This resort was wonderful. We did not upgrade to the Excellence club and don't think you need to spend the extra money. The beach and the staff make the Excellence worth the trip (and the hour long ride from the airport). We were welcomed with glasses of champagne and a friendly "welcome home." While the rooms/buildings could use a little bit of updating, they had everything one needs for a tropical vacation, and all we did was sleep in them, anyways. There was a wonderful rain head shower, a big jacuzzi in the middle of the room, a hammock outside, and we had no problems with the bed being too hard. The room was stocked with alcohol and beer and waters.
The beach was beautiful. There were always enough chairs under shade no matter what time of day it was. Wonderful service on the beach of staff bringing you extra chairs if needed, putting cushions on them and providing towels. The beach drink service was great too, always someone there if you want a drink. The pool area did seem to run out of chairs earlier in the day, especially in the shade, but I didn't travel to the DR to sit by a pool, I went for the beautiful beaches.
The food was so-so. The best we had was probably at the French restaurant. Breakfast had a good variety. The lunch grill is great, too. The drinks were good, although sometimes a little strong. The bartenders seem to know how to make anything. You MUST try a coco-loco! Room service also delivered good food 24 hours a day.
We only watched one of the shows, the Circus show, and if it is going on while you visit, it is a must see. Cirque de sole (sp?) style, they were very talented. We walked by the disco show which seemed a little silly.
We happened to be staying over valentines day and they set up a big valentines day dinner outside around the pool area. That was a nice touch.
The only negative I can think of was the spa. I have gotten many massages in my life in the States and abroad and this was perhaps the worse one I have ever gotten! I had to stop the girl halfway through because I was afraid she was going to damage something.
But otherwise, the staff was second to none. Everyone always smiling and asking what they can do for you. I would 100% recommend the Excellence. It is definitely a romantic so maybe not with your friends or family but a wonderful couples vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This quaint, colonial-style resort is the ideal destination for couples seeking secluded romantic getaways. Nestled among palms on a perfect white-sand beach on a remote stretch of Punta Cana's Caribbean shoreline, Excellence Punta Cana provides the perfect All-Inclusive playground for adults only and is also home to a world-class spa, state-of-the-art fitness center and an exceptional range of activities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, BookIt.com, Savannahville Tours N.V., Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Excellence Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Excellence Punta Cana
- Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Resort
- Secrets Punta Cana
- Excellence Punta Cana Dominican Republic
- Excellence Dominican Republic
- Punta Cana Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Punta Cana Hotel
- Secret Excellence Resort Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Secrets Excellence