sizes where much smaller than expected.

Drinks: If you like your drinks extremely strong, then this is the place for you. Many drinks I couldn't even finish because the alcohol was so strong, it tasted horrible. The coconut drink was really yummy.

Rooms: All the rooms were the same, whether you upgraded or not. In hindsight, we would not have paid for the upgrade. The room was clean, but our room had an extremly strong smell of mold. The shower was a little different in that it had a window that looked out into the bedroom. For couples, that's fine, but if staying with someone else, it makes it a little awkward.

Entertainment: Each night they put on a different show. Some were pretty good, others a little cheesy. During the day they have all different kinds of activities, and some, if you win, you can earn free excursions.

Excursions: We did a snorkling excursion where we snorkled a little with nurse sharks and stings rays, and then took the party book to a part of the ocean where you could stand in the water and get drinks on a floating raft. The party book part was a lot of fun with great music and an entertaining staff. The snorkling was ok, we really did not see a lot of fish, just the coral, nurse sharks & sting rays that were in an enclosed area.

We did a 2nd excursion on ATV's and 2 person buggies. Not too much riding time. First stop on the tour was to see how coffee beans and cocoa are harvested and prepared. Next stop was to a 25 foot deep fresh water cave where you can jump in. That was fun. Third stop was the beach on the Caribean side. Water was nice and blue and calm. My compliant about this excursion though is that at every stop there are locals there hounding you to buy their stuff. Some got a little aggressive when you didn't want to listen to them and walked away. I felt like this was more about trying to get us to buy their stuff then riding around.

We did the horseback riding on the beach. It was ok, horses didn't want to move to much.

Beach: Water is ROUGH! I did not expect that.

Wedding: The beach wedding was nice and pretty typcial of what I expected. Food for the wedding was much better than what we got in the resturants.

Overall the experience was ok, but for the amount of money we spent for the trip, I do not feel it was worth it and would not consider going back to that resort.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the "Excellence" package, but I don't feel it was really worth it. The...
2  Thank Crystal F
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Just returned from three nights at Excellence. Had a very inexpensive air/hotel package through Delta Vacations. Although nothing horribly wrong, overall impression is hotel needs a major overhaul as it is fairly dated, but more than that, the food was universally awful.

Pros:
Nice beach area, plenty of lounge chairs by pool and beach (even when resort seemed pretty full). Staff at the resort are very nice and accommodating, service at the bars and restaurants friendly and responsive. Spa is much newer than the rest of the facility -- was very nicely designed and every person in our group who got a treatment loved it. All-inclusive includes some top-shelf liquors. Adults only resort, so nice for parents who leave kids behind or non-parents who prefer not to share their vacation space with the little ones. Weather, even in off season, was great.

Cons:
Rooms seemed very old, with a musty smell. Each room came with a fresh stick of incense, and you can imagine why. Food was pretty bad across the board, even things like hamburgers were strangely prepared and hard to get down. The only exception was the French restaurant, Chez Isabelle. Don't even try to order room service, as the delivery took forever! Free transfers include stops at other hotels, which means a much longer ride.

All in all, it is hard to really complain about 3 nights on the beach at an all-inclusive -- especially given the price. However, Excellence is certainly not a luxury hotel, and won't be until it undergoes extensive updating and a revamping of its food service.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kt3404