“GREAT VACATION -LUIS & MARY DE TORONTO(Uruguayos)”

Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
Ranked #57 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“GREAT VACATION -LUIS & MARY DE TORONTO(Uruguayos)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

My husband & myself we spent two week at Catalonia over the Christmas & New Year holiday.
Catalonia is a perfect place to make your vacation or recreation good ,pretty and really didn,t want to go back home. The most important thing that you wont be bored at all.Animation is in high level,Fernando,Big Mama,Spaghetti,Condorito(Miguel,Palito de Coco,Alex and the rest of the crew of the live entertainment at night and the disco .
The staff was friendly and our bar tender in the lobby bar were Alfredo,Emanuel and Carlos in the pool bar they took care of us all the time. SALUD AMIGOS
The food was great with many option for all tree meals.
We had room 2005 which was conveniently located just front to the pool,thank you very much to the guy call Rafael fro the front desk he give to us a beautiful room.GRACIAS
The maid Elizabeth she was very nice with us, the room was perfect everyday and she was so nice with us. MUCHAS rGRACIAS ELIZABEHT.
The place we didn't like was the Casino , the girls didn't have power for anything,we couldn't hear the way they talked, never happened before in another resort.
We had a great and relaxing time would hight recommend this place.
WE MISSED YOU GUYS. CARINOS PARA TODOS.

Room Tip: The best room are in the building 18,19,20,21,22.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MARY M
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience in our Hotel, with our future guests.

We are overjoyed knowing that you pleasantly experienced a very fun, memorable & relaxing vacation in our beautiful resort.

Your comments about our casino, will be sent to the departments involved to take into consideration.

From all our staff, especially from the animation team, thank you again for staying with us, we really appreciate your kind words.

Cariños para usted también!!

CATALONIA BÁVARO Beach, Golf & Casino Resort *****

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (902)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I have never written a review before but what has happened to me here at this resort, I just had to! When we arrived at the hotel I asked for a safe lock for the room safe. If your room does not have a electronic safe then there is a key lock you have to get from the front desk in order to use the safe. We made sure to lock up all our valuables in the safe always. One day we came back and saw that our safe was just open. We hid the safe key in the room in one of our bags in the pocket of a pair of pants in the bag. Someone from the staff went in and went through all of our stuff, found the key and while we were at the beach, stole both of our watches and money from my husbands wallet. We have never experienced such a thing and the staff once we reported it just called it a "loss" and would not do anything about it. Like they did not even care about it or anything. Acted like it was a normal occurrence at the resort! Needles to say, we lost more then we paid for the trip. Stay very far away from this place if you are bringing anything of value at all. Staff come in and go through all of your stuff while you are out of the room. We should have listened to the others here about this.

Room Tip: Stay very far away from here, high theft rate and your safe will get broken into. Staff keeps a very...
Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Chantal D
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking your valuable time to give us your review on Trip Advisor.

Our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had during your stay. This is definitely not normal for our hotel and we take serious follow up to this situation. Our managers are very concerned and would like you to contact us directly via email with the complete information of this matter.

We hope that in the future you can come back and give us the opportunity to pamper you as we know.

canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Just back from a trip to Catalonia. Nothing special or fancy. Food was crappy same old stuff on the buffet, steak house not bad, japanese good, italian good, didnt go but I heard the mexican one was bad. Rooms are old but typical 3*, some ants or crawly creatures. Well kept grounds, but friends rooms flooded with sewage. Rooms are loud, the concrete hallways let you hear every door slam and drunk getting home, rooms are serviced every other day.
BUT, we had friends have a wedding there.. what an absolte disaster. They didnt even have record of them getting married. Everything was f-ed up. And be ready to pay extras for everything, ended up being much more than suspected. Nothing was set up on time, seating was in sand on a slant so bad people were one breeze away from falling over, justice (and wedding planner) didnt speak English well enough to understand her, wine and champagne is kerosene quality.
I wasnt impressed with PC or DR as a whole. Almost robbed twice before I even got out of the airport. The guy collecting the incoming tax at the airport tried to screw me for $10extra coming in, then the cabs tried to get an extra $5...plus the guys playing music for 2mins that kick the tip jar at your feet as your walking by. Maybe they should up the incoming tax to $100 under the understanding that no-one in the rest of PC would screw you over. Cuba next time.

Room Tip: Not ground floor, they have sewage issues and a flood is not fun to deal with
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank guinness17
Dear Guest:

It is a pleasure to know about your stay with us. Thank you very much for your comments.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience you faced during your stay. All the comments you have sent us about customer services and about improving some areas are more than helpful, and we appreciate the feedback we received from our valuable guests.

We will be delighted if you give us another chance by counting again with your presence in our hotel.

Receive warm regards from all our staff,

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

We spent a week at Catalonia 1st week of January. This was our 7th trip to Caribbean/Mexico and 2nd to DR.

Room:
We had room 2528 which was conveniently located in the middle of the resort. It was clean, bug free, and a decent size. No iron, so bring your own. The door to the bathroom didn't close all the way, but then it wouldn't stay open. There was always hot water and the pressure was good. Overall pretty good.

Grounds:
Beautiful! Tall palm trees, no bugs, you can go for a nice long walk around the resort and truly enjoy it.

Service:
Pretty good. The bartenders are great, especially if you give them a few $ tip. Service at the restaurants was good as well. The maids were great. We had to talk to the front desk a few times and they seemed nice enough. We didn't see a lot of tipping, staff was really good with or without tip.

Beach:
The beach itself is awesome. Not too long, but wide, and the staff is constantly cleaning the seaweed that washes up. However, the ocean itself was a let down. The water is full of seaweed which tangles around your body as you try to swim.

Food:
The most disappointing aspect of the resort. Breakfast was good, enough choices to fill you up. Lunch was so-so. The buffet by the pool had sushi which worked for me, but my husband often had very little to pick from. Dinner was the worst. Main buffet was terrible. Undercooked rice, inedible meat, off tasting "specials". We tried Japanese which was ok, but our chef didn't do much for entertaining. Steakhouse was pretty good (and the service was fantastic!). Mexican was terrible. I ordered enchiladas and got something that didn't look or taste like enchiladas. I couldn't eat more than a bite. We didn't try Italian as everyone we met told us not to bother as it was that bad. The best part was pizzaria. We ate there every day. My husband had his lunch there and we did dinner there few times after a disappointing meal at the buffet. Creperie was pretty good too. We are usually not too picky, but we do feel that the food was subpar.

Other:
The resort is large with a very diverse clientele. You have people from all over Europe and North America, there are families with small children, couples, singles. Something for everyone: golf, gym, daytime games, shopping, lounging. We didn't find it hard to get loungers by the pool, but then, we were there on our way to breakfast at 8:30. The beach seemed like there are loungers available all the time. They have shows at night followed by live music by the lobby bar. We went to the disco one night and had a blast. We didn't upgrade to privileged and no regrets. Time share salespeople are a bit annoying but when you say no they leave you alone.

Overall:
If you get a good deal to go here, do it. If you are paying close to full price, go elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JeffAndAnita
Dear Guest:

Thanks for sharing your opinions with other travelers about your recent stay in Catalonia Bávaro Resort.

Is good to know that you fully enjoyed our resort, our atmosphere and our staff.

We will take into consideration your comments about the food and themed restaurants.

We encourage you to give us the opportunity to have you here again.

Thank you for choosing us!

Yours Sincerely,

Brick, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

This property was really amazing.We stayed in the privileged honeymoon suite. It included a lobster dinner on the beach. The staff was always very helpful and friendly. We had a great and relaxing time and would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Priviledged rooms are definitely worth the extra money.They even section off the beach just for priv...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us and the rest of the T.A reviewers such an enthusiastic review!

We are very glad to learn that you had a wonderful vacations, it is a pleasure to read that you
enjoyed our facilities and the beach.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you soon!!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I was referred to Catalonia by a family member who went there the year prior and loved their experience. This was our first time traveling out of the US and our first time experiencing an all-inclusive resort. First impressions of Catalonia was great. The staff was friendly and our bar tender Eddy took care of us all week; of course with a generous daily tip which gets you far. Look for Eddy at the lobby bar and tip him well, it's worth it! Our room was spacious and clean, we had no issues at all besides the random power outages at least 3 times per night but we just laughed about it and dealt with it. It really only lasted a couple minutes each time. We are simple people who expect good service and a place that was worth our money. We are not picky people who look for problems so those we really did not find.
I would mention the only downfall of the trip was the food. I do have to say it was horrible. The buffet was pretty much the same food everyday with maybe 1 or 2 changes. The restaurants had bland food and the Spanish place offered enchiladas that were literally uneatable. I think most people do not have high expectations at a buffet but we pretty much stuck to pizza and french fries which we felt were the only "safe"options.
The resort did not feel overcrowded most the week but towards the end of our trip we would have problems finding even 1 chair at the pool and sometimes in the morning at the beach. The nightlife was dull and we found it very routine with our days. This could just be us because although we like a relaxing daytime we do like a lively nightlife. Overall we had a great time and felt our money was just about well spent. The resort was beautiful and the beach was beautiful. And although we came as couple I would mainly recommend Catalonia to groups and families.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool are loud 24/7 with music and people. Ground floor invites giant cockroaches!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us, we are very pleased to read your comments. We are satisfied to know that you had a wonderful time with us.

We are glad to know that your expectations were achieved, which is our main goal.

We look forward to welcoming you again!

Cordially,

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

My friend was staying at this hotel. After speaking to the woman at guest services 3 times about the cost for me to come for the day, I arrived. We go see this woman who asks for my passport. When I answer her that no one told me that I needed one, she said rolling her eyes that of course I needed it for the day pass. She had never told my friend and continued to roll her eyes at me when i said that to her. Well, her answer was that even when she goes to buy a loaf of bread in Spain, she carries her passport. Continuing in her rude way, i informed her that if documents were needed to come and spend the day at her hotel, she should have informed my friend one of the 3 times they spoke and that she should never assume that people are aware of things like that. Just based on my interaction with this woman, I would NEVER set foot in that hotel and I will tell whoever asks me that this hotel has rude staff working there. This woman was the first person I interacted with at this hotel. Her rudeness and attitude continued at the front desk while speaking poorly about me to the woman, she assumed I did not understand her Spanish with a Russian accent. Having worked in customer service myself, I remember being taught that good service you may not hear about but poor service or a poor experience will be spoken about. This is why I am writing this. People like that woman should be working with the public!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank love2travel2italy
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel.

I would like to personally apologize for the unfortunate incidents that you experienced with our guest service department . We strive to ensure our guest experience the best experience possible during their vacation and we fell short of our goal this time. All your comments have been forwarded to our managers.

I appreciate your feedback, and hope you give us the chance to make it right.