“Unforgetable Stay .... But All For the Wrong Reasons!!!”

Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
Ranked #55 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I have never written a review for a hotel in all my life traveling, and I have traveled to a lot of places. This was my first trip to the Dominican Republic and my fiance and I decided to get married at this resort and also spend our honeymoon here. Well what a major disappointment it was.

Our first impression when we arrived was that the resort itself was upscale with a beautiful golf course and front lobby. We were quickly greeted by the front desk staff and given our complimentary welcome drink. Since we had upgraded to the privilege package, we were quickly brought to the privilege check in office and driven to our room.

And this is where the illusion of a 5 star resort was shattered. Our room was very dated and smelled musty. There were huge bugs on the floor, and our entire bodies were itchy from all the bed bug bites. The ceiling air conditioner leaked, the drain in our tub did not work, the hot water took about 5 minutes to warm up and the water pressure failed constantly. The lights on our patio did not work and although we were able to put the security latch on our front door, we had to struggle to unlock the latch to get out of our room. In fact, I had to get out from the back patio once because we could not even open our front door. The cleaning service was horrible and they failed to clean our room twice during our 14 day stay. The mini-bar was also not always restocked daily and the towels, shampoo and conditioner were not restocked daily. We had to call the front desk to get fresh linen twice. The coffee maker was also not cleaned. After using the coffee maker one morning, I found that the cleaning staff had restocked the coffee and water, but when I wanted to make another pot of coffee the next day, found that they had failed to clean the coffee maker and pot (found the coffee filter from the day before still in the machine and the left over coffee in the pot). Needless to say, that was the last pot of coffee I made for our entire stay. I also wanted to catch some news on the winter Olympics in the evening, only to find that the television had very poor reception. The wi-fi was also touch and go and kept dropping all the time.

Now for the wedding and honeymoon part of our trip, although the ceremony and decoration was well organized, we were not able to have our romantic wedding night dinner on the beach on the actual day of our wedding and could only schedule it for 2 days after the wedding. We also schedule to have our breakfast in bed the morning after the ceremony delivered at 10h30am, but it was never delivered. On the night we were supposed to have our romantic wedding dinner on the beach, we showed up at the restaurant only to be told that they had no knowledge of a wedding dinner being scheduled for that evening. The staff at the restaurant did, however, offer that we eat at the buffet. When I tried to explain that we had organized the dinner with the resort’s wedding coordinator for that evening, they insisted that here was no wedding dinner booked for the evening. We stormed out of the restaurant and me and my wife, who was wearing high heel shoes and dressed in a beautiful night gown, had to walk over 10 minutes to the privilege office to complain. After complaining to the staff at the privilege office, I was told that there was a misunderstanding and that they had the wedding dinner reservation and table ready. They drove us back to the beach restaurant and then told us to sit down and wait for them to set-up the table on the beach (which according to the front desk, was already supposed to be set-up). After almost a 2 hour delay, we finally got to sit down and enjoy our diner, which I will admit was very good.

But the service at the other restaurants was absolutely terrible. It took me and my wife forever to get any wine, while other people who showed up after us would immediately get served. On one evening, I ordered wine and waited 15 minutes and still we still did not get our drinks. I waived down the waiter and he immediately looked at us and said “Oh yes, the wine, I will be right back with it”. Again, we waited for 15 minutes and never got our drinks. I actually walked out of the restaurant and made my way to the lobby bar, ordered our drinks, and walked back to the restaurant with the drinks I got myself. Many times we felt that we were not offered water or coffee at meal times.

And forget getting money out of the ATM …. It just doesn’t accept any cards. I had to wait in line 30 minutes plus at the onsite bank office to get any money out. And the people working at the bank have no customer service whatsoever and are inconsistent with their policies. On one day, they accepted only my driver’s license as proof of identity when withdrawing money. Then on my last day at the resort, I needed to withdraw money before going to the airport. We had about 2 hours left before our airport transfer so we wanted to spend some nice relaxing time on the beach before leaving. I ended up standing in line for over 30 minutes waiting to get service at the bank, only to be told that I needed my passport to withdraw money. When I told the person that I had withdrawn money with only my driver’s license as ID 2 days earlier, he said HE only accepted a passport for ID. So we ended up wasting our valuable last hours at the resort running back to our room (about a 25 minute walk there and back to the bank) and staying in line once again for 30 minutes to withdraw money.

And to truly make our stay truly unforgettable when we left the resort, the driver for our airport transfer ended up almost knocking me out when he slammed the back door of the van on my head.

In summary, please pay attention to the one star reviews. I did not believe all the bad things written about this resort until I experienced it first hand for 14 days. Stay away from this resort and go somewhere else. I know I will next time.

Room Tip: A good room would be somewhere at another resort
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank bornruffian35
There are newer reviews for Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort

Reviewed February 20, 2014

This place was a disappointment. We spent 5 days there and just got back last night so I wanted to get this review going before I forgot the details. I read SO SO many Trip Advisor reviews before choosing a resort for our winter escape, and I can't believe I didn't see this in the reviews:

This resort (Catalonia Bavaro) is completely connected with Royal Bavaro. There are multiple paths back and forth between the resorts. The Royal Bavaro people have two ridiculously nicer pools and much better lounge chairs. They are allowed to come over to Catalonia Bavaro and drink, eat, enjoy the nighttime entertainment etc. but the people at this resort were not allowed to go over there. We tried! My husband looked it up and said that Royal Catalonia costs $30 more per night... this is DEFINITELY worth it if you don't want to feel shut out of the MUCH better side of the resort. It is insulting, and made me feel like a second class citizen which was not was I was expecting especially since we have paid to upgrade to Privilege AND had the Honeymoon package (although thankfully this was not actually my honeymoon!).

Catalonia Bavaro has the WORST pool I have ever seen, and the D.R. was my 21st country visited. It is peeling paint everywhere, has the worst layout, and the bricks around the pool are sticky and nasty. They need to start over. The pool was a huge disappointment, and was the reason I didn't choose the Royal Bavaro (Royal doesn't have a swim up bar). The yellow chairs you see in the pictures are mostly all tinged with black now and look dirty. They are the worst beach chairs I have seen at a resort.

Luckily we had the nicer Privilege chairs and beach beds. The beach is truly stunning and is by FAR the best feature of the resort. It is SO different than Cancun which is all high rises and resorts. These two combined resorts (again, should just be one darn resort!!) are the only thing around, at least that we saw. I got up early the first morning to save chairs on the Privilege beach, but realized later that it was unnecessary. I spent the rest of the mornings sleeping in and we always got great chairs since the Privilege beach wasn't as full.

Another huge disappointment was the people bothering us constantly. They want to sell you motorbike tours, dolphin tours, scuba, you name it. There were also the resort sales people who literally waited like hawks by the restaurants to get you coming in or out. We probably said no to salespeople 100+ times in 5 days. It grates on you.

There are multiple people picking up cups on the beach and by the pool, but we only got 1 person 1 time to bring us drinks in the Privilege section of the beach. I think that would be an easy upgrade for the hotel to make, especially if you are paying more for Privilege. Tell one of the cup collectors that he is upgraded to drink getter, and he would make a mountain of tip money!

The drinks were fairly strong... not amazing, but okay. The food was disappointing.. the Japanese was pretty good, the steak place served the toughest steak I have ever had, and the Italian place was nothing special.

As for the Honeymoon package, it includes the other highlight of the trip besides the beach: the lobster dinner on the beach with your own waiter. Our dinner was 2+ hours and was delightful. We felt special since we were the only ones on the beach! Another part of the package was 2 30-minute massages. My massage was ok, but my husband said she basically just gently rubbed his back the whole time, not actually massaging at all! It also included a bottle of champagne which was a nice way to start our trip. We also had access to a nice bar in the middle of a pond. It was not included with regular packages, but we enjoyed drinking there! It was a bit fancier! There is a casino and a little shopping mall that we enjoyed a bit too.

The housekeeping was very poor. Twice we didn't have our refrigerator restocked and I had to call down for it. Once we didn't have our toiletries (shampoo namely) restocked and I had to call down and wait for that. Very irritating. This should be a given-- restock the rooms! Our room even had a honeymoon banner hanging on it the whole time we were there... I thought we would get nicer treatment from housekeeping, but no such luck. Our room ACTUALLY had a view of the ocean-- Room 114-- since we were in the Privilege section. We felt lucky to be so close to the beach! They have upgraded the pillows which was needed according to other reviews.

My husband and I speak Spanish, so we enjoyed using it here. The resort is huge and involves a lot of walking which could be tough for folks who are out of shape. It is a very international crowd (Russian, Canadian, French, Spaniards) and I would guess that the majority were not Americans. I liked the international flavor there, but was irritated by SO many saved chairs and no one sitting in them! I would not come back, though if a friend asked, I would recommend the Royal Catalonia right next door.

Room Tip: If you upgrade to Privilege, you will be close to the beach, though not necessarily with a beach vie...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank viajes26
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear viajes26:

I appreciate you kind comments about your recent stay in our hotel.

Thank you for recommending our future guests our partner hotel,Catalonia Royal. We are next door, but as you could have seen we are oriented to different public. Catalonia Bávaro is our family oriented resort, that's why you will see a variety of activities and areas that you might not see in the other hotel. Catalonia Royal is our ADULT ONLY hotel. That is why some guest will differ in which hotel they might choose according to they need.

We would like to apologize for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay.

I would like to thank you for your comments about some areas that need more attention, we are analyzing your comments to see if we can do it differently to improve our areas and service.

We hope that at some point you will decide to come back to The Catalonia Bávaro, and give us another chance.

Best Regards.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Just returned from Catalonia Bavaro Beach. Had a great time. The beach is beautiful, the water is crystal clear. The resort is very clean, our room was total renovated. My husband and I love the food. Many choices. The staff was friendly. Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ria0962
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear Ria0962:

Thank you for the favorable review you gave us about your recent stay with us.

We are very satisfied to know that you and your husband enjoyed everything we have to offer, especially our tasty food and friendly staff.

We can't wait to have you back!!

I really hope to hearing from you soon!!!

Best Regard,

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We recently did 9 days at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino and Resort. I have been to Punta Cana about 7 times, but first time at this resort.
I know these reviews are all relative to what someone is used to, but they are kidding themselves with the 5 star rating.
I have to say the staff was very friendly and very focused on taking care of you (with the exception of the front desk on the night we checked in). We upgraded to Privileged which was a waste, as you really didn't get anything for the upgrade. The rooms were identical and nothing special. Our room in building 3 had such a bad odor from the air conditioner, so we turned it off all week. Yes, there was a separate area of the beach for Privileged, but sadly there was only 1 washroom for the whole beach and was a walk from the Privileged area. It was supposed to be superior drinks, but in most restaurants, the wine was barely drinkable, yet in others it was good. We ate most meals at the buffet as we heard that the a la cartes were terrible. We did do the Japanese and it was pretty good. The main buildings are very nice, although the lobby bar has zero atmosphere. The Animation team was lively and there were things to do every day if you wanted. I noticed people complained about the resort size and all the walking required. That didn't bother me a bit, and found it easy to figure the place out. The snack bar by the pool had great pizza, chicken and fries. We stopped by after a day at the beach, but sadly they only served beer. I had to go to the pool bar to get wine, but not drinkable.
The resort is closest to the airport, so you're there in no time. The beach is a little further down from the next group of hotels, which made for less locals peddling their goods.
Punta Cana has a great beach and this was no exception, but for your money, you're better off at Be Live, Majestic or Rui (we stayed at the Palace). All far superior in accommodations. It was a great break from Toronto's winter, but if you are use to staying at nicer places in the Caribbean, then I wouldn't recommend this place.

Room Tip: The buildings are 3 storey. I don't recommend a ground floor. I would normally say upgrade, bu...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank June K
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear June K:

Thank you for the feedback you have given about our resort in your review.

On behalf of all our team, I will like to apologize for falling short of your expectations. We are working on improving our shortcomings.

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the services of our great staff. They are always willing to offer our guest, the best in everything they do.

I hope you give us a chance to have you as our guest once again.

Best Regards.

Heidy L. Collado
Asistente Dirección & Comité Ejecutivo / Management Assistant & Executive Committee
HOTEL CATALONIA BAVARO BEACH, GOLF & CASINO RESORT*****

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Having just returned from my stay at Catalonia Bavaro beach, I now understand the mixed reviews. I enjoyed the beach which is exactly why I came here. The food/drink were exactly as mediocre as I expected. There were a few annoyances but no dealbreakers. All in all a decent stay.

Beach: The beach is the reason I came here and it's beautiful. We had to reserve our chairs at 6:30am to get a palapa which was a bit annoying since I like to sleep in. I've been to places that don't allow you to keep stuff on chairs and I think that makes it easier for everyone when people can't leave their stuff out there all day. If you don't need cover from the sun, it's probably easier to get a chair.

Grounds: They are well kept and there seems to be a full staff on 24/7. The resort is huge and requires some walking. This wasn't a negative for us but could be for someone else.

Staff: Everyone we encountered was very pleasant. There may be a bit of a communication issue, outside of the front desk, if you don't speak Spanish. The guests were from many different countries. They have a color coded wristband system to tell which language you speak. I thought this was a smart idea but I'm not sure they really use it because the staff were speaking to me in Spanish until I spoke to them in English.

Room: We had a priveleged room. We were upgraded and the people who worked there were really excited for us. But the upgrade didn't really show in the room which was a bit rundown. The ceiling fan didn't work. The shower stall is tiny (don't try bending down :) i have no idea how bigger people shower here) and had no shelf to put your toiletries. The design of the room just seemed to be poor with alot of under utilized space. But it was closer to the beach so that was a definite plus for us. I'm just not sure it would have been worth an extra $30pp per night. Just for clarification, the rooms are close to the beach, not beachfront or oceanview.

Food: I think the food and drinks are standard all-inclusive quality. Not horrible but not great. The italian restaurant was the best of the alacarte restaurants. The japanese place is hibachi style with possibly the worst "sushi" appetizers I've ever tasted.(they don't use raw fish(i presume for safety which would be fine if it still tasted good) and the rice was dense and chewy). The steakhouse steak was not cooked the way I ordered it but it was ok. The buffet across from lobby "Gran Caribe" was better than the one on the beach (can't remember the name) but both had a wide selection and they even cook some stuff to order. In my opinion, this (and the italian place) is the way to go. There's also some fast food (pizza/hotdogs/french fries) next to the pool and is available pretty much all day. The rotisserie chicken was good.

Drink: I think I would rather pay for a few well mixed quality drinks than have all-inclusive drinks so keep this in mind. The drinks are served in those small juice cups they use in dorm rooms. Tips get you more liquor (AKA vitaminas). If you plan on drinking all day, I saw many guests had brought giant travel mugs with them. The few drinks I had were pretty low quality alcohol and mixes. I had a caipirinha which was pretty good (fresh limes). Beer (presidente) is a safe bet.

Activities: There are plenty of things going on. I didn't participate in any of these things so I can't comment on them. I did witness some aerobics, yoga, dancing and some games on the beach.

Sales pitch: The way people in DR hound you to buy stuff is utterly annoying. There are also people on the beach trying to get you to participate in tours and activities and buy lobster dinners all day long. I guess it depends what you are into but I just felt like it was a little overkill...if I wanted to do those things, wouldn't I seek it out myself? Also I'd like to look at what you are selling without the pressure of someone yelling at me to come over and look. But that's just me. I like to relax when on vacation. Also, they will try to get you to "tour" the facilities. I'm pretty sure they said that it wasn't a timeshare; that it was to get repeat customers but either way I wasn't interested. I said no thank you but they were persistent. Again, this was annoying to me that I had to keep saying no. The concierge admitted that he got points for my attendance.

Room Tip: Priveleged rooms, at a cost, are closer to the beach (although not oceanview or beachfront) and furt...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Kerry F
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Trippingdaisy:

On behalf of our staff, Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro Resort.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful beach, the peaceful nature that surround us and the service that our staff provided.

Our rooms are on the remodeling process, we have already changed our beds and pillows. Regarding the small showers, there is a project to refurbish these areas too.

I will like to apologize if by any time you felt besieged by any of the staff of the Traveler's Club ,is not our intention to make our guest feel like that. We will pass your comment to their managers.

Once again Thank you, I do hope you give us another chance to make your stay even more wonderful!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

The staff at the Catalonia could not do enough for us. They were wonderful. Special thanks to Sandy and Santana who we spent our evenings with. They were fun and attentive and friendly. We will miss you. The food is good, not the best we have had at an all inclusive but far from the worst. Breakfast and lunch were always good. The rotisserie chicken at the snack bar by the pool was wonderful. We tried all 4 al a carte restaurants I think my favourite was the Japanese, it was very entertaining. The others were ok a little hit and miss. But over all fine. The beach and the pool were beautiful. The resort was very clean and everyone was very helpful. Carolina our tour representative was friendly, very helpful and informative. For the money we liked this resort very much and had a great week there.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 2400 block on the inside. Which had a view of the main walkway up the middle of the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear _Dave_K_Lloyd_:

Thank you so much for your review and your kind words about our Team members, especially about Sandy and Santana.

I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that we made your stay memorable. Our Japanese restaurant is one of the best restaurants we have in the hotel, great choice!!

This is an excellent example of what we are aiming at Catalonia Bávaro, is to provide all guests with a highly personalized service and make them feel welcome in a home away from home while they are with us.

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to Catalonia Bávaro, hopefully in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful beach, great for families, the water is calm and the service is great
We have been to other places before but, one thing was new to us and we really appreciated

It might sound shallow but we wanted a family picture that wasn't a selfie and didn't want to bother anyone who is on vacation as well

We notice that once every morning photographers would show up, and they were PRO, they would take as many pictures as you like and you choose if you want to purchase or not

Its great to have wonderful memories that are not only selfies!!! So thank you to the italian team (Francesco, Victoria and Maria) for helping us with the pics!!

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Kuni H

Dear Kuni H,

Greetings from Punta Cana!!

Thank you for the favorable review you gave to Catalonia Bávaro.

Is great to know that you had a memorable family vacation and that you took advantage of our beautiful scenery to take with you unforgettable memories.

I will give your greetings to Francesco, Victoria and Maria! They will appreciate hearing from a satisfied guest.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best regards,

Alsol Luxury Village
#85 of 112 in Punta Cana
Caribe Club Princess Beach Resort & Spa
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!