“Great budget/bargain all inclusive”

Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
Ranked #56 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great budget/bargain all inclusive”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. The beach was beautiful. The grounds were well kept. The staff was friendly and helpful. The wifi in rooms was spotty but I could almost always get wifi on the beach. The food was pretty terrible, but I'm pretty particular and a bit of a foodie. The Hibachi place was the best but we didn't get to eat Italian so I don't know. The rooms were nice by international standards, meaning it's no Hilton Garden Inn but I was impressed, having traveled a good deal internationally. If I were to go back, I would pay more for a nicer place but on this trip I was traveling with friends on a budget and this was perfect. I think it met or exceeded my expectations on this budget. Oh and we paid to upgrade upon arrival to the "Royal Bavarro" which was like $100pp but was totally worth it and cheaper than pre-booking the Royal side. Definitely the way to go on that. Better room, more private beach, more services, and more private dining in the buffet. We had no trouble getting a beach chair this way, usually on the first row with a thatched umbrella.

Room Tip: Rooms far away from the lobby and restaurants are closer to the beach but you have to go to both sid...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nutmeggin
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Nutmeggin:

Thank you for your comment about your recent stay with us.

Concerning the food, we understand this issue is very subjective but we still want to apologize for not been able to satisfy you at 100%.

I'm glad to note that you upgraded your stay to our brother hotel Catalonia Royal and that you also enjoyed your stay over there.

We hope to have the pleasure to host you again at Catalonia Bávaro.

CATALONIA BÁVARO Beach, Golf & Casino Resort *****

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (921)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sydney, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Just stayed at this resort April 6 to 13. What an amazing time we had!! We certainly did not want to go back home! The resort itself is stunning. From the beautiful marble lobby to the very well taken care of grounds. The staff are sooooooo friendly and welcoming. Each person we passed, from housekeepers to grounds keepers to maintenance all passed us with a big smile and a cheerful "Hola" Our daytime server in the lobby bar, Mary, was very sweet and even tried to help us learn a little Spanish! All day at the pool Carlos and the rest of the bar staff were always singing and dancing while hustling out everyone's orders. It was just a fun place to be. The beach is breathtaking! It is really something to see. The food was good, the 24 hour snack bar came in handy after a night at the disco! The Japanese restaurant was amazing!!! I highly recommend going to this restaurant for one of your a la carte choices! In the evening after the show, the lobby bar is hopping and Angelo greets everyone with a wink and a smile! The whole staff there was so upbeat, singing and dancing! It was just a great place to hang out! The friendly outgoing attitude of the staff seems to rub off on the guests as well. We met so many wonderful people from all over while hanging out there! Last, but certainly not least the animation team...WOW!! What a great group of talented people! From games and antics at the beach and pool, to the nightly shows (Mr Catalionia was my favorite next to the Michael Jackson) and dancing in the lobby and disco..what a great group! I think they made the trip for us! I would like to mention a few who made us feel welcome and part of their family, Fernando, Ana, Paulito (Ezequiel), Big Mama and Mr Spaghetti (he is an awesome emcee, 4 languages, wow)! It is because of the people I have mentioned that I am sure I will not only recommend this place to everyone, I will return again and again!

Room Tip: Building 23 was very close to the pool, beach and 24 hour snack bar, nice patio and quiet at night f...
2 Thank JermainaB
Dear JermainaB:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro Resort.

We are more than glad that you had a good time in our hotel. We work hard on maintaining an atmosphere for the guest to feel welcomed and like home. Thank you for such a great comment about our fantastic staff; it sounds like you had a fun time interacting with our team and I' m totally sure you did!

Your comments and recommendation are fantastic and we can't wait for another opportunity to provide you with another excellent hotel experience.

Thanks so much!

Edmundston, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2014

The hotel which is rated a 4.5 is not that at all. Just got back from there yesterday from a 8 day stay. Room was VERY humid with a humid smell. Shower is not bigger that 6 by 6. As for the food it is very good. Maria at the buffet is always smiles. The entertainers, Ana, Leonel, Big Mama are great. These people work very hard for what they have, Had beautiful weather. Was in building 25 which is close to all......Lobby, pool and beach. Second floor which is not bad. Air conditioner did not work to it's fullest. Ceiling in bathroom leaked when 3rd floor room above us took shower.

1 Thank Bern R
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Bern R:

Thank you very much for your review and for providing us with further information on you stay.

Please accept my apologies for the problems you encountered with your room, especially with the A.C leaking and the problems with the shower.

Thank you for your great comments about the service that you received from our Animation Team.

I truly hope you give us another chance to welcome you back at Catalonia Bávaro.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Nice vacation to Punta Cana and first time trying an all-inclusive. We are self proclaimed "foodies" so we didn't think the food was really that great. There were 4 restaurants (Mexican, Steak, Japanese, and Italian) and the only one that was actually good was the Mexican. The buffets were OK but the food choices didn't really change throughout the week. The room was nice, nothing special, but nice and comfortable. The Wifi in the room was not the greatest and was spotty at best. The grounds were very nice and well manicured. Some staff was good some were very bad. I would go back to Punta Cana but probably not stay at Catalonia again. For the price it was good though....

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking your time to review Catalonia Bávaro.

We are sorry that you were not impressed with the food at our restaurants; I will pass your comments to the Food and Beverage team to re-look at what we are doing as we are determined to get great comments in this area.

We hope to have the honor to welcome you back!

Kind regards.

Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2014

First off this is a long but honest review.
This review is a couple weeks late as we traveled on March 23-31. We flew out of Halifax with Canjet. Everything was great with our flight and it was on time.
We arrived in Punta Cana at 1055pm. To our surprise there was an actual nice van just for us to take us to the resort. The drive was only about 15 mins.

Check in was great we had asked for 2 rooms in the same building and we were in separate buildings but he changed it right away no questions asked and we ended up in Villa 21. Which was a perfect location...we even had a beautiful view of the pool.

The room was great very spacious. Yes the shower is a bit small but it wasn’t a bother to us at all. Everything about the room was good the air conditioner could have worked a bit better but it kept us cool. The room was stocked with beer pop and water. We left a tip and a note asking for only water and diet pepsi and it was done every day. Also our maid kept the room spotless..I felt that everything was always very clean and I never worried about it.

The resort itself is very beautiful...it is large but I’ve stayed at much larger resorts and I didn’t mind this at all. The grounds are beautiful and there was always people working to keep them beautiful.

My friends and I are all pool people and we spent many hours lounging in the pool and in that area. We did get up at 6am every day to put our towels down so that we could reserve our spot but most days there were spots available you just had to move a couple chairs around. The pool was very big and had an area with jets and seats all around. Also another area with a beautiful fountain shooting out. The pool never seemed to be very packed so that was a bonus. Except for the afternoon around the pool bar that area did get busy...but we aren’t big drinkers so it didn’t matter to us.

The drinks are very good and very strong so you do not have to worry about them watering anything down. The drinks at the lobby bar are of course as to be expected much better. We would sit for hours every night in the lobby bar having some drinks and laughing. It was a great atmosphere.

The buffets were very good and better than we expected. There are two buffets one by the pool and beach which basically has the same type of food everyday which did get a bit boring but we just went to the main buffet every second day. Breakfast at the main buffet was worth it because of the great selection. They have churros being cooked right in front of you fresh and they were delish we went to this buffet every day because of them haha. Also fresh cooked donuts with white or milk chocolate. Yum. Needless to say we did not go hungry and they had a great turkey dinner one night which was one of the best meals I have had at an all-inclusive resort. Also there is a person cooking stir-fry’s in a wok and they were very good worth the wait.
This resort had some of the best meals I’ve had at an all-inclusive so please don’t worry if booking this resort you will not go hungry and there is a lot of variety.

A la cartes were good the Italian and Steakhouse being the best...mexican a lot of the stuff was stale but still not bad. Japanese everyone told us to try it but we went on the last night and it was a 2 hour wait so we left. Every other a la carte we basically were able to walk right in no wait time which was great.

Beach was probably my least favorite...there was a lot of sea weed and I know the resort cannot fix that as they were working very hard to keep up but it was just too much. The beach itself was beautiful and everything was great but as I said I am not a beach person so I can’t tell you too much.
To the right when you’re walking down the beach there is a market...the people are a bit forceful but we told them what we wanted to pay and they would usually agree. We did all our shopping here it was great.

The entertainment people were amazing we had so much fun with them. I want to mention Ezekiel, Big Mama, Fernando, Spaghetti, Leonel, Jonathan, Pluma and Ana. If I am missing anyone I am sorry you were all fantastic. Actually every single person we met at this resort was amazing always a smile and a hola.

The nightly shows were also good with Michael Jackson and the 70's show being some of my favs but I enjoyed them all.

Disco was a good time and we usually ended up there every night to end it with some dancing. The place played good music and there was usually a good crowd of all ages.

Over all we had a wonderful trip and it was everything we wanted it to be. There i nothing bad I can say about this resort. My advice is to go and have fun. We were 4 women aged 33-43.

I would definitely recommend this resort and I actually already have.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Allygirl3
Dear Allygirl3:

Thank you for such a glowing review about your recent stay with us and for recommending Catalonia Bávaro.

We are delighted to confirm that your holidays were successful. We are satisfied to read that all areas met your expectations and received always such an attentive service from our staff. Thank you for your great comments about our rooms, the food (those churros are great!!), the pool and the disco.

Of course it will be our pleasure to be your choice for your next holidays!

Kind regards.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2014

When deciding which resort I was going to go to this year, I asked a lot of people who have gone to Dominician and read all the reviews. The majority of the people recommended the Catalonia Bavaro Beach resort and had nothing but good things to say about it. They said the reviews do not do it justice. Because of that, I thought I would give it a try. I will be there the April 18th!!
Karen Grady

Room Tip: Will let you know what our room was like.
Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank hannah123495
Dear Mrs K.Grady:

Thank you for choosing us! We truly hope that you have had an amazing and memorable stay with us.

We hope to host you soon!!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I must say the hotel is beautiful, very clean, the grounds are amazing. The entertainment team amazing. There are a few who made our trip truly fun. Look for Leonel, big mamma, and juan aka spaghetti. They went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and enjoy our vacation. Now.. .. The food was not the best. The service room where they are cooking the food is so big but not enough choices...everyday we knew what was to eat. They should have more varieties. Maybe cook two different ways of chicken, beef or pork. The service in the buffet is the worst I have ever seen we waited 10 too 15 minutes for someone to approach us even just for a glass of water. To many servers but everyone seems to be running around doing their own thing. No one smiles they just don't care.. BUT again if that changed this hotel would b amazing... Again. Can't say enough about Leonel and big mamma. We miss them so much.:(

Room Tip: We had villa 30. I thought it was great close to the main hotel. That's where everything is, u w...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Mandy D
Dear Mandy D:

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Catalonia Bávaro with the T.A Community.

We are so glad that the team provided you with memorable stay. I will make sure that Leonel, Big Mama, and Spaghetti receive your regards.

We have taken note about your comments on the food and the service in the main buffet, our goal is that comments on this important aspect are great and we are working towards this.

We hope to have the pleasure to host you again at Catalonia Bávaro.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
#86 of 112 in Punta Cana
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!