“VACATION FROM HELL...”

Ranked #55 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Wow, where do i begin.
I am not going to tell you that everyone at this hotel did not meet good expectation some did and some did not. The properly yes look nice but as they say do not let look fool you. we arrive from Sunday May 18 to Thursday May 22. I would describe my vacation from hell as not a good one... because once something goes wrong everything will turn out bad to worse. In this case we left 600 dollars in our safe secure and once we return the money disappear. I do not understand how my money dissappear and my safe key was left in a well hidden spot in my luggae inside clothes, shoes,etc due to a lot of rain that day. So if you are reading this yes there staff goes through your personal belonging.... unbelievable... It gets better. Once we did a full report with security it was taken to the Director of the Property which his name is Ruben [--].
Mr. [--] did not handle the situation as a profession individual or as an individual with that title. It is sad to work hard and plan a vacation all year around and everything you work hard for it is taken from you. Instead of us being the victim Mr Ruben and his staff made it seem as if they where the victim. The outcome was to give us 3 days certificate to return as a priviledge member due to the investigation being continued. Mr.Ruben with all due respect why would i want to return to your property if nothing was done and the investigation continues. which in DR mean is close. As a native from here i know how thing work... But Mr Ruben if you are reading, do use a favor and do not entertain this type of action from your workers....Mr. Ruben as you could see I am an Educated man myself as you told me i was because i had no common sense . great way to speak to your guest...
Moving forward the food I would rate 2 out of 5 is not as good as other review where given.
Even though that incident occur I will not criticized their entire staff. I enjoying my time after that incident at the pool most of my time there I was given great and outstanding Service from a gentlemen call Juan he made our vacation mood change. If i was management and i was reading this I would move this gentlemen from a bar tender at your pool to a hire position because this individual lives up to the standard to represent your company.
Also another individual name Patrick that work for Guest Relation made our vacation great due to always changing our mood due to the frustration of our money being taken. Another individual you should consider management. Mr Ruben this two guys make you look like a super star and other staff like fabian from the steak house great service.... if your are reading....
Room service as you can tell horrible -THIEF on the run. But rooms are not well maintain crack, spiders web, and hair in the tub everytime they clean. And please take this into consideration I am a Maintanance Engineer for hotel please talk to your director of Engineer caulking and silicone is not the solution to fix everything Attention to details PLEASE...
Show entertain could better i would rate 3 out of five.
The service in the mirachi restaurant which is the mexican restaurant horrible you order and your food take 35 min to come out we ended up not even waiting for it.
Breakfast was okay no complaint.
Food they need more selection not that much if you travel like we do it was not that much of a selection.
Pool Bar and the beach staff and drink by the pool was the only thing that was excellent... thank you again for making our stay welcoming Pool bar tenders team especially Juan ...So if you stay there look for Juan he make good drink good soul good person...
One thing i could say go eat at the steak house and italian place but that if you decide to stay there. PS BRING A MASTER LOCK, Mr Ruben will pay for the shipment send the master lock ahead of time....
Unfortunately, this property is not as great as we though it would be due to the reviews. I will also be reaching out to Corporate because I feel that the lace of service as someone like myself who works for hotel is unacceptable and inappropriate. As for the Management team you should be embarrassed and i feel that this individuals are not suitable for there position..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

4  Thank Alberto A
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2014

Dear Birdie150:

We would like to thank you for posting your review about your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro.

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidents that you experienced during your stay with us. We continually do our best effort for all of our guests.

We are sorry to hear that some other aspect of our hotel failed to exceed your expectations. We can guarantee you that; we are going to take your constructive comments into consideration for ways of improving.

We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

CATALONIA BÁVARO Beach, Golf & Casino Resort *****

Write a ReviewReviews (10,945)

Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

First and foremost, Punta Cana is amazinglyyyyy beautiful!!!!!! On top of that, the resort is breathtaking. Catalonia will definitely spoil you. From the food, to the employees, and fellow guests. Positive and fun vibes are all there is!!! You are constantly greeted by the entire resort staff. The food ranges from good to amazing. The steakhouse is definitely #1. The italian restaurant is good as well and beautiful!! The beach is incredible!! They offer numerous free kayak rides, golfing, tennis, paddling, etc in addition to the excursion you can sign-up & pay for. My friends and I did ATV/DuneBuggies as well as Zip lining in the rainforest. Both were awesome!!!!! Not to mention, there's a few pools and one main one with a bar attached. Insane!! I stayed 8 days and loved every second. The staff are amazing and that makes it all the better. Key people: Domingo from the lobby area, Jenny from guest services, Ezikiel and Ana from the entertainers,Gerlin and Melicildes from the main/lobby bar and Rosa(I think that was her name) from the Gran Caribe. She is a hostess who makes a difference.She truly cared. Each of these people made a difference in my stay and I enjoyed it that much better!! I cant remember all the people but just know this resort and it's employees will not disappoint!

It is about 20minutes away from the airport and farther away from local towns but so worth it. You don't really even need to leave the resort to enjoy. The bar is alwaysssss ready to make exactly what you want and keep them coming! Rooms are clean and fresh. Always stocked with water and soda and beer. I really have nothing negative to say.

Just go there and experience for yourself!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Amara U

Dear Amara U:

Thank you for taking your time to review our beautiful hotel.

It is good to know that you enjoyed our restaurants, our food and the service received from our staff, especially by: Domingo, Ezequiel, Ana, Gerlin, Melquiades and Rosa. Also I am really happy to read that our resort is breathtaking for you!

Thank you for recommending us!

We are looking forward to seeing you soon!! Right now is 84F in Punta Cana, is sunny and gorgeous outside! Another reason for you to come back!

Have a great day!

Reviewed May 22, 2014

I was at this resort in October and was going back but for some reason we went to Puerto Plata at short notice (was very cheap to go and last minute). What a terrible mistake, its was terrible in Puerto Plata compared to this resort and beach. Absolutely no comparison. The Catalonia Bavaro beach resort is just fantastic compared to the resorts in Puerto Plata. The beach was out of this world and no beach vendors to drive you mad. Beautiful crystal clear waters and fine white sand. The resort was clean and our room was just perfect. The staff were just fantastic to me and my partner and we are fussy and not a single complaint from us. The food buffet had a wealth of choice and we tried all the al a carte restaurants which were fine although we were more in favour of the sushi and the steak house. Can not recommend this place enough (believe me i have stayed at top hotels in Carbo and Kenya etc and this is on serious par and a lot lot cheaper) I know its horses for courses and we are all different but dont take this the wrong way if you are British and say in your 20s to 70s I think you can chalk this place down for a visit. I meet at least a dozen people I am still in contact with while we holidayed there who have also been to other resorts in the Dominican Republic who also have said they should have gone back. We have just come back from the VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort in Puerto Plata and a serious mistake going there although so so many people rated it and I meet again plenty of people who go back there. I asked them have they been to Punta Cana where the sea is crystal clear and the beaches hassle free and they said no!!!! You see we are all different. I will without a doubt be returning,and if you are going we went in October. Fantastic people. Spoil yourself and go privileged. See You again from a fussy traveller with no complaints from me :).

Room Tip: We was down at the beach end and and had a corner suite on the first floor. Very quiet and large wit...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Johnnie D
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Dear Johnnie F:

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us at the Catalonia Bávaro. Thank you also for recommending our hotel to other travelers.

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed the facilities, our turquoise water, our friendly staff and gastronomic offer.

We are glad to know that your expectations were achieved which is our main goal. Our staff works to make Catalonia Bávaro, the best place for your vacation.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future,

Warmest Regards.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

I was there for a week in the beginning of May 2014.

The good things:
Close to the airport and fast transport to the hotel. (15 min)
Very nice environment around the hotel - palms, trees, grass, flowers, lakes and animals.
The beach is lovely and the sea is perfectly safe.

The bad things:
Rooms are disgusting IMHO. Ours was dirty, old, smelled bad and in general I would not give it more than 2-3 stars.
The AC works in a funny way - its either on (and makes the whole room cold) or off.
Towels and in general all the equipment in the rooms is very old.
The food in the restaurants is OK but I can not say I have enjoyed anything. (The omelet for breakfast is good).
Very often you get dirty glasses or cutlery. I got 3 glasses of water (in a row) from the water machine in the lobby and 3 times there was stuff swimming in the water.
Most of the staff doesnt really speak English - mostly Spanish is used.
Never seen a hotel before, where you can not dial the reception from your room.
A-la cart restaurants were ok, but you have to wait to be seated and than wait to get food.

tip for the trip to Dominicana: try Mama Juana (local drink) and go diving.

Room Tip: no 5 stars hotel rooms are old beach is good
3  Thank Redalexbg
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Dear Redalexbg

Thank you for your valuable time in posting your review on Trip Advisor. We hope you had pleasant return back home from your holidays.

Please know we are very sorry in regards of the inconveniences presented and apologize for the discontent. We will like you to know that we have high hygiene standards and our quality department ensures these standards are met.

We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future, and give you the treat you deserve.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed May 20, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at Catalonia Punta Cana and I would definitely stay here again. We have stayed at quite a few all inclusives in Cozumel, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and Jamaica and are not easy to please, but Catalonia made us happy. The lobby is large and has a large bar area that is next to an open air theater that has something fun going on every night. The buffet restaurants are decent. We stayed in a privileged room right on the beach and the beach is wonderful and surrounded by a tropical palm forest. The steakhouse has an awesome ribeye!! The staff are generally friendly but not great. The pool is ok but lounges are not very comfortable and the swim up bar is too small. But overall the resort feels "authentic" and the grounds are beautiful.

Room Tip: Priveledged rooms walk out to the beach but the downside to that is it's about 150 yards walk to...
3  Thank Donald R

Dear Donald R:

Thank you for sharing with us your comments about your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro.

We are happy that you liked the hotel and enjoyed the rest of the resort facilities such as the rooms, the beach and our Steakhouse.

We hope we can have the pleasure to welcome you back at Catalonia Bávaro.

Best Regards.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stayed at the Catalonia on May 9-16. Room was comfortable & very clean. Loved the clear water of the beach & were able to get beach chairs everyday without getting up at 6 am. Entertainment was fun. Really enjoyed the lobby bar (Thanks Alfonso & Candy). Disco was fun too. Lots of walking & would not suggest Punta Cana if you cannot walk because getting on/off airplane could be a problem. Buy your tourist card on line, we went through customs in a matter of minutes. We thank the staff for a good time.

2  Thank cath102

Dear Cath102:

Thank you so much for your comments. They are very much appreciated and I was glad to read you enjoyed our beach, our disco and the service from our staff, especially from Alfonso and Candy.

We look forward to taking care of you once again very soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed May 20, 2014

We recently stayed at the Catalonia Bavaro Golf and Casino Resort in Dominican Republic May 8th - May 13th 2014. I have to say, we had a wonderful time. The beach and water is beautiful and the people are very Friendly and kind. I would highly recommend the Marinarium excursion. You board a Catamaran and snorkel with the sea rays and nurse sharks and then have a little party in shallow waters of the Atlantic. Gilbert was our host on the excursion and he was excellent! He really got the crowd involved. We had a blast! Lots of dancing and drinking… The coastline of Punta Cana is a must see, very beautiful and the water is an amazing color. Would like to try the 4wheeler excursion next time… I guess you visit a lagoon and a private beach and from what some people said that we spoke to, they said it was a blast!
Ok, back to the Resort; the grounds are absolutely beautiful, very lush and well maintained. The only issue is you are constantly hounded by the people that try to have you sign up for hotel discounts, which is $99.00 per year for dues. We were not very impresses by their constant pestering. Other than that, the people and staff are wonderful… Also, I would suggest that you try to book a preferred guest room, we made the mistake of booking the junior suite and the noise from the disco kept us up every night, if you get into one of the preferred rooms, you are closer to the beach. The buffet is your typical average buffet, nothing fancy… Don’t expect to see any sea food on the menu… The Mexican restaurant is by far the best place to eat… The food was excellent there and the service was very fast…. The steak house was so, so, but the service was really slow… All in all, we had a wonderful time and would definitely come back again…. After seeing all the other resorts along the coastline, I think Catalonia Bavaro is probably the largest of them all as far as we could tell… I’m very glad with picked this resort over any of the others….It was truly a wonderful experience!! There are many other islands to explore, but for the cost, the Dominican seems to be the best value for your money, you can’t go wrong with this Island…

Room Tip: choose a Privileged room if you are able.. You are much closer to the beach and you do not hear the...
1  Thank CollyB01

Dear CollyB01:

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post a review following your recent vacation at Catalonia Bávaro. We are delighted that you enjoyed the beach, the grounds, the service and the Mexican restaurant.

Also, thank you for recommending our upgrade to our Privileged package.

Thank you once again for recommending our property on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back.