“Excellent choice!”

Ranked #78 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Bilbao, Spain
“Excellent choice!”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The hotel is gorgeous, just like the entire resort. Despite the fact that the surroundings are rather wild, there is constant entertainment available. Additionally, it is possible to spend each evening in a different hotel (there are bingo games, concerts, discos, etc.).
I went to a number of hotels and this one seemed the best – the pool was large, clean, there were many beach chairs available and there weren’t as many guests as in other neighbouring hotels.
The food was excellent, with lots of vegetable dishes and fresh fruit.
The beach seemed heavenly, like something you see in catalogue photos.
I wouldn’t mind going back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank trvlgrll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bilbao, Spain
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The hotel is located in a pretty garden near a very nice beach. The building itself is asking for a serious refurbishment. There are many walls with peeling paint and it makes it look slightly dingy.
The restaurant menu is fine, but gets monotonous after a while. There is some entertainment provided by the hotel but it’s nothing out of the ordinary.
I did see rats in the mini club as well as on the beach at certain times (before dawn and after dusk).
I stayed only a few days there but I heard other guests complaining about unchanged bedding as well as towels.
It is an ok place, but there are probably better choices available in this price range.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Madrid, España
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I have visited this hotel several times and they have changed a lot of things at the hotel. Some are good and some not that much... I really liked the change in the restaurants and bars but I definitively miss the possibility of visiting the other riu hotels in the complex.
My concern was about the beach and a place to have a snack or something over there, but the problem has been solved with a snack bar right close to the beach access. It is true that you have to walk a little bit to go to the beach (no more than 300m) but it would be the same in a huge hotel where your room is far away from the sea, so no big deal.
The swimming pool is the best of a lot of pools in hotels. Some people would lime to have a bar inside of it but for me it is better not to have it since people is not always clean and nice and those pools end up with lots of glasses, drunk people and more "liquids" , which is disgusting.
Staff has been great like always: The director, always concerned about our stay and comfortness, bartenders willing to help (Torito, Maria, Silvestre, Yocander, Juan,...), nice people at the reception helping when something goes wrong (actually not too many things to complain about but still helpful) (good job, Bautista, Rafael, Pascual, Deyanira,...), swimming pool staff (Jose, Pablo, Rafael)... All!!!

This hotel is not a 5 star hotel, dont expect luxury, you get what you pay for, and it is a good value for your money!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Willafog
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Small hotel, located fare from the beach. One big building. Food was very good and entertainment. Beach are good, but fare- like 10 min walk. Also you need to reserve your place in the beach earlier or no shade!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nelya B
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Beautiful location and the beach is breathtaking. Not a lot to do at the resort. If you walk far down the beach though locals have market .Shacks set up to barter and buy unique local crafts. Our beds however had bed bugs and the rooms we're very tiny. :(

• Stayed January 2012
Reviewed August 13, 2012

For starters I was traveling with my 9 year old daughter and her classmate along with the classmate's mom. (So we were a party of 4) When I arrived the lobby was clear and there were no lines, I stepped up and gave my reservation papers to the front desk person, then was given 1 key. I actually was expecting to get 2 keys since there were 2 adults, because there was an instance during the trip where we forgot the key in the room, so having another key would have been helpful. Anyway this hotel is all inclusive and we should have all received bands on our wrists upon checking in but that wasn't the case. Its not until a day later I noticed others wirh bands and wondered why we didn't have them. I had to go the front desk and that's when they realized that whoever checked us in had forgotten an important step.

So when we opened the door to our room which was located on the 3rd floor, there was a slight smell of must/mold in the air but after the air was on it wasn't bad. Now as I stated before we were a party of 4 ladies. 2 adults and 2 girls and much to my dismay in the room had a full size bed and a twin bed. At this point I'm getting really annoyed because I'm thinking an error has been made. When making my reservation I specifically asked for 2 full size beds and was also informed by their website that they actually had that. Well I went to the front desk to inform them of their mistake and was told that all their rooms were the same except for the suites which had 1 king size bed. Their only solution for me was to bring in another twin bed into the room. At this point I am furious and start making phone calls in hopes of getting pacified in some other way but to no avail. That twin bed was our only option and I just had to make the best of it. The housekeeping arrived pretty quickly with the bed. As they're setting up I'm looking at the mattresss and it looked gross with stains on one side and when they saw it they flipped it to the other side. The sheets that they put on top were not much better they looked yellowish instead of the white color they were supposed to be. The room was already small so with the added bed it made it very hard for 4 people to get around. We ended up not staying in our rooms that much because once we left in the morning, we never returned until it was time for bed.

The room was very average no modernization at all. The TV was not a flatscreen. The phone didn't work so if I needed anything I had to go down to the front desk. The refrigerator in the room didn't work, I told them and they didn't seem to care or probably pretended they didn't understand. In the set of towels that you get there are no washcloths, and there is no ironing board or iron in the rooms. For an iron we obsereved another guest get one from the front desk. So I went to request one and realized that I had to pay $20 deposit to get the iron for and hour and I would get my money back when the iron was returned. How annoying and inconvenient that was.

Some other things that annoyed me was how barely no one besides the front desk people spoke english. And many of the personnel didn't seem very helpful at all. My daughter's swimsuit had fell off the balcony onto a lower roof landing, I went to the front desk and explained that I wanted the swimsuit retrieved. I was told by the front desk that I had to find one of the housekeeping ladies and tell them. So while at breakfast I had to run up to the floor to see if I could find one. I found a housekeeper and was trying to explain my dilemma and she was just looking at me clueless. She was under the impression that I didnt have my key and just opened the door for me and was going to walk away until I motioned for her to come in. I had to take her to the balcony and point to the swimsuit and only then did she understand. Thankfully later that evening the swimsuit was retrieved and was in the room. Another thing I noticed was that there were a lot of locals at this hotel. I felt that there were more of them than actually vacationers/tourist and I kind of felt that they were taking over and did not feel at all welcomed.

Some positives about this hotel is the food at the buffet I felt like breakfast, lunch, and dinner was the highlight of my days. The drinks were decent, and the pool was nice although they could do a much better job of having waiters at the pool to order drinks because most of the time we would have to go up o the bar and order. Another positive was that the pool area was well maintained and was continously kept clean. The beach towels they provided could use some replacements because a lot of them looked stained and old. The beach was also very nice and was just a five minute walk from the pool area.

All in all we made the best of this place the kids enjoyed themselves greatly because they stayed in the pool all day. Also to note that there is no kids club. The saying "you get what you pay for" will resonate loudly in my head when booking my next vacation. If it is not at least 4 stars with great reviews I will pass, no matter how good the deal is. I have been accustomed to to excellent hotels and services so when I arrived here I was greatly disappointed in many ways, and would never return and/or recommend this place to anyone no matter how good the deal is.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Mlove921

Travelers are raving about these Punta Cana hotels

Essex Junction, Vermont, United States
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at the Riu Naiboa. Man, was this a learning experience!!! We aren't seasoned travelers at all, and definitley not very picky, so we didn't take much notice of the other poor reviews. We figured that they must have been writen by well traveled, stuck up people. We were WRONG! We quickly realized that our "affordable" trip was definitely affordable for a reason! Where do I even begin my complaints of this place...

We arrived around 2:30pm and were taken to a room that was TINY! We had a parking lot view...lovely...not! Since my husband and I aren't too picky we decided not to complain about the size or location of the room.

When we were in the lobby we were told that lunch ended at 3:00pm so we'd better hurry. We quickly unpacked our things and went down to grab some food from the buffet. GROSS!! Granted, it was the end of lunch service, but REALLY?? Everything was dried up under head lamps, or completely cold with flies buzzing all around it. Staff was eating their lunch in the dining room which I thought was completely unprofessional. But we thought....it's the end of lunch, so dinner will be better!

Well....it was at least a LITTLE better....but not by much. This was the first and the last time we had dinner in this buffet--because we took the advice of another reviewer, and turned our blue wrist bands around so that they were white, and we went next door to the Riu Bavaro Palace. This place was beautiful!! Food was great, presentation was impressive, and the staff was actually helpful! We had dinner at the Bavaro every night! We were a little sketched out, thinking that someone was going to catch on, but they either didn't notice or didn't care.

We still choked down breakfast (and sometimes lunch) at Naiboa, because we didn't want to push our luck over at Bavaro. Even at the beginning of breakfast and lunch service, it was cold or drying up under heat lamps. Ick ick ick!

But DON'T go to the Sports Bar at the Bavaro. This was one place where the staff noticed our wristbands, quietly tapped her wrist and shook her head, and we were on our way. Whoops! :-)

At Naiboa, the staff (especially the staff specifically there to have fun with the guests) ignore you if you don't speak Spanish! Granted, I know I'm in their country and should respect their language, but there are so many English speaking tourists, you'd think that they'd want to impress them too....well, they don't! We were completely ignored pretty much the whole time we were there.

The nightly shows were lack-luster. We usually didn't stay up long enough to even catch the show, but I don't think we missed much on their tiny stage. The one thing we did look forward to in the lounge area at night was Bingo. The guy that did Bingo was the only one who spoke every language to every tourist and had fun with it!

The pool area was also a highlight. I have no complaints about the pool area, except for the staff going around and letting everyone (and by everyone, I mean Spanish speaking guests) know to join in on their games. Again, we were ignored. This was the only place where there was any sort of activities going on, and it was mostly kids.

The place really was very cleanly, no complaints there! However, the cleaning staff walked in to our room THREE TIMES when we were in the room!! And they didn't even knock!! My husband went down to complain, and they asked him if we put up the red tag that says do not disturb...we weren't given a red tag!! So they apologized and said that they'd send up someone to bring a red tag. While we were waiting...and waiting...and waiting for the red tag, it happened AGAIN!! Someone walked in without knocking to restock our bar. I was furious so I went down myself to the front desk. They apologized, but nothing more. Then it still took another 30+ minutes for a red tag to be brought to our room.

We waited 1.5 hours the first night when we asked for two extra pillows, because they only give you 2 total. The second night, we waiting 1.5 hours (and a second phone call) for an extra blanket. I will say that their AC worked VERY well! It definitely got chilly, but it was welcome after hot days!

We went on two excursions and they were GREAT! We did the Bavaro Splash and Caribean Festival (Stingray Bay). Both were offered to us by VIP Travel Services who were a HUGE help. (And also agreed with us, at the end of our stay, that Riu Naiboa was horrible).

All in all, we still had a great time dispite unhelpful service, awful food (but Bavaro saved us for dinner!!) and less than great shows. The beach was fantastic (although still unfriendly bar tenders) and drinks were always strong! But we definitely couldn't wait to get home!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
#80 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Hotel Riu Naiboa? Share your experiences!