“Amazing holiday!!!”

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Amazing holiday!!!”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Hi all,
We stayed here from the 26th November to the 10th December.

When you first arrive to this hotel it has the wow factor straight away. There is a beautiful lobby with water fountain plenty of seats and straight away you feel relaxed! Check in was fine for us. Quick and simple and straight to our room.

We stayed in room 3011 which was not even a 2 minute walk from check in.

The room was lovely. It was kept clean by our maid Wanda who I cannot praise enough. She was always smiling and saying hello to us. Her towel designs were beautiful and everyone was different. Our last 3 days Wanda didn't clean our room and we noticed the difference. Our minibar was not restocked, no towel designs, no toilet paper left. I wanted to see Wanda before we left to thank her and unfortunately couldn't do this :(

Food was good. Enough variety every night. We enjoyed the pool restaurant for pizza burgers etc during the day. The main Buffett restaurant was disappointing at times. We went up for dessert and left our drinks at the table, when we came back our table was clear with new people sat there. ALWAYS take an bag to leave at the table!! Service was good but sometimes we didn't have a drink with our meal even though we waited or ordered them. I think to improve this buffet restaurant have dedicated staff to tables or allocate rooms times to eat at restaurants.

We tried 2 out of 4 of the al a cartes. The rodeo was amazing I can not fault any of this definetly try this one. The Italian was ok but again the service poor our mains came out while we were still eating our starters!

Pool and beach were amazing and always enough sunbeds. It is is shame that people leave their towels on sunbeds and never use them. We noticed they would take up the shade or umbrellas and never come down to them.

Bars - there are plenty of bars to drink at. Our favourite was next to the Japanese restaurant by the water. Service was unbelievable and I can't praise the two staff working there! Try the lemon drop martini that was my favourite!!

Entertainment - this was hit and miss! We loved the Michael Jackson show, broadway show and circus show all the others were ok. The entertainment team work hard but if u don't want to take part you don't feel pressured to do so :)

Overall - we would come back here it was an amazing hotel and the staff always so polite. Beautiful grounds and we enjoyed ourselves very much. Thank you to all the staff!!

BE AWARE - we both got sick during different times of our stay. I got sick from eating the butter, it is left out all day and by the evening is runny and warm when I stopped eating this I was fine. My husband had the chilli con carne and was quite ill for 2 days after and didn't eat it again.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Lornaxx
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay at Catalonia Bávaro Resort.

I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our services and facilities, and I know my team will be equally pleased to know of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. I will make sure that Wanda receives your regards.

I am very sorry to hear that you and your husband got sick during your stay. Allow us to inform you that we have a strong hygiene program, certified by an external company. Is good to know that this matter did not stop you from having a great time in our beautiful resort.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future to pamper you as you deserved.

Warmest Regards,

Management Assistant & Executive Committee
HOTEL CATALONIA BAVARO BEACH, GOLF & CASINO RESORT*****

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (921)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 20, 2013

As a first-time visitor to Punta Cana I was pleasantly surprised with the Catalonia. I've stayed at a couple all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and have dealt with a mixed bag, so I was prepared for pretty much anything. I was able to get a great deal on our stay which I think made up for some of the aspects of the resort was lacking mostly in the generic selection of adult beverages. If you're looking for a reasonably priced all-inclusive resort I would recommend Catalonia. The beach is quite serene and beautiful.

I would highly recommend upgrading to the Privileged package to get more amenities and nicer room.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend upgrading to the Privileged package to get more amenities and nicer room th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank GottaRunandFly
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us, we are very pleased and satisfied to read your comments and to know you had a wonderful time.

Is good to know that your expectations were achieved, which is our main goal. Our staff works to make Catalonia Bávaro, the best place for your vacation.

We look forward to welcoming you again!

Cordially.

Management Assistant
CATALONIA BÁVARO Beach, Golf & Casino Resort *****
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We stayed here for two weeks after a week in another hotel in the area.This was our second time in the DR.

Plus Points.
1. The location of the hotel and its beautifully landscaped grounds create a very good first impression. The designers knew what they were doing.
2. The beach is easily accessed and quite wide.
3.The great majority of staff members were cheerful and helpful.
4. We preferred the a la carte restaurants,for quality of food and general ambience, especially the Mexican with Luis and Franklyn and the Rodeo with Lenny..
5. Our rooms were a very good size, as was the bed.
6. We appreciated the whole-site free WiFi and free use of the room safes.

Negative points.
1.Certain services promised were not undertaken or were very difficult to obtain even after repeated referral and complaint. Our room 'fridge was supposed to be re-stocked every second day. It wasn't. We had to complain twice before it was restocked but, even then, it was not fully done.Room towels were supposed to be provided when required. In our second week, fresh towels were provided on the Saturday and no change was made, even after two phone calls and a personal approach to reception. Each time a promise of new towels was made by the reception staff. The new ones arrived late on the day of our departure on the Tuesday.
2. There was a very limited selection of buffet food which needed to be shared with the local birds as the buffets were open-sided. In terms of basic hygiene, there need to be food covers provided, especially at the exposed counters and tables at the beach buffet. The red wine in the buffets at the buffets was , for us, undrinkable. It is unfortunate that there are so many chairs and tables crammed into the buffet areas. At peak times, they resembled poorly-run factory or school canteens which created entirely the wrong atmosphere for enjoying a meal.
3.Whilst the Junior Suite room was spacious, ours was not one of the recently-refurbished ones. It was in a poor state of repair. Especially noteworthy were the cracked and quite dangerously sharp tiles on the side of the bath and the poor re-grouting in the bathroom and the shower/toilet. The table on our balcony had dangerously worn corners which we asked to be replaced. See photo for the "replacement" after complaint. A cover on one of the light switches was sufficiently open to expose the wiring.
4. The surroundings of the pool had a great deal of ingrained dust and dirt in the tile spaces which needed to be cleaned with a pressure-hose and not just superficially washed with water each evening. Barefooted walking on it was unpleasant.
5. Not directly the fault of the hotel itself was the behaviour of quite a number of people from a large Eastern European country who appeared to compose at least 60% of the guests during our first week's stay. We hate to generalise about any people but many, although by no means all of them, showed alternately sullen (refusing to pass the time of day when spoken to or smiled at nicely) There was some boorish,loud and drunken behaviour in the rooms and bar at certain times. The atmosphere in the hotel improved noticeably when many of them had gone. We feel sorry for the embarrassment of their better-behaved compatriots.

It seems that quite a few of the problems the hotel has, are the result of ineffective systems management which does not appear to be addressing the problems of failing to keep the promises and claims it makes to its customers. Hotel staff such as cleaners, waiters, gardeners, etc. appear to be doing their best under difficult conditions and many remain cheerful. We appreciated that. However. we do not think that the hotel deserves our travel company rating and we will not be returning to it.

Room Tip: A recently-refurbished one.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pinsineir
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments online.

On behalf of the Catalonia Bávaro Resort staff we extend our apologies for the discomforts you faced during your stay with us.

I assure you that your comments have been forwarded to the departments involved. We are working closely with the staff to guarantee proper services are being conducted. It is our main objective that our guests receive nothing less than our best.

The staff at Catalonia Bávaro Resort will take into consideration all of your constructive comments and hope, that we will soon be honored with your visit to show you our improvements.

Warmest Regards,

Management Assistant
CATALONIA BÁVARO Beach, Golf & Casino Resort *****
toronto
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We traveled with our son & daughter in law to celebrate my wife's 60th birthday in August & we had a fabulous time! We stayed on the adults only side but were able to "play" on the family resort as well. We loved our room-it was modern, clean and very comfortable and probably the nicest we have ever stayed in. The housekeeping staff were very good and kept things in top shape. The a la carte restaurants, on both resorts, were delicious and the service was great. The restaurants on the adults only side were amazing and had menus to accommodate a variety of tastes and needs. My son, who adheres to a 'gluten-free' diet, was able to have foods that met his restrictions with the assistance of the person at guest services, who wrote a letter for him, which he presented at all the restaurants so we could be sure they understood his needs. The beach was beautiful and ocean lovely, and the infinity pool (one of the two pools on this side) was gorgeous. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and anxious to please. The adults only side was quiet and relaxing and the family side had the action-ie disco, daily activities and nightly entertainment. Our only complaint was that the nightly entertainment was not up to standards of some of the other resorts we have vacationed at. Some of the skits were plain dumb and pretty unsophisticated. I guess they were trying to appeal to all ages, from young children to older adults, but it was truly lacking, in our opinion. There was a pianist and guitar player on the adult side in the bar in evenings, and that was a lot more enjoyable than the family-side entertainment.

On the whole, this resort (adults side) was fantastic and we look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank marc p
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would first of all like to thank you for taking your valuable time to share with us and the rest of the T.A reviewers such an enthusiastic review!

We are very glad to read that you had a wonderful vacations.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

We arrived home to the UK at the beginning of December after a relaxing and fabulous time here at the catalonia in bavaro. This is our 2nd tine to a catalonia hotel, our first being the riviera maya in mexico last year.
This hotel is obviously older than its Mexican cousin, but its nit in any way shabby.
The grounds are lovely and very pleasant to walk around. Lots of greenery and wild life mainly in the form of birds and the occasional hotel dog (who's lovely and happy to sleep by guests sunbeds without causing any bother).
We went with my parents but we had separate rooms. They were on the ground floor of the next block to us. Our room was nice and clean and found nothing to complain about. Ok so we didnt have a hammock for the first half of the holiday but it didnt ruin my holiday. Also there was a really heavy down pour during the one night and our roof leaked in the toilet but we giggled about it and mopped it up with a towel and moved on.
The bed was really really comfortable. Do take your own pillow as you will be glad of it as their pillows are quite lumpy. We left ours there save carrying it home.
We found if we left the lids off glasses in the room containing sweet drinks it attracts small mites (assuming they are like tiny ants). Lesson here put the lid on your pop/soda and wash out your glass. After this we had no problem.
We left a tip most days for the maid but it didnt get us better or worse service regardless.
You probably will get bitten by mosquitos at night. Forget jungle formula as its expensive and in my opinion a total waste of time. If you can get your hands on OFF spray in a red can its fabulous. I noticed the difference when I ran out :-( it smells lovely too. I was given it by the hotel pharmacy. Think it was about $21 for that and a large tube of some kind of hydrocortisone cream which also really helped. The lady in the pharmacy is really helpful. I wondered if she understood me at all as she jabbered on at me in Spanish (I dont speak Spanish) but whatever she gave us worked. We also visited her as my hubby had the usual travellers tummy. Be aware of the ice possibly but also remember tgat the coconut in your drinks is more than likely the cause of your diarrhoea as its a natural laxative (so we found out) and yes we consumed a lot if coconut based drinks. My folks stuck to rum and beer and were fine all holiday (so it really says something).
The pool is lovely. So relaxing. The side nearest the snack bar is a little less busy than the side by the pool bar, for obvious reasons.
The beach is lovely. yes theres sea geass but thats nature. We visited sanoa island and to be honest that was exactly the same as our beach just bigger, less crowded (not that the beach WAS over crowded) and just as much sea grass. Very over priced I think for what it was. If you have a good hotel beach I simply wouldn't bother with the Thompson trip.
If you travel with Thompsons your rep domingo is THE best rep youll ever have. Hes lovely, helpful and very informative. Always has time for his 'family'.
Word of warning the pathways are very slippy when they are wet. I skidded lots in flipflops and converse so please be aware.
The food at the resort was very good. I really cant complain. I certainly didnt starve and I can be picky at times. My favourite restaurant was the steak house. The best bar for drinks is definitely the curacao bar by the Japanese. Take dollars NOT Dominican pesos. Everything is marked up in dollars both in the resort and out and its cheaper than using pesos. You can even pay shop bills (at the hotel reception) in euros if you have any spare at home.
Its $20 to get into the Dominican Republic and $10 to get out. They only accept dollars!!
We really had a lovely time and would certainly return. We wish to try other places and see more of the world hut I will definitely return here.
Go with an open mind. Remember its not the UK or USA. Remember your in the Caribbean where it is more rustic than the marble of Egypt.
Youll have a lovely time. Ill be suprised if you dont.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank HayleznAndy
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing us, we are very pleased to read your comments. We are very satisfied that you had a wonderful time.

We are glad to know that your expectations were achieved which is our main goal. Our staff works to make Catalonia Bávaro, the best place for your vacation.

We look forward to welcoming you again!

Cordially.
Oulu, Finland
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We chose this hotel for our 10th anniversary destination and it proved to be the right choice!
The area is really big and well maintained, and has all kinds of lovely animals to brighten up your day :)

We did'nt like the food in the ala carte restaurants, but the buffet was a mindblowing experience with themes changing everyday and an extremely happy and efficient staff.

We had the normal junior suite and for us it was totally enough, cleanliness was top class . Sure it would need some paint and a little updating but it did'nt mind us at all. If you are more of the picky side of people, i believe going for the privileged would be an option.

If i would had to come up with some negatives, i would say the birds in the buffet, never leave your plate alone if you dont want them enjoying your food while you are getting some refill. Beach, eventhough it was really beautiful, had some problems with trash coming with the tides. Of course this has nothing to do with the hotel. Those are all the negs we came up with and compared with the positive sides its nothing. Totally worth the price and more. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Room Tip: Our room was 2018, and we really liked the location. Near the pools and the beach. Cause the area is...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Aatu81
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience in our Hotel, with our future guests.

It is an honor for us to be part of specials occasions, we are overjoyed knowing that you pleasantly experienced a very fun, memorable & relaxing vacation in our beautiful resort.

From all our staff, thank you again for staying with us, we really appreciate your kind words.

We hope to host you soon!

Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 11, 2013

What a fantastic place for a holiday! The staff here are so friendly and well done to the management
Me and my wife came here to celebrate 25 years of marriage and I could not think of a better way to celebrate it
All the staff are pleased to greet you with a good morning or afternoon! The maids , bar staff are always pleased to help! The food here is very good and every evening there is live entertainment! We are just normal uk working class citizens, and we are having a really good time! Don't go believing things you have read on here! They just ain't true! Come here and make your own decisions you won't be disappointed. Just a shame we have only one more week here then it's back to the uk and work! Tony & nicky room 818

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Tonnick
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the community about your stay here at Catalonia Bávaro Resort.

It is an honor for us to be part of specials celebrations, on this occasion your 25th wedding anniversary, we are overjoyed knowing that you fully enjoyed our beautiful resort and the service of our staff.

We really appreciate your kind words and thank you again for staying with us. It really makes us feel good when we know that we have been successful in accomplishing our mission of giving you an unforgettable stay .

We hope to host you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
#48 of 112 in Punta Cana
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!