“Fabulous Vacation...Fabulous Resort”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We just returned from a 5 night stay at this beautiful resort. And when I say beautiful...I mean beautiful. I cannot say anything negative about the grounds, rooms, pools, beach, entertainment, service or the staff. We had a dream vacation and it was fabulous! I have no doubt that we will return and I have already told all my friends and family that they have to plan a vacation here! The only thing negative is probably the food. And, I don't mean this to say it was all bad. We did have a couple of dinners in the evening that were not good. But, just order something else! Or, better yet...order room service and enjoy your dinner on your patio! We had lunch everyday on the Beach Grill and loved it!
Thank you Excellence Resort for making our vacation an wonderful experience!
Kristin S.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (13,674)

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We spend one week at The Excellence Punta Cana from 16th February 2013 and it was absolutely fantastic. The staff are the most helpful and friendly I have come across. We were met from our taxi with a glass of champagne and shown to our room which was beautiful and spotless; they even provided incense sticks and holder for us. There was a daily maid service with turn down if we required it. Branded spirits provided along with toiletries and hairdryer. The food in all of the many restaurants was amazing (except the grill beach bar). The two swimming pools were heavenly with towels provided on double sunbeds. The beach and service on the beach was great but there was a red flag out every day just outside the hotel. However, if you walked along the beach to the right the natural reef allows for swimming in calm turquise sea. The couples massage was wonderful and well worth the money. The full day trip to Saona Island was brilliant, however we did get upset stomachs from the salad on the island so don't eat there - get the hotel to do you a packed lunch instead. Everyone we met at the hotel was also enjoying it and the evening entertainment we saw was first class. I would definately go back. Thank you to the wonderful staff at the Excellence for making it such a memorable holiday. :)

Room Tip: The garden facing rooms are a little noisy due to insects buzzing and birds singing all night lol! B...
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Excellence Punta Cana from Feb 19th through Feb Feb 26th. We cannot stress how much we both enjoyed the resort and how relaxed we were.

This is a smaller resort but does not feel cramped. You are not really aware of other gustes as there are plenty of cabanas, loungers and areas to hide yourself away. The beach is magnificent and you can literally walk for hours feeling completely safe.

The ocean directly in front of the resort is rough - the red flag is never in. However if you walk 10 minutes south (right of the hotel) there is an extermely quiet bay where the water is calm and protected.

The restaurants do not take reservations but we never waited for more than a couple of minutes. Well above average resort food - presentation and service first class. If you are looking for Michelin 5 star go to Paris.

Fabulous pool area where the only problem was a group of car salesman on a company trip who behaved like depraved 2 year olds. They behaved so badly in the restaurant one night other guests walked out. They monopolized the swim up bar area but that didnt bother us much because were at the beach most of the time. That car company lost a lot of face due to the behavior of the group!

We have already booked again for November this ytear and Feb next year so that will tell you how much we enjoyed it.

Room Tip: Wait until you arrive then ask for Excellence Club upgrade.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank jakemister
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I just returned from 12 days at this resort (2 days short due to a family emergency )- that was complicated by the lack of a telephone answering service in the room and staff that had difficulty with msgs of any sort. The staff are actually very helpful, pleasant and caring. There is no non-smoking areas except the reataurants that are open air and surrounded by smokers! Cigars and cigarettes are everywhere - even ash remnants in the pool where folks are at liberty to eat, drink and smoke. The food is sub-standard at best given the price - except for the French and Chinese restaurant which are most acceptable. Dessert is a strange and tasteless commodity almost everywhere. Activities - other than eating, drinking and smoking are not very challenging or exciting........Love the staff. The waitresses in the restaurant in their while dresses remind me of a convent and their smiles and caring is the best part of any meal!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband & I recently returned from what turned into a 14-day stay at Excellence Punta Cana. We had a wonderful time from our arrival to our departure.
The customer service at this resort is excellente' from their grounds, maintenance and housekeeping staff right up through their management team. Any request we had was handled in a very timely manner and immediately followed up with a phone call. During our stay we experienced a cancelled return flight due to weather in NYC and Robert Puello in Guest Services was a tremendous help in this matter. His extremely competent, professional and caring manner turned what was a stressful situation into a very seamless transition. He made us feel like we were the only ones at the resort AND he never forgot our names.
Kudos also to Omar on the beach and Neilson at the Martini Bar for their great attention and attitude. No one was ever too busy to smile and ask how you were. Martirez is an omelette machine at the breakfast buffet -- he will make you smile. Our favorite restaurants for dinner were Spice and Toscana as well as dinner on the beach, but the fact that you don't have to make reservations at ANY restaurant is the best. The Activities Staff works really hard and the nightly shows are wonderful with a nice variety of entertainment.
This resort is probably the cleanest we have ever been to and this includes the rooms, the beach, the pool, all the grounds, and the common areas. The staff at this resort oviously takes pride in their work and it shows.
Regarding tipping, sometimes we did, sometimes we didn't and we didn't notice any difference in service -- it was still excellente'. Sometimes a smile and "how are you" goes a long way.
Our transport to and from the airport was prearranged and handled by VIP Travel and we were very pleased with their service as well. Their on-site representative at the resort is Juan and he also handled all of our off-site excursions (which were awesome), and he was helpful in assisting us throught the flight cancellation/rescheduling matter.
We highly recommend Excellence Punta Cana and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank KarDan43
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Well we returned for our third visit and everthing was great.

Room: We stayed in 11201 on the third floor. AC worked perfectly,maid service was great and bar fridge was well stocked every day.

Food was excellent. We did every a la carte except the Lobster House which we used for breakfast because of the view.

Beach was spotless as usual except for peoples cigarette butts. Not the resorts fault but a turnoff for me. Please dispose of them properly and do not bury them. The water was rough but a little way around the corner toward Sirrenis was a nice calm area for swimming.

All the staff were friendly and pleasant. Too many to list but we will say hello to Roberto in Customer services and Linda Bauer who runs a great place.

We flew Air Transat Club Class and highly recommend them as they treated us great and will fly with them again.

We were there for eleven days and loved it.

We will be back for a fourth visit.

Linda and Steve

Room Tip: Excellence club is nice as you have access to certain privelages but all rooms are good. We stay...
3  Thank steeeve
Reviewed February 26, 2013

After reading trip advisor all summer long trying to find a place to spend our winter vacation we decided on Excellence Punta Cana after all the great reviews. We stayed 10 days from Feb 11 to 21.

The staff around the pool, beach and all the bars are EXCELLENT, they go above and beyond to help and serve you. They remember you and what your drink of preference is. Sometimes all I had to do was just look at Pedro or Edgar from my floating mattress and they would have my drink for me. Here is a tip, if you don't ask for the top shelf liquor they won't give it to you. I like Stoli vodka and they have it but unless you tell them from the beginning they won't give it to you. Make sure to ask for your liquor of choice.

Our 1st morning there I went out to get some chairs around the pool with shade but noticed they all had towels on them already. After asking the pool concierge what was going on they told me that they put towels out on the chairs. As long as they are rolled up and there are no personal items on the chair, the chairs are free to take. Unfortunately they don't tell you this when you check it, so hopefully this will help others who are going there.

We booked our trip in September 2012 and emailed the resort months before our arrival asking for a few things. We booked the Excellence Club and requested a room in building 6 or 7 facing the east, unfortunately they were not able to accommodate us. I later found out from people we met that they arrived the day after and didn't upgrade to Excellence Club until they arrived and they were giving their building of choice which was one we had requested. I recommend that you wait till you get to the resort to book the Excellence Club and negotiate with them on site a see the room a head. You would think after booking 5 month a head would he but apparently it doesn't. The Excellence is worth it, especially if you like sitting at the beach. You also get a better room service menu which we used for breakfast a few times. If you don't like the local wine they have in the room you can phone room service and request a bottle of the Gato Negro which it better then the local wine.

We booked the Excellence Club because we were told that we would get special treatment, part of the treatment would them checking up on us part way through our holiday. We never heard from anyone the whole time we were there. We never received are fresh daily fruit in our room that they say we should get. The news paper was hit and miss a few times I had to ask for it. What would have really been nice would have been a call from them to see how things are going. It shouldn't be up to me to go after them.

We tried most of the a la carte restaurants except for Toscano and Barcelona. We did Chez Isabelle and Spice twice and Oregano once. They were very good and service was good. We did The Grill three times and the first two times were great but the third time was disappointing. It was a very busy night and we had a later dinner, I ordered the beef tenderloin and shrimp. When I finally got my dinner it wasn't what I ordered and when I asked they said they ran out of tenderloin and just brought me something else. They should have told me they were out and I would have ordered something else. We did Algave once and it was good, but I'm not a big on Mexican food but what had was good. We did the Lobster House once and that was enough for us. It wasn't terrible, but its not the type of Lobster we are use to eating.

We were in building 8 on the 2nd floor just above where all the delivery trucks come in to deliver towels and other supplies for the maids, so you hear them early in the morning and later in the day. We like to sit on our balcony after spending the day at the pool and play cards the whole time we would spend out there it was a stream of trucks. I would suggest if they give either 8012, 8112 or 8212 ask for a different room.

The room was clean ever day and towels were stocked up every day. My wife would complain from the lack of face cloths. On our arrival to our room they were stocking our fridge with coke and other soft drinks, I requested to have less soft drinks and more club soda. We don't drink coke. Every day they would put more coke and no club soda. I would have to go and ask for some at the Excellence Club. One would think if the coke is never used and only club soda bottles are being used they would put more club soda and less coke, but that didn't happened. This is something they need to work on.

Nightly entertainment was pretty good. We enjoyed the the circus show was good, but we really enjoyed when Gustavo came out with his guitar and sang. He was really good at interacting with the audience and was better then most of the features. He was the only entertainer that would get encores. They need to have him play more often.

I would recommend this hotel, but make sure you ask for what you want. You shouldn't have to complain to get something you paid for. If I go back I would certainly let them know when I arrive and I wouldn't book the Excellence Club till I arrived.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not beside the path the delivery trucks use. Ask for premium liquor and wine...
5  Thank RegCin