“Best Time of My Life” 5 of 5 bubbles

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #17 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Best Time of My Life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2003

I recently returned from a 5 day/ 4 night stay at Secrets Excellence and can honestly say I've never had so much fun in my life. My wife and I went with 5 other married couples who I'm sure would agree with me wholeheartedly.

Let's start with my favorite part, the food. I had heard from other friends who had been to Punta Cana that you needed to be a little wary of the food. My first meal, Wed. evening, was in the Texas Steakhouse (not it's name) and I can honestly say it was fantastic. The barbecued wings and steak were just right. We were pampered by multiple servers throughout that dinner, and never had to wait long for anything.
Breakfast every morning was served in the Belle Italia restauarant, and I can honestly say I've never had a better ham and cheese omlette than the ones I had there. Bacon and ham was ok, potatoes varied by day, and there were always ample substitutes such as cereals, breads, and danishes. The coffee was a little strong, but nothing a little extra "leche" wouldn't fix. The Mediterranean and Mexican Restuarants were also great tasting establishments and other than having a hard time accomodating our groups size, were fantastic.

Next critique, the service. I've read other guests complaints about bugs, robes, staff, etc.. Robes were not in the room, but one phone call quickly rectified that issue. Bugs were exclusively on the outside of our room. One couple in our group did have some ants in their room, but this too was quickly fixed. Staff was extremely helpful in all facets of our visit. From restocking our mini-bar per our request, to extra towels, to even helping deliver 12 cheeseburgers from my room to the cascade pool. These guys worked EXTRA HARD to accomodate our every request. Our entire group had photos taken with one of their best workers, Felix. Even when we became a little rowdy in one of the pools, the staff steered it's way through the proper channels to assure us that we were well within our rights to enjoy ourselves the best we could.

Let me close by saying that a diverse group of 6 married couples all left with tears in there eyes as we boarded our bus for the bumpy trip back to the airport. Even though the weather didn't always cooperate (rained the first two days), the service, food, and entertainment made up for everything else. I will gladly return to see Oscar, Felix, Miranda, Saury, and the rest of the gang as soon as my wife and I can afford it. Gracias Secrets Excellence!!!!! :)

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,494)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2003

My wife and I had our honeymoon at Secrets from 10/6-10/14 and we LOVED it! The facility is gorgeous and well maintained, the staff is friendly and helpful, etc.

The food was fine and the service was average to above average. The guest services folks were fluent in many languages, but the rest of the staff had a limited knowledge of English.

Make sure you have your pictures taken by the staff photographer, they are professional and well worth the cost. The room was great, the pools and beach were beautiful. Be aware fellow Americans you may see some topless women, some who should be topless, and some who shouldn't.

The ride from the airport is rough and long, but we were made aware of it before we booked the trip. I find it amusing that people from New York, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, etc. have said they were scared on the trip from the airport. Those cites are much less safe than St. Louis and neither my wife nor myself ever felt in any danger on the trip, and our ride from the airport was at night.

There are shows every night at the resort and there is a casino there as well. My only complaint would be that there was no BUDWEISER products. I'm from St. Louis, So I can't drink that Miller or Heineken swill! The local brew Presidente is fine though.

People who complain about this place just can't be happy. Book this facility with confidence before the word gets out.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2003

We booked our trip through our usual travel agent and set to meet with our friends from N.J. The plane ride was fine, Apple - USA 3000, about 3 1/2 hours, the air port in Puna Cana was carribean typical, but the ride to Secrets was terrifying. The road were dirt and full of pot holes, craters. The trip by bus took over an hour. The resort is on the Atlantic, not the Carribean and therefore, snorkling is out of the question. The beach is beautiful, but the undertow is very dangerous.
The pools were great, but the mosiquotos were terrible. They had to spray nightly, mostly around dinner time. OUr two last days, it rained and they got worse. Taking any of the daily trips meant bussing for about an hour or more each way on those terrible roads.

Although, we made the best of it, and some of the restraunts, like the french one, had good food, we will not be returning to this resort.

We did make some very nice friendships here and hope to travel to other locations with them.

good luck.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Morton, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2003

My wife and I were married on 10/13 at Secrets and spent 10/10 - 10/17 there. I had never been at an "all-inclusive" before so I had nothing to compare it to. My wife had been to a couple of others in the Carribean and stated over and over that Secrets was, by far, the best ever.

You will not be disappointed in Secrets unless you are one of those that cannot be pleased, as some of the reviewer appear to be. Leave your uptightness at home and relax at this place. I can't say enough good things about it.

We are already talking about celebrating an anniversary there very soon hopefully.

5 Thank Rick S
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2003

DO NOT STAY AT SECRETS. Not only is the food poison, the staff is COMPLETELY without a clue. The service is incorrigable, the staff doesn't speak English and the entire resort is infested with roaches and ants. If you desire to visit hell, please by all means come to the third circle of it in Punta Cana. If you want to enjoy your honeymoon or vacation, I suggest going to an insurance convention over this place. My wife and I were on our honeymoon and Secrets made it one of the worst memories of our lives. They DO NOT provide what they PROMISE.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2003

Returned on Oct 20th Our small group of 2 couples experienced the same problems. Though after reading other reviews I noticed that those folks were in "Club" level accommodations. Hotel was beautiful, food was very good. The hotel utilized it's foggers to control the mosquitoes as best as possible, though everyone had to deal with them. The biggest problem we incurred was the service staff in about half of the locations on the property. Our rooms were not cleaned very well, maid service was surprisingly bad for an upscale resort. Jacuzzi tubs were not cleaned, bathroom mirrors were so streaked and fogged you couldn't hardly see your face to shave. The day of arrival there were rose pedals strewn thoughout the room for ambiance, and remnants of which layed on floors, in tubs on dressers all week long. Most days the room bar stocker would stop, but not everyday. We asked twice for robes (which the hotel advertises are in the rooms), never materialized, even after we approached management. The thermostat for the airconditioning was not functioning properly, it was like a meat locker in our room 24-7, that was never addressed.
50% of the staff was friendly and accommodating, the other 50% of the staff looked miserable at their jobs and it reflected in the quality of service. The problems at "this" resort were without a doubt due to poor management. You might expect the hired help to ignore some of the problems, but when you can't get a member of management to return a call or remedy an ongoing problem, this resort will be far down on our list of properties to patronize again. These comments come from folks who travel the Caribbean frequently.

1 Thank midex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2003

We stayed at Secrets excellence in Punta Cana from October 13-19 for our honeymoon and we loved it! The night before I was totally stressed out and nervous thinking I had made a mistake after reading some of the negative reviews, we went having no expectations and we were amazed at how beautiful the place was. We were totally suprised when we pulled up to a beautifully decorated, marble entry area, nice furniture and WONDERFUL people. We got in line with the rest of the people that came in with us (two bus loads-the bus was air-conditioned). We were immediately served mimosa's.....the trip only got better. We had been on the waiting list for the club excellence and after checking in at the airport upon arrival (they give you your packet at the airport when you arrive- I saw my reservation said we had the "club excellence" room)so I stepped over to the "club excellence" counter and we were shown our room and the club personally. We did not have to wait in line. We were in building 10 and having the club package gave us access to a very nice bar area and internet usage close to our room. The room was nice, with a balcony overlooking the pool and the ocean. The view was incredible. Food-I was suprised at how good it was. Breakfast and lunch are huge buffet's, if you can't find something you like then you are way too picky. The restaurants for dinner were great also. We did not eat at any that were outside because we heard the bugs were bad but we talked to other people who had eaten at the steak house and seafood restaurant and they said the food was great. We ate at the Quesquaya restaurant (upscale continental-guys must wear pants to get in) twice because we liked it so much. The grouper was to die for. The mexican restaurant was wonderful also. Service in both was exceptional. The beach was beautiful. We had no trouble getting chairs-whether we wanted them in the shade or not. We didn't really have trouble with floats either- many people offered theirs when they saw us without one. We met a lot of people on their honeymoon and everyone was so nice! Everyone said the same thing-they were so suprised at how wonderful everything was. We tipped our maid 1-2 dollars every day and had our room cleaned first thing in the morning. This place is wonderful-take bug spray and remember-you are on vacation-don't sweat the small stuff. YOu will love it! One more thing-we drank the water in the restaurants (but not from the tap in our room) and we never got sick. Also, they leave bottled water in your room for you every day (use this to brush your teeth).On our way back at the airport we talked to two couples that had stayed at two different resorts, one couple was sick the hole time and the other said the accommodations at Secrets were better than the place they had stayed previously. If you are worrying about whether you made the right decision in choosing secrets excellence-DON'T. You will love it!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member