New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Excellence Punta Cana

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 107 Hotels in Punta Cana
Brampton
“Exceeded Expectations for our Anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had read a lot of the reviews on Tripadvisor, some very positive and some a little negative. We absolutely loved this resort, the service was fantastic, you could do what you want, when you wanted to do it. There were a lot of options for food, we tried almost all of them and enjoyed all of them. We had our anniversary dinner at Chez Isabelle and they had personalized our menu for us, we have every intention of going back to this resort and are looking forward to it. My only suggestion to you, would be to avoid the locals off the resort, and the stores at the end of the resort that are not associated with the resort to the best of my knowledge. Pool bartenders were great as was the room service and the maids. Thank You for a wonderful experience!!!

Room Tip: We had a room in the 1400 block on the top floor, 14206 overlooking the ocean and pool area. Vaulted...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank golf_nut483

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,245)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was my 3rd trip to Dominican Republic and was by far my best experience because of the Excellence Punta Cana. First and foremost, the staff are EXCEPTIONAL. My sister had been extremely ill requiring hospital stay for 3 days and 2 nights and the concierge staff including Roberto Puello, Yalinda, and others of whose names I unfortunately can't remember but whose faces I'll never forget, organized a free taxi ride for myself and my family, which was a cost of 120 dollars american as the hospital is 1 hour away, provided get well soon flowers for her and suggested use of an Ipad with movies, take away food from the hotel and so forth to make her feel comfortable. They also reimbursed my sister's taxi ride back from the hospital to the hotel-they truly made us feel at home and continuously followed up with us by leaving messages on our hotel room phone and in person. To add, I too was also sick-experienced an allergic reaction, and was able to get medical attention from the on staff doctor who was able to provide treatment without problem-this doctor also tended to my sister who suggested she required ambulance transportation to the hospital in the first place. So needless to say, the service is impecible!

The hotel overall really is excellent. It is extremely close to the beach and stretches approximately 2km of beach with no other resorts next to it. There is no requirement of bracelets like most other hotels and there is no need for reservations for the many restaurants that they offer. On the beach, they have not only beach chairs but also queen sized beds with pillows that you can also lay on. There is food at the beach bar from 12pm-4pm and the bar itself is close by but no worries, there are people coming around continuously asking for your drink order at your chair.

The room we stayed in was beautiful. As you enter to your left there is a mini fridge with water, fanta, coke you name it's in it and on the counter are nuts, crackers, and even OREOS! There is also liqour in the room for your pleasure. There is a stand up shower that is see through to the room and a huge jacuzzi bath. The patio is also nice with sliding doors. The beds are a bit hard but comfortable and large. Often the maids, if you leave them a nice gift or tip, will leave you flowers on the bed or towel animals. The room, for the short time we were in it, was great.

The food I enjoyed most was at the following restaurants: Spice, Toscana, Agave, and the Grill. There was also a really great Mexican food restaurant but of it's name I can't remember. Given I have allergies to dairy products, I felt there were enough food options for me. At the Grill, I was surprised to see gluten free options on their menu so for all you Glutards out there not to worry-you'll be fine. I'm not sure from a vegetarian option if there was enough but you'd get by for sure.

There's lots to do for activities both at the pool side and at the sports bar. At there sports bar you can do archery, gun shooting, ping pong, phooze ball, and play pool and along the pool side there are often games such as bingo etc being played. They also teach scuba diving at the hotel as well as do aquatic fit classes. The entertainment staff including Super Willy, Ross, and Hubert are absolutely exceptional, extremely friendly, and fun. Who knows, if you're lucky, you may see Super Willy rap to Eminem on stage!! :-) Also, just to add, they do horseback riding on the beach and even did a horse show on the beach-it was great!

Speaking of entertainment, what I think I loved most in comparison to other hotels is that after the main show, they had an individual acoustic artist play for one hour at the piano bar-Gustavo Del La Cruz. His presence demands an audience as his voice and musical talent are out of this world. He speaks to your soul and gives you that mmmmm feeling. He covers songs from Nirvana to Coldplay to Oasis and also sings songs he has written himself and sells a CD after the show. He is Argentinian and sings songs in both Spanish and English-he has a sexy raspy voice-he's just awesome!

Well..overall it was a fantastic resort to stay in for a week and my family loved it so much they would go back! Thank you to everyone at the Excellence hotel who made this trip worth while! Lots of love to you from Canada!

Elisabeth McLatchie, Room 6210

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Elisabeth M
Bournemouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed here in October this year, having previously stayed in the Excellence in Mexico Playa del Carmen. Our overall perception was that the staff in DR were very friendly and willing to help but that the standard overall was not on a par with Mexico. This was very true for the Club upgrade which we did pay for but probably wished we hadn't. Although it was nice to have an area of the beach with nice beds, there was little else that distinguished it from the other rooms. The Club lounge was really poor - very small and not at all luxurious. Bedrooms are spacious but not sure who designed the bathrooms. Due to the glass panel between the bedroom and the bathroom, if you put the light on in the bathroom during the night, you do wake your partner up as it shines straight onto the bed. Also I prefer a separate toilet as it seems more hygienic than having to step out of the shower and stand right next to the toilet to dry off.

I would like to say many thanks to the staff who made our stay memorable. In particular, Carlos the Head Chef who cooked us some fantastic meals (many thanks Carlos - you were fantastic) and also the gentleman who was the Concierge who kept coming to find us each day to see if there was anything he could do - unfortunately I cannot remember his name but he had the most wonderful smile :-)

Make sure you take mosquito spray and more - we got bitten to death during our stay as did most other guests. We visited the pharmacy to buy some antihistamine cream. We were charged $20 but we met other guests who bought the same and were charged $35 - better to go prepared I would say.

Overall, we had a good holiday. I have given 4 out of 5 rather than 5 out of 5, as the Club upgrade is too expensive for what you get.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FergieBournemouth
Salisbury, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

We went to Playa Mujeres for our Honeymoon and loved it. They had a main pool with swim up bar right in the center and a couple private pools for relaxing. The beach there was the downfall. Food there was pretty good, not great. Hot stuff was usually a little cool.

Punta Cana was had the same cool food situation going on. The main pool had the swim up bar hidden in the back part of the pool. The beach was definitely nicer. My biggest complaint, I don't remember this being a problem at PM, was that the only private pool we found had ash trays at every table and people were smoking all around us. We had to go to the center pool and they had crazy music blasting the whole time so it was a lose lose. As for the shows at night neither location had great shows.

All in all it was a good vacation, we were saying we could t wait to go back to an Excellence resort after PM but after this trip I think we'll feel better about trying out a new place next time.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank JeffNewman
sea island georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

had meager expectations but was very pleasantly surprised.
we live in a 5 * resort ( sea island) but the service here is far superior
not only great service but the entire staff seems to have great attitude and the service appears to come from the heart
beach is outstanding
food and entertainment is good
room and overall property is 4 star
but
SERVICE IS TREMENDOUS AND ELEVATES THE ENTIRE STATUS OF THE VACATION
will DEFINITELY return

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank brainctr1
Southern Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was our 3rd trip to Punta Cana and we have gone to the Mayan Riviera 5 times including both of the Excellence resorts in Mexico. With one exception all of our trips have been to adults only resorts so I feel that we have a good basis on which to compare this resort.
We travelled with one other couple, using IBK Transfers for private transfers to the resort and had a good experience with them. They were there at the airport waiting for us with a sign when we got there, and picked us up at the hotel for the return transfer, arriving approximately 10 minutes before the arranged time. The transfer took approximately 1 hour and the roads were no worse than back roads I have seen in Southern Ontario/Western New York.
We arrived at the hotel at 5:00 pm and check in was quick and we were taken to our rooms right away. We had requested rooms near each other and this was granted with rooms on the second floor in building 6. We felt the room location was very good, close to the lobby and restaurants as well as the swim up bar in the pool. Our friends had a view of the swim up bar from their balcony while we had a garden view. The balcony is much smaller than the one at EPM which had a bed on it and also did not have the hammock that the ERC had. The room had a bit of a musty odour which is not unusual in the Caribbean and was nicely decorated. The mini bar was well equipped although the only things we ever used were the bottled water, the peanuts and a couple of bottles of wine. The room was fairly typical of adults only resorts although much smaller than the room at EPM which had a large sunken sitting area with a sectional sofa. As others have reported, the bed was firm but we did not find it uncomfortable, just not what we are used to.
We stayed for 9 nights and went to all of the restaurants and the Dominican buffet one night. The food was generally good, with our favourites being Spice, Chez Isabelle and Oregano. We were disappointed in Barcelona and the Grill, with the steaks being over cooked and cold at the Grill. I sent my steak back and the second time it was hot but still over cooked – I ordered rare and got medium well. In general, we have found that the food is better in Mexican AI resorts although the food here was much better than the other resorts that we have visited in the Dominican Republic.
The lobby bar had an open air tropical feel to it, but my wife prefers the modern enclosed air conditioned lobby bars at the other excellence resorts. We also missed the X-lounge where we could enjoy a drink on the beach at night and lay on the loungers and stare up at the stars. The bars have top shelf liquor including my favourites Crown Royal and Grand Marnier if you ask for it. My wife likes Cosmopolitans and found the drinks inconsistent from bar to bar. She found it better to specify everything in the drink i.e. Stolichnaya, Cointreau and cranberry juice rather than just ordering a cosmo and they were more consistent.
The nightly shows were again typical of AI resorts with the Michael Jackson show being our favourite. We find that these are more of a pleasant time to enjoy a couple of after dinner drinks so go with that expectation and you will have a good time. We really enjoyed the music at the lobby bar at night, weather it was the sax player or the guitar player/singer. We didn’t try the disco although our friends went a couple of nights and enjoyed themselves. We didn’t do any of the day time activities preferring to spend time on the beach or the swim up bar, so I can’t comment on them. The beach had red flags every day, so we didn’t do anything beyond walking in the water although we did enjoy walking along the beach to other resorts. We could go to the beach or the pool at any time of the day and get a palapa and beach chairs.
Overall we had a very good time at this resort although we like the resorts in Mexico more because in our opinion, the food is better and the staff a little warmer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cruiserrob
lancs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Spent 2 weeks at the Exellence in November for our 30th wedding anniversary and this is to say a massive thank you to all the fantastic staff who made our stay so wonderful. Special thanks to Roberto the guest service manager who did everything possible to make our anniversary a special one. If you need to arrange a fishing trip go to see Herbert who will be of great help to you. Herbert arranged a super day fishing for my husband and he is a very genuine and honest person. Great times spent in the Martini Bar with Jose (with many wives) who mixes a mean cocktail.Thanks to all the guys who served us welcome refreshments down on the beach and to chef who cooks a mean barbecue chicken and burger.

The resort is a piece of heaven and if you are in need of a relaxation, good food, comfort and staff who treat you like royalty then this is the place for you. We cannot wait to return and no
that when we do we will be greeted like old friends. Thanks again to you all for giving us such a special time.

Room Tip: All rooms excellent at the excellence
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple