“Destination Wedding”

Ranked #15 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
“Destination Wedding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

I choose Excellence Punta Cana for my Destination Wedding in the summer of 2010 and could not have been happier. I've been on a few all inclusive vacations and this was by far the best one I have ever done. Here are my positives and a few small negatives:

POSTIVES
The staff was amazing and I don't think I ever heard the word "no" no matter what I asked for or requested. The scenery was beautiful with winding pools and a beautiful beach. A junior suite is the lowest category room they have and it was gorgeous - no need to upgrade. One of my favorite things about this resort is you did not have to make reservations at the restaurant. With over 30 family and friends, it would have been difficult and annoying to organize that every morning, and was very nice to just be able to get up and go to dinner whenever and with however many people you wanted. I opted for the "complimentary wedding package." It was so easy to work with the wedding coordinator. When I arrived she showed me a book of options to choose my bouquet, wedding location, cake, etc. It was so simple, stress-free and everything was gorgeous.

NEGATIVES
One small complaint would be that the ocean was pretty choppy and difficult to swim in, but the beach and pools more than made up for it. Also, this is one of the farthest resorts from the airport so took a very long time to get there (and for some reason 2x as long on the way back to the airport) because you stop at so many other resorts on the way. However if you are really worried about this you can always pay to take a taxi. I also heard that you can take a helicopter ride which would really make the trip shorter and more beautiful (but pricey!)

Overall I highly recommend this resort for a Destination wedding or just a vacation. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank miller6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,529)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

My fiance and I needed a week to decompress and take a break from the rigors of day to day life. Excellence, it's staff and the sun/ocean fit the bill perfectly. Whether you want to plop yourself on the beach/pool and do nothing but read or feel like engaging in activities you will find it here.

Our room was very spacious filled with many ameneties. Snacks/beverages are included in the price. The stand up shower has the head directly above you, very cool!

The facilties were expansive. Even when resort was full you didn't feel like you were "on top" of each other. There's a REAL gym that's largest I've ever seen in a hotel/resort. It contains all sorts of modern equipment, machines & free weights. Housed in the same building is a room for yoga, pilates and other fitness classes. We took in Vinyasa Yoga with a fantastic Spanish (Mallorca) instructor, Inma.

Restaurants are varied and prepare food freshly. With the selection available there's something for everyone. Included in the choices is the typical "buffet" style. We found the food to be good to excellent.

Pool/beach space is expansive. In fact the main pool runs approx. 1/2 the length of the main resort area. There's always a variety of activities in/around the pool/beach should you want to partake.
All in all our experience was top notch. You can do as little as you want or as much as you want, the choice is yours. It suited our needs perfectly.

8 Thank NukeMario
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

My wife and I recently spent our honeymoon at Excellence, Punta Cana and loved it! I did some research on all resorts in Punta Cana and did not decide until some family friends informed us they were travelling there for a wedding.

When they arrived back, we were told of the beautiful grounds, wonderful food, and superb service at the resort and were very excited when we boarded our flight to Punta Cana.

Everything about PC and Excellence was so easy! The airport was clean, touristy, and customs was a breeze. The on-slaught of folks trying to make a buck by taking your luggage was kind of annoying, but once we found our driver (BOOK THROUGH THE RESORT), the rest was easy (the hour long ride to the resort is a little nerve-wracking if you're a first time visitor). We were greeted with beers for the ride, and once we arrived to the resort, champagne!

Check-in is easy and the service is immediate (cool towels to wipe your face). The rooms were spotless and beautiful! We had a swim-up suite (complete with private chairs and pool access), with a stocked fridge, jacuzzi, and nice amenities.

The food was incredible, and the service at all 8 restaurants was very good (consistent, too). The activities provided (inclusive) were plenty for us first-time visitors, as our days consisted of lounging, eating, drinking, exercising, and more eating. We participated in many activities, and had a blast interacting with the staff and other restort-goers.

The quality and quantity of service and amenities you receive for the price is incredible, and we will be returning. Thank you Excellence!

9 Thank MSState_inNC
ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

our experience at excellence was almost excellent. it takes one hour to get to the hotel from the airport, but thats if they are not dropping off other passengers at other hotels. the service by the staff was really friendly, helpful and energetic, dont have any complaints about the staff. or hotel. room was beautiful. the only dislike was the vendors always trying to sell you excursions, and the other ones trying to sell you jewelry in the hotel, they would not take no for an answer, very persistent everyday is the same story.

3 Thank narema21
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

Before we left, the resort's Public Relations manager asked if we had any feedback (I said no) and then asked us to write a review on TripAdvisor. I was going to do this anyway, but you should know the resort works hard to get reviews here.

Overall we had a wonderful time. PROS: beautiful beach, gorgeous covered beachside and poolside cabanas (what is a Caribbean vacation without these?), warm pool, martini bar in the lobby, and the fresh tropical fruit in the breakfast bar. CONS: some glitches that come naturally with visiting a non-first-world country, tropical island: frequent brief power outages in the hotel rooms (lasting just seconds), food is cafeteria quality not restaurant quality, hotel rooms smell a little musty (can't be helped because of the humidity).

We upgraded to Excellence Club (additional $80/night) for the private beach area and private pool. That was nice, but not necessary -- the private beach area is MUCH nicer and the pool is quieter, but to be honest they don't really check who's going where. The Excellence Club lounge was nice and cool and we sat there reading a couple times. Other than that, the hotel rooms are almost exactly the same. There was no wait -- we got into our new room immediately and our suitcases were carried over from the old room.

Hotel rooms all smell slightly musty when you first arrive but this is very tolerable. The summers are so humid that everything gets moist and mildewy. They do a good job of minimizing this by not having too much soft stuff in the room -- there are no carpets, the floors are tiled -- but there is no avoiding the fact that in such a tropical environment, the couch will get a little musty-smelling. Didn't bother me too much. The four-poster beds and the in-room jacuzzi are a nice touch. The rooms look about ten years old -- not brand-new, but not overly old for a hotel.

If you are in the hotel room, it's hard to get privacy during the day. Someone knocks every hour. This is because "housekeeping" does only the bed and towels, but someone different restocks the mini-bar, someone different again brings the daily newspaper, someone different again brings the daily fruit plate to the Excellence Club rooms, someone else does the evening turn-down service, etc. If they could do it all in one or two trips (instead of five or six) it would be much better -- but again, this didn't bother us too much and didn't take away from our enjoyment of the vacation.

The resort's major weakness is the food. It's cooked in cafeteria-quantity (and quality) by unskilled workers, not celebrity chefs. I suggest choosing basic dishes and not trying anything that sounds too gourmet or complicated -- they do basic things best. We had very good dinners at the French restaurant in a romantic environment that was the closest to a nice restaurant the resort has. Some of the other restaurants -- the Grill, the Mexican, and the pizza place -- are stilted environments where somehow the timing of the service doesn't feel right, and the food quality is also not great. Positives: the breakfast fruit bar in the buffet is DELICIOUS, I've not had better fresh papaya, mango or passionfruit!

7 Thank drjennyboston
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

Despite the so-called rainy season, the week I had spent at the Excellence Punta Cana was hot and sunny. The ocean waves were great. The restuarants' food was far better than other resorts. The shows were above average to phenomenal...especially the belly dancers. As a solo visitor, I met alot of people from different parts of North America and some from overseas. None of them seemed to be disappointed in the resort. Some people at the pool bar found ways to make the stay more fun.

Although, there were some people that may not have had a good time; I had a great time!

Would come back again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank CBislander
Monroe, LA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

My husband and I read all of the reviews on this site for five months previous to our trip. We dismissed many of the bad reviews saying oh these people just want something to complain about, but we also listened to many of the reviews and armed ourselves with a few bottles of bug spray before leaving for our trip. Surprisingly, the mosquitoes did not bother us at all! With that being said, I really wish we would have taken those bad reviews more seriously. In June of 2009 we visited the Excellence resort Playa Mujeres in Cancun, Mexico. This vacation was wonderful and we had absolutely no complaints. My husband began researching more Excellence resorts because we were so in love with our previous trip and we decided to travel to Punta Cana. The first thing I will say about Punta Cana is that it is HOT. The airport and none of the restaurants at the resort had AC so if we wanted to cool off we had to return to the room. I believe we perspired more on this trip than ever before in my life. I honestly could not wait to return to the airport in the United States just to feel cool air. This may be the number 1 reason I will never return to the dDominican Republic because we went home very nasty. Also, while the resort is very secluded and nice, the ride to and from the airport is ridiculous! This took at least an hour and a half down very bumpy roads. Not a good way to end a long day of traveling or start a day of traveling. The beds were awful and and rooms needed a major update. I was very excited to return to my own pillow top mattress. I know it seems I am being extremely negative but those are my true feelings. However, there were many positive things about this trip also, but not enough to make me want to go back! The beach was the absolute most beautiful beach I have ever seen and maybe will ever see. As always the excellent service of the staff was amazing and one of the main reasons we fell in love with Excellence resorts. The grounds also had a beach grill that was great for our lunch each day. The shopping off to the side of the beach was great because we never had to leave the grounds...even though they will hassle you to death. The activities throughout the day were great and the shows at night were fun to watch. Now, I must mention what has been by far the worst part about my vacation...being sick! I was very careful not to drink any of the water on our trip or fountain drinks because I read previous reviews. However, I did not take into consideration brushing my teeth with the water and the doctor said that possibly could have caused my sickness. I began feeling sick the night before our trip ended and barely made the trip home on the next day. I have been pretty much bed ridden and not able to hold any food in my for three days. I will be more careful on any trips for my future and I would advise you do the same. I really hope this review is helpful and I wish I would have listened to more of the reviews. We still love Excellence resorts and hope to return to Playa Mujeres in the future, but as I stated before, Punta Cana is not the place for us!

Room Tip: Get a swim up room!