“Just AMAZING!”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #14 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Just arrived back from The Excellence Punta Cana (Nov. 8 - 13, 2012) and it was probably one of the best vacations I have experienced. My boyfriend and I went there for a wedding (which was beautiful) and could not have been happier with our stay. First off, the grounds are immaculate and breathtaking. When we arrived we were greeted with champagne and damp wash cloths to wipe our hands with.

The rooms were spacious, with a jacuzzi that we used almost every day and seperate bathroom with a partially see-through shower (wink, wink). The only thing was I felt the beds were a little uncomfortable and next time I will probably bring an extra blanket and pillow for myself. We were placed by the Cascade Pool (seperate from the main area) which has a waterfall and personal bar with beds and chairs to lay out on. You could spend the whole day in this area sipping on Coco Locos (highly reccommended drink) and catching some rays.

There are about 8 restaurants featuring italian, mexican, japanese, french, lobster etc. food.Our favorite was the Lobster House and Spice (japanese restaurant). Every other one was so, so. Spice we went to twice during our stay because we loved it so much and the servers were the best. The buffet is also enjoyable. There is many choices and stations (homemade omlettes in the morning and chicken/steak they'll cook for you on the spot). We usually ate there for breakfast and lunch.

The pool is huge, especially in the main area. The water is also kept clean and there is a swim-up bar inside. I would reccommend bringing a float and blowing it up when you get there because the ones given by the hotel are usually taken by 8 am. We brought our own raft and enjoyed every minute of it.

SERVICE IS OUT OF THIS WORLD! These people are just so nice and helpful. When we called for champagne to be brought to our room, it came right away. Jonathon and the servers at Spice (even the host) were just so nice and helpful. That's the main reason (besides the food) that we ate there more than once. During the shows that happen every night, there are servers walking around and bringing you drinks. It's just insane how accomadating every one was. It made the trip so enjoyable for us.

Finally, the mosquitos, like every one has said, are really bad. So bring bug spray and put it on (especially at night)

5  Thank ashmalvarado
There are newer reviews for Excellence Punta Cana

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Just returned from our holiday Oct 29 - Nov 9. This was our second visit to Excellence - we went to Playa Mujeres in 2009 and we had high hopes. These were fulfilled. From reading other reviews we didn't expect it to be exactly the same as EPM and this is correct - different country / standards. But nevertheless, it was great. We had visited DR before and this resort was better in terms of location, food and service. We visited all the restaurants and returned twice to the Grill and Izabelle. The bars were all great - we like the Stars bar best. There is something for everyone and you can as involved with the activities or not. The beach was great - yes the waves are always big but fun to play in and watch others play. Sandy on the beach was very attentive and never left us wanting for anything - thank you. We didn't use the pool area much but liked the fact that there were busy/fun areas around the pool bar but there were also plenty of quiet areas and the choice to go to the cascade pool that was also quiet.
The only drawback was the bugs - take plenty of spray, ointments and anti-histamine tablets if you suffer - I did spend a few nights sitting on the edge of the jacuzzi with my feet in cold water to ease the itching. However, I can't point the blame at the resort - it was the end of the rainy season and a big storm had been through just a few days before - just be prepared.
Arrived home very relaxed and looking forward to the next trip - we shall certainly consider Excellence again.

Room Tip: The higher number rooms are quiet at nights - no noise in the night. We had building 11.
6  Thank tinansteve
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary at the Excellence Punta Cana and loved every minute spent at this beautiful resort! We stayed from 11/4/12 through 11/8/12, and the weather was perfect for enjoying the beach, the pool and our dune buggie excursion. The staff throughout the resort was friendly and helpful and always wanted to know if we were having a good time--how refreshing to leave our daily routines behind and just be pampered! This was our first all-inclusive experience, and although the food was not great in all the restaurants we tried, we felt the Excellence Punta Cana offered many good options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We added the Excellence Club option which placed us in a room location (Building 14) that was exactly what we hoped for--(oceanfront/view and quiet)--and perks on the beach--(cushioned lounge chairs/beds and shade umbrellas, as well as beach towels, food, and drinks brought to us by the attentive Excellence staff!) Only advice--do not book an excursion with anyone who approaches YOU on the resort--be sure to go to the representatives located in the lobby for options. We were warned about this, and we listened--we worked with VIP and Adventure Buggies--be sure to buy the picture CD! I hope you enjoy your stay at the Excellence as much as we did!!!

Room Tip: Building 14 facing the pool or the ocean--not the end of the property!
5  Thank TheBirds04
Reviewed November 13, 2012

By far, the best trip I've ever taken to a warm climate! The water kissing the shore is much cleaner than that of Hawaii, and the temperature is like bath water. The service at this resort supersedes that of any I've ever had... they really go out of their way to make you happy. The humidity was a bit of a killer, but the AC in the rooms is great, and there's always the pool and the ocean, just a walk away. Take multivitamins before and during your stay, so the bugs won't attack you... otherwise, invest in some "Off!," or other insect repellent.

Room Tip: If you want the convenience of a swim-up room, which is on the first floor, upgrade; and while you...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sushifreak13
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just returned from 5 days at Excellence (11/08 - 11/12. Beautiful grounds, wonderful staff, good food, nice rooms. First time here and would go again. Never had to leave my beach chair for food or drinks if I did not feel like it. Could order room service 24 hours a day if wanted. It did rain a couple of days but it was that time of the season there. It is quite a distance from Punta Cana Airport ( 1-hour or so) and if you get car sick easily, I would recommend taking something before hand. In and out of the country was easy. You do not need to know Spanish as almost all the staff speak English. Did not personally leave the resort this trip but some of our family did the dune buggy rides and said it was awesome. Would go again but remember it is only for those 18 years or over but is very family friendly.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms have patio with sitting, cascade pool area quieter and very little wind. Depends on...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Kelly T
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just got back to the uk after staying at the Excellence for 11 nights.We have two holidays a year and have stayed at the very best hotels but this was our first time to the D.R. We arrived on the 25th October and just missed the Sandy storm as it headed for new york. The weather for this time of the year is changable but always warm. We had 1 day of full cloud cover and half days here and there but that did not spoil the holiday even though we love the sun. We booked this holiday through British Airways Holidays and had good flights but please note they stop for 1 hour in Antigua. I have never written anything on trip adviser before but felt this time I should. Due to a small problem with our transport we arrived at the hotel around 18.30. From the moment we arrived until we left the Managers and staff could not do any more for us to enjoy our stay. The grounds and gardens are beautiful. The beach is picture postcard and they keep it clean. In fact it is now my screen saver. We had so many good nights, meeting first at one of the bars for pre dinner drinks. The bar staff were great and all the drinks/sprits/ cocktails were made to a good standard using named brands. We had meals at all the resturants and went back to the French and Spice twice. We have been to over 12 differant all inclusive resorts and always had to book the resturants. Not here you just turn up. We will return to the D.R. as long as we can stay in this hotel. Thank You for a great holiday.
If travelling this time of the year remember plenty of mossi repilent.

Room Tip: All rooms are good we stayed in 6207 garden view top floor. print off map of the resort.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank sean r
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I were at the Excellence Punta Cana resort from 10/26 - 11/4. This was our first visit to DR and we were excited to experience a new vacation destination. We were celebrating our recent "empty nest" status at home and made the choice to try an adult only resort. We enjoyed the private transportation and taking in the landscape and a bit of the culture of DR. The vehicle was new, clean and had AC (we have learned over the years that private transportation to our resort is always the best way to start our vacation) . The driver was very professional and cautious with his driving skills. We were welcomed at the resort with warm and genuine smiles from the employees. We were escorted to the Excellence Club area to check in. The check in process was personal and brief and we were then quickly taken to our room. We were happy with our room...no surprises as I had done a lot of research before booking our trip. Our luggage came soon after and we changed for dinner. As we walked through the resort the sun was setting and the lighting only enhanced the beauty of our tropical surroundings. We chose to eat at the Lobster House because it was close to the beach and was opened to the outdoors. I have to be honest and say that we were not happy with our meal...we chose lobster...I had read the reviews and knew that the lobster was not what we were used to in the states but we thought we would give it a try...our service and drinks were great but I admit that I was a bit worried about what we may encounter for a future meals. I will not keep you in suspense...we LOVED the food for the rest of the trip!!! We are seasoned travelers...and we have experienced all levels of quality of food...the food at Excellence was fantastic! Coupled with the genuine service that we received at each meal, eating was one of our favorite things about this vacation!
Our first day we woke up early to get a prime location at the beach (something that we have always done on our beach vacations). We were greeted by Raphael at the private Excellence Club beach and he escorted us to a great place and laid out our big fluffy towels on the wooden lounge chairs. The beach and ocean were BEAUTIFUL! We realized that during our stay there were always plenty of room for everybody on the beach. We were drawn to the private beach beds. My husband loved these...I chose to spend my time between laying out in the sun and then enjoy the shade of the covered beach bed. The service on the beach was outstanding every day! We loved seeing Edgar and Raphael's smiling faces every day. We spent most our days on the beach even though the pools were beautiful. It always looked like the pool dwellers were having a lot of fun. The ocean was more rough than what we are used to but we enjoyed having a different ocean experience. We were able to play in the waves and had fun with the boogie boards.
Going back to the food...our favorite places were Spice and Chez Isabelle. We would order 3 or 4 of the entrees and thoroughly enjoyed sampling the different offerings. For lunch we mostly ate at the buffet...I gravitated to the fresh fish that I had grilled...the Grouper was awesome!
The nightly entertainment was great. The beach dinner/party was a lot of fun. We were always impressed with the amount of work that the staff invested with each of the events such as the beach party and the Halloween fun hunted house. Every night we experienced exceptional service, food, quality cocktails and the overall beauty of our surroundings.

I booked the couples massage on-line about 2 weeks prior to our arrival for 12:00 noon for our first full day that we were there. We absolutely loved it! The water ritual was awesome too. We would highly recommend starting your vacation with a massage!
I used the gym a couple of times and was impressed with the equipment and condition of the facility.
We did participate in the free 30 minute beach horseback riding. It was a new experience for us and it was fun to have pictures as a keepsake.
I also made reservations a couple of weeks prior to our arrival for a deep sea fishing charter. I chose Mike's Marina. They were FANTASTIC!!!! Harry one of the owners and our boat crew made our experience very special and memorable. My husband was successful in catching a 35 lb. Wahoo...seeing the happiness on his face was priceless! I would highly recommend Mike's Marina!
We did upgrade to the Excellence Club and we enjoyed the perks. We were happy to escape to the "club" to watch Sunday night football sitting on the comfy leather couches and having a couple of cocktails.
We went to the casino several times...won a few and lost a few. One night a lady won $4,000 at the slot machine next to me! Not sure how much she invested for that big of a return but it was fun to see her win big!
Our 10 day vacation was wonderful! We loved every minute of our trip to DR and our stay at Excellence! I would have no problem recommending it to others.

6  Thank Lisa M