“I want to go back”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
“I want to go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2003

We just came back from Secrets 06/27/03 and this was by far one of the best vacations we have had.Everyone at the resort were so friendly I know people in other reviews have mentioned the language problems but most of the staff speak some english and don't forget you are in a spanish speaking country and have fun learning some spanish they even have spanish lessons by the pool.There is a lot to do you can plan to be busy all day or just do nothing, lay by the pool and drink Coco Loco's, the drinks were top shelf they even have MGD.We went on the aquatic tour which was alot of fun we went snorkling half way.We heard the outback safari was fun but never got around to going other people at the resort said it was great.There is not alot of shopping at the resort so if you like to shop this is not for you the stuff they have is even expensive by US standards.Cigs and booze are available at the duty free in the airport cheap. The ride to the resort was long as the roads are not the best but when you see how private your beach is its worth the ride.I could go on but just to finish up my wife and I had a wonderful time and we will be back Robert & Renee Cleveland,Ohio

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,529)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2003

My husband and I just returned last night from spending a week in paradise. 6/18-6/25 The reviews I read before we went didn't to the resort justice. There were NO bugs, NO rain , NO language problems, NO raft problems. The food was wonderful all you can eat. Breakfast is served from 7am to 11am and the choices are wonderful. Lunch is served from noon to 4 pm and is served in 3 of the restaurants and is also wonderful. Our personal favorite was the seafood restaurant where you can wear your swim suit of you want. The grilled shrimp is the best we have ever had. There are no crab legs so don't expect any the waster is to warm in the Caribbean. Dinner is served from 7pm to 10 pm and our advise is eat a late lunch because time goes by really really slow which is great but if you eat at noon it's a long time until 7pm. There are places to get snacks and they are wonderful too. We also advise you to ask for your preferred liquor ie.. Absolute vodka and so forth otherwise they use the house brand and as in all bars its not the best. The resort is beautiful, the rooms are beautiful the beds are FIRM so be warned. The mini bar is stocked twice a day and beds are turned down at night. Our best advise is try not to be in you room when the cleaning service comes and after one day you'll be able to figure out what time they arrive. They seem to get a little flustered when your in the room. We tipped . Everyone recommends you don't need to tip but…. We usually only left 1 or 2 dollars and it really didn't make a difference service wise but made is feel better once you see how the Dominicans live on your trip from the airport to the resort. The staff really makes you feel special and important. They are there to wait on all your needs and are always friendly and with a smile even after working 12 hours on end. My recommendation is go and have a wonderful tranquil vacation in paradise and leave all your worries at home because while there you won't have a worry in the world. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2003

Just returned from a week of heaven (6/13-6/20). As others indicated was concerned at some of the reveiws, but was wasted energy. The ride there is simply an hour of your time, but worth the bumps and swerves. The resort is beautiful, rooms/public areas immaculate, staff hard working and incredibly gracious, language manageable, food plentiful and delicious, pool to die for, ocean/breeze out of a movie set, and the activities nonstop if you want to participate. Didn't get one mosquito bite, rafts were not plentiful, but available, the casino was kind to us, the list of positives is long. It was truly a wonderful experience and would go back in a minute.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2003

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary and my birthday from June 16-20, and we were so sorry to leave! The flight was smooth, the Apple reps took care of us on the bus trip, (which makes you appreciate the wealth of our country) and check-in was a breeze. My husband upgraded our trip to "Excellence Club" and we were immediately escorted out of the crowd of 30 or so arrivals and given a private orientation, drinks, food, air conditioned room overlooking the pool. We checked in 3 hours before the advertised time and also got a later check-out time. The room was beautiful - we walked from our room to the pool in just a few steps. The pool is large and beautiful, and never crowded. The huts on the beach and around the pool keep you cool and comfortable, the long stretches of beach gave us time to walk and talk together, and the weather was perfect. We enjoyed all the food - a little Dominican flair makes it all better, and highly recommend the Continental and Mexican restaurants. The only one we skipped was the Italian - we can get that at home. Most of all, the people were wonderful! The staff, at all levels, was courteous, friendly, and entirely accommodating. We talked to a few, and (only when asked) told us they work 12-hour days, and are happy to be there! Try to find Americans who are willing to work so hard to serve! We gave small tips for housekeeping, bartenders, wait staff, and others because we wanted to. They never expected it but were very gracious when it was given. The language was not a problem; we picked up a few words of Spanish, and whenever we tried to use them, the Dominicans were pleased and happy to try out more of their English.
The activities staff was fun, the entertainment was light and enjoyable. We have no complaints - those who complain are missing the natural beauty around them. We had no problems with bugs (we usually ate outdoors during the day, indoors at night), never needed the medicine kit we brought, and could not have enjoyed ourselves more. We didn't do excursions because the pools, beaches and resort kept us happy, but schedule your photo shoot early! An adorable French young man (Mike) took our pictures all over the resort, and we have never had such beautiful pictures! It's an additional fee that was well worth it!
(Prices range from $50 to maximum of $100 for 36 5x7 pictures). We even won a little money in the casino! Go to Secrets Excellence; consider the upgraded amenities and services with the Excellence Club, and enjoy each other. Everything about those 5 days was spectacular!

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Latrobe, Pa.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2003

My wife and I just returned form Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana. After reading all the reviews, I was a little apprehensive about what to expect. Upon arrival at the hotel, the person at the front desk informed us the room was not ready, and to have lunch. I thought - o-oh, the reviews were right about the check in wait. My wife and I had a very nice buffet lunch with drinks, took about a 5 minute stroll around the lobby, and went to the front desk. The clerk politely gave me my room keys, and direction to the room - all in English, although I understand enough Spanish to get by. When my wife and I entered our room, we were totally taken away by the space and luxury of our room. Even better, we opened the curtains to find out we were given an ocean view room with the wedding gazebo right outside our balcony! Talk about a post card view.Let me tell you a dollar or two in tips goes miles at this resort. We had the same waitress almost every morning at breakfast. I always left her a tip, and in return my wife would walk in to a "muy bonita senora" greeting every morning. Also I received service that was out of this world.At the beach in the mornings, the groundskeeper who set up the chair under the palapas, could get to me fast enough - I always had pads, a clear area, and a drink stand as soon as he saw me - all for a dollar tip.The American hotel system could take a lesson in hospitality from the Dominicans - they are a people who truly have nothing, yet will give you everything they have.The only minor complaint I had from the trip was the food on the buffets was not real hot, and the pizza is very different by American standards. Otherwise, the found was very tasty, well presented, and of a very high quality. There was no cutting on the drinks either - I was drinking Absolut vodka or drinks with 151 proof rum, when I wasn't consuming an El Presidente beer - a very good Pilsner.I highly recommend this resort - the property is absolutely beautiful, the facilities ample, the beach is bea the pools out of this world. The language barrier is very minimal. If you try to speak even a little Spanish, the will go out of their way to accomodate you.The other nice thing is the can accomodate all age groups - my wife and I were celebrating our 25th anniversary - along with other couple celebrating their honeymoon. Be sure to have your travel agent inform the hotel if you are thier for a special accasion - you will get a romantic dinner in the Dominican Restaurant (Casa Bito) that is out of this world.You will get spoiled not seeing prices on menus, and never being able to pour beer into your glass at dinner.I can assure all readers we will return to Secrest again!!!

20 Thank markinthesun
Austin, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2003

My husband and I visited Secrets Excellence June 7 - 14th. After reading all of the reviews on this site, we found the resort to be very good. The service was excellent (not sure what previous complaints were about). We had no trouble getting into any of the restaurants. Even the one that requires reservations we were able to get in every time we called for a reservation. You might have to settle for a 6:00 or 9:00 reservation when you call later in the day though. The food was really good for an all inclusive resort - lobster, steak and shrimp available at both lunch and dinner. We did not experience a lot of problems with mosquitos because we sprayed with Skin so Soft in the evenings (fewer mosquitos than our Costa Rica trip last year). We brought our own rafts but never blew them up. We did not experience a problem getting rafts. There were always some available at the very end of the pool area. The gym had pretty good equipment and the spa was excellent. We really only felt that 2 things could be improved upon during our stay--the grill food in the afternoon could have an improved selection and the hospitality suite that we used after checking out to shower for our flight was dirty with used towels, etc. These were very minor inconveniences and we did not let it ruin our trip. We talked to several travel agents that were checking out other properties as well as people we met from other resorts on tours and at the airport. Secrets Excellence sounded better than all the other resorts that we heard about. We would definately go back to Secrets Excellence. It was a well run resort.

6 Thank shelleyoeh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2003

What can I add that others already haven't ? June 1 to June 8/03 was our time there and I wish we could have stayed for another week or two. Alina and I found the food to be excellent and the service was outstanding. The staff makes a friendly attempt at communication in English "NOT AMERICAN" and after all we are in a spanish speaking country so live with it. The accomodations couldn't have been more to our liking. After all the food and beverage I consumed over the week I swore I would be tipping the scales when I got home. Surprisingly enough it appears I lost weight. I chalk this up to the fact that we both spent at least 2 hours a day in the ocean boogie boarding.What a blast that was. There simply wasn't enough time to do all that was offered. Nightly entertainment was fun and the daily games are fun as well. Conclusion....Best holiday ever and we will both be back there as soon as possible. Enjoy Doug & Alina

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member