“Fun trip but not impressed with Punta Cana”

Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort
Ranked #54 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 21, 2013

After reading many reviews, I was a bit worried going to this location. My husband and I stayed at the Catalonia Nov. 10-15, 2013. Catalonia is a very nice resort. We could see that they are working on updating rooms, which is much needed. In my opinion, the entire resort needs remodeled, but everything was clean which is always my main concern.

Check-in was a nightmare. The front desk staff was very nice, but compeltely unorganized. We got there an hour before check-in, so they had us go to the buffet. When we checked back, our room still wasn't ready, so they suggested we go to the bar. The third time, a different person waited on us and we finally got our room, three hours later....We were upgraded to a privileged room for free, but did not receive the privileged bracelets and perks. It seems that the front desk could use a manager. All of the workers would leave the front desk and go into a back room for a good five minutes. I watched this happen to every single person who was waiting. All guests were getting frustrated with this process.

Our maid was Dora Holiday and she was awesome! I tipped her from day one and she took wonderful care of our room. When we got there, we had no hammock. She had one there for us within five minutes. She stocked our refrigerator daily and gave us extra bottled water for our coffee maker and brushing our teeth.

I was very disappointed to see vacationers NOT tip. If I receive good service, I always tip, whether my meal was paid for in advance or not. In my opinion, if I can afford to go to Punta Cana, then I can afford to tip my bartender $1 every so many drinks and tip my maid at least $5 per day for taking such good care of our room. The workers were so nice and very appreciative when they receieved a tip. I was always thanked and sometimes even hugged.

We had tiny ants in our bathroom. I noticed them on our sink and on the edge of the bathtub. Once I threw away the pretty flowers Dora left for us every day, I got rid of the ants. There were no bed bugs in our room. I checked daily.

The air conditioning worked in our room just fine. It was very cool. Sometimes at night, it made a ticking sound, but after a day in the sun, we slept like babies and didn't hear a thing.

I did see the Orkin man there several times. While packing, I found a hole in my Sketchers tennis shoes, so I threw them away! When we were leaving, there was a huge tarantula on the grass right outside of our room.

The specialty restaurants were all very good. We received good service in all of them. Mikado was my favorite. I was disappointed though that you could only go to each one once during your stay. We never had trouble by not having a reservation and were always seated right away. The buffet by the pool had good pizza and french fries. The buffet at Gran Caribe had good desserts, but we did not care for the food. The eggs were runny for breakfast. It's open air, so if someone doesn't stay at your table, birds will come down and take food off your plate.

Entertainment was just okay. I like Michael Jackson, but got a ltitle tired of so many MJ performances.

The casino is small, but the slot machines definitely let you play. I won back all of the money I played by the end of the week.

We never had a problem getting a seat, whether we were at the pool or in a restaurant or common area. Maria was our waitress all week near the lobby bar/theatre area. She was an excellant waitress! The beach fills up quickly in the morning. Even if you put a towel down, people will move them and just throw your stuff on the sand, which I thought was extremely rude. If you want to sun on the beach, get there early and keep your butt in your chair! haha. We never had a problem with anyone moving our stuff on the pool lounge chairs.

The guys in the lobby really push for timeshares. They kept telilng us we had to go to a presentation. I told them I'm on vacation and don't have to do anything and if I want a timeshare, I will come see them. They finally stopped asking us on day three.

The locals who hang out on the beach down near the market are VERY pushy and are just downright scary. We actually turned around and went back to the resort and didn't leave the resort the rest of the week. They surround you and touch you, telling you that they are starving and asking you to bring them food. I was sorry to see that, but that was a little too much for me.

I got very sick my second and third day. My husband kept bragging that he had an iron stomach, then he got sick on our way home and was still sick five days after we got home. We are both on antibiotics and are being tested for parasites...

Our last day there, some workers were taking pool water and throwing onto the already slick tiles on the pool deck to wash them down. I slipped and fell and got cuts and scrapes all over both of my legs. I did not report it because I did not sprain or break anything and was able to walk, and nobody there spoke English anyway. At that point, I was just ready go home.

The atmosphere is very nice. We always have fun wherever we go, but I don't think we will be visiting the Dominican Republic anytime soon. It just wasn't for us.

A few tips for anyone traveling to Punta Cana: pack plenty of bug spray, sunscreen, immodium and heartburn medicine! And $40 $1's for tipping. Safe travels!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sharon A
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear Guest:

It is a pleasure to know about your stay with us. Thank you very much for your comments.

We are really sorry for the inconveniences you faced during your stay. All the comments you have sent us about customer service and about improving some areas are more than helpful, and we appreciate the feedback we received from our valuable guests.

We will be delighted if you give us another chance by counting again with your presence in our hotel.

Receive warm regards from all our staff!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We spent November 3 – 10 at Catalonia and loved it. I travelled with my spouse and our friends, we are all in our 60's.

The workers there were fantastic. This was our 7th trip to the DR, the 1st to the Catalonia. In our 7 visits I have never felt as welcomed and happy to be there as I did here. Everyone from the waiters in the specialty restaurants, all the way to those refilling coffee at breakfast, were friendly, and seemed to be very happy to be there. We were sitting in the lobby one evening and Spaghetti came over and introduced himself to us. He was such a pleasant person to speak with and we instantly liked him. He was everywhere during the day and always gave a smile and a hug. Thank you Spaghetti! In all our visits, we have NEVER had anyone be as friendly and outgoing towards us as he was.

The food was great, with many options for all 3 meals. We also went to the Steak House and the Italian restaurants, great service and delicious food. The food at the beach buffett at lunch time could use a little variety, but we weren't interested in getting dressed up for lunch.

There is a beautiful beach. Only problem was that at 9:30 all the palapas were taken, but not too many people under them. We would go under a palm tree and watch for an empty palapa around lunch time. Can't imagine what time people get up to mark their spots! Glad it was off season, must be really crowded during high season. Personally I think there should be some restriction on dropping your stuff off and reserving these areas. The nice thing was that this is such an isolated area that there are no beach vendors, with the exception of those selling excursions. Loved not being hounded to buy something.

The grounds were well kept and someone was always working on them.

We went to the casino every night and had a great time playing $5. blackjack. The dealers were staring to warm up to us by the end of the week. The slot machines certainly could use some updating. Half of them didn't work and some you used coins, some dollars.

The rooms were dated, but I don't spend much time in my room. Wi-fi worked part of the time, we were in room 816 and mostly used the wi-fi on the balconey.

Two complaints, one is the showers, they are so small. If I turned or bent down to get something I would shut it off by mistake. Beautiful tubs, but the showers were tough. Bathrooms were a good size with plenty of counter space. The second complaint, as others before me have stated, were the pillows. Felt like a bunch of foam egg crates cut and put in a sack.

I will definitely be here again next year as it was certainly a great deal and a happy place to be.

3  Thank loanlady
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your wonderful experience at Catalonia Bávaro Resort.

It is always a pleasure to read about the wonderful time that our valued guests had during their stay. Our staff is thrilled to know that you, your wife and friends enjoyed everything, the views, the pool, the beach and their great service.

About your comments to improve some areas like the small showers and the pillows, they will be sent to the departments involved to take it into consideration to make your future stay much more comfortable.

We will be glad to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Resort is fine but but lots of bugs. Rooms were fine but stuffed towels and bottom of door to keep bugs out. Take bug spray- we did and still were bitten. Met some fun people and had a good time. Wine was terrible at the bar but in restaurant was fine. Restaurants had good food. Beach had lots of sea grass and sea weeds and sink in muck when in water Water shoes a must.. We used the pool. Staff was very helpful and nice. For the price it was fine.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your recent holiday experience at Catalonia Bávaro Resort. We give serious follow up to all comments received and we utilize it to help us improve our services and facilities.

We apologize for the inconvenience you had during your stay. At the present, we have along the entire year a preventive maintenance program in order to keep improving our areas of opportunity.

We really hope you can give us a chance to treat you as you deserve.

Warm regards.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Where do we begin? A week before we arrive I sent an email to the hotel to request 2 twin beds since myself and a friend were traveling together (with no response). We were traveling for a friend’s wedding and did not stay at the sister hotel (Catalonia Royal) since they did not have the option for 2 beds. When we checked-in (at about 3:30pm on 25Oct2013) our room was not ready so we were told to come back to the desk in an hour and our room would be ready. At this time I confirmed with gentlemen at the desk that the room that we were getting had 2 beds as I requested, he said yes “absolutely”. Fast forward an hour (actually over an hour), we returned to the front desk where they are calling out names for patrons whose rooms were ready one at time. So there we are with 100+ people pushing our way to see if our name gets calling when all of the staff leaves the front desk to go in the back. Finally, 2 hours later after various names have been called and we’re still waiting, the fellow we were dealing with comes out of the back and I flag him down to check on the status of our room. He says it’s ready and gives us 3 keys for 2 people (he states one of them is for good luck). The bell hop drives us to our villa and we proceed up to a room on the 3rd and final floor (Room 3027 - remember this room number for later) where none of the keys work. The bell hop turns to me and says you’ll have to go back downstairs and to the front desk to get the keys fixed. Luckily housekeeping was nearby and let us into the room where we find that there is one King sized bed instead of 2 twins.
The room was pretty large and nice. The mini bar was fully stocked and there was a separate shower from the tub which was nice in case we both wanted to get ready at the same time. We did notice that there were a lot of little tiny almost see through bugs on the desk where the coffee pot was and did not use that area or coffee pot the entire stay because of it. We try to log on to the WIFI from my Blackberry, my iPod, my friend’s phone, and her Kindle to no avail. We enter the bathroom and find there are no washcloths. We also find that there is we were not given the lock or key to the safe in the room. First we call guest services and get no answer (rings then connects to another line and rings then goes to a voicemail box that is all in Spanish). I finally get through to a gentleman and start asking a few things that we need and after I explained that our WIFI in the room didn’t work he said it did. When I told him we tried a few different things on different devices he said it must be the device and to bring it down. As I was trying to explain that all of our devices worked outside our room he hung up before hearing the additional requests.
Once we got settled in we headed down to get the keys fixed, get someone to bring washcloths, get the King Sized bed switched out for two twins, see about the WIFI and get an iron/iron board since we had a wedding to go the next afternoon. They said someone would be right up. Well, the only thing we got was the keys situation fixed. Actually on 2 separate occasions, both of our keys randomly stopped working and had to be reset (the last time it happened, they deactivated the keys we had and gave us 2 new ones instead of just fixing the one that wasn’t working).
There was also an issue with local vendors being on the resort grounds selling jewelry and other crafts. They were very expensive and high pressure. They were also unfortunately located right between the villas and the front desk area so unfortunately every time I had to go to get an issue resolved with our room I was hassled by the vendors to buy something from their table.
The next morning on our way back up to the room from breakfast, my friend requested the iron/iron board again (by this time we figured everything else was a lost cause) and they said someone would bring it right up. Fast forward to a half hour before the wedding, my friend calls down to guest services and explains that she had requested the iron/iron board the day before and earlier that morning. The gentleman asked her when did she need it by and she said as soon as possible since the wedding was in a half hour (3pm). He proceeded to tell her that she waited too late. Needless to say she went to the wedding in a different dress but when we returned to the room… we had an iron/ironing board. We meet back up with the bride and she says that she had left us a hand written note at the front desk to be delivered to us the day before to let us know that there was a get together Friday afternoon (the staff assured her that it would be delivered right away) and that she had called our room and left messages (neither of which we got).
In the middle of the night found myself running to the bathroom every hour and luckily I bought Pepto-Bismol pills with me just in case because judging by some of the other people who got sick while they were there and had to buy medicine at the resort that didn’t work I fared better. I was better by about 5 am but still took it easy with the breakfast the next morning. Speaking of the next morning, we were getting ready for a day of relaxation to find that our ceiling was leaking water from all the rain from overnight. So I was back down to front desk to request that it be fixed or be allowed to switch rooms since we still had not gotten our bed situation cleared. I was told that all the rooms were booked and that they could not move us but they didn’t send someone to fix (or drain the water from the ceiling). The ceiling bulges, which leads me to believe that there is a roof problem and that it’s done it before and it will do it again (remember Room 3027 – beware!!). Once down near the pool area, we were constantly harassed by workers to book our excursions through them only (supposedly for the best deals). Sometimes we were hassled by the same person who didn’t realize they had just talked to us earlier. We had booked an excursion online and when we relayed that we had already booked an excursion and weren’t interested he ask which guy and that we should only book through him for the best price and that he wouldn’t get any money.
On Monday night we are getting ready for dinner when randomly an envelope is slipped until our door… Finally the note that we were supposed to get on Friday!
Tuesday was fantastic as we were away from the hotel on an all day excursion and the next day (30Oct2013) was great since we were leaving.
In general the staff that provided food and drinks was great and the beach and pool were really nice and well maintained. The food, however, was not always great. The first place we ate at was the Mexican restaurant. The food was cold and seemed to be pre-cooked and then reheated a bit before bringing out to us. The sauce used at Italian restaurant tasted like something out of a can. The best place we ate at (our last night there) was the Japanese restaurant which was quite a bit more upscale and the food was certainly plentiful. The sushi could have been better but at least it was edible and didn’t make me sick. There were some activities throughout the day to get involved with and the night entertainment was entertaining. As long as we dealt with everyone else outside of guest services at our hotel we were fine (even the staff at the sister hotels Privileged and Royal were accommodating). At some point the light in the bathroom stopped working (so if you shut the door for privacy it was dark) and there was one day when our room was not cleaned until the evening. We did not bring this up to the quest services staff since all the other encounters were so bad and they seemed to not care. I really didn’t think about it at the time but once I was back in the states I had a lot of weird looking bites (and so did my friend but I thought they were from mosquitoes until remember that I didn't actually see any mosquitoes nor do I remember getting bit which leads me to believe that we had bed bugs (in our one King sized bed)!

Room Tip: Villa 30 is near the nightly entertainment (aka noisy until after 11pm). Ceiling of Room 3027 leaked...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sheryl B

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments online.

On behalf of the Catalonia Bávaro Resort staff we extend our apologies for the discomforts you faced during your stay with us.

It is a shame for us to know that you encountered inconvenients from before coming to the hotel until your last day with us. We genuinely apologize for falling short of your expectations. All your complaints are being evaluated in order that these events do not happen again.

We appreciate your feedback, and hope you give us the chance to make it right.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

In short term: If you have ever been in 5* hotel before, this one is NOT place for you. I can compare this one with 5* hotels in Punta Cana, Mexico, Egypt, Czech Rep. or Thailand and this one hits the bottom so far if it cames up with services and staff.

Let's start with nice parts first. Despite of the facts written down here, we have enjoyed our 14 days stay. Reception was fine, they even replied to my e-mail with my special request and they have actualy kept a promise and it was really nice start (well, no welcome drink was served, but ...). Bit problems with keys not working and room shift for me second day, but they did everything they could and it is absolutely good rating here from me. Free wifi internet in whole complex is nice addition as well - not great in rooms, but ok on balcony.

Hotel itself is beautiful, but rooms are outdated - really nice grounds like a well preserved botanical garden with small pond in the middle, birds, flamingos etc. Be prepared to walk a lot - hotel is huge (in large hotels they have transport for hotel guests from beach to reception, but not in this one). Beach is good (not breathtaking as ppl wrote, but nice - there are much better ones - even in Punta Cana), and there is no problem with sunbeds if you are not too picky with first row. Beach has no clearly "relax and calm" part because in every part some sport activities are. Worse it was around the pool, where no free sunbeds after 10am. Hotel bars are fine also, could be a better with more care, so it looks like nice drink and not just mixed something. Entertainment team does work great, ppl were happy, so many ppl for water gym etc. Food and buffet service differ really day by day, same with room cleaning service. Here the worse parts have started (not going to the theme: hotel is infested with russians which is true ... we all know what a consequences are ...):

Room bar was not restocked like 3 times, not big deal, but this should not happen in 5* hotel. Staff: like 50% people do really hard work and 50% are just lazy, loud and annoying people. Every day you are going to meet many staff on hotel paths for guests on bikes, motorbikes, with carts, walking, grouping and having chat, yeling from block to block, even gardeners are in groups and having fun relaxing "doing nothing" chat everywhere. Really? Every hotel has backside roads to maitain services and staff needs so hotel guests are not in contact with maintaince, not here ... they are just everywhere! Want relax in your room? Well you cannot because maids are going to yell each other from block to block whole day, alomost and having another fun chat with rest of staff. Cleaning in just very quick ... sure, so they have more time for chat. Sea weds on beach is not taken out with sunset but at 10am when all guests are here. Moskitoes and cockroaches in rooms, pick up anti-insect things with you, hotel really does not care about this. Many people were bitten badly. In every hotel I was, they smoked everyday even twice, here - 1 smoke within 14 day. No one give you anti-insect things for socket as in others hotel ... have fun with insect!
Another "fun" is main buffet, which is disaster absolute opposite is beach one, which is really nice. It looks like you are sitting in railway station where they put tables and you can eat. Hot there, no air flow, very dark in food court (barely to be able read food labels). Desserts are just cakes on plate covered with different colors and same taste. You can choose from squares or triangles if you want diversity:-) Contact cuisine is fine to have, but half hour after open and they still do not have heated plates for cooking ... omg! Staff here is chaotic, everyone does everything but in slow motion (imagine man who took 2 plates and moved to kitchen, in others hotels 5-10 plates for 1 route or more - time is being so wasted here - most of staff move slow like a zombie, doing things without order with no single smile. No seat and welcome service. If they have fully prepared table, another staff member destroys it to serve from it to next one. Sometimes you are after dinner and no water served yet (we just selfserved it to us mostly). Birds everywhere eating from prepared meal plates and jumping on tables and in food (good hotel uses nets to protect buffet). Staff is going to eat with you, sit with same buffet, making queues for 5* all inclusive buffet food ... we had a feel we are on excursion in some factory ... I am not going to tolerate this. Food was average, not superior, not bad. In compare with others hotels food is under average.

All above is NOT staff fault, it is very BAD MANAGEMENT and lack of supervisions. We are not going to return to this hotel anymore.

Room Tip: Do not go for Privileged, same everyting, just closer to the beach and private beach and try to get...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Neofema
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments online.

On behalf of the Catalonia Bávaro Resort, we extend our apologies for the discomforts you faced during your stay with us.

We guarantee you that your comments have been forwarded to the departments involved in order to put together an immediate action plan to prevent future matters. We are working closely with our staff, to ensure that the service provided is of the highest quality. It is our main objective that our guests receive nothing less than our best services.

The staff of Catalonia Bávaro Resort, will take into consideration all of your constructive comments and hope that soon, we will be honored with your visit to show you our improvements.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed November 16, 2013

The hotel is clean and old looking. And the beach is all rocky and the seaweed is all over. they have people cleaning the beach all day long. the aircondition was leaking right at the front door. we have to walk everywhere. Very long walks to get to the buffet or the beach. WE waited over ONE hour to get our food at the Italian Restaurant. The other Restaurant like the Rodeo was good and very good service. The shows were ok but big mama and Fernando were great. Also let me mention Fred at the Rodeo restaurant was the best. I had to ask for help with Apple vacation rep and I ask the girl at the customer relation desk if she can help me and she said you need to call their main office and you need to call from your room, this call cost money.

Room Tip: Get ready to walk
1  Thank Lenny116

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent holiday experience at Catalonia Bávaro Resort. We regret any inconvenience you have experienced.

Please accept our sincerest apologies. These unforeseen events undoubtedly caused some dissatisfaction. We want you to know that this is not typical of our hotel.

We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future, and give you the treat you deserve.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We celebrated our "th anniversary here last week of October 2013 and pleasantly experienced a very fun, memorable & relaxing vacation. The animation crew ( Anna, Leonel,, Danny, Fernando, Pluma ... ) were so very entertaining and made our week so exciting. Animation team was excellent. Thank you guys for teaching us merengue, salsa and bachata. We'll try to remember..he he.

Room Tip: If you want to be near where the activities are, choose a room near the pool.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Cataloniabav, Director General at Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience in our Hotel, with our future guests.

It is an honor for us to be part of specials occasions, we are overjoyed knowing that you pleasantly experienced a very fun, memorable & relaxing vacation in our beautiful resort.

From all our staff, especially from the animation team, thank you again for staying with us. We really appreciate your kind words. We will be thrilled if you allow us to teach you, more merengue, salsa and bachata in your next stay!

We hope to host you soon!

Best regards,