“Be Live a Grand Experience !!!”

Be Live Collection Punta Cana
Ranked #66 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Peoria, Illinois
“Be Live a Grand Experience !!!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Me, my wife, my brother-in-law and his wife stayed at the Be Live Grand in Punta Cana for the first time last week. We had a wonderful time. My brother-in-law stated that its the "best vacation" he has ever had. I feel the same. The staff here is friendly, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. I'm not able to say who impressed me the most, but a few people I would like to commend are: Esther Pujols, Danny German, Fernando Heredia, Mahaiva Medina, Laura in VIP Customer service, Rossi in VIP reception, David Pauou, Desiret Bahista,Nicolas,Lyma and Santioga at the VIP Beach Bar. I highly recommend visiting this resort. You will be impressed. Incidently, we thoroughly enjoyed the food, drinks and atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Roland W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,323)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 17, 2013

First of all let's get one thing straight with Be Live Grand Punta Cana: this is not an ideal resort for families with young children.

Be Live is great for
- Solo or couples nightlife
- Food - especially Mexican and Brazilian restaurant
- Weather - seven solid days of sun
- Distance to airport - 20 minutes by taxi
- Price if you book from a US website

Be Live is not so great for
- Children since there activities were limited and not well supervised
- Beach and sea life - there is none due to heavy boat traffic
- All inclusive activities - there are none - you have to pay for everything extra
- Hotel rooms - do not stay in 9-10-11-12 buildings with kids - 2 or 3 are the best
- Resort location - not safe, no authentic local shopping and heavy traffic outside

Here is the story in a nutshell:

We travelled with two children (5 and 7) who are used to 5 star hotel service in the US to back country hiking in Peru. We booked everything online with an American discount travel company and the price was awesome compared to past trips from Canada to Cuba in the winter.

Getting from the airport to the hotel is cheaper by taxi than hotel bus if you have none. You can pay your entire trip in US dollars. We did not use local currency once and Canadian dollars do not work. Get your money before you arrive.

Hotel reception was fast at 11pm and we got our first customer service issue. The hotel had not booked two rooms with our travel companions close to each other. We were at opposite ends and there was no way they could change that at midnight. With two tired kids I did not make a fuzz and moved to room in block 10 and our friends to block 1. Big mistake.

Next day after no sleep due to disco music and a noisy air conditioning system that was obviously broken I asked the receptionist to "downgrade" us to block 2 where rooms were bigger, brighter and most of all closer to the beach, pool and restaurants. Room 2022 was perfect all week long. Had to use my kids sand bucket to help the toilet work, but this is common in the Caribbean.

Pool was perfect for kids. Beach so and so since you were limited to 25 meters due to heavy boat traffic ALL day. My daughter and I tried to feed fishes all week and met one little yellow lost fellow. Compared to our past 4 trips to Cuba this was by far the worst beach ever.

What made this trip not worth our time and money were the Russians young couples who have no manners what so ever and the hotel staff charging you every single extra item. No offence to those who are from Russia and Dominican Republic who have had some kind of education, but in Cuba you do not have to deal with this hassle. Hotel staff are certified and professional. Locals are educated and polite. Even if you don't speak one word Spanish you can trust that you will be in good hands in any corner of Cuba.

So we decided to forget about Dominican Republic. It was sunny, food was great and the trip inexpensive. However the customer experience was the worst one of our 5 All Inclusive trips to date. We may even forget about those too and rent a cottage instead next time. Too expensive to entertain kids when the economy is bad, because hotels charge an arm and a leg for everything.

Last thing - if you have a medical issue forget the doctor onsite who is never there and charges US 125 for a prescription. My wife went to the local pharmacy and got the medication for $20 with all the advice needed. If you don't speak Spanish don't even go there or find a translator.

Room Tip: Block 2 and 3 are close to everything and no noise
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Slangbella
Vienna, Virginia, United States
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We loved our vacation at Be Live and would return without hesitation. Highly recommend staying in Bloque 7, VIP section. Upgrade is worth it; service is excellent. David Panou was always there when we had a question with a smile on his face. The lounge always had food and Esther was most helpful with restaurant reservations, internet service, etc. Maria always left our room spotless. Santiago at VIP bar at beach served us drinks with great enthusiasm and a happy face.

Room Tip: The resort had an excellent environment. The Dominican people were so welcoming, everyone I'd p...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Michele E
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This place is not worth whatever deal you get, trust me. I got a great deal through Groupon and thought it couldn't be that bad...well it was. The place is FILLED with Russians, who are beyond rude. The rooms were dated and need lots of repair. The food was okay at best. Pool was chilly, it and needs an update as well. The restaurant and bar staff were great, the front desk...not so much. If you go to Punta Cana, pay the extra to stay at a 5 star resort and the experience will be worth it. Will not be back to this dump.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Julz2381
Toronto Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Two family trip to Be Live, first time there. Overall it's a nice resort but its a little dated. Renovations are underway within the resort. We stayed in building 4 with an ocean view, however were right beside the beach restaurant and were up most of the night listening to glasses clinking and staff talking while they cleaned. We upgraded to a new modern room in building 3 which was nice.
The food at buffet is pretty good. The a la carte restaurants: Brazillian, Japanese and Gourment were all good. The italian was not and would recommend skipping it.
Bars were pretty good, however many of the drinks i wanted I couldn't get. Mojitos were not made properly and so I stuck to the drinks the bartendars knew how to make which wasn't so bad.
Pool was great and we got up early (7am) to ensure we saved seats in the shade every morning and never had a problem. Beach is beautiful and clean
Activity staff were great, especially Frank and Fi Fi, very entertaining. Shows at night were great, we were very impressed with every show we saw, well done.
Maid service wasn't ideal. Our room had ants and we couldn't seem to get rid of them, the last day it got to be a problem. Our made usually showed up after 6pm which was the time we got back from being out all day and we didn't want to inconvenience ourselves by having to leave so just asked for clean towels. Bar was replenshed and when we did have room cleaned it was done well.
We took an excursion to Canopy Zip Line and had an amazing time, would recommned that for any ages.
Overall a good time, no one got sick out of 8 of us and our kids loved everything from activities to the flamingos and donkey. Lots for kids to do.
One annoying factor was the men on the resort trying to sell you time shares, very intrusive even after saying not interested, hated walking to buffet when I saw them.
Lastly the most irritating part of our week was the amount of rude Russians staying at resort. They were loud, rude and didn't care who they were annoying...the place was overrun (60% or more were Russian). Never experienced that before and it's a turn off.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank PaulyWally2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just back from 6 nights (3/6-3/12) vacation at Be Live. Have to say that after we booked and read the reviews I was a bit worried. The resort is much better than expected- it was lovely. To start- we upgraded on arrival to the VIP. I would suggest upgrading and negotiating the price down, when you are VIP you have a private beach, bar and a VIP lounge that has a bar, TV and computers (you also get free internet for your lap top), they also serve a breakfast and snakes. There is also a nice lounge bar near the reception area for VIPs. Very nice vibe and Danni the bartender was great- very friendly. They have top shelf but there is a little up charge for some drinks but VERY reasonable. We had an ocean view and a nice walk in shower and jetted bath tub, porch and large suite.

There grounds and rooms were very clean. Some others complained about the beaches and seaweed. I have to say there was seaweed but this is a beach it happens the grounds crew would clean this up at least three times a day. It is not like seaweed is piling up, it happens it is called a beach. The beach was not huge and it was pretty windy during our stay but still warm. I did not smell any thing from the sprinkler systems as some others have written in reviews. The resort had a ton of folks always cleaning, gardening and doing ground work- well maintained.

This is not the Four Seasons/ Ritz- so the rating of a 5 star is not accurate. I would say this is a 3 star- maybe some would say a 3.5 because they do have tennis and an on site spa. But the price point for an All Inclusive is very low compared to some resorts so when booking. That said everyone was friendly, helpful and worked hard to make the vacation a memorable one. We did not go to the casino or nite club but we did the bike tour. The bike tour was a nice trip off the property. Granted the bikes could be in better condition but it was fun.

I also took advantage of the spa and that was wonderful. I would absolutely recommend going and getting the combo massage, Lucia did a great job. I had 3 massages while on vacation. .

As for the food. It was fine. There was something for everyone and the fresh fruit platters were nicely displayed and tasty. I think the resort did a great job and have lots of options. Again this resort houses lots of people and the service was maybe a tad slow but I am on vacation not much of a hurry- so not an issue for me.

The last comment I do want to say is that there were lots of Russians and this seems to bother a lot of reviewers. All I can say is I am traveling to another country and many other cultures will be vacationing with me. There is a big world out there seems like some reviews have never traveled out of the US and met folks of a different culture.

Room Tip: We upgraded to VIP block 7 and were very happy
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank AmyM787
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed at Be Live from Feb26-Mar5th/13 well, what to say, grounds were beautiful, weather was amazing! Now the rest, started off by having very rude Russians pushing their way in front of us when checking in, which I must say was very slow, took over an hour. Then our deluxe ocean view room in building 11 over looked a rural road, did see the ocean but also saw & heard dogs barking all day & all night long, had to ask to be moved, no problem, went to building 9, much better! I had read about the stench of sprinkler system but thought can't be that bad, well it was, did smell like over flowing toilets! Room was very clean & good size, although for the price & knowing we were three people, they could have given us 2 beds, instead we had a king & my daughter had to sleep on a couch. As for the vendors on the resort & beach, they are beyond annoying, very persistent, you eventually almost have to be rude. Don't get sucked in by the guys who wear a shirt saying "tell it to you friends" unless you want a time share, my daughter kept saying "they just got sucked in" they take you up the stairs in the reception area, offer you a DECENT glass of wine & tell you it's not time share, but is! So stay clear if your not interested! Food wasn't great, still having stomach problems, we all had some sort of stomach illness. One must do, is the full day safari, try to get a tour guide named Kenny, he was a blast & very informative, we had a great day! Enough pools for kids to be busy, one day my daughter tried every one of them, think we found 8! So for a first time visit to the Dominican, I would have to say personally, we prefer Cuba, people are friendlier, beaches nicer, food better.

Room Tip: Don't book ocean view room in buildings 11 or higher, you are overlooking a rural street, very n...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 111 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana

Been to Be Live Collection Punta Cana? Share your experiences!