“Wonderful Trip!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, Canada
“Wonderful Trip!”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Our trip to the Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort was overall a wonderful trip! The hotel is only a ten minute drive from the airport which was so convenient. The hotel is beautiful and has a lot to offer. We were upgraded to the privileged suites (I believe because I liked the resort on Facebook..??) and our room was amazing and very close to the beach. The food was great, wonderful variety of fresh fruits, fresh squeezed juices, a sandwich bar, pasta bar, meats cooked right in front of you and the fresh seafood was awesome! The fresh donuts for breakfast were great too. The staff that work the bars and restaurants are extremely friendly, and our $1 tips went a long way. The beach was great and it seemed there was lots to do if you are looking for an active vacation however my husband and I enjoyed just lounging on the beach all day.

The only negatives were the very annoying excursion people who bother you daily to book excursions. We told them it was our last day everyday and they left us alone :)

We would recommend this resort to anyone and are planning to book another trip back here next year!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

6 Thank Briar S
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Briar S:

Thank you for posting your review about your recent stay with Catalonia Bávaro.

I'm glad to read that you noticed us on Facebook! Is a great way to keep in tracking all the great things we are preparing to our wonderful guests. Is great that you were upgrade to our Privileged area and had the chance to enjoy all the extra benefits this area provides.

Thank you for your comments regarding our great variety of food and our friendly staff. The donuts are really good, I love the churros too!

Thank you for recommending our hotel, we look forward to welcome you back really soon!

CATALONIA BÁVARO Beach, Golf & Casino Resort *****

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (913)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2014

In general, the hotel is very good: clean, large, spacious rooms and bathrooms, food is fresh and delicious.
WIFI: Free, but not the greatest...best reception was in the main lobby, but it was down often.
Animation was great! Ana and Marzo- are cool guys!!!
The only thing we were not satisfied with-not enough animation for kids.
Location is good- 20 min from the airport.
Beautiful beach!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Som C
Dear Som C:

We appreciate the time taken to express your comments about your stay at Catalonia Bávaro.

Our team is always more than willing to help our guest to enjoy a unique experience, always committed to provide the best service. Our Animation team will love to know that you enjoyed their services.

Thank you for your comments regarding the improvement of the animation for kids. We are working on different projects in this area, including a refurbishment of our kids club.

We will be glad to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest Regards,

Chemnitz, Germany
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We were with our friends in the Privileged Area. The entire property is very grßzügig. The rooms were beautifully decorated spacious and beautiful. The staff was very friendly. The offer in the Restautants was varied and you could discover something new every day. The food was delicious and there were also regional offers.
It was all around a successful holiday!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Rene D
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Rene D:

Thank you for your comment about your recent stay with us.

We are thrilled to now that you enjoyed our spacious rooms, our friendly staff and the variety of food we offer to our guest.

We look forward to welcoming you soon to another successful holiday!

Kingston, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We moved from the Occidental Grand to the Catalonia Bavaro due to the Occidental being overbooked. Wow...it was an upgrade for sure! I would pick this resort over the Occidental) A secluded resort from town, the entrance to the hotel is beautiful! Reception staff were friendly. They gave us an upgrade to the Privelged section for $180 for two people, (normally $25/day/person). I think it was worth the money. We were able to be closer to the beach, had a section only for Privelged and drink service at the beach.

Room: We had a Jr Suite with 3 beds (we were two friends travelling). Room was clean and they gave us everything we needed. We left $5USD each morning for the maid. She was ready to run for us for anything we needed.

Food: Food at the buffet was pretty good. The main buffet at the front lobby was the best as it had more selection than the buffet down at the beach. For the A La Cartes, we went to the Mexican restaurant Mariache. It was pretty good. We went to the Italian restaurant and it was less than satisfactory. I was delivered the wrong order of pasta and it looked like it was sitting out for a liitle while (you know when sauce sits out it is a bit congealed). the staff looked like they hated their job and seemed grumpy. We left promptly after eating our dinner and went and had dessert at the buffet! The Food bar at the pool was HORRIBLE. Hot Dogs, hamburgers, nachos, fries, chicken and ribs every day. They had pizza for night time and it was gross! DON'T EAT THE PIZZA!!!

Beach: the Priveleged section was nice but you had to be up early to save a spot under the tiki huts. We usually didn't have an issue finding shade. The beach was nice and clean. If you walk to the right of the resort there is a "market" with about 15 stores. The vendors will be very aggressive with you. Make sure you hide your money becuase they won't haggle well if they know you have lots of cash with you. The less you bring, the more you can get! And say "No Pressure". It went a long way with me. If you walk to the left you may meet Big Momma soliciting massages. DO IT!!!! She charged $35 USD for an hour. AMAZING massage EVER!!

Pool: Didn't use it but it seemed clean and had variable depths for all ages.

Entertainment: did watch any of it. We watched on night, and it was pretty cheesy. Something to see when you are sitting and socializing.

WIFI: FREE!! But not the greatest. We found best reception was in the main lobby (but evening time was bogged down and very slow..then go to the pool or the beach) I also got reception during the day down at the beach.

Security Box: FREE!!!!

We did the Caribbean Buccaneers excursion. It was a great time. That was all we did.

If you need to take a cab to San Juan plaza..be prepared to pay $30USD for a return trip. They would NOT haggle.

All in all, I would return to this resort and bring my family and friends. We went during March Break and although there were school/college kids there, they weren't too bad. I cannot comment on the casino or the golf course as we did neither. but the golf course looked really nice!

Room Tip: See if you can get an upgrade to Privelege! It was worth it!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
8 Thank NewCitySeeker
Dear NewCitySeeker:

It is a pleasure to know about your stay with us. Thank you very much for your comments. We were pleased providing you an excellent service.

I'm happy to read that you were upgrade to our Privileged area and you had the chance to enjoy all the extra benefits this area provides.

Thank you for your comments about improving our snack food and out Italian Restaurant. We thank you for highlighting this and promise to our future guests that they shall be rectified.

Thank you for recommending our hotel, we look forward to welcome you, your family and friends really soon!

Central Ontario
Reviewed March 24, 2014

So, first off, I give this 4 stars because of comparative places I have visited in the Carribean - and no, it would never be a 4 star hotel in North America. Second, folks, you are on vacation - if you are worried about some tiles being loose in a bathroom, saw a cockroach somewhere, the food wasn't fine dining and this bothers you terribly, suggest you stay in a nice hotel in your local city. This was excellent value (I paid just over $1000 pp in the middle of March break) for a Punta Cana resort. So very happy with my choice.

Beach - gorgeous....150 yards or so deep of lovely soft white sand with well spread out Palm trees. Lots of chairs (resort was full) and several palapas (you need to be out no later than 7:30 am) but if you didn't get one, lots of trees for shade. Only drawback was that there are grassbeds in the water (lots of area without though), but the grass detaches and they have to sweep every day and there are some floating stuff in the water in places. A reef breaks up the waves about a half mile from shore so nice calm water. Very little watersports - very little coming and going from dive shop, a very occasional banana boat ride...short and infrequent so not an issue. Topless? Yelp, my son and I went topless, my wife did not...place was full, some university kids. 6-12 women a day would be topless...big deal. I'm pretty sure my 13 year old son does not need therapy. Just a non-issue.

Pool - very nice, water nice temperature, pool bar. Have seen fancier ones and I suppose some tiles could be painted but not noticeably. Lots of chairs, trees and palapas for shade, good snack bar (better than I've seen even at the Bahia Principe in Mexico).

Drinks - quite good. Almost as good as my experiences in Mexico and ten times better than Cuba. Beer was very decent and very cold. The Bar at the lobby was particularly good and a nice "bar feel" at that bar. No issues at all at the pool or beach bar. Lots of mint and limes on hand. Very decent margaritas...my wife even was okay with the restaurant wine...better again than Mexico or Cuba.

Food. My expectations were low given it was the DR but pleasantly surprised. Nothing to write home about but very decent quality and selection. I especially liked the cheese bar...a guy does nothing but stand there and cut up what kind of cheese you want...lots of choices..and that is at the buffet. Did all 4 a la cartes...Japanese was somewhat entertaining - quite social - but very poor teppanaki - overcooked. Mexican was actually very decent and lovely restaurant theme inside and out. Steakhouse was a nice theme as well, very relaxing, lots of choices - again, this isn't the Keg so don't expect a thick cut of beef, but it was good. Italian was the best - try the Ossobucco. Lovely atmosphere and amazing service. Lastly, but not least, I think most people didn't realize there is a Creperie (included) after 4 pm till 11pm. We would often walk around the boardwalk shops and sit at a nice outside table on the boardwalk and have a delicious crepe - lots of choices of toppings...and very few people were ever there despite the resort being full. Good friendly service too.

Rooms - quite nice, spacious, Panasonic flat screen TV, huge tub, small shower stall, kept very clean, most comfortable bed I have had in all my trips to the carribean. Had a ground floor which I wasn't thrilled about but turned out to be great. And...no cost for the safe which is nice. Again, this isn't the Marriot in New York. If you want something fancy and better then stay in the US or pay much more $$$ and go to another resort...again, beautiful beach - great value here.

Service - almost everybody was very friendly, very helpful and language was never a problem. The gymnasium guy seemed a bit unfriendly when borrowing ping pong paddles and the like but that is pretty minor. No complaints on service. Estesia that greeted us was fantastic and made us feel at home.

Vendors - Was never bothered by a vendor on the beach to buy stuff EXCEPT excursion people...they were constant but most simply walked by if you said "no thank you". They would wait for you outside the buffet restaurant by the beach in the morning..you had to walk past about 4 of them from at least 2 different companies. Resort should not allow them within a certain distance of restaurants or bars. One night there were several vendors allowed to have tables up near the lobby with cigars, rum, jewellery (mostly) and paintings...they were a little pushy but not terrible.

Entertainment - wasn't impressed with the night shows I saw...Miss Catalonia was terrible, just 4 young women from the audience having to do certain things. Shaw the Musical Show dancing...they tried hard but very poor compared to shows I'd seen in Mexico and Cuba...not good. Activity people weren't very pushy for darts, archery, yoga, dance exercises...etc. which was good. Note though that resort photographers are out every day kind of pushy to take posed pictures for you and your family...you can go see them on the boardwalk at night and purchase them...we actually surprisingly did this...very good photos.

Excursions - did the parasailing - booked at the resort dive shop but happens in front of the Barcelo and Melia (what a zoo that area is with boat traffice - terrible). Parasailing...okay I guess, experience not great as the parasailing van dropped us off in the care of a guy who runs a souvenier shop that claims they aren't ready for you so you stay in the store. Even though we were only a 10 minute drive away, the van was 20 min late picking us up and it turned out that a 10 minute parasail burned 3 hours of the afternoon. Also did the zipline - booked through our vacation provider Transat...a good experience,12 lines, well run, interesting drive in the country (40 min).

NB. not that it matters but clientele mid March was mainly Canadian, European with several Russians and only some Americans...lots of the Americans were students on March break...pretty well behaved.

hope this helps - remember, beautiful beach, not far from the airport, very little boat traffic, calm water (although some floating grass that comes in), decent food, very decent drinks, fair price.

Room Tip: If you want to go to sleep early, ask for a room not facing the central corridor on the nightly ente...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
13 Thank Forestree
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was our fourth trip to Punta Cana and our first time at the Catalonia. We stayed from March 14, 2014 to March 21, 2014.

We had booked a superior junior suite in the privileged section. Prior to our stay, I had emailed the resort to request a ground floor room and a king bed. I was aware that this would be accommodated upon availability.

Upon arrival we were taken directly to the privileged lounge. Check-in was fast and efficient. My only regret is that I did not catch the name of the lovely lady that checked us in. She was very pleasant.

We were transported to our room by a golf cart. We were pleasantly surprised that we had been assigned to a ground floor corner suite in Villa 2. It was an amazing location right next to the beach. The room was spacious and clean and met our needs. The beds and pillows were very comfortable.

We forgot to take our sign off the door the following day and by the time we noticed it our housekeeper had finished our building. We were fine and didn’t need our room cleaned but wanted some beer and pop for our fridge. We went to the privileged lounge and spoke to Angel and within minutes of getting back to our room, Jose, arrived with the items we had requested. It is our preference not to have our room cleaned every day. Our housekeeper, Maria, in Villa 2 was so sweet. She made sure on the days we didn’t want the room cleaned to bring us the items we needed, beer, water, coffee, towels, etc. She was amazing!

We went to the lunch buffet at La Palapa every day. The food selection was great and we enjoyed having the advantage of the privileged section. We chose to eat at the Gran Caribe for supper each evening. I always found something to eat but found the selection at the lunch buffet to be better. The service was outstanding and we enjoyed the privilege section in this buffet too. We will take advantage of the a la cartes next trip. We heard they were good by other guests.

I did not spend any time at the pool but in passing it did not appear that it was overcrowded or that there would be any problem finding a place to lounge.

I spent every day in the privileged section of the beach. You had to get up a bit early in order to get a palapa. The beach was beautiful and the bar staff was great and entertaining! Nicholas “Cage” was a great laugh. Francesca was very attentive and provided great service to us on the beach.

We tried the casino every night for a little fun. We certainly didn't get rich but it was entertaining. After the casino we would always go to the Palmeral Bar and get seats close to the side by the theatre so that we could watch the entertainment. The first night we were there we were served by Maria. She remembered what we liked the second night and we made sure we were in here section every night after that. She was a ray of sunshine and really made our trip! We enjoyed our talks with her every night and never went without a drink. She always served me the best cappuccino! She was our absolute favourite! We wish her the best of luck with her baby boy due to arrive in a few months!

The entertainment staff were great and really got people involved.

We did notice that the market only comes in on Fridays, which was a little disappointing. We arrived late Friday evening and they were getting ready to pack up and were just setting up on the Friday when we were leaving to go to the airport. It would be great if they were in twice a week on different nights.

Although our room was closest to the beach, we did not find the walk to the buffet and entertainment to be bad. It was maybe 5 minutes at the most. We did not mind it at all.

We had an absolute perfect vacation. The weather was great, the beach lovely, the staff amazing and accommodating and the room perfect. We can’t wait to come back!

Room Tip: We had a room in Villa 2 in the privileged section. Our preference is to be close to the beach. It...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank abuchanan76
Speyer, Germany
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This was the first time we stayed in this hotel and we were completely disappointed with the quality and the state of appartments (toilett sealling was not leakproof, the tiles in bath are not fixed properly, cockroaches in bath, electricity blackouts etc.). Organization of trips&outings is very poor as well as the way the hotel guests are treated by the hotel administration. One has different expectations from the 5 stars hotel!!!
The location and the beach are nice, but be carefull with the sun umbrellas on the beach which are made of straw!!! They are all infected and if you get insured with them, it may cause a dangerous infection (my father-in-law experienced that during our stay in this hotel, my husband still has scares on his shoulder).
The only good thing about this hotel is the entertainment team, they did really a good job.

Room Tip: Good luck or choose another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family