“Relaxation”

Ranked #14 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Relaxation”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We have been to the Excellence Resort in Punta Cana several years in a row. The staff are very friendly and as helpful as you could ask for. The beauty of the Dominican is personified at the Excellence. We love every trip we have taken and plan to return for many years to come.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Monica B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,602)
  • Korean first
Iowa City, IA
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is the 5th all inclusive resort that my husband and I have stayed at and by far the best. The facilities, staff, and beauty of the resort were top notch. Excellence is much better than other all inclusives as you are able to eat at the a la carte restaurants every night with no reservation and no limit. You are able to get breakfast and lunch at the a la cartes as well. This makes the food at this all inclusive much better than at others. The staff is truly unbelievable--they do not miss a beat and go out of their way to make your experience excellent.

Some things you need to know...

1. The Beach/Ocean--the beach is fabulous. Beautiful water and beautiful sand. The water is rough, it was red flags during our entire stay. If you are looking for calm waters for ocean swimming this is not the resort for you. We just wanted a beautiful beach and water so it was perfect for us.

2. Location--the resort is an hour drive from the airport. There is no shopping or entertainment close by. The resort has all of this so you never need to leave the resort. Excursion options are plentiful.

3. Food--the food in the buffet is not very good. We ended up eating breakfast, lunch and dinner at the a la carte restaurants and found the food to be fabulous. Our favorites for dinnner were "The Grill"' and the French restaurant. There is an open air grill on the beach that has daily lunch specials--always good!

4. Beds--The only reason I did not give the resort a "5" rating is because of the bed. Our bed was rock hard. I could not sleep and was literally in pain (back, hips, neck) by the second day. I asked for some extra sheets and slept on the couch for the rest of our trip. If you are a very sound sleeper or like a very firm bed you will probably be ok. I have very young kids and was really looking forward to good nights sleep. Unfortunately, I did not get it.

5. Gym and Jogging Track--Excellent gym facilities and a gravel jogging track through a botanical garden. I loved using the track during our stay. Very nice touch!

6. Spa--beautiful spa and the staff here is excellent. The service prices are pretty expensive but they run daily specials. Watch for the specials and book then.

7. The Crowd--this resort seemed to be an older crowd. My husband and I are in our mid-30s and were some of the youngest people there. Most couples were over 50. If you're looking for a party atmosphere this is not your resort. We were interested in relaxation so found it perfect!

I would love to go back again, but would need to know that the beds are improved. Please, Excellence improve the comfort of your beds, then this would be the PERFECT package!!

2 Thank EmilyC_IA633
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed February 11, 2013

The Great Things: We stayed in a junior swim up suite in Excellence Club. It was worth it because I could always just pop back into my room to use the bathroom and we had chairs outside on our patio right in front of the pool. It was quiet and relaxing. The omelette station was the best! Homemade salsa was awesome. We at at every restaurant and surprisingly Spice was our favorite. Los Olas for lunch (it is the beach side grill). The burgers are really good. We were never without a drink... We would tip a $20 at the pool and had amazing service all that day! I only used the 24 room service once, except I always asked them to bring bottled water daily. The NOT so Good: DO NOT USE TAP WATER TO BRUSH YOUR TEETH! I did and caught a brief but horrible overnight stomach bug :( which later turned into a UTI.) Use bottle water for teeth brushing! Do not bother making conversation as most of the employees speak very little English. The shower water felt gross and smelled like reclaimed water (sprinkler/golf course water), so you never felt clean and my hair felt gross. Overall it was a good trip. Do not order the turkey panini off the room service menu....tasted strange. The bed was VERY hard. It is merely impossible to not have a few hiccups when traveling abroad.

Room Tip: Junior Swim Up - Excellence Club
2 Thank Laurabeth32
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Great resort where service is their number one priority. You need about 10 days to settle in and find the right food and drinks for your taste. The beach is first class and the pools are very nice. The nightly shows are also good and give you something to do. Highly recommend this resort!!!!

New Jersey
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We came to Excellence in late August/early September, during the off-peak season, and it was quiet and relaxing. The resort was less than half-full, and we truly felt like the we had the place to ourselves.

After the drive from the airport (about an hour), we were warmly welcomed with champagne as we headed to check in. Check in was a breeze, and the open air lobby area is gorgeous. The rooms were nice; quite large, with an unobstructed view of the ocean and beach from the balcony. After one day there, we realized that the balcony doors must be closed all the way in order for the air conditioner to start in the room. Interesting feature. Housekeeping could not have been more lovely--non-intrusive but helpful when you needed them. I requested more coffee and received it immediately. When we did not want to be disturbed, we were given our space.

The grounds were very nice, and the pool area is large. Due to the lack of crowds, we had the pool practically to ourselves, as well as the lounge chairs. The beach was great too; there was an ample amount of space and lounge chairs, and was somwhat private. The surf was rough when we visited, so we mainly swam in the pools.

There are vendors on the premises that visit. They are somewhat agressive with their selling tactics, but friendly enough. At first glance appear to be resort empolyees.

All of the restaurants were great. We particularly loved the Lobster House, and ended up there two nights in a row. There were plently of choices. The breakfast buffett was wonderful! So many juices (watermelon juice, yum!).

We lost money in the casino (of course), but liked the fact that they had one. It is small, and very 1970s-gaudy, or, if you prefer, retro-not-so-chic. It was cool in a kitschy kind of way. I think the slot machines still spt out quarters.

They offered a lot of activities like Pilates, Yoga, and Spanish lessons) plus some fun night activities like karaoke, and a Michael Jackson impersonator who was actually quite good. They love MJ in the DR. We were also free to just relax in peace if we wanted. My husband did take an ATV tour on the beach that he said was interesting.

It is a far drive from the airport. But we had a fabulous time there.

Room Tip: Close the Balcony and romm doors all the way, otherwise the AC will not turn on.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LaBurladdora
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Feb 3 - Feb 8th My wife and I just recently returned from our trip here. It was so relaxing. The staff was nice, polite, friendly, and went out of their way to make us happy. There were staff cleaning and doing upkeep all the time. This resort was consistently working at maintaining a perfect atmosphere. We never wanted for food or drink. I am perplexed by the reviews that knock the food here. There were some that weren't to my taste, but the quality was always top notch. We can't wait to return.

1 Thank jon b
New Jersey
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I vacationed here with my sister and her husband from Jan 31 to Feb 9.

I loved the beach here and thought one of the best things about it was the fact that there were no other resorts around. If you're concerned about the rough surf, you can find a spot without breakers to bob around on the right facing the ocean just a few yards away from the resort boundary - and within sight of the place we sat all week. If you walk a few minutes more there's an even bigger area that's calm. We brought our mask and snorkels, but there's not much to see here. Be careful of the coral! There were people riding the waves with boogie boards everyday and it was fun to watch them. My husband and brother-in-law both used them one day but weren't able to catch the waves most of the time.

We took advantage of the 30 min horse back ride on the beach that is provided by the resort. I haven't been on a horse since I was a kid (so 50 years?) but the horses are pretty small and I enjoyed it but wouldn't want to do it for any longer. We contemplated going on a snorkeling excursion, but heard we'd have to travel more than an hour each way so decided against. I recommend walking the grounds, they are beautifully maintained and lovely to see. The flamingoes in the "Ecological Park" were a nice touch I thought.

The food was fine, for the most part. I did think the meal I had at Agave was perhaps cooked at another site and then reheated at the restaurant. The red wine was pretty good and if you don't like what's poured, they'll offer other options. We enjoyed the espresso martinis at the bar in the lobby. I think the quality of drinks was very high and they certainly were plentiful. We were offered the "drink of the day" every morning on the beach around 10:00.

Towards the end of our stay they put out floats in the pool and we had no trouble finding ones to use. I enjoyed my time in the pool, but the only day I burned was the day I lounged on the pool float. Coincidence?

We stayed in Room 6107, that's in the arm of building 6 that faces a pond. It had a view of the mountains (as well as a work building that wasn't quite as beautiful) and we enjoyed sitting on the balcony before getting ready for dinner. It was quiet and peaceful. The other 2 arms seemed to be a bit noiser - one faces the elevator and the other is along the staff access route (lots of carts rumbling along there). Bldg 6 is closest to the restaurants, lobby and beach/pool access. A very nice touch was the paper the turn down service left every night detailing what was happening the next day - just like you get on a cruise. It cracked up my husband that they listed sunrise an hour late every day.

One huge thing to note is that if you have a gluten allergy please bring it to the attention of management immediately and ask to speak to the head chef. My sister informed guest services of her condition, was given a card to show to the wait staff at all of the restaurants, but was made sick twice during the stay. Once management was consulted, they made sure all the rest of her meals (once she was well enough to eat that is) were really gluten free. They also bent over backwards to try and make it up to my sister.

I loved our stay here but feel I should mention the property is revealing its age a bit. The day I arrived, I was surprised to see cracks (mended) in the marble steps and in the bathroom as well as other places that either had been or needed to be repaired. After a couple of days I stopped noticing those kinds of things, I think because the beauty of Punta Cana and the excellent service were so impressive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends