“hotel excellence punta cana”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Telford, United Kingdom
“hotel excellence punta cana”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

wow what can we say a little bit of heaven on earth this has been our 2nd trip in 2 years and we have booked again for jan 2014 the hotel and all its staff are fab food fantastic rooms just amazing made most welcome home from home would also say it takes us a long time to get there but believe me it is well worth the trek if you go on 1 holiday in your lifetime please make this hotel your choice from bar staff to maids they are so helpful nothing is too much trouble and all help given with a genuine smile we thought we had trouble with the fan in the room within 20 minutes a lovely chap came and sorted it out it just goes to show nothing is too much trouble beach amazing waiter service on beach second to none food breakfast is just fab lunch so many places to choose from and dinner in the evening was spoilt for choice must admit the lobster house was our favorite my hubby was enjoying his lobster the waiter came and gave him another wonderful must also say the cocktail bar is a must thanks to nilson and his coffee vodka cant wait to see you all again in january keep our seats warm

Room Tip: groud floor with private garden a must
2 Thank siobhanjonessmyth67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,598)
  • Korean first
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Great resort and wonderful time we had. The service was great and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We seen not one bad attitude of any staff they were all so very helpful. The Grill Resturant was our pick Ricky the server and Brenda the hostess was great, would love to bring them to Florida to some resturants to train people. My overall review of this Resort was top notch and we have stay in 5 other resorts and this would be our number 1 pick again. The room was cleaned twiced a day, the food services is excellent, the entertainment was great and my wife just loved the Saxphone playing each night. Next year instead of 7 nights we are planning on going for 10 nights. The trip from the airport to the resort was fine and checking in and out was so smooth and the front desk very informative. We used the equipment in the fitness center while we were there and it was great likewise. I can not say enough positive about this resorts.

4 Thank Sherry-Gerald
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I traveled here for a destination wedding. We stayed for about 6 days: Thursday through Tuesday.

Transportation
DR airport stinks. People are constantly trying to take your bags so you tip them. In addition, all the workers gave you the wrong information. We already booked our taxi through the resort, and when we tried asking where the taxi's were, the guys kept saying, we don't have those services. You need to book through Apple Vacation. I think they all try to take advantage of American's naiveness.

We took a taxi, and the driving was too be desired. First of all, it takes about 1 hour to get to the resort from the airport. No one that I came across seems to abide by the rules of the road. Everyone drives very dangerously. I recommend closing your eyes for the entire ride to/from the airport. People pass in no passing zones. On our ride back to the airport, our taxi driver pulled out into an intersection with 2 medium sized cargo trucks coming at us in both directions! It was a pretty scary ride for me.

Plus if you ever got stranded, you would be screwed. No street names. Very windy roads, and most of the land is fenced in.

The local life looks terrible. All the animals I came across were super skinny with their ribs showing. Some people were walking on the street without shoes. My heart sunk just looking at their living conditions.

Excursions
I only signed up for the free 30 minute horseback riding, and it was a lot of fun. HOWEVER the horses look awful and malnourished. I felt bad enjoying myself at their expense. When we met up with the tour guides and the horses, I found the horses all tied up in close quarters. Most of the horses were VERY skinny with their hip bones protruding out. Some even had bare skin where their saddles/gear rubbed them raw. This REALLY bothered me! Excellence REALLY needs to FEED their horses!!!! I can't stress this enough. Some of our group of friends were so upset, they decided against the horseback riding. I was more or less the guinea pig who relayed the information.

Room
Room was very nice, even though we selected the cheapest option. The shower and jacuzzi tub were awesome, but they didn't clean it very well upon our arrival. I found some mystery hairs in our sink YUCK! Besides that, no complaints.

Overall, I thought the food was not good. The French restaurant and the Spanish restuarant, Agave, were the best ones of the bunch. The Lobster House was awful especially their lobster. The Mahi Mahi is probably your best bet. The Oregano has really good pizzas you can pick up until about 2am. I would highly recommend those verses the room service.

Room service was kinda bad. Service was good, but the actual food was kinda blah. We ordered chicken fingers, and those were nasty. Everyone in my group agreed. The condiments were nasty too, and I had bbq and honey mustard sauce. One of my friends ordered the minestrone soup, and she said that was pretty good.

The Grill is where I ate lunch. It was pretty good I guess as long as you stayed away from the fish and chips. I loved the mahi mahi entree, and the burrito of the sea appetizer.

The Toscano breakfast buffet was the better breakfast selections. I'm not really going to touch on the breakfast since I am allergic to eggs. The buffet had a good selection including a bloody mary and mimosa bar.

Shows
Every night they had something different. I really enjoyed them. My favorite was the circus show, however we never got to see the Michael Jackson show which I heard is really entertaining. All in all, it was fun to watch, but get there 15 min early to grab a good seat!

Drinks
The drinks were rather weak, but they were pretty tasty. I loved hanging at the swim up bar. I wish they had more of those throughout the resort. I loved how every room had a replenishing stock of bottled water, pop, booze, etc. I loved bottled pop! My favorite drinks where the banana mama, coco loco, pina colada that came in the pineapple, the excellence, and the yellow bird. The Agave restaurant has good margaritas too.

If I had to choose, I would probably never go back to that resort again. For a straight week after I returned to the U.S, my stomach was all screwed up. I really did not enjoy the food, and if I travel anywhere, I expect really delicous food. I usually travel via Carnival Cruise, and I think I'll go back to traveling that way.

Someone I sat next to on the flight back said she really enjoyed her stay at the Dreams resort.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the rooms by the pool that come with the hammock. We picked the cheapest room...
1 Thank joycer67
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My girlfriend and I went here for our vacation because it is an adults-only resort. After arriving at the airport, it is a little over an hour ride to the hotel. We booked through CheapCaribbean.com and they work in part with Olympus Tours for transportation. Upon arrival to the hotel we were greeted with champagne and bell boys taking our bags. We arrived about 2:45 PM and our room was all ready to go. We stayed in Building 40, Room 4106, which was a suite with a garden view.

ROOM

The room was nice. It was very large and included a shower and a jacuzzi bathtub. There were a couple closets, one dresser which was broken, a couch, and a patio with chairs and a table. The patio was actually very nice and ours was shaded and had privacy due to the garden view. The bathroom sink had two faucets so we could both use it at the same time. The most odd thing in the room was the window that is on the top half of the shower and you can look out into the living/bedroom. The room is stocked with six different liquor bottles and various juices, sodas, and waters in the refrigerator. There are also a couple light snacks such as cookies and crackers.

RESTAURANTS

We found some of the restaurants to be better than average and the others to be just average. I was surprise because many reviews I read before choosing this resort stated the food was phenomenal. We thought otherwise. Toscana has a breakfast buffet and a lunch buffet everyday. There are a lot of choices including an omelet station where they are made to order. The variety is actually pretty good. We did order breakfast one morning from room service. The food was luke warm at best, and tasted worse than it did at the buffet. We found lunch to be about the same. There were a decent number of choices, but the food was mediocre. We became big fans of Las Olas, which is down next to the beach and serves pizzas, burgers, hot dogs, fries, nachos, and some other specialties every day. The best thing about Las Olas was that there was no dress code so you could walk straight from the pool or beach and eat in whatever you were wearing. If you opted to go to Toscana for lunch, you need to abide by the dress code. After we discovered Las Olas, we pretty much ate there every day for lunch. Dinner at the different restaurants were hit or miss. We found the Asian restaurant, Spice, to be the best. We ate there 3 nights. The Grill was the second best for dinner. We ate at Toscana once and it was mediocre.

SHOWS

There are various shows that the resort puts on at night. We actually found them to be pretty entertaining. We liked the Circus Show the best and the Michael Jackson Tribute Show was an extremely close second. We were not huge fans of the Romantic Night Show. If you want good seats then you definitely need to arrive early. We showed up about an hour and fifteen minutes early for the Micheal Jackson and Circus Shows and we were glad we did. Those two shows were the most packed, with the Michael Jackson Show being the most packed.

ROOM SERVICE

Room service was actually pretty good. Our room was made up nicely every day with fresh towels and amenities left. They did a pretty good job of cleaning up the room. We had to call once for a couple extra bath towels and it took about twenty minutes which we found to be okay but not extraordinary. When we ordered food from room service it took about 45 minutes. But, they told us it would be that look so we were expecting it to be that long. I would not recommend room service for breakfast, as the food was not impressive.

EXCURSIONS

We did two different excursions. We did the zip-lining and the Reef Explorer. Both were extremely fun. The Reef Explorer was hours of kayaking, snorkeling with nurse sharks and stingrays, relaxing, and getting a massage. The zip-lining had some great views and fast moving excitement. Each were about an hour ride from the resort.

GOOD & BAD

We found the service to be good. There were always pool/beach towels available and there were also always lounge chairs open at both the pool and beach. There was a lifeguard that was around the beach area and would monitor the water to ensure people did not go out too far. There was also security guards around the perimeter of the resort at night to ensure people don't come off the beach or outside the resort and try to enter.

Our biggest complaint is that you are allowed to smoke on this resort. There are designated smoking areas but it is NOT enforced. People were smoking all over the place and without regard for those whom do not smoke. At times people would be ashing on the floor and leaving cigarette butts around. This is not a pleasant thing when you are trying to relax by the pool or watch a night show and you are constantly smelling smoke. The walkways were bad for my girlfriend as the bricks are not even. If you are a woman, you need to be careful you don't trip. There was also no insulation on the bedroom door so you can hear anything going on outside in the hallway. We happened to be by the stairs so we constantly heard the maids and other persons. There also did not seem to be a lot of activities going on during the day by the poolside or beach. There were a few things here or there but they were not advertised well and they just did some simple recruiting to get a handful of people and then they would start with those who they got. The activities were just so limited compared to other places we have been.

5 Thank JonnyBlaze777
Kennesaw, Georgia, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We went here for our Honeymoon and everything was better than we expected! The room was great with jacuzzi tub in the middle of the room and the rain shower! The beds on the beach were amazing and the swim up bar. We didn't find the cascading pool until the last day but it was also great with a waterfall and two pipes that spray water out to massage you and one is more powerful than the other. The hotel grounds are beautiful and have a lot of area to cover, the lobby is huge with a big theater for shows at night and two bars to get drinks. There were about eight different restaurants to choose from and we loved Agave, and the french restaurant but everything was good. We never eat dinner at the Lobster House because we heard mixed reviews and a couple of nights they had buffets set up at the beach and pool so we eat there.I would suggest sticking to seafood though because some of the pork and beef were not the best except the rib-eye at the french restaurant and the steaks at the grill. There are lots of bars around the hotel and activities like the sports bar to play pool, tennis, ping pong, and many other things, also right out front of the resort there are gardens and they have some animals out there like two parrots just hanging out you can interact with. Don't miss the shows at 930 every night they were all great! The staff was so nice and Julio Caesar and Miguel Angel made us feel very welcome they were awesome. Julio hosted the shows at night and Miguel did pool activities and was in the couples shows but we talked to them often because they were very friendly and out going. One of the only downs was the ride there is rough because it is the furthest resort from the airport and takes about a hour to get there on somewhat rough roads but totally worth it. Also it was perfect for us but if your like to party at the pool all night and stay up late and go clubbing it probably want be for you the only things open late are the casino and one club. And a special thanks to Marsha Rosner of Rosner travel in Marietta Georgia for getting our trip together she was so nice and helpful.I would recommend her if you live in the Atlanta area.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor in building 10 and it was great. It was a little walk to get to the rest...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jeremy H
Erie, Colorado
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stay at the Resort 5 days, celebrating our wedding anniversary. Their installations are great for to be in the Caribean, food excellent, specially we enjoyed the Lobster, thanks for our excellent romantic dinner, and French restaurant, but all of those are great. The nightly shows, very fun and we highly recommend the Saxon jazz music late evening, they play great live jazz music.
Thanks to the people of the whole Resort for allowed us to spend a great anniversary.
The only issue, the mattress of the bed was hard.
Yolima and Bruce

Room Tip: We upgraded to the excellent club, but our bedroom was located in the excellent building, third floo...
2 Thank Yoli_12
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the Excellence for our honeymoon. We were married at another resort. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty. The food is the best I've ever had on vacation. The mexican restaurant was better than the food I had in Mexico last year. This is a place for couples that want to get away and have alone time. Our room was absolutely amazing. We had the honeymoon suite with the private rooftop. We had top shelf alcohol in the room that was refreshed daily. I have never had a better experience at other resorts. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite with private rooftop.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple