“The Excellence is excellente!”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #13 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We arrived at the airport and were immediately escorted to the luxury bus that would take us to the Excellence. It was a 50 minute ride to the resort that went by very quickly. Upon arriving at the Excellence, we were greeted with a cool towel and a glass of champagne. A really nice start to a vacation that would prove to be memorable. We were escorted immediately after our glass of champagne to a private check-in at The Excellence Club, which is an upgrade that is well worth the money. Check-in was painless and after you can go up to the private lounge that has great food and drinks for its members. When we were done with our drinks, we were escorted to our room and was greeted by fresh fruit and a bottle of champagne. Our room was a swim up junior suite that was absolutely worth the upgrade to The Excellence Club. It had a beautiful terrace, a hammock, and a great view of the pool and ocean.

To say that the staff was helpful would be an understatement. Every member of the staff would go above and beyond to make sure you were happy during your stay. Every time you would pass a staff member in the hallway they would great you with a smile and say 'hola!'. Everyone made you feel at home. The staff that took care of our room was first rate. The housekeeper that cleaned in the morning made the room look as if you just arrived at the room for the first time. The mini bar was stocked every day and the turn down service happened every day at 7pm.

The pool was huge and clean as was the beach. There were lounge chairs, beach beds and palapas everywhere. You never felt like you were crowded with people. There were waiters everwhere to make sure you had everything you needed. They also came out at lunch and passed out pizza.

The food was great! It wasn't 'New York' 5 star, but it was certainly innovative and delicious. The first night was spent dining at Spice, an Asian inspired restaurant that was great. The tuna rolls were great and the grouper was out of this world. Our waiter, Jonathan, was the best and the sevice was impeccable. Next on our list of the 8 restaurants was Chez Isabelle, a French inspired restaurant that offers a wine list that isn't part of the 'all inclusive' package. We did order from that wine list and the wine service was perfect. The food was delicious and the tenderloin was cooked perfectly. Our waiter, Larry, went above and beyond to make our dining experience a memorable one. The breakfast and lunch buffet were great. There were an endless number of things to choose from. There was something for everyone. The same could be said about the breakfast buffet. All the food was fresh and they were constantly changing pans to make sure everything was hot and fresh. Our waitress, Josalyn, took care of us during breakfast and lunch and remembered what kind of juice we drank and what we liked to drink at lunch. She was outstanding. There were also 'sit down' restaurants for both lunch and dinner.

We opted to do a whole lot of nothing during our stay, but there were numerous activities during the day that you could participate in. The shows at night were certainly entertaining. the Circ de Soleil inspired show was spectacular.

The whole experience was great and would definetly go back. I should also note that we are a gay couple that at no time felt uncomfortable at this resort. We were treated just as every other guest was treated, exceptionally.

Room Tip: Opt for the Excellence Club and get a swim up junior suite.
10  Thank jpmoy
There are newer reviews for Excellence Punta Cana

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I'm delighted that Excellence has the finest service oriented people anywhere I've ever been. I'm sad to report that the resort is not the finest. My wife and I and another couple recently visited the resort and found it wanting in a few areas. We arrived at the resortafter just over an hour in the van The resort is the oldest of the Excellence properties and it shows in room decor, comfort and amenities. the beds were really hard, the hot tub was a first edition with only 6 jets and the sound drift from room to room was disagreeable. Food was acceptable but not nearly what we've become accustomed to at Excellence resorts. A bonus was the beach meal the day of Dominican independence; up until the bugs attacked at sundown. They ( the bugs) drove us from the meal to a restaurant. It was the only day this happened. We also experienced a power outage for approximately 4 hours one day but it was only a minor inconvenience as the sun was out and the drinks were still able to be poured. The entire power grid was disrupted that day and so it was no fault of the resort. We found the grounds to be exceptionally beautiful and spent a short time walikng the groungds each day. We stopped each day as well at the resort's park to feed some of the ducks, fish, turtles flamingos, coots, egrets and other birds who visited or lived there. Our favorite service persons were Altagracia, Wendy, Grisel, and Tito. i'd return but only if I could be assured that Punta Cana Excellence was going to live up to its' name.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tom L
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The resort was beautiful very romantic. The pools are amazing and very big. They have areas that are quieter in case you wanted time alone. They have excellence restaurants to choose from I can’t pick a favorite they were all delicious. The beaches were very clean and so was the water. They have beach beds and chairs with tiki huts and canopy covered beds. They have servers out there all day and as well as the pool. They have show’s every night that are really cool they had a Michael Jackson and an acrobat show while we were there. The staff is very friendly and they take very good care of you. If you’re looking for a romantic vacation this is the place to be! The price is right for what you’re offered. They also have 24 hour room service included! The rooms are really nice we had the smallest one and it was huge! They have a shower that comes out of the ceiling and a large Jacuzzi tub in the room and a balcony. The drinks are strong they don’t skimp out on the alcohol!

Hi

So, another of my reviews about travels in a wheelchair around this wonderful world of ours.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I went to Excellence Punta Cana for our honeymoon.

When we arrived at the hotel we were allocated a wheelchair accessible room that was so far off the charts as far as location, light and position that I refused to stay there. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't normally make a practice of throwing a hissy fit over rooms like this, but this was my honeymoon and the room they gave us had a small balcony with a WALL right in front of it (we had requested a swim up room or similar) and no light got into the room.

So, they moved us to a swim up room that was split level. Yup, they moved a guy in a wheelchair to a room where the bathroom and bedroom were on one level and two steps down to the living area, doors, patio and the pool. The rather embarrassed manager asked that we go for lunch while they tried to find us another room, which we then did.

An hour later, after a great lunch the manager came back and said that they could not find another room for us, but that he had made arrangements that he thought I might like.

What had they done? (And I still can't believe this) THEY HAD BUILT ME A RAMP!
I kid you not. They had their handy man make up a wooden, solid, beautifully designed, robust, completely safe and fully fitted WHEELCHAIR RAMP IN AN HOUR!

Thus I could use the whole of the room without my wife having to put me up and down all of the time.

Now, we always hear horror stories about wheelchair users traveling and finding problems, and I'm sorry that happens - but this is customer service at its most extreme. They had seen the issue, resolved to sort it out and did so quickly, efficiently and in a way that simply would not have occurred to most people traveling in this way or faced with this obstacle.

So, Excellence Punta Cana - take a bow. Your win my Walkie Talkie of the Year Award for Best Customer Service to the Disabled. Hands down.

Now, I hate to burst the bubble, but really guys - sort the food out. It let's you down badly!

More wheelchair inspired travel tips throughout TA - Message me here for more information and please share your travel tips for the disabled with me as I'm starting a forum, hopefully on TA (Hello TA - can I please have my own page?!!) so that those with mobility issues can vacation safely - either alone, with friend or with family.

Share with me and I'll share with the TA world

Cheers

Kevin x

Room Tip: Always, ALWAYS confirm at time of booking and follow through with a call the day before you travel t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kevin F
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We celebrated our 40th here. They have a good anniversary package that includes a couples massage (scalp, neck, shoulders, arms, feet & lower legs), dinner on the beach, and champagne with a fruit basket in the room at arrival. We had a swim-up junior suite in the Excellence club section (building 10) and thought the room was very good and not dated as someone remarked. Perhaps this section is updated. I have to agree that many of the walkways need repair. The grounds otherwise were well maintained, beautiful, and immaculate.
My wife enjoyed drifting around the pool with a float most of the day. We both loved to walk the beach. It was strange to see a beach with wonderful sand and absolutely no shells. Even in the undeveloped area beyond the resort. There was no sign of sea birds either.
The primary reason I gave this a 4 rating was the lack of water sports. They advertise kayaks and Hobie Cats but there is no way a non-expert can get those things into the ocean. We saw a staff member launch the Hobie Cat into the surf to help rescue an overturned double kayak. What a fight he put up to get that over the surf! I read about the rough sea in other reviews but thought that might have been a once in a while thing. It ain't. Too bad the resort did not extend just a few hundred feet to the East. There the beach is sheltered behind reefs and fairly calm.
I also felt the dinners were too variable in quality; except at the Grill where we ate twice. At the Italian and French my meals were good, my wife's OK to poor. The Mexican and Lobster restaurants were disappointing for both of us. We thought the breakfast buffet was great. Room service was good for lunches on your deck.
We were really disappointed with the Excellence Club Concierge. Any non-routine request was beyond their ability to fulfill. My wife would not deal with one of the staff that she felt was simply rude in a request response. Communicating with the staff in general requires a good deal of concentration and requests to repeat.

1  Thank RIsailer
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I enjoyed my holiday very much. The 8 restaurants offered a good variety and great service and very good food. Generally my first experience of an all-inclusive was wonderful. BUT, I had my camera stolen from my room (as well as my room-mate's camera case) and get this: $100.00 from my personally coded wall safe!! When I made a security report, that was stolen from my room too!! Keep your valuables with you at all times.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank gojanicebaker
Reviewed March 10, 2013

After reading reviews of other all inclusives we decided on the Excellence because it had the fewest complaints. We are seasoned cruisers, and were expecting good service, but the customer service was beyond expectations. There was not a request they did not exceed. It was my husband's birthday, I mentioned it in passing and they decorated the room and delivered champagne to the room. ,

The food was good, although not exceptional. It did not really matter to us, because the service was so exceptional. We ate in Barcelona, the Mexican restaurant, Spice, Lobster House and Toscana. Toscana has a wide variety at the buffet and even some local favorites like mofongo, The best meal we had was at Barcelona where we had Spanish omelet and garlic shrimp as appetizer, we both had steaks that were exceptional in tenderness and flavor.

The casino was awful, but I don't blame the hotel as it is contracted. The dealers could not count the black jacks cards correctly and had a bad attitude when called on mistakes.

The bar service on the beach was great, as were the bartenders at all the bars. We tipped which appeared to help, but they were great even before they knew we would tip them.

There was a live show every night that was entertaining, but the sax and piano player before the show always brought flair to standard pieces. he bass player in the house band was exceptionally talented also (to notice a bass player, you know he was awesome!)

The fellow guests were extremely friendly and found they were often engaging us in conversation, the whole atmosphere was very welcoming and casual, without it feeling like we were with drunken spring breakers. The age ranges ran the gambit from 18 year olds with their parents, to honeymooners, 30 something's, to retirees. Everyone mingled.

The rooms are not brand new, but extremely clean. Once again, the pleasant and helpful nature of the staff really trumped anything else I could say that would be negative.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room, they have private hammocks that are preferable to the small balconies.
1  Thank VAWineLovr