“THE REAL DEAL ABOUT EXCELLENCE PUNTA CANA!!!!!!!!!”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #19 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York City, New York
“THE REAL DEAL ABOUT EXCELLENCE PUNTA CANA!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just got back today spend 5 days, so i will give just what u need to know!!!!!
Upon Arrival at PUJ you have to pay a 20.00 fee to enter the country, dont waste ur time letting them talking you into seeing free resort its a timeshare.

Upon arrival at the hotel if you mention u r on ur honeymoon 90% of chance u will get a upgrade honeymoon suite for free
Resturant must visit: the Mexican, Asian, the Grill, Lobster house (if its windy)
This is more of a place for relaxation and drinking, the club is totally dead at night, after the entertainment show which ended about 10:30PM most ppl go go to bed, if you like to drink you can stay at the bar till 12PM then it closed, you have to go to the club to get a drink and that close at 2PM. All the activities during the day is really bad the staff dont encourage the ppl to take part it like whatever!!!!!! Billards, table tennis basketball, and most outdoor sports is like a 4 minutes walk from ur room to it and it in a remote location where no one hangout. PLEASE take off for mosquito, it rain 2 days and the place go really humid the sand flies and mosquito will eat you alive...... OVERALL it was quite interesting as i been going to all insclusive resort for over 10 yrs. NO Alchol after 2PM you can take urs from the mini bar in ur room no prob, also there are no snacks after midnight u have to order from ur room... With that being said i will not return to this resort... If i am paying it should open 24/7 like the rest of the resort.... PPL after midnight of drinking and partying ppl get hungry who wants to wait 45mins for room service.... The Bar to be is by the right by beach grill resturant ..... Hector should be ur bartender at night he is one hell of a guy, tell him to make you a Bob Marley and watch him laf, tell him the guy from NYC told you... That is the Real Deal, Not much to do unless u are doing excursion basically get sun, swim and drink all day....... Dont le me change ur mind go visit for ur self. I had a wondeful time except for the negatives.....

Room Tip: Tell them you are on ur honneymoon and maybe you will get a free upgrade
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,589)
  • Korean first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I will start with confirming this was our fourth trip to the DR but our very first to an Excellence Resort and we intend that it will not be our last. Pretty much from the moment we arrived with our great friends, greeted by cold towels and champagne, to our checkout two weeks later we were treated like royalty.

We had booked a regular garden view room and initially were allocated rooms in Block 12 which had two double beds and were quite a walk from reception. We requested a move to a King size bedroom and this was accommodated the following day to Block 7 which was significantly more convenient for everything. These rooms were on the third floor and as previously reviewed these rooms have a much more open feel to them.

The rooms are spacious and kept extremely clean - we always found our maid cleaned by lunchtime and the turndown service every evening was wonderful ensuring you return to a beautiful room with petals and on one evening a bubble bath waiting! The turndown also leaves information about spa specials, the weather forecast and resort info regarding open and closed restaurants and events for the following day. All extremely useful.

We found mosquitoes were not a problem for us - I suffered with three bites total (compare that to thirty three plus in Mexico!) so I was very pleased but I wore bug spray and the resort does fog every evening.

The gym is really great with lots of machines and weights. It certainly helped in keeping the weight gain down.. The spa was also wonderful and we took advantage of two specials during our stay which kept the cost down considerably! The grounds are beautifully kept with the wildlife and parrots but watch out for the red one as he will take what he can off you using his beak with some force... My husband lost the button from his baseball cap - you have been warned!!

Food was very good on the whole with breakfast being our favourite meal of the day, so much choice, and lunch and dinner having so many options. I struggle to understand people who complain about the food although on occasion we did have the odd very poor meal. Barcelona was our least favourite with my lamb cutlets being burnt and inedible and our favourites being Chez Isabel, The Grill and Spice which were all excellente!! The choice of drinks is fantastic - everything is available and there is never the feeling that you cannot have what you want at anytime. I found the diet coke on draft to be flat so they always obtained bottles of diet coke from other bars for me to have at the beach - they really are happy to oblige. As they say if you cannot see what you want just ask and anything is possible :)

The beach really has the most tropical feel to it and with the abundance of beach beds and traditional sun beds with shade it is impossible not to be drawn to it away from the pool where we have always spent previous holidays... It did not matter what time of day you came down, morning or afternoon, you could always find a sunny or shady spot either at the pool or beach. The sea has been discussed at length and has some very strong waves with lots of people losing their sunglasses in them. It reminded me of a strong wave machine and was great fun to watch both when people were enjoying the waves and without.

I should also stay that during our last week we were kindly upgraded to club level - this did not involve a room change or upgrade of drinks or toiletries in room but allowed us to use the club lounge and club section on the beach. We enjoyed the club lounge but found the beach section rather sterile and lacking in atmosphere and therefore chose to remain on the regular beach section where we actually found the beach waiter service far better! We felt that, for us, the club was not worth the extra cost it we appreciated the opportunity to try it out.

Fabulous as this place is for every other reason the outstanding element is the staff and service they provide. We did meet staff who were just OK but by and large they really are fantastic and they are what set this hotel apart from the competition. The one area we found less good were the reception staff - other than that special mention must go to Roberto who deserves all the praise he receives along with Yanilka who is truly a special girl. There were many others - Brenda, Rosemary, Omar, Gabriel, Alex, Jose, Felix, Alexandra to name just a few.

A massive thank you to all at Excellence who made our stay so memorable - we hope to come back soon!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank HillsonHols
York
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Just got back from an amazing week at excellence. This place is fantastic, it is a beautiful property and the staff are the most pleasant and courteous people we have ever met. I'd suggest private transportation from the airport to the resort, because Excellence is one of the last resorts in Punta Cana and you have to drop off all of the other people staying at different resorts first. Once we arrived the drive was totally worth it. We were greeted with champagne and a cold towel and immediately taken to our beautiful suite. The room was spacious and comfortable, and most importantly, cool. The air conditioning worked much better than I expected and there was also a ceiling fan. The beaches are beautiful and there was no shortage of beach chairs or palm huts. There is also drink service on the beach which was an added bonus. The pool is the most well kept, clean and gorgeous pool I have ever seen. It winds throug the entire resort so you never feel cramped with to many people. We always had a raft and there were more than enough chairs. They also have drink service at the pool, including a swim up bar that was very convenient. My favorite staff member was the guy that walked around the pool with personal pizzas every day around lunch time and there were also chefs who brought around appetizers to the pool as well. The bars were nice, our favorite was Kafe Cafe, the outside bar. The food was also very good, Spice and Agave were our favoites. I highly recommend this resort, it was absolutely the place for relaxation we were looking for. Thank you Excellence!!
Also 24 hr room service and no kids!!!

5 Thank Jess S
england
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My sister, neice , myself and our other halfs have just returned (28/09/12) from a 2 week vacation at the excellence punta cana,this was our second time at excellence and we were not disapointed,yet again we are already looking to book to return next year.

From the moment we arrived until it was time to leave we were treated like royalty.

I had put some requests to the hotel and every single request was met above and beyond my expectations.Our rooms were beautiful and in a great location with garden veiws, we were in block 6 which is great because it is close to everything and my husband has trouble walking.
I cant speak highly enough of the staff,each staff member from gardeners to cocierge,wait staff and maids(male or female) each and everyone couldnt do enough to make sure we had everything we needed to make our stay even better.
We ate in all the resteraunts and although some were better than others we enyoyed them all,we made sure we went early to breakfast as to have the piano playing while eating was just fantastic.I had read some reviews that said the piano shouldnt be played at breakfast, well my suggestion to that is go " vacation somewhere else ".
The pool area and beach servers Anna and towel girl Natalie were very hard working and we wanted for nothing.
My only negative about the pool area were some drunken americans who were acting like larger louts.
This is not the resort for drunken ignorant people with no class "go to a party hotel".

The entertainment team were fab Tito,Houllio,Super Willy and Wan all dererve a mention they worked hard and were good fun,we enjoyed the entertainment in the theartre every night and it didnt bother us that it was repeated on the second week.

This truly is an excellent resort and we cant wait to return.

By the way we didnt upgrade to the excellent club as we were extremley happy and didnt think we were missing anything.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mount Juliet, Tennessee
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We arrived the last day of September for an 11 day stay. We were a party of two couples, and one single with two more singles joining us later in the week.

The ride:

Not bad. We booked with Vacation Express. US Air lost my wife's carry on after they asked her to check it, so we were late leaving the airport, (the bag showed up three days later by way of Turks and Caicos, all contents intact). We had no other stops on the way to the resort so we made it in about an hour. No need for barf bags.

The room:

Nice room. Full bar. After reading other reviews we did not upgrade from the standard room. We stayed in building 6, top floor. If I had to do it all over again I would not get a top floor, as the vaulted ceilings are nice, but the room tends to be hotter than the other floors. The beds are very firm, but they brought us a pillow top and we were fine after that. Balconies are a little on the small side. This resort is geared towards couples as there is a window in the shower which you can see all the way to the commode so not much privacy when your taking care of business.

The food:

No complaints. Food was average to excellent. We ate at all the restaurants except the Mediterranean. The Grille and Spice were our groups favorites. The calzone at The Oregano was quite good. The Mexican and French restaurants were just okay, but service was poor at both. The Lobster House was very good just don't expect Maine lobster. I think the steam was better that the grilled just because the grilled tended to be a bit chewy.

The drinks:

No complaints with service or strength of the drinks. My new favorite drink is the espresso martini, very good after dinner drink.

The beach:

Very wide and plenty of open loungers. We spent most of our time at the pool as the surf was to rough to really enjoy the ocean. My wife lost a pair of sunglasses, so be careful. One in our party did quite a bit of body surfing. The boogie boards were hardly ever available due to rough conditions, so you may want to bring your own.

The pool:

Excellent. Played pool volleyball nearly everyday. Lounged on the beds next to the pool. One thing that was quite annoying was the inconsistent music at the pool. They had a podium with a built in sound system that sound quality was awful. The staff would continually blast it then turn it down, then turn it up, turn it off, then blast it again to the point of distortion. Fortunately I brought my own tunes and played between times. I purposely kept to a level as not to intrude on others, but found people checking out the tunes, including staff.

The grounds:

Very beautiful and clean.

The Staff:

Pleasant and welcoming. On the days when vendors were allowed in we heard several complaints about them being aggressive. We just avoided them.

The Entertainment:

Very good. Most has already been said so I won't repeat.

We probably won't go back, but only due to our travelling party always has singles and this is a couples resort, (unless we can get them married off). Also the roughness of the ocean is kind of a deal breaker. Other than that its a great resort.

Room Tip: Building 6 is close to everything. Third floors tend to be hooter than the others. Ask for a pillow...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank blues2uz
Marlborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Second visit to excellence must say it lived up to its name me and my husband spent 2 weeks at the hotel they have done some of the rooms up we were in a refurbished room 11010 can not fault it they really went out of there way to look after us phoned room to ask if there was anything the hotel could do my husband had his birthday while we were there they sent champers to room filled bath and later they bought red wine and cheese to room and we ate at the spice that night table was waiting and had rose petals over it would visit again last night they rang to ask what time they could pick our cases up in the morning and if they could do anything in the future to improve stay and again asked where we were eating and the table again had rose petals service was outstanding all staff helpful Natalie was fab all waiters and dive man was really good thanks excellence we will be back

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Maxine M
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had an amazing stay! The customer service at this property is outstanding, as is the beauty of the facility and the location. Although on the Atlantic side, the beach is clean and well appointed with plenty of chairs, umbrellas, tables and service. The pool extends the length of the property. We had an Anniversary suite on the first floor, with walkout availability to both the pool and beach. It was like having our own private little lagoon at the far end of the pool. Very romantic! Our room was large and well appointed. As an Excellence Club Member, we had access to top shelf libations and services on request.

The only disappointments were the lack of comfort of the bed and pillows, as well as the food. The restaurants are all aesthetically pleasing with the standard, "excellence in customer service" business model; however, the culinary expertise is sadly lacking.

Our experience with the excursions too was excellent. We went snorkeling, diving and boating. Overall, if you want a romantic, beautiful location with options for fun activities and food is not your focus...This is the place to be!

Room Tip: Ask for first floor room # 14005 near the walk-in end of the pool.
2 Thank AllyN574