“Perfect honeymoon place!”

Excellence Punta Cana
Ranked #13 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed May 5, 2011

What a great honeymoon spot! This was our first time at an all-inclusive place and our first time in the DR too, and we enjoyed it a lot. From the time you arrive in the breezy, open air lobby to the final goodbye, it's luxury all the way. My husband and I were very impressed by the service (and it's true, throw in a little Spanish - even if they're just saying it to be nice they'll compliment you), our room and the grounds. Went to the beach every day - the water was great and the beach was gorgeous. Loved spending hours under the shade of our own little thatched umbrella, with waiters coming by to bring drinks. There's a great little grill right on the beach where they make woodfired pizzas and other items in the afternoon, so you practically never have to leave the sand. Pools are great too.

Food: it's not going to win any major awards but we did enjoy it, especially Agave and the Asian place. Keep in mind that most places have a dress code - a.k.a. no flip flops and tank tops at dinner - but you don't need to dress to the nines. Round-the-clock room service is genius, and we took advantage of that more than once. The cocktails are great, especially the margaritas. The bed is a little firm like everyone says, but not that bad. We stayed in one of the honeymoon suites, which has it's own balconies and a hot tub outside. Never got around to using the hot tub, but the view of the ocean and the breezy balcony was fantastic.

Tried the spa too - very nice. Got a couples massage... not quite as good a massage as I've had in the states but very relaxing.

For us, five days was just the right amount of time. Bring sunscreen (duh), a relaxed attitude, a little Spanish if you can, some cash for tipping, and you'll have a great time.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RamblinBizzie
There are newer reviews for Excellence Punta Cana

Reviewed May 4, 2011

I cannot sing enough praises for Excellence, Punta Cana and their staff. From the moment we arrived until the moment we departed, we were treated like royalty. Every member of our group thanked us for picking such a wonderful resort for our wedding.

Griselda was our wedding planner and she was absolutely wonderful. From the first correspondence through meeting her in person, she took as much time as necessary to answer all of our questions and never made us feel like anything was too small to be concerned with. She went above and beyond, surpassing all of our expectations. Planning a wedding from so far away can be a daunting experience, but Griselda put our fears at ease and made the experience "Excellente."

ARRIVAL
Everyone mentions the cool towel and champagne upon arrival, and this was definitely a wonderful way to be welcomed. As they gave us the towel and champagne, they said "Welcome Home" and they meant it. We were then escorted to the front desk where the welcome was repeated. They promptly retrieved our reservation, and then had someone escort us to the Excellence Club for our private check-in. We didn't wait long before our introduction to the resort and the club before we were escorted to our room. Our bags arrived at our room shortly thereafter and we were ready to relax and take in the resort.

STAFF
Everyone was extremely friendly at the resort and always had smiles on their faces than never seemed forced. It seemed like everyone who worked there was extremely happy to work there and wanted to do everything in their power to make sure we enjoyed our stay. One of the nice touches was at every restaurant the hostess took the lady to the table by taking her arm and then they would put the cloth napkins on our laps when we sat. Whenever you asked someone how they were, they would say "super excellente!" and you knew they meant it.

FOOD
I really enjoyed the food at Excellence. The buffet had so many options and they were very accommodating with any and all requests. We tried every restaurant at least once. Barcelona was by far our favorite, unfortunately we didn't try it until the last night there. Spice was good, but none of the food was what we expected. The coconut soup was nothing like the Thai food at home, but was good for whatever it was. We ordered room service a couple of times, and although it took 30-45 minutes, it was always good. If you do order room service, make sure to answer your phone as they call to confirm you are there before bringing it up to you. Agave was pretty good, some of our guests liked their food more than others. Oregano had good pizza and the calzone was awesome.

BARS
Every bartender was super friendly and even though the mixed drinks were a little inconsistent from bar to bar, they were always good. We drank a ton of cocolocos and they were by far my favorite. The upgraded mini bar in the Excellence Club was awesome and I even requested a special bottle of one of my favorites that was in the room the very next time I went back. Every bar had top shelf liqour and the martini bar had awesome chocolate martinis and espresso martinis.

AMENITIES
I used the gym a couple times during our stay. They always had the mini-fridges stocked with cold water and chilled towels, which was a very nice touch. The machines were constantly being cleaned and the room was a lot larger than expected. I am very glad I took advantage of this amenity. The sports bar was a little small, but the ice cream and snacks they had there were very good.

WEDDING DAY
This could not have been more perfect. Griselda came to my room to take me and my parents down to the carriage. Arturo of Photosouvenir took beautiful pictures while we were waiting and as we walked to the carriage. Griselda did an excellence job playing all of the music at the appropriate times from our iPod and her assistant had the wine and everything else for the ceremony set-up perfectly. The microphone had a little bit of an issue at the beginning, but was fixed very quickly and did not bother us at all. The weather was beautiful and we read our vows to each other as the sun was setting.

RECEPTION
Again, way too much food. We opted for the beach bbq so that our guests would have more options than a set menu and it seemed like there were so many more things on the buffet than we had even requested in our pre-interview. I'm not sure why they made so much food, but everything was extremely delicious. We had our own private waitstaff and bartender and they took care of us better than I ever could have imagined. Griselda put our cake topper on our cake and I have to say that the cake was absolutely delicious. Again, another thing I wish I could have taken home with me because it was so good.

By the time we got back to our room, all of our personal items from the wedding had already been brought back for us, they decorated the room with towel animals and flower petals, and had drawn the bath for us. It was a perfect way to end a perfect day.

EXCELLENCE CLUB
We only booked the Excellence Club initially in order to get the discount on our wedding package. As it turned out, we had enough guests staying enough nights to get the discount anyway and we probably could have downgraded, but decided to keep it as it was our wedding trip. I am so glad we did as the Concierge at the Excellence Club was extremely helpful throughout our stay. They upgraded my parents from a regular room without being prompted and were there when any issue arose. I had somehow lost the special pens I brought for signing our Kettubah and for our guest book, and one of the gentlemen at the club gave us a personal permanent marker that saved the day. The Club truly felt exclusive and made our stay even more special.

Overall, we could not have been happier. Having our wedding at Excellence, Punta Cana was the best decision we could have made. The only bad decision was choosing to move to another resort for our honeymoon (review under Majestic Elegance.)

2  Thank fmichelle
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Let me first apologize for posting this review almost 9 months late. I am one those guilty people whom utilize and value others contributions to this site, yet after my trips do not post a review. So, that's why a little late than never.

Excellence Punta Cana (EPC) was the second Excellence resort we have stayed at. Back in August 2009 we stayed at Excellence Isle Mujeres (Cancun.) As you probably already know, I didn't post a review and it’s too far back to do so. But if you are considering that resort, it’s a 5 STAR resort in my opinion.

Rather than writing a lengthy review, I'll try to keep it straight and to the point, based on the information I look for in reviews.

Booking, Check In, Resort Grounds, & Staff
We booked directly with Excellence and I would recommend others do the same, seems to limit the amount of problems. Check in went smoothly and our room was ready in a timely manner. The resort grounds were well maintained as were the pools and beach. I really enjoyed the flamingos, parrots, and geese that roam freely around the gardens. Did not have any issues with any of the staff, tipped sparingly (especially when we wanted something above and beyond the standard service.

Rooms
We had a swim up room where our patio looked directly at the pool bar. When we arrived the pool bar was happening and I was initially worried about the noise. This really wasn’t a problem, when the patio doors were shut; you could occasionally hear the whooping and hollering, but nothing too bad. The pool bar closed by 6pm and all was quiet until about 11am when everyone began to stir.
I had no complaints with the size of the room, cleanliness, or layout. The beds are firm, but nothing that would sway me to give a bad review. To address others complaints or issues with the A/C and musty or mildew smell, you have to take into consideration where you are. The tropics are warm and humid year round and add in the fact that you are in country that is not as fortunate as ours means that it’s not going to be the same. There is a slight “tropical” smell to all the rooms and the A/C units will not cool the room to 70 degrees or cooler. Again remember where you are, the A/C did cool the rooms to the point where it was very comfortable and with the ceiling fan on, we had no problems.

I thought the food was very good, not great. I would rate the quality and taste higher than many of the cruise ships we’ve been on, but not as good as a lot of the restaurants we normally eat at in the US.

Things To Do
We enjoyed the water volleyball, Spanish lessons, archery, and just relaxing around the pool. The location of the resort is not near any other towns, so we just stayed on site.

I hope this was helpful. We had a great time. Not as nice as the Excellence Playa Mujeres, but very enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SWFLReviewer
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I travel quiet extensively and love my all-inclusives, well this one takes top billing for me. I have never been to an all-inclusive that provides white-gloved service levels 24 hours a day. It is unbelievable... whether you are in the pool in the afternoon and the pizza guy comes by and goes in the pool to ask if you want a pizza, if you do and he doesn't have that kind, he gets out of the pool calls someone and in ten minutes its there. You can not walk sit, stand anywhere in site of an employee without them coming up and asking you if you need a drink or want something. The food was better than good, the bartenders outstanding the managers, clearly present, totally accountable and constantly non-stop watching exactly what goes on there with their staff.
There is one negative.. that is there is a mildew smell when you get home on everything, it is because the rooms have no humidifiers. To get it out of your clothes simply add baking soda to your laundry loads and away it goes. You won't notice it while there, but when you get home oh brother. This however, is not enough to deter me from going back here as the clothes have to be washed anyway. Everything was simply Excellente' The swimup room is not really swimup or out and I do not recommend paying the additional dollars.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Cyndi2327
Reviewed May 3, 2011

This was our third visit and this time we went with two other couples. I'm sure it is difficult to please everyone all the time but we have never had a negative experience at this resort. We have travelled to many 5 -star hotels over the years in the US and Europe and we're very happy to return to Excellence. We feel this hotel has everything you need in an adult-oriented hotel. Roberto is one of the friendliest managers we've ever met. A great asset to this organization and presents a genuine warmth to all he meets. He remembered our names from our last stay and greeted us as if we were home from a long trip. The "Club" is a wonderful spot to grab a delicious snack and meet for drinks before dinner, watch a sports game, use the internet and relax. The people working at the club go beyond their duties to meet your every request to make your vacation enjoyable. The spa has very professional people working to help you relax and feel pampered during your stay. A state- of- the- art gym is always available to keep you fit while vacationing. Every night there is a different show in the open air theater with very comfortable seating and great views from every angle. Dancing with a live band next to the ocean or with a dj in the disco is fun after all the food and drinks throughout the day. Our favorite time was at night listening to Domingo playing the saxophone by the piano bar and dancing to favorite songs. Two of our favorite servers, Sonja & Gremmi, kept our glasses full and it was nice that they remembered all of our names every night. Have we eaten better food? Sure! But, for the amount of people they serve everyday on an island far away, I think it was delicious and the various restaurants make that all possible. We go here to relax and enjoy each other and the people who work at this resort make that all possible. Our friends who were there for the first time have not stopped talking about their fantastic vacation and we plan on going back next year for a longer stay. It is the best of both worlds - you can relax as much as you want to and/or participate in activities both on and off premises. You can eat in one of the many restaurants and/ or order room service. You can sit at the pool and/or by the ocean. Ice cream, pizza, served all day as well as grilled food on the beach. Our entire time staying with these hospitable people is always EXCELLENTE!!!!!

2  Thank josu8
Reviewed May 3, 2011

We loved everything about our stay, including the"anniversary" welcome on our door, our view overlooking the pool and the beautiful Caribbean, our dining experiences, the ever-friendly staff, the gorgeous flora and grounds, the gym and the feeling of total contentment and escape!

Room Tip: We loved our second level room with a balcony.
2  Thank barbra1234
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We went here for our honeymoon and had a fabulous time The food was amazing, the beach beautiful, the service friendly and attentive, everything was wonderful and nothing hurt.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple