Hotel Riu Naiboa
Excellence Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$457
Melia.com
$262
$230
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$414
$274
Melia.com
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$325
$848
$557
Hotels.com
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$315
Cancelon
$168
TripAdvisor
3,374 results
All reviewscaribbean streetother hotelswater poloanimation teampool bara la carte restaurantbeautiful beachpalm treesdance lessonssaona islandshows at nightnightly entertainmentplenty of chairsshrimpa lot of funbeach chairswork hard
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We booked our vacation thru Expedia travel from 22nd - 28th Dec. 2013 and more or less had what we paid for. The fare in the buffet was good, though some people thought it monotonous.
The staff were very helpful and friendly. The rooms were kept clean and tidy. The level of noise, however, was too high at night. The bar and entertainment area should have been located further away. The elevators also clanged shut with a loud bang at night waking most sleeping guests.
We were pleasantly surprised to learn that religious services were conducted at the Riu Resort, Palace Punta Cana nearby, so we didn't have to travel to the towns for services. The attendance on Christmas Eve, however, was poor as there was no information printed anywhere to advertise the fact that services were provided. Ordinary staff at the resort were unaware that there was a room downstairs at the Palace where religious services took place on holidays of obligation and other feast days. I strongly believe notices should be put up to that effect.
Expedia's Blue Travel Partner service let us down on two counts. Their representative who was supposed to meet guests in the lobby on the day after arrival did not turn up and we wasted two and a half hours waiting for him. Then Blue refused to send a vehicle to take us back to the airport on departure day although we had paid for a round trip and we had to hire a taxi at the last minute to catch our flight.

Room Tip: Try and be as far away as possible from noisy elevators.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Andrew A
Reviewed December 28, 2013

My husband and I returned last night from a six-night stay at the Riu Naiboa. I was skeptical after reading reviews but after our visit can't say enough good things about our stay. We loved that you could serve yourself beverages (including beer and wine) at the main buffet, and being able to seat yourself was a huge plus and time saver. Also, we loved that the staff was so happy, often singing and smiling as they worked--you don't see that too often! I feel Apple Vacations or Riu (whichever writes the description on Apple's site) may want to reconsider recommending the resort for budget minded travelers as this may frighten some people away. Our only concerns were that the bottled water in the room was not regularly replenished and the room was small; other than that, we had such a wonderful week! We would definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Kara S
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This is 4 star hotel and its quality is fairly praced for this.
Yes, regular keys with massive keychain look archaic and inconvenient for 21-st century. But they are reliable and do not give problems that we had with magnetic tape cards in other hotels.

What we like:
- food was very good. Great fruits. Especially white fish, it was delicious.
- staff is friendly and spoke many languages: English, French, German, Russian.
- Beach is beautiful.
- Small riffs nearby have underwater life to see: fish, coralls...
- Bar on the beach has food and beverages of good quality, so you can be on beach all day long.
- Rooms were clean. Matraces were not orthopedic, a little bit too bouncy, but very good. May be matraces depend on room, our room was 132.
- Rooms have balconies, that is convenient for smokers.
- There are alcohol dispensers with 3 kind of liquor and small fridge with water, pepsi and beer.
- Air conditioning and fan did the job. But it was not too hot outside - +25C.
- nothing was stolen from room. Our door nobody tried to hack. That happened every time in Mexico.
- Animators vere very active and friendly
- lots of watersports things for kids and adults: inflatable toys, kayaks, catamarans, even windsurfing (that was not in very good shape though)
- lots of souvenir shops and boutiques nearby and local souvenir market in 2 km.
- nightlife is there: disco club, casino... we did not go though.

What we dislike:
- No palm-leafs umbrellas on the beach. People is trying to occupy all places with natural shadow, but there are not many of them.
- There are no wall clocks in lobbies and bars, except the bar on the beach.
- Most of windsurfing boards were broken.
- No fins for rent. I took my mask and snorkel, hoping to rent fins. No.
- Watersport stuff (Scuba Cariba company) is a little bit resistive to give out windsurfing equipment, saying that there is not enough wind, like 3-5 knots. It is really not enough, especially with 5m sails they only have, but I like to do LW fristile, so should they care? First couple of times I had to convince them to give me the stuff.
- When there started a good wind, 10 knots and more, they rised red flag on the beach and did not give out any watersport equipment. I understand it may be risky for inexperienced catamaran users. But for windsurfing it was perfect conditions, and no risk for kayaking. They sais they have to follow policies of some "Marina" service. I do not know, they risk nothing because all watersport equipment users sign all kinds of waivers and obligations to pay if they broke equipment, or can buy insurance for the such. But any way, "Marina" dictates to rise red flag, and Scuba Cariba stuff is enjoing of doing nothing on the beach.
- Night hours bar is in the hotel, that is inconvenient for people who want to sleep, and for people who wants to loudly celebrate all night long, both. It would be better to make it distantiated, for example in the beach bar.

- Sunwing air company was painfully slow when we departured. They showed they are incapable to fastly manage flight registrations. For example, they quickly registered Montreal flight passangers. And 2 registers were doing nothing, while more than 200 people were staing in line to two Toronto registers. After some time, and an alternative, they offred us to go to "Exclusive VIP" register for $40US. Thank you! After multiple complaints Montreal registers started to serve Toronto passengers too.

Anyway we had very good time in the resort.

Room Tip: In roons rooms above nigh bar may be some noise from European people who fight jet lag with alcohol and communication.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank M M
Reviewed November 21, 2013

There are 5 RIU Hotels in this subdivision. The RIU Naiboa is not on the beach but a 10-minute walk along a small street with no traffic and plenty of vendors. The beach is nice but rough water with plenty of seaweed. There is a small restaurant on the beach exclusively for guest of the Naiboa. Rooms are extremely small, outdated with no ambiance at all. Nice pool but annoyingly loud music all day and even more annoying entertainers. Buffet is mediocre, basically the same every single day. Front desk staff is arrogant and not willing to assist. Around hotel there is really nothing to do, all hotels, no culture or restaurants. This hotel, although posted in the lobby, has no environmental or sustainability certifications. Energy waste at its best.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
19  Thank Guido B
Reviewed November 5, 2013

There were both positive and negative experiences with this hotel. First off, most of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The only exception was the one time I asked the receptionist at the front desk if I could use their phone to make a call to the tour bus that was a little late picking us up. I could have appreciated an honest answer of "sorry we can't allow that due to hotel policy" instead of being lied to and told the phone doesn't work and just handing me the handset to listen and hear no dial tone. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that you first have to hit a button to get a line. That, and I mean come one... what kind of hotel would they be running if the phone at the front desk didn't work. Point being, I resented the dishonest answer.

Being all inclusive, the food/drinks are definitely something to consider. Before going, I read reviews saying the food was terrible. I wasn't terribly deterred by this because I had gone to a 5 star place in Cancun prior to this trip where the food was absolutely fantastic. The downside to fantastic food was I gained 10# during my stay. I figured subpar food would encourage me to eat less. To a certain point, it did make me eat less. However, it was always possible to find something that was "acceptable" to eat so I was never hungry. I don't drink, so I can't comment much on the alcohol, but their non-alcholic beverages were good. Overall, as long as your expectations aren't set high you'll be pleased with the food and you won't go hungry. If you expect 5 star meals, go to a 5 star hotel and pay 5 star prices.

The hotel pool was nice. It wasn't an infinity pool with a view of the ocean, but I enjoyed it.

The beach was a very short walk, but it was good. The beach was fantastic. They also had a snack restuarant right on the beach so you didn't need to walk back to the main restuarant for lunch or drinks.

The room itself was nothing to write home about. I was mislead to believe the "Double Room - 2 double beds or 1 king bed" rate would entitle us to a king size bed. I must have neglected to expand show all room descriptions, for there is where you will find out that a double room has a queen bed or a double bed and single bed. Apparently there isn't any king size beds in the entire hotel. At any rate, we were given a double bed and single bed. Needless to say the double bed for me and my fiance was horrible. First off, just the fact it was a double bed sucked. The mattress itself was NOT comfortable which made it that much worse. It wasn't much of an improvement over sleeping on the tile floor. The mattress was something I would have expected in a 1 or 2 star rated hotel.

The air conditioning in the room was not great. It was quiet, but I don't know if it's just because it's the tropics and the physics are such that the a/c can't get the room very cold, but it seemed to take a long time for the room to get comfortable enough for me to sleep. My fiance thought it was cold enough though....

One night in the middle of the night I was awoken by the fiance when she was in the bathroom as she shrieked at the sight of a cockroach. We didn't notice any sort of infestations though.

Our room was also above a bar/entertainment area. Needless to say it wasn't exactly a quiet stay either.

I'm satisfied overall with the stay we had. We managed to have a good trip/time despite the shortcomings. I suppose I got what we paid for; $119/nt versus $450/nt at a 5 star place.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple