“Typical caribbean resort”

Ranked #65 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Cincinnati
“Typical caribbean resort”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just got back from a week at this resort and was not overly impressed. We arrived late at night (after midnight) and were traveling as a group of 8 people with 4 rooms. We were assigned rooms nowhere near each other as we had requested originally. They kind of got out of this fiasco by rooming 4 of us in a 3 bedroom apartment, which was ok since we had 4 women and this gave us 3 bathrooms, one in each room. We had 1 king bed and 2 rooms with 2 double beds. The first room had issues. It smelled really musty and the a/c unit in one of the bedrooms leaked water/condensation so badly that it got the whole side of one of the beds wet. We sucked it up for the first night since the front desk person was not willing nor able to move us. We took up the issue with our vacation representative in the morning as well as the manager and he moved us to the apartment downstairs which was much better, or at least no leaky a/c. They did stock our refrigerator every day with bottled water, Coke & Sprite & beer. Towels were changed out every day and the beds were made. Language is a bit of a barrier if you are not speaking to someone in the restaurant, bar or front desk. Most of the housekeeping and maintenance staff do not speak much english. We did manage to reserve dinners at the Mexican, Italian, Japanese and Brazilian restaurants. The Mexican was OK and the Italian was pretty bad. The best by far was the Japanese hibachi & sushi. The food at the buffet is pretty much the same every day and they even seem to re-hash the leftovers from dinner the night before at breakfast as well. The salad dressings leave quite a bit to be desired. The only thing that tastes close to what it shoud is the oil & vinegar. The pools temperatures are alot warmer than what I would prefer with the daily temperatures in the 90's and by mid afternoon the pool feels like bath water. There is a disco that opens at 11pm, and I would highly suggest for females DO NOT GO BY YOURSELF! Take a friend and WATCH YOUR DRINKS! The shows are mildly entertaining and the activities by the pool are the same daily. Drinks are poured pretty heavily although its all a well-brand liquor for them. The beach was OK, but the water was not good for any snorkeling. Be aware this resort is on a public beach so vendors are all over the place with stuff for sale as well as women that do the hair braiding and selling parasailing rides. We did do the Saona Island trip which was a catamaran about 45 minutes to the beach area. The beach area is full of rocks & huge conch shells. Take a pair of water shoes or you will be disappointed! The rocks and shells go out about 20-30 feet into the water and are not comfortable to walk on. This property also sells timeshares so just ignore them if you see them. They wear some white shirts that say something like "tell only your best friends". I didnt have any issue with them while I was there. The vendors that come to the resort twice a week will hassle you to come look at their stuff. if you dont want to look, just keep on walking. They will haggle with you on prices for alot of stuff so just ask.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dirección Be Li... G, Manager at Be Live Collection Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Ohio travel,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at Be Live Grand Punta Cana. We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you regarding the room’s location, but unfortunately the requests are always subject to the availability.

Our guests’ comments are really important for us, and we take them as an opportunity to improve the service constantly.

We look forward to serve you again in the future.

Be Live Grand Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,306)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed here last year, same time period. The building I was in was closer to the adult pool, 3rd floor, no elevator. Not surprising for a Caribbean resort. I had a great time last year. Really enjoyed my stay. I speak Spanish fluently & found the staff accommodating & friendly. I never had anyone approach me about the vacation rentals (timeshare) perhaps because I was traveling alone.

This year was even better. I was here with my fiancé & we were only there one night, for our anniversary. We stayed on another part of the island the rest of the week. I booked via hotels.com and enjoyed a "free night". I LOVE hotels.com- stay 10 nights, get one free!!! So, I used my full free night credit & we were able to upgrade to a "grand suite," ocean view king.

We arrived early, 12noon, & the Lobby & front desk area were very busy with check outs. We knew check-in time was 3pm, so we were ready to be turned away & spend some time at the pool or beach. Perhaps grab some lunch.

We had to wait for quite some time before we were finally acknowledged. I presented my printed confirmation from hotels.com. We were told that we were VIP and to wait in the lobby for someone to come get us as the c/in area was separate. I didn't know we were VIP, but concluded that our room type put us in that category.

Wow! We were in building 7, right by the beach. We were on the 3rd floor. This building has an elevator!! and what a view! Our room was clean and well appointed. Large bathroom with separate shower & jacuzzi tub. There was also a jacuzzi tub on the outside patio! Marvelous!!

The VIP service was excellent. Jennifer on c/in was very nice. We told her it was our anniversary & she promptly congratulated us. A bit later that same afternoon she mentioned "something special had been sent to our room". We thought how lovely! In honor of our anniversary. We never rec'd anything. Come to find out that the room reservation included a "bottle of sparkling wine". We never got it. The mini bar was well stocked, however, with beer, water & soft drinks.

VIP status gave us access to the lovely VIP air conditioned lounge, private beach bar, pool and beach. These areas are sectioned off and accessed with your VIP wristband (black vs. the standard blue one). I would highly recommend that this be monitored & enforced. There were three couples with bluebands that made their way to the pool & bar that 1st afternoon. They had many many drinks & installed their own awful music on a large speaker. The bartender should have turned them away. We left and headed to the private, lovely VIP beach.

The Windows buffet restaurant was good. Breakfast was good. The bacon was under done & fatty, but The sausage & eggs were good. The morning bread & juice selection was excellent. Lunch was just ok. The Chef had something like 10 grilled pork chops sitting ready on the grill. By the time I got one it was VERY dry.

We didn't have time for dinner reservations as you need to make them the day before. But we decided to try our luck & just walk in & see if they could seat us. We arrived at the Italian restaurant at 9pm. As we walked in (it's an enclosed restaurant) it was odd that it wasn't very cool in there. All the windows & doors were closed, but it was evident that the A/C wasn't working right. The hostess told us she could seat us (it was not busy). I asked we not be seated by some very bright overhead hot lights & she seated us right in front of the kitchen where she said it was cooler!

We noticed a slight "fog" in the air and after a few minutes someone, thankfully, opened up the front doors. That helped a bit. The poor waiters were sweating profusely, and their eyes were stinging; after a short while our eyes were stinging, too. We realized then it wasn't the AC but rather likely the exhaust fan in the kitchen wasn't working. A maintenance person showed up, but all we saw him do was stand around.

We wanted to leave, but ordered and ate quickly & left. The food was really rather bad. The white table wine was warm! THe caprese salad & prosciutto & melon were ok. The pasta with shrimp was pretty bad. The grilled calamari wasn't bad. The tiramisu & sabayon were bad. Very disappointing. Listen, if the exhaust fan isn't working, close the restaurant & fix it!!!

Lunch the following day at the beachside buffet grill was actually pretty good. We enjoyed some delicious grilled chicken, a burger & fries.

The staff photographer, Wendi, was terrific!!! He took many posed pictures of us at the beach and we were extremely pleased with the quality!!!

Regarding the timeshare salesmen, yes they were there. Surrounding the restaurant exits ready to pounce on the next unsuspecting couple. And as a couple we were approached I believe, 4 times in 24 hours. We shrugged them off. Said no thank you. We weren't rude, they weren't rude; we just smiled & kept walking.

We found that overall the hotel was excellent. The overall rating of "very good" was due to the food & non-compliance of the VIP areas. We will definitely return!! Thank you.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bloque 7 - VIP section. Excellent building, location & service.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ana C
Dirección Be Li... G, Manager at Be Live Collection Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear BeachAna,

Thank you for your detailed review regarding your recent Stay at Be Live Grand Punta Cana. Your comments are really important for us, and we take them as an opportunity to improve constantly.

We will make sure to share your comments with our team, we are sure they will be encouraged by your remarks.

We look forward to serve you again and give you another unforgettable Be Live Experience.

Oakville, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have just returned on September 14 after spending a week at this hotel. Staff were very helpful, very kind, most had a good sense of humour. All a la cartes were good, except for Italian. Would recommend Japanese and Mexican for sure! Room was ready when we arrived at 12 noon, room was clean, fresh towels daily. If you are looking for dancing, there is not much here. Night entertainment was good, especially the Michael Jackson show. There is a disco at night for young people, very loud though! Lots of variety of food at buffet, something for everyone. I loved the fresh croissants every morning. Enjoy!

Room Tip: If you prefer separate beds, make a note on your travel request, we booked with Sunwing.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lesley L
Dear Lesley L,

On behalf of our team and myself, thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at Be Live Grand Punta Cana.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am sure will be encouraged by your remarks.

We look forward to serve you again in the future and give you another unforgettable Be Live experience.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

So me and my hunny went to this hotel first vacation in a long time outside Canada ok I'm excited we get there the room isn't ready in unti 2:30 and its not what we paid for not to mention when I asked the desk clerk why isn't this room where I had requested it to be he did not get back to me till half an hour and said we upgraded ur room little did I know the room would be far from the beach block 14 and the pillows sheets smelt like mould the staff mop but don't change ur sheets they just make the bed yea I know!! Anyways the food is not good this is coming from a chef I'm not picky but however Italian a la cart is just a sad excuse at an attempt to make Italian food is was nasty and the French just get ur steak med well any less its raw not med rare not rare RAW and not to mention Mexican a la cart just upsetting nachos and cheese Only thing perfected at that place the buffet is nasty no bacon for breakfast no good nothing nd dessert just get ice cream ok that it for the food and room now lets tell u about the harassment u will receive from people selling u everything all the time every step u make what they don't tell u is the locals pay the hotel some money to set up kiosk or sell stuff on the ocean line and there is something There called mamma wanna they give u a bottle of this stuff in wood chip form if not prepared properly it can make u really sick so watch out and nothing is as it seems at that hotel excursions are way too expensive and everything is made to make u spend money it's crazy I would never stay here again and would not recommend this hotel to anyone I loved so if that's not a hint I don't know what is

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Kulczycky
Dear Kulczycky,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Uniontown, Ohio
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Like others, after reading other reviews we weren't sure we had made a good choice, but we were going with other family members who had already made reservations, the price was right, so we took a chance. Not sure I would go back in September, Hot & Humid, but I would definitely recommend this property if you get a good price. They have 6 specialty restaurants. We ate in all 6 during our 7 night stay and one twice. The Brazilian (Rodizo) is the Best, followed by the Gourmet and then the Sports Bar and Asian. Skip the Italian and Mexican. Our only complaint with all the restaurants a lack of Air Conditioning. Most nights it was almost too hot to enjoy your meal. The Brazilian is outside and it was the most comfortable - both nights. All Restaurants are NOT open every night, when we were there we could only get the Brazilian on Tuesday and Thursday, so it's best to schedule what you want for your whole trip when you first arrive They have a couple different local Rums. Insist on the BRUGAL. It's much better than the one they use to fix your drinks with if you don't ask. There are 4 different Brugals - they are all good. We had no complaints with the room. Maid service was a little late some days, but no problem.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a Junior Suite. Very large and comfortable. Others in our party had smaller room...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ken B
Dear Ken B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Be Live Grand Punta Cana. We feel delighted to know we have met and exceeded your expectations.

I will share your comments with our team; whom I am sure they will be encouraged by your remarks.

Rooms Divisions Manger
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 12, 2013

My new husband and I chose this resort for our wedding since we had been to Puerto Plata the year before, and wanted to try a different part of the island for our destination wedding. It was a nightmare and a dream wedding/ vacation all in one.
We had been planning the wedding for 10 months with a woman named Marolyn Rodriguez from the hotel, and I find out the DAY I ARRIVE that she is no longer at the resort and that someone new was going to help us with our wedding plans. You could imagine what a panicked bride I was, since I never got word that she had left!! Apparently many things were not communicated upon her departure from the resort, not just with the wedding planning but discrepancies with the reservation rates as well. (we had a total of 45 guests coming down for this wedding and check-in was a nightmare)
My husband and I spent wayyyy too much time in the lobby trying to sort things out, time that could have been spent with our friends and family...
Luckily though Marino Gil from guest services reassured us that the resort staff would do whatever it took to make the wedding unforgettable. He met with the Director of Food and Beverage services Mr. Ferran Colet, and the executive chef, making sure our rehearsal dinner the night before the wedding was wonderful, and the reception at one of the restaurants was perfect. Even when a storm system unfortunately forced us to move the ceremony indoors, the staff did what they could to make a big empty conference room look beautiful, and for that I am grateful, since I was so disappointed we couldn't have our dream beach wedding.
Marino and Ferran consistently checked up on us and updated us on the wedding planning, always seeming to find us throughout the resort no matter where we were. Orlando, the manager at the front desk, was also very helpful despite confusion at the front desk, esp since we had a large number of guests with different arrival and departure dates.
Basically, Marino, Ferran, and Orlando were cleaning up Marolyn's mess, however if things were communicated properly none of this would have happened.... The communication between staff, especially administrative staff, needs a lot of improvement. It was this lack of communication between departments that I felt almost made this trip disastrous.
The food was great everywhere (except the Mexican restaurant- very mediocre) and the support staff were all very friendly and helpful.
Overall, the wedding was magical and Marino pulled through on his promise to make it unforgettable. I just hope our experience there will help guide improvements for future guests who have weddings or have large parties traveling together.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Angela P,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your wedding at Be Live Grand Punta Cana. We are delighted to know that besides the issues you encountered upon arrival, we were able to provide you with a dream wedding. We have taken notes of the areas where we did not meet your expectations, and will work on it so it doesn’t happen to future guests.

Your comments will be shared with our team, especially with the ones that made your wedding a dream wedding.

Yarmouth, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed at this resort in February of 2011. I've never written reviews before, but rely on them so much that I'm doing them for places I have stayed in the past. Hope this helps.

This is not a huge resort which was very nice to be close to everything. Entertainment was great!

Rooms - our room was just a standard room nothing fancy but clean. We did buy time shares while we were there and were moved to the extraordinary " building 7". If I didn't get that building again it wouldn't keep me from going back.

Food - Same food as any other resort in the Dominican. Good variety.

Beach - This was my favorite part.....the gorgeous white sand, rock free water which was along side of the beautiful pools . So I could swim in the pool or beach and didn't have to move spots all day. :)

Staff - very friendly staff

I do have a negative, this is a time share driven resort. You are constantly approached to buy. I didn't like this even though we did buy them.

Room Tip: Always try and get a higher floor room. No water damage or musty smell.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Rhonda S,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at Be Live Grand Punta Cana. It is always good to receive good comments from our valued guests.

We look forward to welcome you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,023 reviews
Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana

Been to Be Live Collection Punta Cana? Share your experiences!