“Don't Stay Anywhere else in Punta Cana!”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #13 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Boston
“Don't Stay Anywhere else in Punta Cana!”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This resort was wonderful. We did not upgrade to the Excellence club and don't think you need to spend the extra money. The beach and the staff make the Excellence worth the trip (and the hour long ride from the airport). We were welcomed with glasses of champagne and a friendly "welcome home." While the rooms/buildings could use a little bit of updating, they had everything one needs for a tropical vacation, and all we did was sleep in them, anyways. There was a wonderful rain head shower, a big jacuzzi in the middle of the room, a hammock outside, and we had no problems with the bed being too hard. The room was stocked with alcohol and beer and waters.
The beach was beautiful. There were always enough chairs under shade no matter what time of day it was. Wonderful service on the beach of staff bringing you extra chairs if needed, putting cushions on them and providing towels. The beach drink service was great too, always someone there if you want a drink. The pool area did seem to run out of chairs earlier in the day, especially in the shade, but I didn't travel to the DR to sit by a pool, I went for the beautiful beaches.
The food was so-so. The best we had was probably at the French restaurant. Breakfast had a good variety. The lunch grill is great, too. The drinks were good, although sometimes a little strong. The bartenders seem to know how to make anything. You MUST try a coco-loco! Room service also delivered good food 24 hours a day.
We only watched one of the shows, the Circus show, and if it is going on while you visit, it is a must see. Cirque de sole (sp?) style, they were very talented. We walked by the disco show which seemed a little silly.
We happened to be staying over valentines day and they set up a big valentines day dinner outside around the pool area. That was a nice touch.
The only negative I can think of was the spa. I have gotten many massages in my life in the States and abroad and this was perhaps the worse one I have ever gotten! I had to stop the girl halfway through because I was afraid she was going to damage something.
But otherwise, the staff was second to none. Everyone always smiling and asking what they can do for you. I would 100% recommend the Excellence. It is definitely a romantic so maybe not with your friends or family but a wonderful couples vacation.

Room Tip: We were in building 12 which was one of the furthest away from the main resort, I would ask for one...
3 Thank sox33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,601)
  • Korean first
DOVER
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This will be a long review so I will break it into sections. We just did 7 Nights at Excellence Punta Cana.
Room: We booked an Excllence Ocenaview Suite, and got room 10105, This room had the most remarkable views of the ocean and pool with two huge balconies.If you book this type of room ask for this room # you wont be sorry, also if anyone wants a pic of the view from the room I will be glad to email one, just let them know. Also, don't think the Excellence club is worth the extra money!
Food: This is the only reason I did not give the resort a 5 star, the food is not very good. I hate to even say anything bad about such a wonderful place but its just the truth, I thought I would starve while I was there, because none of the food was good. The best places to eat at are Spice and The Lobster House. Also, I felt like I had to really work to get a drink, take this tip to heart, when you go to eat at any of the restaurants make sure to take a quick minute to stop by the martini bar or the theater bar and get a drink to take in with you, because you will be done eating before your drink will ever come. This was at all the restaurants, and it was happening to everyone! Eat lunch at Las Olas, they had hotdogs and hamburgers that were edible. Breakfast was awful!!
Beach: We would get up every morning to get one of the beach beds which were awesome, and just stick our bag on it, we were able to get it everyday. The pool really fills up faster than the beach, so depending on which place you want to be at.
Excursions: Diego booked us a dune buggy ride, you will see them walking around in orange shirts selling excursions. It was fun to go into town and see the poverty stricken way they live, makes you realize how lucky you are. You will get filthy, just be prepared, to take something to wrap around your face so you don't breath in all the dust from the roads. Also do the free 30 minute horseback ride, it was the funnest time, definetley book it early, and don't miss it!!
Staff: So very friendly, everyone is ready to say Ola! You wont go wrong with this resort, been to tons of all inclusives, this is the best one I promise!!
Also, regarding the one hour drive from the airport, just sit back and enjoy it, take in all the sights of the locals, and you get to see how they live!!

Room Tip: If you have an excellence oceanview suite get room 0105, you wont be sorry!!! I bet its the best in...
3 Thank CAROL L
Maumee, Ohio
Reviewed March 7, 2013

First visit to DR for us. We used Trip Advisor reviews and our experience at Excellence in Mexico to make our decision. Have to say, all you folks gushing about this property is a little over the top. It's a bit tired, actually. They need to spend a few bucks for basic maintenance and sprucing-up. The terracotta walk ways are deteriorating into dangerous ankle-breakers. And what's a visit to the Carribean without a cockroach story! Only one visitor on day three, but he was an impressive 3 centimeters! The staff does a good job overall, but there seems to be a higher than usual number of them who have that lousy habit of serving you without really looking at you or communicating beyond 'how may I help you?' They're busy chit-chatting with their buddy's (in Spanish) thinking that no one can understand them. By the way, their conversation isn't necessarily flattering to the guests! The food was average, at best. Many reviewers confuse quantity with quality. Best dinner was at the French restaurant on Saturday. Went back on Sunday - went from great to good. Overall we are disappointed in the VALUE of our five days there. May look at DR in a few years, different property. Until then, there are other places in the world to explore!

5 Thank RoamingBuckeye
Graytown, Ohio
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was our second stay at the Excellence Resort, and it continues to exceed all expectations. The food is fabulous and the staff outstanding. There is nothing you might want that you can't get at this resort. They even spray for mosquitos every night, so no need to bring bug spray. You will not find better service anywhere. There was not one staff member that would not go above and beyond for even tiny requests. You will not regret your stay!

Room Tip: Don't bother with a pool side room. You'll just have people walking outside your window all...
2 Thank Cathryn B
Rock Valley, Iowa
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My wife and I just got back from an amazing 7 night stay at the Excellence Punta Cana. We did the upgrade to the Excellence Club. Not really sure if it was worth it but really don t care because the place was so impresive. The workers everywhere were awsome the grounds well maintaine. The only problem we had was the electric shut off a couple time but it coverd the whole area. One other thing is I relize this is an adults only resort but maybe they could some how be more discreat with channel 96 but we are all adults and don t have to watch it either. I truley would suggest the Chex Isabell restraunt to eat at but I could not complain about the others. The night shows were very impressive. Wet several wouderful people from around the world. If we can we will return. The nice thing is we didn t have to deal childern not that I don t like them I have 4 wonderful grandchildren but it nice to not have kids splashing in the pools. The size of the resort is really nice it is not to big that you need golf carts to take you around.

Room Tip: There is really not a bad room
3 Thank 474myronk474
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have to say that I've been using TripAdvisor to help plan vacations for awhile and this is my first review. I have to start with this property because it is absolutely amazing! My boyfriend and I went there in Feb of 2012 and had our best vacation to date.

Check-in was a breeze - we were offered champagne upon entering the property. Our first room didn't have the greatest view and we were immediately upgraded to an oceanfront property. Every restaurant is great - our favorite was the Asian-inspired Spice. The drinks at the pool and beach were all amazing. The best is the frozen cocktail where the bartender literally uses a machete to cut open a coconut in front.

I loved the interaction with the different wildlife around the resort. From the flamingos to the parrots.. we also did the horseback riding on the beach and the dune buggey tour. I can't say enough good things about this resort, the staff and accommodations.. Definitely worth the extra $$

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amanda V
Scotland
Reviewed March 5, 2013

It is now four weeks Since we have returned from our 5th holiday at the Excellence Punta Cana. We visited on the 21st of January until the 4 th of February. We had an amazing two weeks holiday, as expected.
We take a private taxi from the airport to the excellence, as my wife doesn't travel we'll on buses. and the roads arent that good. The journey takes approx fifty minutes.
On arrival at the hotel we were met by our old friend, Darvin one of the bell boys, he is a charming young man and always willing to help.we were presented with A glass of sparkling wine,and a refresher towel.
we were then led to the reception.
We were greeted at reception by marlon, Edwin ,Dario, Pauline,and Nicholas, friends we have known from past visits here.they are all very friendly and jovial characters.
We were shown to our room, which had a stunning garden view, which I prefer.
We ate in every restaurant at the excellence, all were very good but our favourite was the Spice, with excellent service from Jesus and his attentive team. And not forgetting Libett the lovely hostess.
I do get a little tired of reading people's complaints that the food doesn't taste like at home , of course it doesn't your in the Dominican Republic. However we were really impressed with the food, and we're lucky enough to meet the executive chief, and he made us some special dishes,which were amazing. (Many thanks)
We like to dine early , so we dont miss the shows
Before or after dinner you can relax to the music by Domingo, the saxophonist. A very talented musician. Then it's show time . Here at the hotel they put on some fantastic shows, the circus, Michael Jackson, and the Dominican night,
At the rear of the hotel, they have the gardens. These gardens have ponds,with lots of wildlife, herons ,egrets, woodpeckers,flamingos,ducks. Being an armature photographer, I spend a lot of time here. I have attached a few photos.Just to show you whats there.
There are so many staff we have met at the excellence over the years,and you always find them the same way, (smiling happy helpfull people).
From Linda Bauer who is head concierge, she is a gem, nothing is ever a problem to her. She loves her job and loves even more to make your holiday the best ever. Another person here is mr Roberto , public relations he is the man along with Linda , go the extra mile to make your stay there perfect.his assistant Yanilka is being taught by the master, and it shows,she is always there with a lovely smile.
There isn't-one person here who won't go that extra mile for you.
I have been fortunate enough to have traveled to many country's over the years, and have never met friendlier people than the staff at the excellence PUNTA Cana.
Mr oriol albach has carried on the fantastic running of this hotel since being appointed general manager.he too is always on hand to make it a perfect holiday.
We can't wait untill we return next January.and also meet up with our Canadian friends,who also like us fell in love with the excellence hotel and staff.

6 Thank MortyScotland