“I grinned the entire trip”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Most everything about this trip was fabulous. We never had to wait for anything we asked for, be it food, drink, room service, etc. The staff was extremely friendly and everything was beautifully maintained. There were so many options for restaurants. Any type of food you were in the mood for, they have. There were so many options for lounging, both pool side and on the beach, sun and shade. The pool was just large enough to have different places to lay each day but not too big that you spend so much time walking around it. The entertainment each evening was at a high level of quality and kept me intrigued. If I had to list one draw back it would be the excursion solicitors at the pool and beach. They were a little more aggressive then I care to deal with on my vacation. The location is a ways from the airport, but well worth the drive, as you are able to experience the country side. Other than that I had a grin on my face the entire stay. I will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LizYoEleven

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We went here in November of 2011 for our honeymoon. The service is excellent and if you can afford the upgrade to Excellence Club- DO IT! The scuba instructors are great, the food in the French restaurant was actually our favorite. We went to the Asian restaurant, which was our least favorite. The spa is great- couples massage package was actually a really fun experience. Make sure to try the local rum! We are planning a return trip in 2014.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The ride to Excellence took a while but it was worth the wait! From the moment we arrived, the staff was ready to accomdate our every need. Our room, which was one of the lowest price garden view rooms in the 1300 block, actually had an ocean view and I could walk right out to the beach (past my private hammock). I actually cried when we first walked in.

While there were a few parts of the resort that could use a new coat of paint, the positives of the place greatly exceeded the negatives. The pool was pristine and cleaned daily, as was the beach. The food was better than expected and plentiful. We particularly enjoyed the beachfront lunch area where you could grab lunch and head back to the beach (including nacho cheese dispenser). There was always a good balance of healthy options and unhealthy options and it was never hard to find something to eat or, more importantly, something to drink. The servers were everywhere ... in the lobby, at the bar, at the beach, at the pool. I had to work hard not to get intoxicated every day!

The gym was also very nice with inspiring music pumping through the speakers and a great view of the mountains. You just have to be prepared for the weights because they are not in pounds. I took a pilates class and it was much better than any hotel classes I have ever experienced ... the instructor had some new moves I had never tried and he really made my muslces burn. There was even a running track outside in a garden with parrots that talk to you and workout stations. While the track was small, it was a nice change of pace from my daily workouts.

Another great plus was that I did not get sick! I have been to several all-inclusives on islands in the Caribean and I always get sick. At Excellence, I could drink the water, eat the fruit, and enjoy all of the frozen drinks.

Finally, there was this cool show on Thursday night that was sort of of like Cirque de Soleil. This was the best of all the free shows (one per night). It was really cool too watch.

Overall, this was the best vacation I have been on to date. Previously I have been to Bavaro Princess in Punta Cana and Sandals in Antiqua. I have also stayed at many nice resorts in Florida and traveled through the US and Europe. This was certainly the most amazing resort I have experienced (although Antiqua was very different and also beautiful).

I would definitely recommend this place but you should try to request a 1300 room on the first floor. I think I would have had a different experience if I had been in the back of the resort or at a swim up. The extra money for the excellence club did not seem necessary as we never wanted for anything and the excellence areas did not seem any better than the regular areas.

Good luck with your travel plans!

Room Tip: 1300 block, garden view have ocean view and you can walk out to beach, just not a pool very close (b...
1  Thank KRS1980
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My now-fiancée and I stayed at Excellence Punta Cana the last week of February 2013 with another couple. The hotel and grounds were absolutely gorgeous, and everything you could imagine in a tropical resort. The lobby was open-air, so as soon as we got off the bus (we were handed champagne) we could see through the lobby to the beach. We had Garden View Jr Suite, and since we were on the first floor we had small patios with hammocks for some extra hangout space; we loved it! We came very close to upgrading to the club but decided against it. We figured if we felt we were missing out on something we could upgrade later (and never did). Our rooms were HUGE. There was a big marble tub right in the middle of the room and a rain water shower in the bathroom. The bed was harder than I’d have liked; I tend to like my beds very soft, but that might not be practical in the climate anyway.

The restaurants were all lovely- we ended up ending our night at the pizza place, Oregano, almost every night (closes at 3). My favorite was the Mexican restaurant Agave, the Lobster House was delicious too! The Grill and Lobster house were open air right on the beach- its spectacularly romantic. Every restaurant has or is near a bar to wait at if there is a line (we waited 40 minutes for Agave because it is a small restaurant, but that was the longest wait).

We went on three excursions- the stingray experience, the Saona island catamaran excursion and the zip lining excursion. One downfall of the resort (and all resorts in Punta Cana) is that it is very far away from many of the excursions. If you’re not interested in a 1+ hr bus ride, definitely check with the booking agent at the resort to find out travel times to and from the excursions. The 1 hour ride for zip lining was totally worth it. We had a fantastic time, and the views were breathtaking. We had a really fun time on the stingray experience as well, mostly because of the staff on the pirate ship boat ride you take out to the stingray habitat. They had us all dancing and drinking in no time! Saona Island was less than ideal, but I’ll review that separately on Trip Advisor (I gave it a “poor” rating).

They had a show in the lobby theater every night! There was native dancing, karaoke and live music to name a few. They were all fantastic shows. There was also a dance club, sports bar and casino, all wonderful. The casino minimums were pretty low, so we played all night (make sure you pay attention though, the dealers aren’t great, and I caught them miscounting a couple of times at blackjack). There was also a great outdoor bar, which was a fun hangout for us at night.

The first night we were there, my boyfriend proposed to me on the beach at sunset!! Our friends were there and snapped a ton of gorgeous pictures and we got rocked at Lobster house on champagne! Thank you Excellence for the fantastic memories :)

Things to know before booking:
Because of the location on the island, the waves are bigger than at other resorts, there may be dangerous current flags for most of your trip, but on the other hand it was great for boogy boarding
Most excursions have to pick up from other resorts before traveling to the destination
The drinks definitely flow, but it isn't really a party destination, more of a romantic getaway

Favorite things about the resort:
The beach was perfect
The restaurants had a good variety
The Swim up bar was great, the pools were huge and never crowded
The casino
The staff was wonderful

Other Tip:
Stick to simple mixed drinks, there is a language barrier, so if you ask for a vodka soda splash of cran, you just may get a vodka soda and a glass of cranberry juice! Or a vodka cran.. you get the idea :)

Room Tip: The resort is small enough so there isn't a "far off" location, but we had a 1st floor...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Cait G
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My partner and I visited Excellence for our second 3 weeks stay this Feb / March, and it didn't disappoint. It was as lovely as we remembered, and they had made improvements such as the seating area for the Beach restaurant ( Las Olas ). The property is constantly maintained, with gardeners busy all day, along with the pool staff, and is kept immaculately clean. The service is excellent, and we would like to particularly praise Roberto and Yanilka on Guest Services who were extremely helpful and really made our holiday special. Brenda at the Grill, Gabriela at Chez Isabelle, Isinya (not the correct spelling-sorry!) at Agave, Jesus at Spice, and Alexandra who regularly served us drinks (mainly at the Plaza) all also made our holiday even more fantastic.
We will certainly be going back for a 3rd visit and can't wait.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Once again our visit to the excellence ( 8th time) was as good as always, The management and staff were fantastic once again, making a big fuss of us and remembering us from our previous visits, a lot of the staff have become our friends over the years and some even remember our names. The food and facilities at the excellence are first class we cannot praise it enough, We always manage to meet people who we have had the pleasure of meeting before on their return visits , from canada and the usa, especially kath and peter from england who we have met for the past 7years, roll on next march.

1  Thank khp9
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife and I love all inclusive resorts. We have been to Mexico several times and decided to try somewhere different. The Excellence Punta Cana is the nicest resort we have ever visited. The staff, I mean everyone, treated us like royalty. The food at all 9 restaurants was delicious. The cheff "Carlos" prepared a special 5 coarse meal for us, and it was the best meal we have ever had, "EVER". We are accustomed to all inclusive including food and beverages, but at the Excellence, horse back rides on the beach was also included. What a great surprise. I can not mention all the special things the resort and staff did to make this the best vacation we have ever had. It was truly "EXCELLENTE"

1  Thank GordonM172