“Best hotel we have ever stayed in”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #13 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Lancashire
“Best hotel we have ever stayed in”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband adn I stayed here 30/3-13/4 with another couple of friends. Had read all the reviews for months before, and were really looking forward to it, though part of me therefore expected to be disappointed with such a big build up. I certainly was not disappointed. The rooms are amazing - and we had only booked the basic room; the minibar was not in any way mini - full size bottles, and anything you wanted could be brought up to add to it. Room service menu was immense and the service instant.
The pools were cleaned daily with several young men inside the pool with cleaning equipment. The beach had a morning tractor to work on it, plus men all day seiving the debris out - not that I could see any! Waiters and waitresses coming round all day to serve you requested drinks - are give out cocktails and snacks. Do meet Altogracia by the main pool - she is hysterical and works so hard!!!
14 days is a long time to spend at a resort, but as the days went by we just felt more and more at home. If there was a fault it was that the hotel has nothing around it for miles - it took 2 hours to walk along te beach to the next hotel and back. So it would have been easy to get bored, but there is so much going on throught the day and night with the amazingly friendly entertainment team that we never did. Loved Kassandra for her sunny and caring nature and her daily stretch classes on the beach. Great to have an entertainments team member who really knew her stuff and helped me a lot. The others were just as much fun - esp Luz and her crazy bingo calling ("Next number people!")
Evening entertainment is mainly dancing and miming to 70's music, Michael Jackson etc, but the dancing is spectacular and full of energy in that heat. The 'Romance' singer was excellent and the saxophonist superb. Much more I could say but others have said it. Believe them.
Food has been critisized, but for all-inclusive I thought it was great. If you didnt like what you got in one restaurant you could always go to another. Portions were more than adequate. Rarely could I finsih mine. The breakfast buffet had everything imaginable, and was the best I have ever experienced. Lunch buffet too. It is nice to have the waiter service at lots of restaurant choices in the evening.
Other possible downside was a lot of loud drunken americans during the Eater weekend, but they were having a good time and didn't bother us much. They have very short holidays, so why not go for it! My husband soon forgave them the noise when they welcomed him into the daily water volleyball games - his favourite bit. My favourite bit was the daily free massages! And I did do a trip to the spa - a bit pricey, but the aqua circuit is amazing, and beautiful.
I could say more, but you get the gist. This palce could not do more to ensure a great beach style holiday, providing everything you could possibly need. Do not hesitate to book it! Feel free to email any questions.

Room Tip: We had rooms overlooking cascade pool in block 1 (also 2 and 4 good for this). Lovely view, though o...
4 Thank divalancashire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,601)
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My new wife & I stayed here 4/8-4/13 & it was amazing. It was our first all inclusive trip & it was awesome. We reserved an oceanview room through our travel agent last summer. However when we checked in they didn't have an oceanview available? I was peeved at first bit they gave us access to the excellence club & garden view room. This ended up being awesome although not sure I'd wanna pay for it.

Nice mini-bar and room setup. I enjoyed the swim-up bar (love how they cane around with wood-grilled pizzas as buzz was setting in) as well as nightly shows & saxophone player at martini bar! Even had myself a blast at the "disco" after one too many presidentes ;)

Some restaurants better than others as expected. Loved the breakfast n lunch buffet at Toscana! Shout outs to Garcia in the excellence club & Carolina in the martini bar! They made our stay much more memorable!

We did 2 excursions. 1 was a catamaran cruise to saona island on the Caribbean side as well as ziplining! Highly recommended! Such a blast i was sad to leave! Very impressed by the professionalism of the staff & to see how hard they work! Can't wait to return!!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Carney920
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was a little sceptical of choosing a hotel in the Dominican Republic knowing that some people have not had the best experience there, but I am very glad I did. The hotel itself is everything and more that the brochure claims, spacious rooms in beautiful surroundings. The grounds are an extensive nature reserve - but if you go near the ponds/lakes you need insect repellent. I didn't and I got the only insect bite of my entire stay.
You will be asked if you want an upgrade on arrival but I don't think it is any great advantage and in some ways - you get sandwiches served on your roped off area of the beach - you get pizzas if you don't bother upgrading. You get a better mini bar if you upgrade - you get a nice selection anyway and you can have what you ask for at the bars.
The food is very good and it was delightful to be able to turn up at any of the restaurants without booking in advance and be seated straight away. We found all the staff friendly and helpful.The in room a bar was well stocked and renewed daily - if you don't see it a phone call to room service will bring it. I know it is all inclusive but a dollar tip is certainly appreciated but not expected and always gets a smile and a thank you. However tipping the room maids appears to gets you very little extra - swans etc.don't seem to be the norm.
This was the first hotel I have stayed in where towels left on beach beds are collected in as part of the service meaning that you can always get a place just by turning up when you feel like it. As the hotel is situated on the Atlantic side of the island there is always a pleasant cool breeze and plenty of thatched sun shelters. I was grateful for these but those who want none of this can choose from a number of pools where it really is hot. The sea is choppy and it is dangerous to go far out as there is a strong current. We witnessed one very brave rescue by the beach guard but if you stay close to the shore it is fine to cool you off.
At night time there is some reasonable entertainment and we particularly enjoyed the playing of saxophonist and organist at the Martini Bar where you can dance if you feel so inclined. It has a slight 1920's feel and there was always a couple of seat free.
This hotel is very popular with Canadians and Americans and honeymoon couples. It is adults only but expect to be sad if you are on your own looking for romance, it is 99.9% couples.

We met a number of people who were returning again and one couple had been 9 times - I would definitely consider it a possibility someday when I have seen the rest of the world.

Room Tip: Do not choose a ground floor room that is situated by the natural ponds or in shade.You don't ne...
3 Thank Ian H
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful time at Excellence Punta Cana. The resort, staff, food, and room was top notch.

Overall Trip: (Everything other than the hotel)
The wait once you arrive at Punta Cana airport, we arrived the same time as 2 other large planes. We waited over an hour to get our tourism card and clear customs. Be stern with those around the baggage area. They will be pretty pushy to assist you with your luggage and do not speak english well. The trip to Excellence is about an hour on several narrow curvy roads. They are building a new highway which should be done in 6 mths. This will help with travel times to Excellence

Beach:
Beach was very clean, but the water is pretty rough and choppy in front of the resort. If you head south on the beach, a short walk will get you to a much calmer section where you can safely wade in the ocean

Resort:
Resort was very clean, open, beautiful. They have a lot of activities available for you. Everyday you will get a paper outlining the activities and "drink of the day". Don't miss out on getting your free 1/2 hour horseback ride on the beach. For those planning to use the free wifi, the wifi is very spotty and inconsistent. My signal was constantly bouncing between no bars and full bars.

Room:
We booked the Ocean view Excellence suite. We loved our room even though we didn't have a great ocean view. If you stay on the first floor, you will have your own private porch area that includes a hammock. Our mini bar was well stocked. The bed was a little on the hard side, but honestly nothing to complain about. Overall, our room was one of the nicest rooms I have stayed in.

Food:
The food was great. Excellence has many different restaurants with different cuisines. We enjoyed everything we tried. The waiters will be happy to bring you two dishes if you are having trouble deciding between them.

Staff:
The staff is a big part of what makes Excellence special. They cater to your every need. Whether you are spending time on the beach or at the pool, they continually check in on you to make sure you are doing well and are good on drinks. Spending time getting to know the staff will go a long way in making your stay memorable. We got to meet some great staff there, like Tito and Miguel Angel.

Overall:
My wife and I would definitely go back to Excellence. We had a really great time meeting other couples and hanging out with the staff.

Thank you Excellence for the wonderful time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TX_UK_fan
Camarillo, California
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was my first trip to Punta Cana and Excellence Resort exceeded any expectations I had prior to arrival. The staff here is amazing and will go out of their way to help in any way they can and will always tell you it is no problem. The resort property itself is immaculate. The rooms are spacious and luxurious and the property is kept very clean at all times. My friend and I dined at six of the eight restaurants and were delighted with the food and loved the appropriate portion sizes (unlike the U.S.). The view and beach on this property will take your breath away. I spent four days on teh beach enjoying the sun and reading and never tired of the view. The gym here has all up to date equipment and Wander teaches pilates or yoga every morning except for Sunday. He gives you a great workout. Edwin at the front desk was extremely helpful in helping us arrange a taxi to take us to a nightclub in Bavaro for dancing, even getting us drinks to take with us on the way. The absolute only downfall to this trip for me was that my friend and I were the ONLY singles on the entire resort. If you are in a couple this place could not be any better for you. If you are single and not looking to mingle this place is for you. You will not be bothered. If you are single and looking to mingle I would try a different singles oriented resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jvasques
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2013

“Honestly stop looking, this is the place”
We stayed 2 weeks at the Excellence Punta Cana in March this year to celebrate our wedding anniversary. First ever trip to Dominican Republic and the Excellence resort exceeded our expectations. The room, restaurants, bars and staff absolutely made it perfect.
Special thanks to activity organiser ‘TITTO’ great guy, we would definitely recommend it & visit again in future.

Room Tip: We stayed in a pool view room which was great, though the garden view rooms looked equally as good.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KISH M
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is our second visit to the Excellence. We spent 5 nights there from April 8 - 13. The accommodations, grounds, weather and food all met and exceeded our expectations. We had a very relaxing vacation - just lounging around the pool and partaking in the multitude of beverages offered!! Definitely wear sunscreen and follow the instructions (wait 15 min before entering the water!!). We missed the instructions the first day and got a little burnt....then the sunscreen worked great after we followed the directions. I would also recommend a hat as the top of our heads were burnt pretty good. Would recommend this resort to anyone wanting a relaxing vacation among the palm trees!! Excellente!!!
One negative relates to the transportation to get to and from the Excellence. Takes about an hour and the roads are very narrow and curvy. Appears they are building a divided road out to the area the Excellence is in...but it too was under contruction last year when we were there. Will be much better once that road is opened.
And...to the Delta people....we waited in line for 2 hours to check our bags on Saturday...there was only one ticketing agent working the Economy line. She was slow and very in-efficient. Need to have major improvements in managing/training the ticketing agents in the Punta Cana airport.

3 Thank TooPampered