“Relaxing couples trip!!”

Ranked #65 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Mount Vernon, Ohio
“Relaxing couples trip!!”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Be Live April 20-26. A little background on us, my husband and i vacation fairly often and have been to many Carribean islands. From a B&B on Vieques Island in Puerto Rico to large resorts in Aruba. Most important to us is the beaches and sea. We love to snorkel and dive so we really try to find destinations to accommodate this. The grounds are beautiful and the staff work continuously to achieve this. Yes, the beach has some seaweed. Nothing the staff can do about it accept rake it once it comes in (which they do regularly). It's not really a big deal. The sand is soft and wonderful and i really have no complaints. Your not going to find anything worth looking at as far as snorkeling off the resort. I knew this before booking and for the price i decided i didn't mind.
Yes, the locals do walk along the beach in mass numbers and try to sell you anything from cigars to hats to excursions. Some things we bought and if we weren't interested, they left us alone. For the most part, they like to joke around and laugh and we didn't feel uncomfortable or pressured at all. We went parasailing and it was so much fun!! Also we snorkeled with the stingrays and sharks and that was a good time too!

ROOM- it was adequate. Nothing fancy and we didn't expect it to be. We were ground floor in the Bavaro section. Room 1114. Great location if you like it quiet. We loved the location it was close to the beach and away from the action in the evenings. There is a quiet little "lazy river-like" pool right outside our door. The room was clean and the coffee maker worked (a must). Our cleaning lady was very very sweet and if we needed extra drinks or towels we got them immediately. I can't express how kind all of the staff were to us!! One evening our TV stopped working and they came within an hour and replaced it. This was about 10:00pm.

FOOD- The breakfast buffet was good. Any breakfast food you can imagine. The coffee in the Dominican is amazing!! Made to order omelettes were good. LUNCH- is a buffet also. After the first couple of days, we avoided it. I had a hard time finding anything i really liked and i don't consider myself picky at all. Dinner- We were allowed to choose 3 restaurants for the week and the rest of the week was buffet. The buffet was okay, neither of us really loved the food from the buffet but we could usually find something to satisfy us. The restaurants we chose were the Brazilian- Awesome!! We liked really enjoyed the variety of meat and the ambiance. The Japanese- Phenomenal!! and the Mexican- Pretty Good!!

ACTIVITIES- There is a casino on the resort. It's quite small . My husband and I played Blackjack and we had fun. (Beware of the table/game to the right as you walk in the door. I don't recommend playing even if you get a promo chip. I read a review that they thought it was a scam and i hate to say it but, i think so too. He doesn't work for the resort either. Its really odd.) The staff is fun and entertaining. There is usually nightly entertainment and in the central area there is a large seating area with always something going on in the evenings. There was a band playing a couple of nights. The staff is quite fun and tries to get everyone to join in the dancing ect. We aren't into disco's so I can't speak about that but, there is one on site.

Overall, we had a great time at Be Live and I'm sure we will be back. The weather was beautiful. The snorkeling not so great but i didn't even really miss it! The Dominican people are very warm and helpful. We did see some "sketchy" people near the marketplace in front of the resort but we never felt threatened. Definitely come prepared to bargain and banter the prices for EVERYTHING. It was part of the experience and just how things are done there. I can't wait to bring the kids!!

Room Tip: Bavaro section room 11114 is close to beach and a quiet pool right outside your door!!
3 Thank Jenny43050
Dirección Be Li... G, Manager at Be Live Collection Punta Cana, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Jenny43050,

On behalf of our team members, thank you for writing a review regarding your recent stay at Be Live Grand Punta Cana.
We are very happy to know we were able to meet and exceed your expectations.

Your comments are of a great importance for us, and help us improve the service constantly.

We look forward serve you again in the future, and give you a memorable Be Live experience.

Kind regards,

Rooms Divisions Manager
Be Live Grand Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,333)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
waterloo, ontario
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My sister and I (ages 37 and 45) stayed at this resort from April 17 to 24, 2013. This is an honest review from a seasoned traveller who LOVES the Dominican Republic. I have travelled to the Dominican Republic 10+ times, staying exclusively at 4, 4.5 and 5 star hotels, and I have NEVER had a bad experience, until now.

Upon arrival to the hotel, we waited in a fairly short (about 10 couples) line for our room. Though the line was short, it took us about 45 minutes to reach the counter. We were given our room keys/cards and a lock for the safe (which we needed to ask for) and were shown on a map where our room was. Block 4. AVOID! The thermostat in the room read 34 degrees Celsius and the air conditioner was off. We soon discovered that it was off because it did not work. The room was very dated, dark and musty. The bed looked like it was on the verge of breaking and sagged in the middle. There were no towels in our room, so we asked the housekeeper, who happened to be working on our floor, if she could give us some. We also asked for beach towels, as we were not given towel cards or told where we would get these. We found out afterwards that cards should have been given to us at check-in.

The heat, humidity and smell in the room were so bad that I walked down to the lobby to ask for another room. I was surprised to see two other couples from our plane at the counter with the same request. Long story short, I decided to pay $350 US to upgrade to a renovated, oceanfront suite in block 3. I did not want to take my chances with another room in block 4, considering other guests had similar issues with their rooms in that building.

A gentleman met me at the room and asked if I was okay with it. It looked nice, so I said “okay” and gave the front desk my money. After we moved our stuff to our new room (3048), we realized that the air conditioner in our “upgraded” room did not work either. Also, the sliding doors did not lock, the fridge was warm, there was no hot water, there were no towels, the TV did not work, and our toilet did not flush. I called down to the front desk twice, but nobody came. Finally, at around 10:30pm, I walked down to the front desk to ask for assistance. The young man at the front counter simply shrugged his shoulders and said, “Lady, you looked at the room before you signed.” What? Are you kidding me? Who checks whether the toilet flushes, doors lock, AC works, hot water works, etc. when they look at a room? He then said to come back in the morning and somebody would help me.

So, I returned to the desk at 7:00am the next morning and was asked to come back at 9:30am. I returned at 9:30am and a different gentleman at the desk did not help me until around 10:00am. Again, long story short, I asked to be moved to a new room. We were moved down the hall to 3045. Again, the AC did not work, there was no hot water, the fridge was warm, and now the deadbolt on the front door did not lock (but we eventually got it to lock with effort). We were promised that the AC would be fixed that day. Well, that did not happen. We did not have AC all week. It was brutal! Also, I had one semi-warm shower all week – the rest were freezing cold. I suppose this balanced off the lack of AC – ha! At night, we had to sleep with the sliders wide open in order to get some of the ocean breeze into our room. Definitely not safe, but it was ridiculously hot and humid in the room – we wouldn’t have been able to sleep otherwise.

By the time day 5 of our vacation came around, we were ready to go home. Usually, I never want to leave! We met with the Sunwing rep who said it would cost us $400+ per person to catch an earlier flight. We told her about our room and she walked with us to the front desk (after we waited another hour for her to help us). We are not sure what was said – the Sunwing rep and the gentleman at the front desk spoke only in Spanish. She turned to us and said, “He can help you – I am going back.” The man wanted to move us to yet another room. What? And, no! I said that I wanted my upgrade cost returned ($350 US) and he made it very clear that it would not be returned under any circumstance. I asked to speak to the manager (which I have never done before). He said, “Sure,” and went into a room behind the front counter. After about half an hour of waiting for him to return, I had had enough and made the decision to just leave the desk and go get some breakfast. I knew this was going nowhere, and did not have the energy to deal with anything else.

I realize the room is only one part of a vacation experience. Here are some other things about the resort that you should be aware of:

1.The food is horrible. There was no variety at the buffet – the same things were served day after day. It also seemed that dinner included leftovers from lunch, and vice-versa. The food was always cold and had a funny taste. The food is also not labelled, or mislabelled. Not good for someone with dietary restrictions. On our last morning, I took a scoop of beans at breakfast and found a large chunk of watermelon in the container. The previous day at the beach restaurant, I scooped up an uncooked shrimp that was hiding in the shaved red cabbage. Yuck. Also, keep in mind that the resort does have a la cartes, but they are not open every day. We ate at the Mexican once, and it was the best meal we had all week.

2.The beach is pretty. You cannot go wrong with a Punta Cana beach! However, there was quite a bit of seaweed in the water, though workers raked the shoreline once a day to collect anything that washed up on shore. Other areas of the beach were not raked. The beach looked like a large ashtray. People threw their cigarette buts all over the place. Also, people reserved the lawn chairs under the palapas the night before. Clearly, nobody cleaned or organized the beach at the end of the day. Part of the beach is blocked off for people in the “elite club.” Not sure what this is, but you cannot use the orange chairs or the cabana-like beds (even though they were usually unoccupied).

3.The cooling systems for the drink machines were not working at the main bar; therefore, the bartenders had to add ice cubes to these normally slushy drinks. Also, you had to pay for all drinks at the lobby bar, disco and casino – these were not part of the all-inclusive package. There may be other areas as well, but we did not venture out to all areas of the resort.

4.The staff always appeared bored and unenthused. Many times we saw them just sitting around playing on their phones. I have never seen such a boring entertainment staff! Normally, you get to know the staff by name – we did not know one person! The entertainment staff were rarely smiling, and seemed to do little to get to know the guests (aside from a few pre-teen, drunk cuties). We were harassed daily by the VIP/time share people, as well as people on the beach trying to sell catamaran, banana boat and parasailing packages. One person who was especially kind and helpful was our housekeeper, Cristina. She was very hard-working, and we were happy to leave her lots of tips.

5.The fitness centre is very dated, and was not well-air conditioned. It is located right off the main street beside the disco. There was not a staff person on site, and there were no towels.

I felt compelled to share our experiences and to warn other travellers about this resort. We booked this resort for a very low price, but have learned that you definitely get what you pay for. I think it all boils down to poor management. The employees are likely overworked, as well as tired from having to listen to guest complaints (I am sure there are many at this resort – there were always guests at the desk). I still love the Dominican Republic, and will definitely return in the future, but NEVER, NEVER, NEVER to this resort, or any other Be Live resort in the Caribbean (or elsewhere). Be Live Punta Cana is listed as a 4 star resort, but I assure you, it does not meet the standards of any other 4 star I have stayed at in the Dominican Republic.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank dbean
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2013

we decided to book last minute... and did just that.. booked Thursday and flew out Sunday with 4 kids and 2 adults. We did a brief search and found that this resort had some great things said about the hotel and staff, the food & entertainment! I want to give a HUGE THANK YOU to Esther Pujols (VIP Lounge) who went out of her way many times for us when she didnt have to!! Wilson Lopez .. what a great young man who we got to learn about and Orlando (front desk mgr) .. very helpfull if we needed something. Cristina who cleaned our 2 rooms 3101& 3302 wonderfully .. (god help her she cleaned our room with 3 teenage boys!!) .. Nicolas .. Fernando and of course David in VIP who Sean became fast friends with as well as a few more great people!! I have been to DR a couple of times and yes you will meet some people who you want to stay friends with forever! we will with these guys via facebook! .. the only thing i can say negatively about this resort is the lack of english speaking servers.. now i try in every sense of the word to speak spanish but not very well ...but i try.. some of the servers in the restaurants cant speak nothing more than "hello" .. and when you are ordering something cooked .. like a steak.. very well done and it comes out still red..its hard to communicate.. the food is hit or miss. you definately wont starve.. its just simple seasonings that could be making it a great eating experience!!
The beach was great..the vendors walk by and a simple "no" lets them know not to ask ask again.. the main pool is awesome.. we never really ventured to the others .. we always got the huts closest to the towel hut.. the entertainers were amazing playing games.. but the shows at the theater left something to be desired.. we had more fun just hanging at the main common area where they taught salsa dancing and it was just more social!!
the guy selling the segway tours ..if you can do this .. you should! its great fun and you get to swim in a natural lagoon!! Kids had a great time .. as well if you want something differnent than para-sailing .. do the Scuba-doo . that was pretty neat! ..if you have a chance to get some photos done.. you should .. we had a session done ..you just pay for what you want.. and get some great memories!
overall .. I would definitely go back ..

Room Tip: we arrived around 1030 pm so when we got our room it was a little bit of a walk to the block we had...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank suebeck66
Dear Suebeck66,

On behalf of our staff and myself, thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Be Live Grand Punta Cana.

We feel very happy to know we met and exceeded your expectations, and that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.

We will make sure to share your comments with all our staff members, especially with the ones that made you stay more enjoyable.

Regards,

Rooms Divisions manager
Be Live grand Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here from April 11-18, 2013. We are in our mid-twenties. This is the first time either of us have been to the Dominican Republic, and we had an amazing time! We flew with Air Transat and went with NoliTours - the Plus package.

I am extremely picky with regards to cleanliness, and the resort and grounds were very clean and maintained constantly by the staff. The only complaint I have is that it took about 3 hours to check-in. We landed in the airport at 10am, got to the resort at 12pm, but had to wait until 3:30pm to have a room. By 6:30pm, we were exhausted. Next time we'll schedule our time better so that we arrive after 3:00, which is check-in time. We'd also just be ready to swim as soon as we get there, so we have something to do while we wait.

The good points:
- The beach is soo beautiful, white sand, blue skies, lovely weather. It was 27-37 degrees during the time we were there. Nice and hot without being humid!
- The staff are very friendly and good natured, and most speak English, French, and Russian!
- The rooms were modern (we were on the Bavaro side in block 15) and cleaned daily. We left a $1 tip on the bed every day when we left the room.
- A small tip goes a long way! We brought $100 in $1 bills and that kept us fine for 7 nights. They'll take good care of you if you treat them well back.
-Bottle of rum, snacks, coupons in our room when we arrived
-The Gourmet and Japanese restaurants were delicious! You need to reserve at least 2 days in advance
-The resort is just the right size, so walking between food, rooms and beach is not far at all
-There are food and drinks available 24/7
-The excursions were very fun and the guides are amazing! (Only book through your tour operator)
-Tourists were from all over the world, a lot of French, Russians and Canadians
-The Dominican people are hotties!! Ha ha. Nice to look at...
-Safe in the room is only $3 a day. We kept whatever we couldn't fit in the safe locked in our suitcases while we were out of the room. We didn't have any issues with stealing.
-So many bars and pools everywhere, you can just choose to plop yourself down anywhere and chill.

What some people would consider The bad points (and why they didn't matter to us):
-Most of the food is not that good - Bring stomach meds, gravol, etc. if you have a sensitive stomach. You cannot drink the water. (we expected this from an all-inclusive)
-In particular, the Sport Bar (they call it the American restaurant) was crazy bad food - the worst I have ever eaten in any restaurant anywhere! (There are many other options for restaurants and buffet, so no need to go to the Sport Bar. Stay away!)
-We asked for a King Bed at check-in, but we got two doubles instead. (We just went back to the front desk and asked for a trade and we got a new room right away)
-Block 15 borders the edge of the resort and overlooks local pub, apartments, etc. so it was very noisy day and night (we weren't in the room much anyways, and the noise didn't bother us)
-Mostly older guests and couples, a few kids here and there, but a much quieter crowd of people, if you're looking for a party party resort, not this one. (This is exactly what we wanted, so it was perfect!)
-You are consistently approached by vendors selling excursions or time shares (we just told them 'No, Thank you' and they leave you alone)
-Not every staff person speaks English (my boyfriend knows a little Spanish, so we were fine)
-Wifi is very expensive and slow. TV has about 3 English channels. (We never needed to be online, so we didn't pay for wifi, and we never saw the need to watch TV, so also fine with us!)
-With our package, we were supposed to have our mini bar refilled every day (4 cans of local beer). The first day they refilled it, but after that, they would only bring 1 or 2. We mentioned this to Guest Services the first few days, but afterwards we just gave up. (All the bars are free, so doesn't really matter, as you can just go down to one of the many bars and get a free drink.)
-Almost everything takes 1/2 hour longer than they say it will (we came here on vacation anyway and were not in any big rush, so not a problem!)
-Nightly entertainment is sub-par at best (didn't care at all, we had drinks, pools, friends and each other, didn't need much else!)

We didn't go to the on-site club "Moon Disco", but we heard it was a bit tacky and full of local men looking to score. It is open to the public on the other side. We also didn't really walk around outside the resort, local markets, etc. but we heard they were above board and cheap.

All in all, we had an awesome vacation, and would definitely go back and recommend this resort to others!

Room Tip: Room Blocks 12-15 are new and modern, with marble and glass bathrooms. Away from the central rooms...
4 Thank Ella C
Homestead, Florida, United States
Reviewed April 27, 2013

my husband and I were very happy with the service, the place itself will charm you with its beauty. nonetheless there was one particular person at the hotel; Jose Nicolas, was there to assist us whenever we needed help with direction and different types of services that are provided for vip's. upon arrival we were hungry Jose Nicolas made sure that we had something to eat right away.the food was good and the workers are impeccable. we had a wonderful time and we plan to go back!

Dear Fabienne J,

First of all, thank for your review regarding your stay at be live Grand Punta Cana. It is always good to receive feedback from our guests.

We will make sure to share your review with all our staff members, especially with the ones you have been kind enough to mention by name.

We look forward to your next visit, so we can give you another unforgettable Be Live Experience.

Regards,

Rooms Division Manager
Be Live Grand Punta Cana
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My first time to Punta Cana .After being shown 3 different rooms finally found a nice one ground fl. beach front. Very Nice. The Pools were clean, Water arobics was done by To Tee he was Great ! Helpful,Polite.! The Bartenders at The Beach Bar Were A 10. Frank G. Pedro. Very Friendly,Helpful. Knew what you wanted. always smiling,! They work real hard to please the people and made you feel comfortable . I would only recommend the Buffet to eat, not the al a cartes, my girlfriend got sick from the Mexican Restaurant, People were getting there meals at the Italian and getting up and walking out.. But The staff were all very nice,Darlin Carolina was very helpful and Atenttive. there was lots of Activities during the day and night and a lot of fun, They really include the people. The Grounds was Beautiful and well kept. and not to far to walk to the beach. The Water was Warm, Clean, Blue, Beautiful !! I will miss the people and friends I made there. Benjamen at the Activities Desk was A real big help and looked after me. Great People all around I would Definetly go back next year.

Room Tip: 4129 beach front very nice not to noicey. the 3rd floors no elevator. Facing the main pool and activ...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank 334jojo
Owen Sound, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We chose to upgrade to a Master Suite for our week away. For a bit extra money the experience we had at this resort was beyond our expectations. We were greeted upon arrival by our concierge, Nicolas. (Jose Tema Nicolas) and from the get-go the service he gave us was extraordinary. A private tour of the resort including all dining areas and information, detailed information about times of operation and all of the other areas and services available to us including the private pool, bar, VIP lounge, premium lobby bar, private beach area and even where to get our towels. He checked with us every day and went an extra mile to ensure that we wouldn't be needing anything while he had a few scheduled days off during our visit. He arranged all of our dinner reservations. We tried a different a la carte restaurant every night and did pay extra for a fresh seafood platter on our last night which was well worth the price of $59 each. Our suite was immaculate - we found the resort extremely clean compared to other Caribbean vacations. We enjoyed seeing a team of staff taking great pride in their work.

4 Thank 746AlexY
#86 of 112 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana
Now Garden Punta Cana

Been to Be Live Collection Punta Cana? Share your experiences!