“Nice hotel but there is room for improvement, will not return.”

Be Live Collection Punta Cana
Ranked #66 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed August 15, 2013

we booked a standard room and when we received it it was terrible. very filthy so we went to front desk and asked them to move us which they did but the other room was just as dirty. We then opted to pay for an upgrade. The upgraded room was beautiful and very modern and a good value considering we got a good deal on the vacation to begin with. The food at the buffet is okay, noting great. The a la cartes were nice... Beach was loaded with seaweed but this could be because we went 2 weeks after a hurricane so they can't help that. They were cleaning the seaweed numerous times a day so they were trying. The staff is not friendly. Overall for what we paid this hotel was okay, but I will not be coming back. Also the front desk staff is rude, rolling eyes and ignoring you.Definitely going to pay some more and go somewhere better.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JanetKamil
Write a ReviewReviews (11,297)

Reviewed August 14, 2013

First, let me say if you are looking for a nice place for your vacation and you are not willing to pay the extra for a stay in the VIP section of this hotel, then don't stay here. The standard rooms are 2 star quality at best and you will be sorely disappointed. The VIP rooms are much better but a far cry from the 5 star luxury this hotel advertises to be.

Front desk staff lacks customer service skills and the check-in process is ineffective and too time consuming. It took me over an hour and a half to be given a room key and shown to a room.

The food is bearable, but nothing to write home about. For a decent dinner meal make reservations at the Japanese or the Gourmet restaurants. The Mexican, Brazilian, and Italian restaurants are mediocre and the food really isn't much beyond what you could have from the main restaurant.

Amenities and entertainment are good. The spa is nice, but not worth the cost. We did the parasailing and loved it. Biking is free and a decent getaway for an hour or so. Overall if you want to stay at the hotel and don't mind being outside you can certainly find something to keep you occupied. However, the excursions are nice but pricey.

Internet in the VIP section is free but only for 1 device. This is a pain and even more so a hassle with getting the pass code each day. It would be nice to just have free wifi in the room period and not limit it to just one device.

The best thing about Be Live Grand Punta Cana is that there are some awesome people who work really hard to satisfy the guests and to ensure guests walk away feeling heard and appreciate their stay at the hotel. So, let me give a big shout out for David Panou and Rosie Pereyra in The VIP Lounge. These two always provided a smile, a listening ear, and went above and beyond to make me and my friend enjoy our time there. Additionally, Franklin, the cook in the Brazilian restaurant was nice and helpful, as was Jose the bartender in the Front Lobby bar. All of them were friendly, competent, and professional. Thanks guys, we really appreciated your efforts.

Overall, this hotel is slightly above average, if you stay in the VIP area.

Room Tip: Stay in VIP section or stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Noelle T
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I were there at May 2013. First, room was clean but outdated. It was one star room hotel. And we have stinky pillows, ah. I didn't like at all I have to wake up quite early to find decent space on the beach. It lacks beach equipment. Food is very good. Entertainment is decent. People were very friendly and helpful. We have mixed feelings, we will not go there again, there are more better places to be.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The service was horrible. On the first night they put us in a room and there were renovations going on next door until 10 o'clock at night. When you went into a hallway, there was dust fumes in the air. I complained and the staff laughed! They then tranfered us to another and it had the largest coackroaches I ever seen! The American theme restaurant food was so bad it made MCDonlad look like haute cuisine. The AC was noisy too.Overall, I would rank this as one of the worst hotels I ever been in.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Levemar
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The rooms smell bad, my phone bedroom never work, they can afford bring hair conditioners for customers, sound like a joke they four restaurants when you ask at 8:30 am for a reserv all are full for the rest of the week. And the bed are horrible.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank acordero1702
Reviewed August 11, 2013

First off, let me give my shout-outs to certain, outstanding individuals that made my stay enjoyable:

Jose Tema Nicolas (mayor domo from vip7), Rossy Pereyra (from VIP 7). Both of them made my stay quite outstanding. They knew how to listen, asked questions to ensure we were on the same page, and executed their service skills to again, ensure my stay was outstanding.
There was one odd person out, her name was “Esther”, and she worked the VIP lounge administration area. While she didn't ask me to write a review about her, I will say that her attitude towards tourists or customers of the hotel is quite out of the ordinary, as she over talks, does not listen (although this could've been because of her lack of English speaking skills), and had an extremely bad attitude. What I can say is that there were a few other people working there that did notice her attitude and did take note of it.

Hotel (First impressions walking in from a long flight / small bus ride):

So I get off the bus Saturday afternoon 1:30pm, the bellmen takes out the bags and line them up with the rest of… what... about 150-200 people in the lobby waiting for what? Yes, waiting to get into the hotel and/ or are leaving. I couldn’t believe what a chaotic staging area they have for a lounge, not the most welcoming of sights.
It took 45 minutes waiting in line to get situated, learn about the hotel, etc. Ensure you have every single piece of paper given to you by the vacation store, or if you booked this yourself, keep every paper, print them out! They thought were had a standard room, which is a blue wrist band, then we said, we’ve planned this for well, months, and we are in the VIP area. They found the RIGHT papers, and immediately apologized, and provided us with the VIP treatment (apologetic, personal bellman which was Jose, and catered to us quite well thereafter).
If you come in on the weekend, be prepared to see lots of locals, and don’t expect for everyone in the hotel to understand English. I would say this hotel caters to more Spanish people, so I’ll be brushing up on my Spanish if I do go back to the Dominican Republic again.

Hotel (Shops):

Overpriced… enough said… Would you really expect the opposite?

Hotel (Evening Shops):

The hotel hires companies that come onsite and sell a wide variety of crafts, paintings, and jewelry. Again, barging, bargain, bargain. Yes, we are supporting locals, but if you know what you are looking for, and know prices of clothing, or jewelry, don’t get taken from a ride (it’s all Made In China anyway), get a deal, and then tip them a few US dollars.

Punta Cana Market:

If you want and even better deal, and want to take advantage of those bargaining skills go to the small mall which is a 5 minute walk outside of the hotel. The stores are all packed, and from my understanding owned by the same organization, however you can get amazing deals. They have a hair salon, and a pharmacy, which was nice to see. There is also what we call Walmart close by, which is call La Defensea. Get your rum from there, as its 60% cheaper. This is a local market, and it’s not the nicest to look at, but you get deals and you are safe.

VIP AREA (Lounge and Hotel Room):

My family and I stayed in the VIP area (VIP 7), which had free Wi-Fi within the lounge, and a 10 hour Wi-Fi access pass you may obtain from the VIP lounge each day so you may connect to all the other Wi-Fi access points around the hotel. We did have a massive can of bug spray within the room, and boy, did we use it. There were ants coming out of little holes in the grout between the tiles. Although my family and I noticed this half the way through, we stuck with the same room, and just put some use to the can of bug spray. We ensured the cleaning people wiped up the floors as well. We did eat in our rooms, but who doesn't? It's a hotel room after all. So, if I do go back, I'll ensure I eat in the lounge before heading up to my room, or perhaps get a room that is bug free.

VIP AREA (Bar and Pool):

The VIP bar is absolutely the best, well cleaned, had some hot and cold foods, as well as an awesome bartender (I cannot recall his name).
The pool is for only VIP's but don't expect to only see VIP's in the pool (you can tell by the colour bands people wear black and gold for VIP's), there will be a mix of other people from other areas, which is no biggie.

VIP AREA (Beach front):

The hotel have lounging mattresses on the beach, and cabana type huts to lay under. I would not recommend laying on those mattresses, as either they smell of mildew, or are still wet from the people using them.
The beach front needed to be combed, and combed… and combed. There is just too many weeds coming in from the Atlantic Ocean. The water at the time was choppy, however warm. I recommend wearing water shoes as there are some sharp and awkward rocks which hurt

Food:

This hotel have a few different sit down restaurants, which represent different styles of cooking (American, Japanese, Brazilian, and the daily buffet restaurant called “Windows).

Food (American Restaurant):

Just don’t go… I’m not kidding. The steak was a thin ¾ strip. I don’t believe the DR is known for their beer, perhaps they are and this hotel just received bad produce. The Cesar salad was mushy... I’m quite sure the only great part about the Restaurant was the beer; El Presidente, which for being a Pilsner, is bloody amazing!

Food (Brazilian Restaurant):

You need to go here every other day, to ensure you are fed a nice well balanced diet of… MEAT. Now, I’m sure the hotel receives their food from the same supplier, but goodness, the preparation of the bit sized steaks were amazing, the bacon wrapped beer, chicken, lamb… amazing. They serve the meat at the table, and if you wanted any sides, like rice, it’s a buffet style serving, which I didn’t find that bad. There as not many people at this restaurant, which I felt was quite nice seeing it was more intimate, especially being and outside restaurant close to the water.

Food (Windows):

This was the general buffet meeting place. I recommend going in early, so you may get the first pickings of the meals, as well as the best seats (I recommend sitting on the furthest right side as those waiter and waitresses are). The food was alright, you just need to add a bit more salt or pepper, as some food preparations lack the basic spices.

I believe this sums up my experience, and I must say, over all it was an Average hotel, with average traits. It’s rated in the 50’s for a reason.

Room Tip: Spend a big extra for the VIP Room, and make sure there are no traces of ants by the sliding door be...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is the by far one of the worst but worst hotels that anyone can ever stay at. The AC doesn't work to full capacity the rooms are dirty, full of bed bugs spiders and ants, in need of remodeling badly and they smell like rotten sewer. The staff is not customer service friendly and they take forever to fulfill your request if it even gets done. The food was contaminated where my whole family got sick including my 2 year ok baby with a stomach virus. Please to all that read this DO NOT book at this hotel. This message may just save your life.

Stephanie