“Enjoyed myself”
Review of Hotel Riu Naiboa

Hotel Riu Naiboa
Ranked #78 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I decided to check reviews on this resort days before I was to actually go to it and I was immediately taken over with anxiety. Most of the reviews are horrible. Thank goodness it was nothing compared to what most people said. The service was great, we were always accommodated in a timely manner. very informative when it came to the hotel and its activities
excursions and other tours etc .. knowing that this was the smallest and least expensive of the Riu resorts, everything was as expected. There were Two things I did not like. the fact that the resort is not beach front was a little disappointing but it was about a 2 minute walk.and the food omg .. rice and beans everday, the menu had no variety the food is the same everyday lunch and dinner, you can reserve dinner at either their restaurant or Riu Bembu's which has to be done no later than 7:20 am or else its booked which is stupid if you ask me. Overall I'd rate the trip a solid 4. First time to DR and I loved every minute of it.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank CaW88
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Naiboa

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We arrived and was ok at check in but not really interested in giving us any information on arrival. First couple days we were finding our way round then it was Friday and all hell broke loose with the arrival of the locals as they took over the pool and any sunbed with or without towels and pool side stuff at them. We were very surprised how very rude they were. The night time was loud and late. you would expect some noise but it was loud. Saturday and Sunday were much the same people steeling towels off sunbeds while we were in the pool not happy. On the last day a small Dominican child came over to us while we were sitting on a sunbed and there was a drink on the floor he picked it up and tipped it all over the floor and ran off to the pool in shock I couldn't say anything. the bar staff work really hard and the pool guys were great the cleaners did the best they could. But don't go, there were not many English people in this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Mel H
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were pretty much the only American's there. The staff was rude to us. We were told we could use the amenities at the other Riu's but we could only make reservations at the Steakhouse at one of the resorts (which is about a mile down the beach). If you try and make reservations you have to be in the buffet area by 7 am to make reservations and then they only take about 10 people each day. We tried to use the other resort's pool and was turned away because we had a different colored wristband. The spa is actually at the Palace hotel and that was very nice, but i hated walking thru the other beautiful resort and then returning to ours. The rooms were very small and the food was not very good. The bed was about a Double size and very uncomfortable. I did like the alcohol dispensers on the wall in the room. The buffet food was different. There were hotdogs for breakfast and tuna pizza. My husband actually got sick one day. What they call their "Italian" restaurant is a joke. They had steak and fish on the menu and NO Italian. I believe this resort was rated between a 3-4 star but its clearly not a 3! The only nice thing about the place is their big pool but unfortunately they don't have a swim up bar and you have to get out and walk up a hill to the bar each time. It is not located on the beach either. You must walk down a boardwalk to get to the beach. These resort was definitely not our favorite.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Melissa S
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Okie.. I booked this one because there was not much of choices left for the date i am traveling and apparently, you can not stay in a room with a child unless if there are two adults. I went through US Airways to book this vacation.

The ride from airport to hotel is not that long... it is about ~ 30 minutes...

My room, the mini refrigerator has stain every where. The bed were small and hard. The bathroom was disgusting with stain everywhere. Seriously, i was so miserable throughout the entire trip. Thank God for the nice beach otherwise, i would go crazy. The room smells really bad and I thought about sleeping out in the balcony but i was afraid of bugs and snakes crawling up.

So.. here is my quick summary... This resort is not right on the beach. You need to walk out in the back and pass a series of stores before you get to the beach. It is not a long walk but the walk can be anoying as people will ask you to come come and let me show you what i got in my store. There is one pool, it is not that big but good size. There is one restaurant with Buffet style and 2 other restaurant, requiring reservations. We ate at one and got fish.. there is bone in the fish so you have to be careful. The menu is very limited... We spent most of the time dining at the buffet. Fish and Fish everyday. Their meat doesn't look too appetizing so i stayed away. Entertainment, same show every day... Most of the time, I have a hard time understanding what's going one because they speak very fast and 75% Spanish mix with 10% English.. the remaining %, i have no idea.

The buffet service was very good... They will make every effort to accommodate you.

In summary, stay away from this place... stay at other Rui. even if you have to put in another couple of hundred $, trust me, it is worth it.

Hope this helps...

Room Tip: Everyday, you have 10 free wi-fii minutes. Stay in the lobby... If you are staying here, just try t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank wuvemydragon
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The 5 Star Riu Resorts and totally awesome, Naiboa is a step under them at 4 but its more like a 3. The staff at Naiboa were always nice and the room was always clean. Not many people speak English on staff but that was ok with me. The guys working excursions at Naiboa were top of the Line especially Eudy!! He really helped us all week with language barrier and excursions plus he made calls for us and helped with transfers back to airport. The food was good and the reservation at steak house was nice to. This place likes to party, which is not for me, but it didn't bother me that others did so u may want to pick one of the other Riu properties for calmer evenings and solomn days by the pool. On the weekend I was there, the locals had reservations so that really made it hectic but by Monday all was well..We visited all the other properties and If I go back I'll stay at one of their 5 Star Resorts next time because it will surely be worth the $ to upgrade to one of those. They have lounge beds in their swimming pools and food is better. Scuba Caribe took care of our scuba diving needs on the Atlantic Side and Emilio Garcia is the man to see for that. He knows his "stuff" when it comes to diving and all the ends and outs of the cave systems there. Diving the Caribbean Side is much better diving and Eudy can book a trip to Saona Island which was wonderful and worth the $.
Had a good time! Would definately Go BAck!!

Room Tip: Our room was over the bar and stage area (105) so if you don't plan on staying up until the show...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank DiveGirlky
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We just return from riu naiboa, most of staff are great at réception we can speak french with most of them And in english to of course they appreciate when we try talk spanish a little.the hôtel is clean but old not far from beach nice garden &pool ok entertainment is ok too.the food is no good,cold No kept under hot light &always the same every day only 2 resto a la carte 1italian with no meal italian only 3choices of plate &1steak house but not at the hôtel you have to walk to go there And very ordinery and for wine no possibility to buy a bottle only the house wine this is not our first trip And we have more quality at puerto plata in 3 stars hôtel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cricri88
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Riu Naiboa, we were there from May 14 to May 23 2013, i was not very pleased with the staff, If you ask a question you get different answers. They all try to sell you excursions, that are over 90.00 USD. They try to get you tourist cabs that will charge you an arm and a leg. They were definetly not very helpful. The room we shared with a gf of mine, we got a small bed and a double bed, "why" i dont undestand. The rooms are small first night there we saw a roch in the room. The pool sucks, they close the pool at 6pm and it opens until the next morning. There is no snack bar after 10pm, so if you get hungry,your out of luck. Entertainment sucks, the night entertainment really is boring, and the day entertainment is even worst. Punta Cana is also very very expensive, the resorts offer a variety of shops that will have you broke by the time you leave. My advice would be to leave the resort, go to a small town that is call Vavaro its very cheap there you will pay for souvenirs 75% less than you will pay at the resort. Also, the night club at the resort you have to pay for your own drinks... A beer is costing you 3 dollars USD..I thought it was an all inclusive resort????
The positive out of all this is the beach, it is beautiful. That was the only thing i really enjoyed.
The hotel is a small walk away from the beach..O yeah and the food is horrible, it is redundant...awful...I will never go back to this resort or even punta cana....

Room Tip: If you are going to book make sure you book at the Palace or if your booking at the Riu Naiboa ask f...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
#85 of 112 in Punta Cana
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
#56 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Hotel Riu Naiboa? Share your experiences!