“A very special place!”

Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
Ranked #54 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 2, 2014

For us Catalonia it is a special place.It very much depends on what expectations we have from a holiday.We fall in love with Dominican Republic in 2001 and keep going back since.We particularly love the locals genuine,friendly and their late back attitude.Over the years we tried different hotels in Dominican Republic,North Puerto Plata resorts,South La Romana,tried different countries too, however for us Catalonia it is the winner,after each visit here it gives us that home welcomimg feeling wanting to go back.The grounds are just beautiful:peaceful gardens and lakes and then the beach with white sand,palm trees and clear blue sea. Our first visit here I believe it was in 2003 and since then we went back few times last one in 2010 .It is great to see how the rest of the world does not affect Catalonia,in one way has not changed yet the facilities and customer service had improved a lot. We would like to take this opportunity and congratulate their efforts in offering us a great time.
This year we were booked within The Priveleged Section by the hotel as gratitude for returning customers. We booked a Superior Junior Suite with Thompson in UK however,I have emailed the hotel asking for a quiet,high floor room.On arrival we had a pleasant surprise to be upgraded.We stayed in room 321,which was quiet and very well maintained daily house keeping,mini fridge top up,fresh towells,etc.and no technical problems.The room was great one thing to be considered maybe the garden maintanance could be done after 9 o'clock and not at 7 or 7.30 in the morning.The noise from garden machinery was too loud some mornings.
It was so good to see how the food standards have improved over the years,excellent lunch and dinner choices(we do not take b'fast).Well done to Johnatan executive chef and the rest of staff for the sevice provided specially Ecstor in Mexican and Steak House restaurant and Pedro in Italian restaurant.
I apreciate that sometimes things could go wrong, but if we ask they will do their best to rectify it and make our stay memorable.We had an amazing time,you can do as much as you want or nothing at all just relax,however the options are there.My husband enjoyed his rounds of golf on the 9 hole golf course.We are already considering to go back next year,until then thank you to everyone.

Room Tip: The Priveleged section offers quiet, good rooms and more personal service.I believe you can choose a...
8  Thank batica
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive review on T.A.

Is a pleasure to read reviews like yours, that prove us that our effort is truly worth it. Thank you for choosing us one more time, and for recommending our hotel. We work hard to improve our services and facilities to make the stay our guest memorable.

On behalf of all the staff in Catalonia Bávaro, once again THANK YOU!! We look forward to welcoming you soon.

CATALONIA BÁVARO Beach, Golf & Casino Resort *****

Write a ReviewReviews (11,196)

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Well we had nice time at this resort,very beautiful grounds. We did however find it very loud at nights, had to call security. I love to party and have agreat time on my vacation,all the time being respect full of others.
The Pros Good food
Beautiful Grounds
Friendly staff ( for the most part )
The Cons terrible pillows
Staff at the steak house restaurant were terrible ( if you get a waiter named Junior...ask to go to another section. Had to ask 3 times for my beer and then he acted SO surprised when he came back 5 minutes later and so that I opened my own beer.
Maid was caught by my wife resting on our bed watching TV when she came back from the pool to grab something.
Then when we ask for a slightly later checkout they had the nerve to request $45 more fore an extra 2 hours. Well that was it. I went to the front desk to voice my displeasure, the front desk manager said she would waive that fee for me. I ask repeatedly for the hotel General Managers email address so i could make him aware of some of the things that were going on with his staff. They told me a couple of times that they were not allowed to give that out. My question is then...why would they make a buisness card for the GM??? Maybe they dont, i dont know.
I told the lady at the front desk that the staff from the Steakhouse Restaurant, that they should go and sit in the italian restaurant and see how service should be done. Those people in there work like a well oiled machine. Many restaurants locally in the Vancouver area where I am from could learn a lot from these guys. By the way my job at home is directly involved with the hotel and food service industry. I hope this review helps. All in all i would give them a 3 out of 5.

Room Tip: Try to get a room farther away from the pool area. It gets quite noisy at night time there.
1  Thank Tim G
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comment with the community of Trip Advisor.

We are very sorry to read about your experience, we do apologize for this inconvenience that you experienced. We apologize for the behavior of some of our employees, we will take action to prevent this type of behavior, which does not reflect our policy of customer service and work ethic.

We hope you give us the chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

My husband and i stayed at the Catalonia from 1/14/14 until 1/28/14. The food was not fit for dogs. we had a junior suite on the third floor, small, old nothing to bragg about.
The Catalonia Resort is the worse the resort I have ever stayed in.
I felt sorry for those people that paid the extra money for privilege sitting, to eat the same garbage that everyone else was eating.
Entertainment was a joke, in the main lobby they had a lady singing and a guy playing an organ that was the best. Everything else was a joke, I know the staff tries hard, but it just does not work.
OMG ………….those theme restaurant is the biggest waste the food was not eatable specially the Mexican restaurant. The Japenese was not too bad the soy sauce gave the food some flavor. Don't book it !!!! you will be sorry. Check out Secret, Dreams, Paradisu or Rui Palace.
I have stayed at all of these resorts .
Stay away from Catalonia Barvaro Beach Resort.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Carmen P

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Catalonia Bávaro, thank you for choosing us for your holidays in Punta Cana and for sharing your review on Trip Advisor. We always look forward to receive our guest valuable feedback.

We are disappointed to read our food and beverages services did not meet your expectations, please receive our sincere apologies.We will take note of your comments to revise with the goal of improving our services, we must clarify we count with a variety of a la carte restaurants; we also count with a 24 hour room service available without any additional charges to our privileged area. Also all our food and restaurants are verified with continuous audits of companies recognized quality control and hygiene, thus ensuring the quality of all the food we offer to our customers.

We hope you give us a change to welcome you back.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino and Golf Resort from. Jan. 17-24, 2014 with another couple. We had a quick check in and made our way to our rooms on our own with out being offered assistance from a bell boy. This may have been due to the fact that we had a late flight. None the less, it was no bother to us and we found our villa easily with the assistance of the front desk staff. Our room had everything we needed and was very comfortable. The A/C wasn't working well and we called for it to be repaired. They came several times before they found the problem, but by the next day, it worked just fine. Our room, 2326, did not have an electronic safe, as the front desk staff had told us, so we returned for a lock and key and had no problems with it. The bed and mattress were very comfortable and bathroom towels and supplies were plentiful. I had "liked" the resort on Facebook so we were welcomed with a letter and some nice gifts - a T-shirt and scented wax ornament, in addition to the fruit tray and bottle of rum, which our friends also got. Not sure if this is standard or a gesture due to our travel agent requesting VIP service for us...lol!

Food was very good. More than sufficient options. Reservations at the a la carte restaurants are not required. We only had to wait at the Japanese restaurant but only about 10 minutes. It most definitely was our favourite but they were all very good. Even the Rodeo steakhouse, which doesn't seem to have very good reviews, was very good. Service at the buffets and restaurants was excellent, although, something happened the night we were at the Italian restaurant as we waited at least 45 minutes between our anti pasto and our soup. The food was good, however, and we enjoyed ourselves, so we're not bothered.

Other Trip Advisor reviewers commented about the bathrooms at the beach negatively. The week we were there, they were cleaner than most places I've been to. There were always one or two cleaning ladies constantly wiping and mopping to keep the water and sand off the floor. The sinks and taps were always clean. There was a problem one day with the sewage system and those ladies took buckets of tap water and put it in the toilets after each guest. Other places would have just left it or closed the bathrooms.

The staff everywhere are extremely friendly and very hard working! They do an outstanding job!

Things that were nice surprises for us were:
1. There is a panini maker in the main buffet where you can make lovely sandwiches.
2. On at least 2 nights, unlimited lobster was served at the main buffet (so don't waste your money and pay $30 US per person for the optional lobster on the beach).
3. The sugar donuts and croissants with chocolate are amazing!!! I miss them already!
4. Watch for champagne and OJ or Bloody Mary's at the breakfast buffet, if you're interested!
5. Try a massage on the beach. Very nice and very professional!
6. Friday late afternoon and into dinner time, vendors set up outside the lobby and main buffet. Between the hotel shops and these vendors, there's really no need to venture off the resort.
7. The creperie was lovely! I had the "Suzette" twice and enjoyed it very much. It was made with orange juice and lime. Very tangy and delicious!
8. Wednesday and Friday there was a BBQ by the pool. Very tasty!
9. On various days there was a big blow up slide at the pool.
10. The pizza is definitely amazing! A must try!
11. There was a small clothes drying rack on the balcony, along with 2 resin rocking chairs and a hammock.

Some reviewers say this is a party resort. We aren't major partiers, but didn't find that this was a party resort. As people have said, if your room is near the centre of the resort, it will be very quiet, except for maybe the odd rude guest, but this can happen anywhere. The activities on the beach are fun to watch and you can choose whether or not you wish to participate. There's a little mini mart on the beach which is convenient if you forgot anything. I would recommend getting up early to grab your beach lounges, however. We aren't late sleepers so this wasn't an issue. But one day, we didn't get to the beach until about 8:30 and it was hard to find 4 lounges together. Two would have probably been easier. There's beach volley ball and bacci on the beach.

The bars were all very good. Service in the lobby bar from the bar maids is excellent. They really get to know the special drinks you like and always have a smile.

All in all, we were very pleased with everything this resort offered. You get a lot for your money. Wish we were back there now!!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle villas are away from the lobby bar and disco, so are quieter. The resort isn'...
12  Thank Judy_and_Doug
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to read your positive review from your recent stay with us at Catalonia Bávaro. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and recommend our Hotel.

Thanks for staying with us, we do hope you will return to DR in the near future and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed at the Catalonia Bavaro Punta Cana from Jan. 13-20. The hotel was rated a 4.2 star by reviewers and a 4.5 star by the hotel themselves. This hotel was definitely not more than a 3 star. First off I will say that it is older - built in 2001 I believe - so the grounds were gorgeous and well established. Also the grounds were very well maintained. The pool area was very nice and well kept and the beach was gorgeous. The hotel itself left a lot to be desired. Our room was very run down and needed some TLC. The lighting was very poor in the room, we had a leaky roof in 2 different spots, and for the last 3 days of our stay, our room smelled like sewage. We stayed in room 3028 - this block is right beside the main buffet/lobby area as well as the nightly entertainment so at times it was very noisy. We got a real king size bed, not two doubles pushed together. The pillows were horrible and very lumpy. We only got one normal size pillow and the other was tiny. I would strongly suggest you bring your own pillows and was very sorry I hadn't brought mine. We did ask for more pillows to be brought to the room, which they did, except the new pillows were just as bad as the old ones. However I will say that our room was always clean, which was most important to us anyway as we spent all of our time at the beach. The beach was phenomenal - the softest whitest sand I have ever seen and the staff was continually at work keeping it clean. And the water was the most gorgeous blue-green color. Nicest beach we've ever been to. We really enjoyed the nightly entertainment, the animation team did a great job. Now, on to the food. We've done a lot of traveling and we enjoy trying new things and eating what the locals eat. The food at this resort was not good and not at all what we had expected or hoped for. The buffets offered a lot of selection but most of it was North American choices - burgers, fries, hotdogs, pizza, potatoes, etc. We never really could figure out what the locals eat and what is considered truly Dominican cuisine. They offered different meats - steak, chicken thighs and different kinds of seafood as well, but they were mass producing it at such a rapid speed that most of the meat was undercooked and we couldn't eat it. And if it wasn't undercooked, it had been sitting in a warmer for so long that it was ice cold. The snack bar was decent and so was the pizza place - burgers, fries, nachos, chicken, hotdogs. The A la cartes were awful. Don't even bother with Toscana. The food was a huge disappointment for us. Drinks were pretty watered down. We're not big drinkers so that didn't bother us at all, but for some it might be a big deal. So the food, combined with some upgrading needed in the rooms is the reason for the 3 star rating.
A couple things to be warned about: First off - DO NOT exchange money in the airport. They rob you. Wait until you get to the hotel and you will get a much better rate. The airport kiosks all boast "no commission", that is a lie. We lost so much money at the airport because we didn't know this. Secondly, there are always men walking around the resort trying to convince new comers to attend a meeting. They say they're not selling a timeshare and that just for attending the meeting you will get 30-50% off per person the next time you book at a Catalonia, anywhere in the world. This is a lie! They are selling time shares and will waste atleast 11/2-2 hours of your time. And the only way you get any discount whatsoever is if you buy a time share. Here's the kicker - they only want $120,000USD and 50% of that they want at the meeting. Don't waste your time, go and enjoy the beach instead.

Room Tip: Choose something in the 2400-2500 block. Those rooms seemed to be more centrally located - about ha...
4  Thank veebs215

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience online. I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us. We genuinely apologize for falling short of your expectations.

We are working in the replacement of our beds and pillows. Regarding the food, we have high hygiene standards and our quality department ensures these standards are met.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed at the Catolonia Bavaro from January 17th to the 24th. We arrived late Friday night, via Air Transat, with no headaches or problems from them. We had to pay for the upgrade privilege package so our check in was a little different. After trying to check in at front desk, we were told we must go to the privileged check in...the bell boy had to take our luggage to another area of the resort, and then sit and wait for paperwork etc to be completed. We found this to actual be a slower process than the regular one. As part of that package, there were to be special amenities which in our opinion was definitely not worth any extra money. Our rooms were the same as others, actually some had better rooms. Our king bed was two doubles pushed together while others enjoyed the true king. Showers all leaked as curtains are not long enough. The rooms certainly could use a good update. Our safe was included though and was digital.

Well, where do we begin. Not good...we heard a lot of reports of people being ill from the beef and calamari, so those two were definite avoids. Very bland food. They did have okay chicken and the salad bars were very well stocked. The breakfast had to be the best meal of the day. There were two buffets, both similar but one a bit smaller. They had a 24 hr. snack bar...the pizza from here was pretty good. One piece of advice...don't go to the steakhouse hungry...it was priceless watching all the faces as the meals were delivered to their tables...very small piece of meat (which I wouldn't chance again); and either small 1/2 baked potato or four onion rings. We did the buffet after for desert and coffee. Servers in large buffet very friendly and quick to bring you drinks etc
Pool...very warm, great amount of shade, could have used a few extra loungers as hotel was full, but the pool filter apparently wasn't working and there was quite a bit of debris in the pool. The pool could benefit from upgrading as well.

Beach...nice walk along beach, quite a bit of seaweed, but nice walk. There is a market off the beach, and if you do go there, take a couple of cold pop from your room...vendors will bargain with you for cold drink...the beach bags started out at 35 and I got them to 10 with cold pop...liquor is cheaper at hotel shops than beach and def cheaper than airport duty free
Entertainment...most of the staff friendly and deserved the tips...we are firm believers in tipping but other guests perhaps not, entertainment shows...okay, have seen better but they try...circus and Michael Jackson well worth the watch

Our concern was that the staff here was friendly, but not as friendly as other resorts we have been at, even in the dominican. This makes me think that they are not happy with who they work for...just our thought. Perhaps the bosses/management are not easy/good to work for. They were present in the lobby bar area a few nights, and it almost seemed as though moods changed. We were fortunate this trip that the weather was as good as it was...seven full days of sunshine and heat. If we hadn't have had that, not sure our trip would have gone as well. We had a great time, but we would most definitely not return to this resort and unfortunately, would probably stay away from other Catalonia's as well...this is rated a four star with some, four and a half with others, but I would give it a three!

Room Tip: We were in 502....very close to beach and pool...quiet location
4  Thank kiddy_10

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel.

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidents that you experienced.

I appreciate your feedback, and hope you give us the chance to make it right in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We visited Catalonia Bavaro from Jan. 17-24. We had a great time at the resort but that was because of the beautiful weather and people we met. We were very efficiently checked in when we arrived. Our room was surprisingly nice. Our king size bed was a real king size bed not two beds pushed together although we heard some of the rooms did have that. We had a spacious balcony equipped with a hammock which was great. We found the service good, they were always ready to serve you if you needed something. The food was not that good and a word of advice, avoid beef of any kind at this resort, it's disgusting. I also spent 12 hours hunched over the toilet after I ate a ribeye steak at their steak house, ugh! If you do visit the steakhouse, don't go hungry. You get a tiny little steak (which was a good thing in my case) a potato OR vegetable OR 4 onion rings. It was funny to watch people get their plates and watch their reaction when they got their "dinner". The Japanese restaurant was very good and you got lots of food but don't eat the beef. The Italian restaurant was not very good at all. The lunch buffet wasn't bad, they had baked chicken and lots of salad and fruit. The supper buffet was hit and miss. We tried the creperie and it was not good and the girl in there was very surly so we didn't go back to try another one. The pool wasn't bad but like the rest of the resort it was a little rundown. We stayed in 3116 and we liked the location. You're kind of centred between pool and lobby and restaurants and its nice to be one level up because you get more privacy. The beach was packed every day but I wasn't a big fan because it was full of sea weed. There is a market down the beach that is fun to visit, but know your prices before you visit because just because they say half price doesn't mean it is. The entertainment wasn't that good except for the circus show and the Michael Jackson show. They are worth watching. Next time we visit the Dominican it definitely won't be this one.

1  Thank Anne M

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for your review. Please accept my apologies for some issues you encountered with some meals at the Catalonia Bávaro.

We have taken your points on board and will address them in the best possible way. However we will like to inform you that at the hotel, we adhere to the highest standards recognized and supervised by Safety and Hygiene Consultants. As a result, we are extremely careful regarding the foods that we use, therefore, we really sorry to hear that you got ill during your stay.

Once again, many thanks, and we hope that we will be able to welcome you back again in the future!

Best regards,